Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646855 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2695 on: May 29, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
The children actors are really on a whole different level. Just shows that child actors can bring a lot to the table, with the right casting and directing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: May 29, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
Yup, I agree about the children... and so HBO released the title of the 10th episode, episode name in spoiler below and some book talk as well:

Mother's Mercy... https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/game-of-thrones-finale-mothers-mercy-lady-stoneheart Is it possible we get Lady Stoneheart?  It would make for a great cliffhanger that could lead to a Riverlands storyline next season?  I hope so, but I am not getting my hopes up after not seeing that in the season 4 finale.

Don't read the spoilers below if you haven't finished A Storm of Swords.

Well, one of Lady Stoneheart alliases was Mother Merciless, so I guess it's possible... but it seems the writers are often trolling us with the titles. Previous episode was named "The Gift", I expected either Arya delivering the gift of death to someone, or maybe Jon offering The Gift (lands south of the Wall) to wildlings, and look at what we've got instead.

And don't even get me started at that "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" title.

Regarding the casting: yeah, I agree, it's been mostly spot on from S1.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: May 29, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Yup, I agree about the children... and so HBO released the title of the 10th episode, episode name in spoiler below and some book talk as well:

Mother's Mercy... https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/game-of-thrones-finale-mothers-mercy-lady-stoneheart Is it possible we get Lady Stoneheart?  It would make for a great cliffhanger that could lead to a Riverlands storyline next season?  I hope so, but I am not getting my hopes up after not seeing that in the season 4 finale.

Don't read the spoilers below if you haven't finished A Storm of Swords.

Well, one of Lady Stoneheart alliases was Mother Merciless, so I guess it's possible... but it seems the writers are often trolling us with the titles. Previous episode was named "The Gift", I expected either Arya delivering the gift of death to someone, or maybe Jon offering The Gift (lands south of the Wall) to wildlings, and look at what we've got instead.

And don't even get me started at that "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" title.

Regarding the casting: yeah, I agree, it's been mostly spot on from S1.

lol you are correct about the writers trolling the book readers

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2698 on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »
The waits between episodes for me seems more agonizing as the season comes to an end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2699 on: May 29, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »

I think it's possible (as I think some things people thought were cut are making it in, but just show up later as they don't introduce things until they actually play a part in the story), but I don't think it's worth assuming it's going to be in it just because it has Mother in the title. It's probably a better idea to just try to actually enjoy the finale rather than just wait to see if some thing from the books gets introduced then end up disappointed.

I honestly thought it was just cut, but I give it a little bit more chance now after recent Season 6 casting announcements. In the past few episodes there have been hints about Oldtown, so I think Sam may go there after all, and now there are casting calls for a character that sounds like Randyll Tarly and Euron Greyjoy. Assuming it is definitely Euron that suggests that they are saving introducing new characters, locations and plotlines (or returning to old ones) until things actually start to happen there and they can devote a whole season to it. Rather than having a location and casting characters in S5 just for Sam to arrive in Oldtown for a single scene, in S6 we will probably see Sam arriving in the Reach and reuniting with his family, Euron leading the Ironborn attack on Oldtown / the Reach, and quite possibly Arya heading from Oldtown to Westeros with a troupe of actors on Faceless Man business. Similarly, Walder Frey is meant to be returning next season so there may be a return of a Riverlands storyline, in which case Lady Stoneheart introduction being saved until now (when she can actually do something) could make sense.

They really did a great job with casting and were especially fortunate with the child actors. They can often be annoying or end up best used sparingly, but in Game Of Thrones they were probably one of the things that people liked most about the show from the start. Arya especially in season 1.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2700 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

I think it's possible (as I think some things people thought were cut are making it in, but just show up later as they don't introduce things until they actually play a part in the story), but I don't think it's worth assuming it's going to be in it just because it has Mother in the title. It's probably a better idea to just try to actually enjoy the finale rather than just wait to see if some thing from the books gets introduced then end up disappointed.

I honestly thought it was just cut, but I give it a little bit more chance now after recent Season 6 casting announcements. In the past few episodes there have been hints about Oldtown, so I think Sam may go there after all, and now there are casting calls for a character that sounds like Randyll Tarly and Euron Greyjoy. Assuming it is definitely Euron that suggests that they are saving introducing new characters, locations and plotlines (or returning to old ones) until things actually start to happen there and they can devote a whole season to it. Rather than having a location and casting characters in S5 just for Sam to arrive in Oldtown for a single scene, in S6 we will probably see Sam arriving in the Reach and reuniting with his family, Euron leading the Ironborn attack on Oldtown / the Reach, and quite possibly Arya heading from Oldtown to Westeros with a troupe of actors on Faceless Man business. Similarly, Walder Frey is meant to be returning next season so there may be a return of a Riverlands storyline, in which case Lady Stoneheart introduction being saved until now (when she can actually do something) could make sense.

They really did a great job with casting and were especially fortunate with the child actors. They can often be annoying or end up best used sparingly, but in Game Of Thrones they were probably one of the things that people liked most about the show from the start. Arya especially in season 1.

Oldtown is pretty damn far away from Braavos. Like 2000+ miles. That'd be quite a journey for Arya to make off camera.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
Oldtown is pretty damn far away from Braavos. Like 2000+ miles. That'd be quite a journey for Arya to make off camera.

That didn't stop LF from travelling from Winterfell to KL in one episode. And also the letter for him arrived from KL to the Vale and then to Winterfell in literally one scene. I don't think the writers really care about logistics in the show universe.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2702 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
I don't think the writers really care about logistics in the show universe.

Neither does GRRM according to his commentary in season one. In fact he mentioned many of the adaptions from book to show that were changed that he doesn't care.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2703 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
The changes he doesn't care about are things like gender/colour of horses, hair/eye colour of minor characters etc.

To be clear I wasn't saying that the show wouldn't just teleport a character, I was more wondering if RuRoRul perhaps had typed Oldtown when he meant Braavos one time or had confused/conflated the two.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2704 on: May 29, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »
The changes he doesn't care about are things like gender/colour of horses, hair/eye colour of minor characters etc.

To be clear I wasn't saying that the show wouldn't just teleport a character, I was more wondering if RuRoRul perhaps had typed Oldtown when he meant Braavos one time or had confused/conflated the two.
No I did mean Oldtown (but not "from Oldtown to Westeros", rather "from Braavos to Oldtown"), but even that's a bit of speculation on my part I didn't really explain my reasons for :lol

It's basically a guess based on comparing what's going on in the books in Oldtown and the fact that if it's being included they will want to bring major characters into it. In the books we have Sam (just arrived at Oldtown), Euron raiding the Reach and likely planning to attack Oldtown, and Jaqen the Faceless Man in Oldtown to do... something. Since Jaqen (or at least his face) has already been used in Braavos and we obviously haven't been shown that there's a Faceless Man in Old aving her head to Oldtown would be a good way of bringing her back and also establish the three parties that might be involved in Oldtown storyline next book - Sam, Greyjoy threat and Faceless Men. She wouldn't have to get there straight away but I think if she is travelling in season 6 then Oldtown is a feasible destination.

That didn't stop LF from travelling from Winterfell to KL in one episode. And also the letter for him arrived from KL to the Vale and then to Winterfell in literally one scene. I don't think the writers really care about logistics in the show universe.
If you mean in this season, I'm fairly sure LF left Winterfell in episode 3 and showed up in KL in episode 6... although Catelyn Stark already made the journey from Winterfell to KL in a single episode at the beginning of the show anyway. No idea why they had to have "a rider" go from the Vale to Winterfell in the space of a single episode rather than "a raven", since no one knows how fast ravens can travel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: May 29, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »

If its true about the casting for Euron, then it also makes sense as to why we have not seen Balon die yet.  It is all part of that storyline, and I think they may use that in the show for Stannis to believe that Melissandre is not always right because Balon isn't dead and therefore he does not sacrifice Shireen and he loses the Battle for Winterfell... and then Balon dies and fufills that prophecy lol just an idea

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: May 29, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
If you mean in this season, I'm fairly sure LF left Winterfell in episode 3 and showed up in KL in episode 6...

No, pretty sure he appeared in episode 4 to tell Sansa the story about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

By the way, I'm alright with the show speeding up some travels from town to town. It's just kind of fun to point out for me.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2707 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
The arrival of Sansa back to WF seemed a rather tame return. I thought they'd show it to be a bit more dramatic when Sansa first sees her hometown. I had to make the connection later that they were already in WF when talking at the tombs.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2708 on: May 29, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
If you mean in this season, I'm fairly sure LF left Winterfell in episode 3 and showed up in KL in episode 6...

No, pretty sure he appeared in episode 4 to tell Sansa the story about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

By the way, I'm alright with the show speeding up some travels from town to town. It's just kind of fun to point out for me.
Yep you are right, I was thinking of the scene where he gets the summons to King's Landing. Still, a one episode gap was better than I expected as I had heard rumours LF was meant to be in KL as early as episode 4 :lol

Yeah, one of the touches of realism in book 4 and 5 I enjoyed was the fact that it being autumn meant the seas were very dangerous with lots of storms, so there was a real element of danger to any ship voyage that adds to the atmosphere. But on the other hand I really am fine with not having a character's entire season devoted to a travelogue every time they need to be somewhere else, even though you lose the sense of distance in the world.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2709 on: May 29, 2015, 07:55:56 PM »
Even though we already knew GRRM wouldn't write another episode for the next season, I guess it's even more official now.
https://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/29/george-rr-martin-game-thrones-season-6

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2710 on: May 29, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
I really want Ramsey to die

I don't know how much more of this Reek shit I can take. Or any of Ramsey's bullshit for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:04:10 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2711 on: May 30, 2015, 04:27:26 AM »
I really want Ramsey to die

#1 on my kill list.  Cersei is #2.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2712 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:11 AM »
She's my number 2 as well.

The fact that she's gonna give fanatics pretty much absolute power just because of her spite says it all.

Olenna Tyrell said it perfect when she told Cersei that her father knew that sometimes you have to work with your rivals. tywin was fascinating and incredibly strategic. Cersei is just some spiteful, vindictive bitch and I love that it is now blowing up in her face, considering if the fanatics are gonna arrest people for homosexuality, I wonder what they will do for incest. 

She had no idea what she was doing giving them power.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:25:55 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2713 on: May 30, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »
Who I hated at first now I like his character.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2714 on: May 30, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
I can't believe Cersei isn't #1 on your kill list people, it has literally been one of the main reasons I kept watching this show; seeing her broken, defeated or dead, I haven't read the books so I don't know but I don't remember ever hating a character that much.
I don't even have a number #2 anymore, it used to be Joffory, most of the other villainous characters on this show are too fascinating for me to wish them gone, including Ramsay.
I've liked Ramsay's character every since he showed up even though I also really liked Theon's from the beginning. Ramsay kinda reminded me of Chris Nolan's Joker from The Dark Knight. I remember wishing Joffory would somehow fall victim to Ramsay and go through everything Theon went through. I wasn't happy that Joffory went fast and I hope Cersei doesn't either.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2715 on: May 31, 2015, 08:00:38 PM »
FUCK

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: May 31, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
Wow

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2717 on: May 31, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
FUCK

Wow

:omg:  Holy  :censored was that a good episode! Guess we found out Valarian steel is as good as Dragon glass!? And, the White Walkers are virtually unstoppable.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2718 on: May 31, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
Excellent, excellent, excellent!! They continue to raise the bar. That final scene was fantastic!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2719 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Excellent, excellent, excellent!! They continue to raise the bar. That final scene was fantastic!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

That White Walker 'King' raising his arms then raising the dead as White Walkers was pretty chilling! For a brief second I thought he was going to motion his army forward and they'd just swarm on the water.....but what he actually did was way more intense!

You just get the feeling that the Dragons would eventually come in to play in that grand battle....it only seems fitting. But that battle scene was fantastic. I was surprised the 'new' lady willing character that was featured was killed so quickly.....being a Mom really backfired on her on that one.  :lol

All that and they still managed to throw some cool Arya stuff in there, more Cersi humiliation AND a couple killer scenes with Dany and Tyrion. I've got a feeling with it being the 9th episode next week she's going to slaughter those people at the games like she was challenged to do....and it'd be killer!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2720 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:35 PM »
RIP Wildling babe.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:07:39 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2721 on: June 01, 2015, 05:04:32 AM »
Quite possibly the best episode of the show, certainly up there as one of them. Hardhome battle was fantastic, definitely the best battle sequence (Blackwater was probably the most complex story-wise and had the best character based scenes, the battle at the Wall had some of the best raw action and combat scenes, but the scale, atmosphere and intensity of this one was amazing).. All the other storylines touched in the first half in the episode were good too (Cersei's scenes being the best of those).

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2722 on: June 01, 2015, 05:52:42 AM »
Yep, this episode was fantastic. Definetely the best one this season, maybe even the best one overall, if the next 2 episodes continue to be this strong I'll totally forgive them some of the more lackluster elements this season *ahem* Dorne *ahem*.

Every scene just delivered hard. Loved the Arya parts, loved the Tyrion/Dany interaction, loved seeing Cersei so humiliated, and Hardhome. Holy Shit. What a brilliant Battle Sequence.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: June 01, 2015, 06:20:44 AM »
So Valyrian Steel works the same as Dragon glass I guess, that's new even for book readers!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2724 on: June 01, 2015, 06:43:38 AM »
Fantastic episode!  That was glorious!

On a side note - the members of the band Mastodon were among the wildlings in the fight at Hardhome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
Amazing episode, the scene at Hardhome felt as intense and well made as the battle of the Wall last season.
Cersei's scenes were sooooooooooooooooooo gratifying for me, I'm in love with that tall lady jailer.
My wife insists that the zombies are called white walkers too, I kept telling her that they're just regular walkers :lol, she says "they die and turn into white walkers" but I say the White Walkers are the different breed creatures, the dead they raise are just turbo versions of your normal Rick Grimes walkers, am I wrong?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2726 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
The main creatures are the White Walkers, also known as the Others.

The creatures that rise from the dead are wights.  They are subservient to the White Walkers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: June 01, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
The main creatures are the White Walkers, also known as the Others.

The creatures that rise from the dead are wights.  They are subservient to the White Walkers.

This, but the show does not refer to them as Others, only as White Walkers, but the show also has not done a good job at naming the Whites as different names than the White Walkers so I can get the confusion, a few other show only watchers have asked me this question before.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2728 on: June 01, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
The show has referred to them as the Others.  That is how various characters who don't believe in their existence have referred to them, or in oaths/curses ("The Others take your worthless hide!").

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2729 on: June 01, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
Holy shit, what an episode. I was clenching my fists pretty much all the way through the Hardhome scene. I was already sort of spoiled that the White Walkers would show up, so all week I've been thinking 'if they do show up I won't be surprised, and if they don't I'll be disappointed'. I wasn't exactly surprised, but oh my god did it deliver. And I love every single mention of the Walkers on the show, so this episode was a GoT wet dream for me. And I agree, quite possibly the best episode of the show so far.

The rest of the season might be excellent, but I think it'll be tough to top this one.

The show has referred to them as the Others.  That is how various characters who don't believe in their existence have referred to them, or in oaths/curses ("The Others take your worthless hide!").

What I can recall, none of that has actually been used on the show, only in the books.

And the show has referred to the wights as wights a few times, but the last time was in season 2 I think, so that's a long time ago. But they look vastly different, so I don't completely get the confusion.