Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646856 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3010 on: October 30, 2015, 01:07:55 PM »
There is a difference between minor adaptational changes and completely reworking the meaning of a work because "Narratively it made sense because we wanted to do it".

Now you're just being disrespectful and downright mean. It was "creatively it made sense because we wanted it to happen". :lol

Alright, I think I'll better leave this thread now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #3011 on: October 30, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Oh sorry how could I forget that gem of wisdom

...my name is Araragi.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3012 on: October 30, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
I understand the point you are making with regards to how "game of thrones" will be remembered, but maybe I just havent read the books in awhile or I forgot, but what makes this statement true (I could also just not be understanding what you mean here):

Well primarily because the books are feminist works

There has been a great amount of criticism regarding the show being misogynistic, to some degree I agree with such as the added rape scenes and portrayal of naked women.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: October 30, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Other people more learned on feminism have written detailed esaays on the subject, which I can dig up when I get home if you'd like (on my phone now), but it boils down to the books basically being a feminist deconstruction of Fantasy tropes with an emphasis on the ways women were mistreated in medieval times and the way that treatment cam effect their thinking (see Catelyn and her patriarchy brain), while at the same time having a spectrum of female characters in varying social positions and degrees of internalized misogyny (Cersei is the Queen of internalized misogyny).

When sexual assault happens in the books it is always within that framework and is even willing to show men being sexually assaulted, and appropriately, because their society does not allow them to realize it, not even recognizing that they have been sexually assaulted despite still being traumatized (see Tyrion/Tysha in the barracks and Theon/Jeyne Poole - the assailants in these cases being Tywin and Ramsay respectively). Compare the show's use of sexual assault for shock value or in the case of Margaery's sexual abuse of Tommen (yes, an adult woman sleeping with a 12 year old boy is sexual abuse) being played for laughs.

Compare Sansa's entire arc being derailed so she could be a setpiece for Theon's abuse.

Compare Arianne's complete disappearance and the utter disdain for Dorne in general. More sexually liberated becomes bad pussy.

...my name is Araragi.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: October 30, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
I guess that is interesting, never thought about the books that way and in all honesty I doubt Id read a full paper on it, but I can see what you mean here. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3015 on: October 30, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
Other people more learned on feminism have written detailed esaays on the subject, which I can dig up when I get home if you'd like (on my phone now), but it boils down to the books basically being a feminist deconstruction of Fantasy tropes with an emphasis on the ways women were mistreated in medieval times and the way that treatment cam effect their thinking (see Catelyn and her patriarchy brain), while at the same time having a spectrum of female characters in varying social positions and degrees of internalized misogyny (Cersei is the Queen of internalized misogyny).

When sexual assault happens in the books it is always within that framework and is even willing to show men being sexually assaulted, and appropriately, because their society does not allow them to realize it, not even recognizing that they have been sexually assaulted despite still being traumatized (see Tyrion/Tysha in the barracks and Theon/Jeyne Poole - the assailants in these cases being Tywin and Ramsay respectively). Compare the show's use of sexual assault for shock value or in the case of Margaery's sexual abuse of Tommen (yes, an adult woman sleeping with a 12 year old boy is sexual abuse) being played for laughs.

Compare Sansa's entire arc being derailed so she could be a setpiece for Theon's abuse.

Compare Arianne's complete disappearance and the utter disdain for Dorne in general. More sexually liberated becomes bad pussy.
That is certainly a feminist reading of the books.  Which does not mean that it is the only valid reading of the books.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: October 30, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
Certainly, a Marxist reading would come away with a different interpretation for example. Fact remains that a feminist reading of the books find it to be feminist, but feminist analysis of the show finds the opposite.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3017 on: October 31, 2015, 02:40:28 AM »
I mean, I sort of get what you mean, I only think you're blowing this way out of proportion.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3018 on: October 31, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
I mean, I sort of get what you mean, I only think you're blowing this way out of proportion.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: October 31, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »
You're entitled to intepret it however you wany as am I, just as you're entitled to like it and i'm entitled to think it sucks

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3020 on: October 31, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »
So, you're gonna continue to hate-watch it? Because you know... you don't have to.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3021 on: October 31, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
You're entitled to intepret it however you wany as am I, just as you're entitled to like it and i'm entitled to think it sucks
Yes.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: October 31, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
So, you're gonna continue to hate-watch it? Because you know... you don't have to.

No I'm not, primarily because I don't want more spoilery events revealed stripped of context.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: November 03, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
Big event in the Arab world this month

People are super excited, the announcement was last night and their website is already down due to preorder load :lol
I personally have a strong policy against reading anything that's been translated and I do intend on reading the English books after the shows is through.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: November 03, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
Can you share what that means? A date for the new book?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3025 on: November 03, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
I'm fairly sure it is the news that the series is being translated into Arabic for the first time, which I saw relatively recently as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: November 03, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
I'm fairly sure it is the news that the series is being translated into Arabic for the first time, which I saw relatively recently as well.

oh ok, good for the arabic folk then, its a great show

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3027 on: November 03, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Here's an image of the cover I saw for the Arabic translation (not sure if it already exists or not for other versions but it's the first time I saw it) which I thought was pretty cool.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: November 03, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
Here's an image of the cover I saw for the Arabic translation (not sure if it already exists or not for other versions but it's the first time I saw it) which I thought was pretty cool.

That was the first version of the cover when they announced they were working on it month ago but they got some negative feedback from the fans, I dunno why. The words in the bottom in red say "Coming soon", the cover I posted is the final version I guess, unless they release both.

Sorry I thought it was obvious :lol, it says:
First book from "A Song of Snow & Fire
George R. R. Martin
Game of Thrones
Translated By Hesham Fahmy
And in white over the picture it says "Out: November 15, 2015"
I think the reason they translated "Ice" to a word that means "Snow" is that the word for ice in Arabic doesn't have as much an impact on the ears as the word for snow, I bitched about it on the publisher's fb page heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: November 03, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
Interesting that Snow was the word that worked best, maybe they should have replaced the word fire with Targaryan instead  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: November 04, 2015, 07:04:14 AM »
Haha yeah, keep it straight, no need for symbolism :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: November 17, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
Excited about Ian McShane! Some cocksuckers in the North need some salon style beating heh

Spoilers about his character:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/ian-mcshane-likely-resurrect-game-thrones-fan-favorite-143300177.html

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: November 23, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »

Get pumped!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3033 on: November 23, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
 :metal

Mother of all teases to have Jon Snow on the first poster!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3034 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »
That's a pretty bad ass poster.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3035 on: November 23, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
Great looking poster and man April is still 5 months away.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3036 on: November 23, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
Awesome!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3037 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
It's like, "We couldn't fool you with his 'death', we might as well use him to build the hype"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3038 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
It's like, "We couldn't fool you with his 'death', we might as well use him to build the hype"  :biggrin:

We all know he scurried under the dumpster after he was repeatedly stabbed.....err....wait.......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: November 23, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »

We all know he scurried under the dumpster after he was repeatedly stabbed.....err....wait.......

:lol the relation between these two shows/character deaths is great for humor except both are just so obvious to not be deaths although Jon could be dead but not dead in the sense that he is revived.  Too bad Glenn wasn't revived.. as a zombie.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3040 on: November 23, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
Well, I believe the authors were sincere in saying that Jon Snow was dead. The point is, he will be revived somehow. I'm pretty sure that storyline-wise he didn't survive the stabbing, the red b#tc@ will do something about it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: November 23, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »
Well, I believe the authors were sincere in saying that Jon Snow was dead. The point is, he will be revived somehow. I'm pretty sure that storyline-wise he didn't survive the stabbing, the red b#tc@ will do something about it.

Agreed but even if he is revived, that doesn't necessarily mean Jon Snow is dead.  I personally think he is revived but is now "Jon Stark" and hence the death of Jon Snow, but all in all, is still the same person so then we get into semantics.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3042 on: November 23, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
He would also be free to be Jon Stark - he swore an oath 'til his death to the Night's Watch. Death happened... oath fulfilled  :hat

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3043 on: November 23, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »
But with no Stannis there to legitimise him as a Stark?  I'm not sure I buy the Jon Stark thing.  Unless he just takes the name for himself, which is what I feel all bastards should just do anyway. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: November 24, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
But with no Stannis there to legitimise him as a Stark?  I'm not sure I buy the Jon Stark thing.  Unless he just takes the name for himself, which is what I feel all bastards should just do anyway.

I was thinking that as well, is it possible Davos can do that in the name of Stannis as he was there to witness that offer and is also at the wall currently?

I am also thinking its possible Bran finds a way to communicate to him and through the Weirwood tress Bran is able to see the past and discover Jons true parents?  I really do believe we find out who his parents are this season.