Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646831 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2240 on: April 20, 2015, 04:00:54 AM »
Well, he was from Braavos, right? So if he's not dead, we may meet him this season. I don't know if he's alive or dead; I think he's dead, but I think we won't ever get the answer about that. Intentional vagueness and all that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2241 on: April 20, 2015, 04:07:36 AM »
I only say that because it clearly never says he dies in the book.  And if you watch the episode where he "dies", after the scene cuts away from him to Arya, the first thing you hear fall to the ground is a metal sword.  So who is to say he wasn't able to unsword someone and survive?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: April 20, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »
Cool to see Jaqen again, but I can't tell if its the same actual person or its a different person who is just using his face.  Either way, cool to see the actor again.

Streamlining Jon becoming LC was a good choice, there seems to be bigger plans for Jon this season than the book version so making him LC sooner rather than later was a good choice and Sam giving his speech was awesome. 

Arya's list of names was significantly shorter, I thought that was weird.  I guess the show is just dropping the names of the people who isnt likely to kill?  No idea there, just weird.

The Mereen storyline seems like it will be much more interesting than in the books and seeing Drogon again was awesome.  The two dragon scenes this seasons showed thatn Dany really only has a bond with 1 of the 3 of them.

I really liked the Small council scene with Kevan and Qyburn.  I think in general, I always like the small council scenes, but this one was cool because the council is just soo different now. 

Bronn looked so different yet acted the exact same! I don't have good feelings for him going to Dorne though.  Jaime going there could be a better storyline than where he goes in the books.  Should be very interesting to see how that plays out.

And Dorne looks awesome!  I was surprised it didn't show up in the opening credits though, I got to think it shows up next week though?  Maybe replace the Eyrie since I don't believe any characters are actually there now.  Doran looks the part too, as well area Aero Hotah.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2243 on: April 20, 2015, 06:36:36 AM »
Meryn Trant? You know, that guy from Kingsguard. If I recall correctly, he was the one who beat Sansa on Joffrey's orders back in Season 2.

Ahhhhhh right.  Nice, nice.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2244 on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
One thing I forgot to say on the last post. The show knights of the Vale are still totally worthless! :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2245 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
One thing I forgot to say on the last post. The show knights of the Vale are still totally worthless! :lol

:lol   Seriously, they couldn't find a woman who is taller than the trees and a halfwit squire. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2246 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
S5 is off to a great start. :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2247 on: April 20, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »
and seeing Drogon again was awesome.  The two dragon scenes this seasons showed thatn Dany really only has a bond with 1 of the 3 of them.

Well in fairness she's had the other two chained and locked away so they're probably pretty ticked at her  :lol  Once (if) she frees them I'm sure Drogon being the Alpha and leader will basically control those two anyway, so she really just needs to maintain that bond with him.

I've not read the books so I'm strictly a show watcher and I'd say all in all the season is off to a good start....seems like they opened with two 'build' episodes rather than in your face 'action'....but it's been neat. I really liked the 'vote' getting Jon Snow in as leader and it was awesome seeing Cersi's uncle put her in her place!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
I've not read the books so I'm strictly a show watcher and I'd say all in all the season is off to a good start....seems like they opened with two 'build' episodes rather than in your face 'action'....but it's been neat. I really liked the 'vote' getting Jon Snow in as leader and it was awesome seeing Cersi's uncle put her in her place!

Yeah, I really liked that small council scene. Loved Kevan standing up to Cersei, and the actor is great too. One of my favourite moments of this episode.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2249 on: April 20, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
LOVED the two episodes so far. The last episode felt like half setup and half story progression with Daenerys and her decision in the public eye. The small council scene was awesome, as they usually always are. I have to say this is one show where I literally listen to every single word during spoken parts.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
I like the anticipation of Tyrion arriving to meet Daenerys right at the time she desperately NEEDS exactly HIM to essentially 'train' her to be a Queen. Teach her the ins and outs and what not. She's surrounded by some good advisers.....but getting him on board and having his expertise....knowledge AND inside information about King's Landing and all the 7 Kingdoms.....that can only be good for her IMO.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2251 on: April 20, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
Yeah, I really liked that small council scene. Loved Kevan standing up to Cersei, and the actor is great too. One of my favourite moments of this episode.

Plus, Qyburn is looking super creepy in that chair.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2252 on: April 20, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Cool to see Jaqen again, but I can't tell if its the same actual person or its a different person who is just using his face.  Either way, cool to see the actor again.

Streamlining Jon becoming LC was a good choice, there seems to be bigger plans for Jon this season than the book version so making him LC sooner rather than later was a good choice and Sam giving his speech was awesome. 

Arya's list of names was significantly shorter, I thought that was weird.  I guess the show is just dropping the names of the people who isnt likely to kill?  No idea there, just weird.

The Mereen storyline seems like it will be much more interesting than in the books and seeing Drogon again was awesome.  The two dragon scenes this seasons showed thatn Dany really only has a bond with 1 of the 3 of them.

I really liked the Small council scene with Kevan and Qyburn.  I think in general, I always like the small council scenes, but this one was cool because the council is just soo different now. 

Bronn looked so different yet acted the exact same! I don't have good feelings for him going to Dorne though.  Jaime going there could be a better storyline than where he goes in the books.  Should be very interesting to see how that plays out.

And Dorne looks awesome!  I was surprised it didn't show up in the opening credits though, I got to think it shows up next week though?  Maybe replace the Eyrie since I don't believe any characters are actually there now.  Doran looks the part too, as well area Aero Hotah.
If I recall, wasn't that at the end of book 3, and aren't they like in book 4/5 territory right now? So technically, I'd say they're pretty much right on track

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2253 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
Yeah, Jon's election is his last chapter from A Storm of Swords. So from now on, Jon is into his Feast For Crows/Dance With Dragons stuff.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2254 on: April 20, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
Honestly, some of the changes already seen this season have me kinda excited. Especially Jaime and Bronn buddy-ing it up!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:02 PM »

If I recall, wasn't that at the end of book 3, and aren't they like in book 4/5 territory right now? So technically, I'd say they're pretty much right on track

Yup, from book 3.  I meant that the book version of him becoming LC was a bit longer process and the show cut most of that long process out which was what I enjoyed.

Honestly, some of the changes already seen this season have me kinda excited. Especially Jaime and Bronn buddy-ing it up!

This.  Instead of adding more characters, they are using existing characters and having them interact with other existing characters (such as Brienne).  I very much enjoy this.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2256 on: April 20, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Meant to post this here instead of the other thread.

Also another great piece of conversation between Tyrion and Varys. Excellent banter by the two actors.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2257 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:29 PM »
Yeah, I've heard several people saying that that scene was unnessecary, but I certainly enjoyed it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: April 20, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
Yeah, I've heard several people saying that that scene was unnessecary, but I certainly enjoyed it.

Well Varys mentioned they are going to Volantis which is interesting and changes where we thought they were going from last week (Mereen) so that scene doesnt seem unnecessary to me for that alone, plus the additional dialogue between those two characters.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2259 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
Well to be fair they are still going to Meereen, Volantis is just a pit stop on their way there. But I agree, the scene offered both an update and some new details to their journey, as well as giving us fun dialogue.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2260 on: April 20, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
Two episodes in and they're doing some really good stuff so far. Qyburn was really creepy, Kevan is completely awesome, Cersei is a bitch, Doran was great, and JAQEN! That was a nice touch.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
I was glad to see the same actor from before playing Jaqen H'ghar, his last appearance kinda gave me the impression that he'll keep changing faces and that if we ever get to see him again it will be a different actor, I really like that actor's performance and delivery.
On the question of why Jaqen didn't admit Arya right away; I think it might have something to do with her asking for him by name, I only got that impression from what he said at the end of the episode.
The Red Lady was definitely on Arya's list, I dunno why she isn't anymore.
My eyes kinda watered when Stannis offered Jon legitimacy, he really deserved it and I would have taken it but I understand why he didn't, it would have led to a story of a fairy tale finish if he conquers as the lord of Winterfell and along with Stannis become the new Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. A vengeance story similar to the one Martin avoided by killing Rob Stark. Also I think Stannis would have killed Jon Snow once he sat on the Iron Throne, he's too full of himself to knowingly have someone who's family name has so much loyal following rule the North.
Daenerys Targaryen is incredibly stupid, I think she should let a French Revolution kind of aftermath happen between the former slaves and the old masters, yes it's good that she wouldn't let the slaves retaliate with massacres under her rule but she still needs them to put constant fear into the masters hearts.
Still waiting to see Theon Grejoy.
Everything about this show is exciting hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2262 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
On the question of why Jaqen didn't admit Arya right away; I think it might have something to do with her asking for him by name, I only got that impression from what he said at the end of the episode.
It was kinda of a teaching moment, Jaqen is a Faceless Man and Faceless Men are no one because they can be anyone.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2263 on: April 21, 2015, 02:23:32 AM »
The Red Lady was definitely on Arya's list, I dunno why she isn't anymore.

I've been thinking that it's maybe because she doesn't know her name. She says in season 4 that Rorge couldn't be on her list because she didn't know his name. But still, if that's true, I don't know why Melisandre was ever on her list at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2264 on: April 21, 2015, 06:30:10 AM »
Finally watched the new episode last night, and as a fan of the novels, I was left with a large sense of WTF

But it was definitely a good episode.  Just really weird for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: April 21, 2015, 06:32:40 AM »
Finally watched the new episode last night, and as a fan of the novels, I was left with a large sense of WTF

They included Lyanna Mormont's letter though! I really liked that.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: April 21, 2015, 06:35:11 AM »
Yeah, Mrs. P and I had a long conversation last night about the changes. At first, I think we both were lamenting any changes... but the more we talked it out the less negative impact we can foresee. I think there really could be some major upsides to the changes too. Bron and Jamie's mission  could be really fun.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2267 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »
Yeah, Mrs. P and I had a long conversation last night about the changes. At first, I think we both were lamenting any changes... but the more we talked it out the less negative impact we can foresee. I think there really could be some major upsides to the changes too. Bron and Jamie's mission  could be really fun.

Of course that will be fun.  You have two of the three biggest wiseasses in the show. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: April 21, 2015, 07:07:48 AM »
The pairing of Jaime and Bronn can be a lot of fun to see and it's a change to the books that I think will be very good although

I do fear for Bronn's life now, which would suck because he is one entertaining character, but given his book counterpart's story is seemingly done and the book version of what happens to the Kings Guard in Dorne isn't very positive.  If someone dies here, I doubt it is Jaime so that leaves Bronn very susceptible.  At the same time, without Arianne, who knows what's going to happen with the Dornish plot

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2269 on: April 21, 2015, 07:28:04 AM »
Yes, the pairing of Jaime and Bronn should be entertaining, to say the least.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2270 on: April 21, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »
Anyone a fan of soundtracks of the show? I love the OSTs of season 3 and 4. Some of my fav tracks are from 4: Watchers on the wall, Thenns & The Children. Dracarys from season 3 is a great one as well. Many other tracks are excellent as well. I'm sure this season's soudtrack will be great as well.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2271 on: April 21, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
The track 'Breaker of Chains' from season 4 is probably my favorite. Very powerful. I have even formed a scene from my own novel to the emotion of that track.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2272 on: April 21, 2015, 07:38:49 AM »
Yea love that track as well. Also the 2nd part of First of his name, love the buildup and high sense of dread in the track.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: April 21, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
At this point I can't see Stannis being patient with Jon anymore, he turned down his offer and have not been of any use to him. I wonder what Stannis will do with him and whether Jon being commander of the NW makes him immune in the eyes of Stannis.
Speaking of Stannis; the actress that plays his wife is pretty good at portraying the dumb religious face of the devoted, that plain yet aggressive look.
And of that religion; does anybody think Melisandre is fake? I used to think so but she's shown enough to prove her god is the true god, unless all the does is that world's version of black magic. Her deal with the spell to kill Joffry and Rob Stark seemed to have work but maybe it was just coincidence since the spell also included papa Greyjoy -don't remember his first name- who's still alive, I don't remember if Tywin Lannister was on her list as well.

Anyone a fan of soundtracks of the show? I love the OSTs of season 3 and 4. Some of my fav tracks are from 4: Watchers on the wall, Thenns & The Children. Dracarys from season 3 is a great one as well. Many other tracks are excellent as well. I'm sure this season's soudtrack will be great as well.

I love the soundtrack CDs, The Children from season 4 OST and the slowed down theme titled Game of Thrones on the 2st or 2nd OST are among my favorites.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: April 21, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
At this point I can't see Stannis being patient with Jon anymore, he turned down his offer and have not been of any use to him. I wonder what Stannis will do with him and whether Jon being commander of the NW makes him immune in the eyes of Stannis.

I'd think Stannis understands Jon's importance in getting the Wildlings and the NW to fight with him. I can't see him ordering Jon to be maimed or executed.....it just wouldn't do him any good to do that. I think he knows Jon is a leader and someone who a lot of people will follow so he just has to figure out the right way to convince Jon to help him.