Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645166 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2205 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »
I get he wanted to hold true to his values of not bending, but he got a good offer and died for seemingly very little reason other than his own pride.

All this while he was saying it's not about pride at all. :lol Yeah, I agree, that was kind of stupid.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2206 on: April 14, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »
I thought that Mance spoke very eloquently on why he wouldn't kneel. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: April 14, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
I thought that Mance spoke very eloquently on why he wouldn't kneel.

Maybe so, but what "king" who has already surrendered, wouldn't take a hit on his pride to protect his own people and secure their safety?  That's why it just seemed like a pointless death

And its hard to just forget what he does in the book which for me, showed that Mance was the man

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2208 on: April 14, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »
I think the red cunt wants to devour him, but Stannis seems to hold some regard Jon Snow being Ned Stark's son.
I feel that Jon Snow sold Stannis offer extremely short to Mance, Stannis told him he'll let the Wildlings have lands and settle south of the wall! the whole reason they fought and were to continue fighting if they had defeated the night's watch and got passed the wall! Basically they were gonna do everything they were set out to do with the addition of being legal residents/neutralized citizens of Westeros, which means they would avoid future wars with the kingdoms which were to surely crush them at one point or another, Jon Snow didn't tell Mance the full offer and didn't argue any of these points, felt like they were just pushing for Mance to die.

There's a lot of book to fit into these episodes, so I guess with the time restraints they didn't want to spend too much time on this offer.  Being that Mance dies I guess the writers felt it wasn't that important to really go into too much detail anymore. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2209 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
Plus, it is stated in the books that Stannis had talked to Mance himself before. I don't remember if that was kept in the show, but that would explain why Jon wouldn't need to run through the entire deal again and mostly focus on the 'why'.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2210 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
When Jon came in, Mance pretty much knew what he was coming to talk to him about so I think we can assume Stannis or someone had talked to Mance before. Jon just tried to convinced him to take the deal.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
I dont remember, but I thought Stannis had said he talked to him already and told Jon to go see if he could convince him.  I may be wrong, I was half asleep watching the episode.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2212 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »
I checked the episode again. He never plainly says it, but he tells Jon that he knows that Mance likes him, which at least implies that they've been talking.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2213 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Yeah Mance clearly knew the details already. But the details were irrelevant. It's not about "being accepted" into the lands - the wildlings are all about their freedom.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2214 on: April 14, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
If he knew then he's a fool for not accepting it for the sake of his people, I would have at least chosen to meet with the Wildlings tribe leaders and put it to a vote. Now what's gonna happen to the Wildlings? I don't see them being held captive anywhere by the Stannis forces which is on the move and far from base. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.
The one story I'm very invested in that wasn't touched upon in the premiere is Theon Greyjoy and Ramsay Bolton, very excited to see what's next for Theon, hoping for a good redemption story there.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: April 14, 2015, 03:57:09 PM »
If he knew then he's a fool for not accepting it for the sake of his people, I would have at least chosen to meet with the Wildlings tribe leaders and put it to a vote. Now what's gonna happen to the Wildlings? I don't see them being held captive anywhere by the Stannis forces which is on the move and far from base. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.
The one story I'm very invested in that wasn't touched upon in the premiere is Theon Greyjoy and Ramsay Bolton, very excited to see what's next for Theon, hoping for a good redemption story there.

Yea, I think Theon/Ramsay and the Boltons in general in Winterfell is going to be a good storyline this season.  I think we see them next episode.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2216 on: April 15, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »
I checked the episode again. He never plainly says it, but he tells Jon that he knows that Mance likes him, which at least implies that they've been talking.

I thought you like it when a show doesn't answer everything for you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2217 on: April 16, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
I actually rewatched it myself and yes, Stannis never said he talked to Mance, but Mance says he already knew the terms Stannis gave him implying they talked already.  That was fairly clear IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2219 on: April 16, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
Okay noowwwwww I know why I had to read further.   :biggrin: 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2220 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »

That was one of my favorite parts of DwD when you realize Mance was the fuckin man with his spearwives fuckin shit up!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2221 on: April 16, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »

I thought you like it when a show doesn't answer everything for you. :lol

I never said I didn't like this. I'm perfectly fine with the episode, I'm just addresing other's "concerns".

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2222 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »

That was one of my favorite parts of DwD when you realize Mance was the fuckin man with his spearwives fuckin shit up!

That was a holy shit moment for me.   :lol   Along with.... griff....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: April 16, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

Im assuming Ramsay kills him which is why he was expendable in the show, and this may be show spoilers so read at own will (its really just fan theory)

Speculation that I read is that Brienne and Pod will take thier place and head to winterfell this season.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2224 on: April 16, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »

Im assuming Ramsay kills him which is why he was expendable in the show, and this may be show spoilers so read at own will (its really just fan theory)

Speculation that I read is that Brienne and Pod will take thier place and head to winterfell this season.

I confused now.  Whose place are they taking? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: April 16, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »

Mance and the spearwives, since Mance is dead in the TV show.  Like I said, pure speculation at this point but makes sense since no Lady Stoneheart in the show so what does Brienne do?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2226 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
This was a a really good episode! Nothing jaw-dropping happened, but a lot of good things did.

But as a book reader it was interesting/weird to see SPOILERS AHEAD

Ellaria be so bloodthirsty since in the book she's the only one seeking peace and no war. I swear some of her lines said to Doran where said by Arianne in the books, so now I'm sad because that means they wrapped that character to Ellaria (or so I'm thinking). The switch in Cersei's and Jaime's dynamic in regards to their children, show-Cersei being the one who wanted Jaime to be there for the kids and show-Jaime being all like "but incest though". And of course, Jaqen.

The choosing of the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch felt too fast.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2227 on: April 19, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »

Mance and the spearwives, since Mance is dead in the TV show.  Like I said, pure speculation at this point but makes sense since no Lady Stoneheart in the show so what does Brienne do?

Well now we know what Brienne is doing... 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2228 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:46 PM »

Oh and why do you say that there is no Lady Stoneheart?  I saw one of those panel interviews where someone brought that character up and they immediately shushed the guy because it's apparently some big secret still.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2229 on: April 20, 2015, 02:04:18 AM »
Cool to see Jaqen again. The execution of Mossador was well done, and the former slaves hissing at Dany was creepy. Jon being the Lord Commander is awesome! I agree that it might feel rushed compared to the books, but several days and episodes of quiet political skeeming would just drag too much on the show. Nice to see Dorne (althogh briefly) for the first time.

Also, 8 out of the 9 previous posts have been either small text or referensing small text. Is Dimitrius and I the only ones with comments about the current events, and not spoilers? As someone who avoids small text like the plague, it disappoints me every time I enter this thread and there's a bunch of new posts I can't even read.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: April 20, 2015, 02:23:29 AM »
Jon Snow becoming LC felt rushed indeed. I felt like he was chosen because it was needed to advance the plot. Granted, I thought the same thing in the books, so the show nailed this one I guess. I liked Jon scene with Stannis much better though.

Great to see Jaqen back indeed, though I was a bit baffled with the fact he refused to let Arya in first, and then found her in the streets and brought her back. Why refusing her entrance in the first place, if he intended to let her enter anyway? And if not, what made him change his mind? It kind of felt like "we need to dramatically reveal Jaqen's comeback, and we can't do that in the very first Arya scene, so let's stretch this out a bit" decision.

Also, what happened to Arya's list? I seem to recall Melisandre was here for certain. And wasn't Tywin in the list too? I doubt Arya knows he's already dead at this point.

Anyway, that's just me nitpicking. I liked this episode better than the first one. Also I only have some vague ideas where Sansa storyline is going, because nothing of that sort was in the books, but I bet she's going to regret sticking with LF instead of Brienne. Because sticking with LF is always bad news. Not that she knows it, but still. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2231 on: April 20, 2015, 02:31:04 AM »
Cool to see Jaqen again. The execution of Mossador was well done, and the former slaves hissing at Dany was creepy. Jon being the Lord Commander is awesome! I agree that it might feel rushed compared to the books, but several days and episodes of quiet political skeeming would just drag too much on the show. Nice to see Dorne (althogh briefly) for the first time.

Also, 8 out of the 9 previous posts have been either small text or referensing small text. Is Dimitrius and I the only ones with comments about the current events, and not spoilers? As someone who avoids small text like the plague, it disappoints me every time I enter this thread and there's a bunch of new posts I can't even read.

I was kind of glad to see the Lord Commander voting go quickly, though in the book the scheming did lend a bit of wiliness to Sam's character. I felt the banter between Tyrion and Varys was bland and really did nothing to advance their story. How long before Griff..hehe.

I was glad to see Drogon come back, albeit for a quick moment.

It should be interesting to see the wise ass banter between Bronn and Jaime also.  I'm not sure I fully agree with that change.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2232 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:44 AM »
Great to see Jaqen back indeed, though I was a bit baffled with the fact he refused to let Arya in first, and then found her in the streets and brought her back. Why refusing her entrance in the first place, if he intended to let her enter anyway? And if not, what made him change his mind? It kind of felt like "we need to dramatically reveal Jaqen's comeback, and we can't do that in the very first Arya scene, so let's stretch this out a bit" decision.

Also, what happened to Arya's list? I seem to recall Melisandre was here for certain. And wasn't Tywin in the list too? I doubt Arya knows he's already dead at this point.

I thought it had to do with her standing up to those thugs in the street, like maybe a test of character or something.  I dunno. 

I couldn't even make out the last name on her list, who was it?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2233 on: April 20, 2015, 03:21:46 AM »

I thought it had to do with her standing up to those thugs in the street, like maybe a test of character or something.  I dunno. 

I couldn't even make out the last name on her list, who was it?

sneakyblueberry

;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: April 20, 2015, 03:24:19 AM »
Meryn Trant? You know, that guy from Kingsguard. If I recall correctly, he was the one who beat Sansa on Joffrey's orders back in Season 2.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2235 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:42 AM »
Meryn Trant? You know, that guy from Kingsguard. If I recall correctly, he was the one who beat Sansa on Joffrey's orders back in Season 2.

But Arya was unaware of that, so that's not the reason he is on her list.  He is the one that was sent to kidnap her and he "killed" Syrio Forel. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: April 20, 2015, 03:34:18 AM »

But Arya was unaware of that, so that's not the reason he is on her list.  He is the one that was sent to kidnap her and he "killed" Syrio Forel.

Yeah, I know, I just used the first scene that popped up into my head with the guy. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2237 on: April 20, 2015, 03:40:10 AM »

Yeah, I know, I just used the first scene that popped up into my head with the guy. :lol

I figured that.  So nobody else but me think Syrio Forel might still be alive? 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2238 on: April 20, 2015, 03:43:31 AM »
I have heard that thought before. I suppose it's possible, but I don't see how it could be relevant, so he's probably dead.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2239 on: April 20, 2015, 03:45:28 AM »
I have heard that thought before. I suppose it's possible, but I don't see how it could be relevant, so he's probably dead.

I think relevance is irrelevant in GRRM's mind.   :lol