Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646859 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1785 on: June 01, 2014, 10:43:20 PM »
Holy shit I don't know how to feel

I'm actually a little bummed out. I liked Oberyn and the whole 'story' of why he was there. To go out like that was just a huge F-U. I guess that'll fire Oberyn's family up? anyway,  It's depressing that there can't be one little slither of 'justice' on the show. Martin must have some serious issues....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1786 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »
But it'd be silly to me to kill off the single character that kind of holds the whole show together. He steals every scene he's in....anyway. I guess I could hope.
Yeah the more I think about the more I realize how much less interesting the show would be without Tyrion. I hope he somehow manages to live.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1787 on: June 01, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I'm on the opposite end, this is the first time that, as an avid reader of the books, I actually loved this episode. Don't get me wrong, the show is great at times, and it's had it's moments, but this is the first full episode where I was enthralled through and through. I don't expect to get into the series anymore than I am because of it, and I know it's probably a one-off for me, but the whole tone and feel of the episode was fantastic. I especially loved Arya and her 'becoming'; she is the embodiment of tenacity in the human species, I fuckin' love her character in the books and finally she's starting to get there in the show.

Wonderful episode; moved a lot of pieces towards forwarding the overarching plot.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1788 on: June 01, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »
Holy shit I don't know how to feel

I'm actually a little bummed out. I liked Oberyn and the whole 'story' of why he was there. To go out like that was just a huge F-U. I guess that'll fire Oberyn's family up? anyway,  It's depressing that there can't be one little slither of 'justice' on the show. Martin must have some serious issues....
Well, if you want justice, you've come to the wrong place. ;)

I was really looking forward to this episode and they really delivered. Probably one of the stronger episodes this season with significant things happening in near every storyline and without it feeling too cramped. Although, during the neverending beetle conversation, I kept checking the time to see if they were in fact going to have 'that scene' in this episode.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1789 on: June 02, 2014, 02:58:14 AM »
Really good episode. I liked the Bolton scene with Roose and Ramsay standing on the hill with the crazy wind (winds of winter?) Talking about how the north is theres. Those are some real bad guys that I hope they get thier justice one day. Oberyn was great while he was alive and died in a gruesome way. Very awesome. Arya laughing was great, I dont velieve that was in the books but I nice addition so it just continues with they things work out for her.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1790 on: June 02, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
And I guess the guards didn't know her sister was there

Man, what an episode! I still think season 1 is the best them, but this season is right after. And yeah, I don't think it makes a difference whether the Mountain dies or not, because Oberyon died first, but we'll have to wait and see. Oh, and it was nice seeing that girl's goodies. Too bad we couldn't see everything, but maybe that will come later

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1791 on: June 02, 2014, 05:00:35 AM »
But it'd be silly to me to kill off the single character that kind of holds the whole show together. He steals every scene he's in....
Well, that's probably what a lot of people were thinking about Ned Stark in season 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1792 on: June 02, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »
I don't know. Maybe Jaime tries to bust Tyrion out? Or maybe our favorite midget is going to die  :(

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1793 on: June 02, 2014, 07:39:26 AM »
Shame we might have to wait two weeks. Looks like next week might be all about the battle on the Wall

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1794 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »
Anybody have any thoughts on this developing Missandei/Grey Worm thing?

I don't know what to think, the constant talk of his pre-cut days makes me think that maybe show Missandei and Grey Worm are related, while the "budding romance"  goes against everything we've learned about the Unsullied. The whole advantage of having them is that they fear nothing, feel nothing, would die on command and live to serve!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1795 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Holy shit. I'm expecting full on war with Dorne next season.

This episode was pretty fantastic all the way through. I was surprisingly excited about Sansa's initiation as a player in the game of thrones.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:21 AM »
I just watched it, and holy hell what an episode! Looks like Tyrion is done for, unless something very unexpected happens.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: June 02, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »

This episode was pretty fantastic all the way through. I was surprisingly excited about Sansa's initiation as a player in the game of thrones.

Yeah, it finally clicked with her. It was funny when Little Finger said "you don't know what I want" and she smirked. She knows full well he wants her and she's gonna use that to her advantage I suppose.

From what I've read Oberyn apparently has some daughters that are just as vicious as he was....so that'll be neat to see play out. Revenge all around!

I still don't think Tyrion will be put to death. Something will happen. He's to cunning. It may be something as simple as his nephew pardoning him.  They made a big deal out of how 'soft' he is. He may just spare his Uncle.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1798 on: June 02, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »
I was surprised by that too. This is also the first time I didn't want someone to jump out and stab Sansa in the neck. Her becoming a manipulative bitch kind of suits her.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1799 on: June 02, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Yea it's settled, this is the best show i've ever seen!

Oberyns victory:

and then

followed by

Pure emotions!!

I also loved the scene with Tyrion and Jaime in the cell. I love Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and I don't wanna see that character go but for the sake of keeping the tension of the show i'm willing to let him go.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1800 on: June 02, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts on this developing Missandei/Grey Worm thing?

I don't know what to think, the constant talk of his pre-cut days makes me think that maybe show Missandei and Grey Worm are related, while the "budding romance"  goes against everything we've learned about the Unsullied. The whole advantage of having them is that they fear nothing, feel nothing, would die on command and live to serve!

Im not a fan of it.  I mean, Missandei looked fine and all, but I agree with you.  Its kind of taking away from what the Unsullied really are, plus its a storyline thats really just takes away from the other characters I care about.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
That Arya laugh totally made me  :lol :lol :lol

:rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1802 on: June 02, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »
The Mountain = Cousin Olsen. Oberyn = beetle.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: June 02, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »

Nah......

Tywin = Cousin Olsen            Everyone Else = Beetles

The answer....because He can

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1804 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »
kung kung kung
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: June 02, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »

Nah......

Tywin = Cousin Olsen            Everyone Else = Beetles

The answer....because He can

Or

Mad King = Cousin Olsen            Everyone Else = Beetles

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1806 on: June 02, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »
No guys, it's obvious. George R. R. Martin is Cousin Olsen. Everyone in the books are his beetles.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1807 on: June 02, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
No guys, it's obvious. George R. R. Martin is Cousin Olsen. Everyone are his beetles.
Fixed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1808 on: June 02, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
(double)

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1809 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »

From what I've read Oberyn apparently has some daughters that are just as vicious as he was....so that'll be neat to see play out. Revenge all around!

Not a big spoiler, but yes.  Oberyn's death was important for the various people in Dorne, including his awesome daughters.  Its more complicated than simple revenge though; as you will see.  I suppose GRRM wanted to introduce the Martells with a bang (or crunch rather). Don't read on too much; didnt you spoil yourself with this fight already? lol

EDIT...Folks there is one more BIG thing that happens this season; careful what you read and where you go; I personally think its bigger than Oberyn/Mountain fight. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »

Not a big spoiler, but yes.  Oberyn's death was important for the various people in Dorne, including his awesome daughters.  Its more complicated than simple revenge though; as you will see.  I suppose GRRM wanted to introduce the Martells with a bang (or crunch rather). Don't read on too much; didnt you spoil yourself with this fight already? lol

EDIT...Folks there is one more BIG thing that happens this season; careful what you read and where you go; I personally think its bigger than Oberyn/Mountain fight.

Yeah I'm done reading stuff. I read about the daughters in the same article that really only said Oberyn was a cool character and it was too bad he isn't "long for this world". I had hoped that perhaps he defeated the mountain and got his revenge and then Tywin just had him shit dead by archers or something.

Anyway, at least it's good to know that there is a whole new bad a$$ family out there waiting to be introduced.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1811 on: June 03, 2014, 12:34:59 AM »
Dunno if I'm the only one, but I thought he episode was a bit of a let down after all the hype. I mean, yes it was very shocking, so fun event televsion for sure. But the level of gruesomeness was just so over the top as to be quite silly, which I thought was pretty out of character for the show. I also found the events pretty meh from a story perspective, and am getting a bit bored of all the good characters getting killed off.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: June 03, 2014, 06:00:36 AM »
Dunno if I'm the only one, but I thought he episode was a bit of a let down after all the hype. I mean, yes it was very shocking, so fun event televsion for sure. But the level of gruesomeness was just so over the top as to be quite silly, which I thought was pretty out of character for the show. I also found the events pretty meh from a story perspective, and am getting a bit bored of all the good characters getting killed off.

The head popping was gruesome. I had an issue falling asleep. Just flat out brutal.

Although the happenings of the episode were tame, they were significant I thought. Sansa is now entering the Frey as a person to be reckoned with...(I forgot his name) but the dude Daenaryus kicked out, to me that seemed kind of fishy and I almost believe it was a set up so that he could go spy for her.

I might be the only one who finds the entire 'Wall' arc of the show completely boring. Don't care about wildlings or white walkers or whatever. I like John Snows character and it seems like he's being wasted up there with that.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1813 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »
Game of Thrones had always been ridiculously over the top and gratuitous when it comes to violence, gore, and boobies. While Oberyn's death was on the higher level of gore I think it was less over the top than that soldier getting the top of his head cut off in Blackwater. At least Oberyn's death served a story purpose.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
Oberyns death was also very spot on from the how it happened in the books so the show was really just following the book which isnt always the case.

I believe there are a few more big events that are to happen.  This season has been full of big events and the last two episodes will continue that pattern.

I might be the only one who finds the entire 'Wall' arc of the show completely boring. Don't care about wildlings or white walkers or whatever. I like John Snows character and it seems like he's being wasted up there with that.

Hopefully after this week and then on forward you have more interest in the Wall. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1815 on: June 03, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
I didn't enjoy this episode, and I might even need to take a break from GoT for a while. It's just a never ending carousel of awesome characters who make an appearance, win over fans, and then die in some brutal way. Oberyn may have been minor (although I'm sure there will be larger repercussions once Dorne hears what happened), but it was still a major disappointment for me to see him go like that. It's sadistic the way they're playing with my emotions like this, and it's pushing me into a state of noncompliance.

With all that being said, I do not believe Tyrion is going to die. No way no how. The same way I don't believe John Snow, Arya, Danaerys, or Bran will die. Those are, in my opinion, the 5 most indispensable characters in the show, for a number of reasons, and I would be absolutely shocked if any of them die (maybe in the very, very end, but not this early in the story). There are still unanswered questions for John. Arya and Bran are still early in their arcs. Danaerys has dragons and she's going to be around when they come into play. and Tyrion is Tyrion. I'm convinced that he's going to outlive all of the major Lannister characters. It's his destiny.

The head popping was gruesome. I had an issue falling asleep. Just flat out brutal.

Although the happenings of the episode were tame, they were significant I thought. Sansa is now entering the Frey as a person to be reckoned with...(I forgot his name) but the dude Daenaryus kicked out, to me that seemed kind of fishy and I almost believe it was a set up so that he could go spy for her.

I get what you're saying, and I too find the wall scenes a little boring at times, but it's a necessary reminder of the ultimate conflict that all of this is building up towards and so I'm okay with it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1816 on: June 03, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
I didn't enjoy this episode, and I might even need to take a break from GoT for a while. It's just a never ending carousel of awesome characters who make an appearance, win over fans, and then die in some brutal way. Oberyn may have been minor (although I'm sure there will be larger repercussions once Dorne hears what happened), but it was still a major disappointment for me to see him go like that. It's sadistic the way they're playing with my emotions like this, and it's pushing me into a state of noncompliance.
I reached this point in season 3. I know GRRM does all this because he wants to make us think that nobody is safe and always fear for our favourite characters etc., but all it's done to me is mean that I don't really care about any of the characters, because they're only going to die soon anyway so why bother. So it's not particularly that I thought Oberyn was worthy and wanted him to get his revenge or anything, I just liked watching him because he was witty and entertaining, and now won't be in the show anymore.

I was getting back into it in season 4 because there was some really good tension building, but this week's episode reminded me of the thing that annoys me about it. Still, there was SOME good stuff - the Hound and Arya were still awesome, and Sansa has suddenly become quite badass.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1817 on: June 03, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
True- Arya is always a highlight for me. I worry about Sansa though… While they seem to be setting her up as a potential power, I'm not sure she's intelligent enough to avoid being used for Little Finger's schemes. And if she is, she hasn't really proved it to me thus far. It would be cool though, if she could eventually foil him and win the freedom that has been eluding her for so long.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1818 on: June 03, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
What they seem to be setting her up towards is learning to be cunning and manipulative like Littlefinger. Much as he is a bastard, that's just the sort of mentoring she needs. She doesn't need freedom to be given to her so much as earned.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: June 03, 2014, 08:48:03 PM »
What they seem to be setting her up towards is learning to be cunning and manipulative like Littlefinger. Much as he is a bastard, that's just the sort of mentoring she needs. She doesn't need freedom to be given to her so much as earned.

Exactly. It may develop into a Master/Apprentice type situation, perhaps ultimately ending with Sansa becoming more cunning and deceiving than Little Finger is?