Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 256564 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2835 on: January 08, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »
To me, she's kinda like the Devin Townsend of sci-fi.  Yeah, I can admire and occasionally enjoy her body of work.  But overall, I just find her unnecessarily crude and vulgar, so I don't spend any amount of time following.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2836 on: January 08, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »
Wait, Katee Sackhoff is crude and vulgar? I don't really "follow" her (or any actors for that matter) so I don't know what that refers to.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2837 on: January 08, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »
I just find her unnecessarily crude and vulgar, so I don't spend any amount of time following.
???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2838 on: January 08, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
I just find her unnecessarily crude and vulgar, so I don't spend any amount of time following.
???

A quick interwebz search lists her as "Bitch Pudding on Robot Chicken".  I never really watched Robot Chicken, and never would've taken Bosk for a fan either.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2839 on: January 08, 2021, 12:24:28 PM »
Katee is the hottest girl in Sci fi, and I will die on that hill. Her crying face is unparalleled, and if it doesn't move you, you just don't have a soul.

(don't tell Grace Park I posted that, wouldn't want her getting jelly)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2840 on: January 08, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
I just don't get the affinity for Katee Sackhoff.   

You shut your mouth!!! I will beat you with a toy red light saber  :lol    That's my girl your talking about. She's awesome in everything she does.
HAHA.  I'm sure she is; I've only seen her in this and Big Bang Theory.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: January 08, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
Katee is the hottest girl in Sci fi, and I will die on that hill. Her crying face is unparalleled, and if it doesn't move you, you just don't have a soul.

Bold statement.   

I guess it depends on what is "sci fi", but Maren Jensen needs to be in that conversation, as does Kirstie Allie and Charlize Theron.   I get that my tastes are whack, but if we went to the Mandalorian set, I'd be nosing around Gina Carano's dressing room running interference for you. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2842 on: January 08, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
???

A quick interwebz search lists her as "Bitch Pudding on Robot Chicken".  I never really watched Robot Chicken, and never would've taken Bosk for a fan either.
In my reply I was talking about the actress rather than any of her characters, which was what I assumed bosky was talking about as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2843 on: January 08, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
Y'all talking like Morena Baccarin doesn't even exist.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2844 on: January 08, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »

We will die on that hill. I’m not sure what Bosk is talking about with the ‘vulgar’ indictment? Her characters may be.....and that was just Starbuck....but if you follow her social media she’s probably one of the kindest people alive as she’s extremely charismatic

RJ.....did you watch her in Longmire? I only ask because there’s a scene near the end of the series where she had me in tears due to how well she handled it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2845 on: January 09, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »

We will die on that hill. I’m not sure what Bosk is talking about with the ‘vulgar’ indictment? Her characters may be.....and that was just Starbuck....but if you follow her social media she’s probably one of the kindest people alive as she’s extremely charismatic

RJ.....did you watch her in Longmire? I only ask because there’s a scene near the end of the series where she had me in tears due to how well she handled it.

No, but I can imagine. She's one hell of a drama actress, her work in the 4th season of BSG was absolutely outstanding.

(still love you Grace  :heart)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2846 on: January 11, 2021, 02:27:25 PM »
Wasn't really intending on opening up a debate about her.  I'm not really trying to make a case for why I don't care for her.  Like what you like!  :D

On a different note, I just finished reading the third and final book in the Aftermath series.  I don't really go out of my way to dig into lore outside the films, for the most part.  But these books were pretty good.  They very nicely bridge Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, and add a lot of color and texture to the SW universe that makes me actually appreciate both the Original Trilogy and Sequel trilogy more.  I really like how it fits into the overall story and gives a plausible glimpse into what would have likely happened with the first stages of the empire collapsing after Endor, and culminating with the battle of Jakku.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2847 on: January 11, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »
Wasn't really intending on opening up a debate about her.  I'm not really trying to make a case for why I don't care for her.  Like what you like!  :D
To be clear, I was simply wondering what it was you were referring to. I wasn't disagreeing as I don't know what it is you mean for me to agree or disagree. :lol And of course I agree with "like what you like".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: January 13, 2021, 01:26:05 PM »
Internet rumors (taken with a grain of salt) are saying that the Rebels sequel series that was in the works in the animation style of the last season of TCW's.....has been shelved. Speculation is that since the main characters in that series would presumptively have been Ezra Bridger, Thrawn, Sabine and Ahsoka they've just decided in lieu of the animated sequel series to shift those storylines to the Ahsoka stand alone live action show. Makes sense since the timelines for ending of Rebels and The Mandalorian were basically the same period of time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: January 13, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
So I gather than Ahsoka is revered about as much as Katee Sackhoff; am I right?  I have little interest in her character too, it seems.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:30:05 AM by Stadler »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: January 13, 2021, 02:41:41 PM »
So I gather than Ashoka is revered about as much as Katee Sackhoff; am I right?  I have little interest in her character too, it seems.

In my book Ahsoka is as good as it gets when it comes to Jedi. As far as characters go and ability....she's had a great story arc. Far and away better than Rey with more depth. It'd be tough for you to appreciate fully without having followed her character path from annoying little kid to what Filoni has described as the truest form of a Jedi we've seen in any SW movie or show.

I get people aren't going to be as in to her character as me or the countless others who revere her....but when looking at her character in a strictly 'SW' universe type of way.....she'd pretty bad ass to where there are few who can compare to her and what's she's accomplished and how she's accomplished it. I mean, just her escape from Order 66 was incredible....not to mention she was asked to capture Darth Maul alive and did so.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2851 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
Ahsoka and Bo-Katan both seem pretty kick-ass characters, and the way their fans defend them speaks much.  But fair or unfair, characters who are only known from the animated Star Wars properties will always be in a different class to some because they are "only from the cartoons".  Canon or not.  The Skywalkers and Solos have a greater status because they were in the movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: January 13, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
Ahsoka and Bo-Katan both seem pretty kick-ass characters, and the way their fans defend them speaks much.  But fair or unfair, characters who are only known from the animated Star Wars properties will always be in a different class to some because they are "only from the cartoons".  Canon or not.  The Skywalkers and Solos have a greater status because they were in the movies.

I agree with you completely. I personally think those of you who don't 'know' these characters are missing out and hope that one day you'd find the time to invest to watch and see what the fuss is all about.....it's just a TON of episodes to churn through. There are 133 Clone War episdoes (at 20-25 minutes each) and 75 'Rebels' episodes at the same episode length. That's 3,325 minutes of TCW's (almost 56 hours) and 1,875 minutes of Rebels (31.5 hours)

That's a chore to get through. It takes John Wick like focus and determination  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »
It's not the volume of material; I have a mental block about switching from the animated to the real.  And it's not just Star Wars; I'm struggling a bit with the MCU on that count too.  I don't know what it is.  It's not the animation; I watch Archer religiously and I like some of the animated Batman stuff that's out there.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2854 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
It's not the volume of material; I have a mental block about switching from the animated to the real.  And it's not just Star Wars; I'm struggling a bit with the MCU on that count too.  I don't know what it is.  It's not the animation; I watch Archer religiously and I like some of the animated Batman stuff that's out there.

MCU? Do they have any in-continuity animated programs?

Most I can think of is What If? But that’ll be alternate realities anyway and you can skip it if you like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: January 14, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »

Most I can think of is What If? But that’ll be alternate realities anyway and you can skip it if you like.

I don't know; I didn't watch them!!!   I just saw them on the "recommended for you" column on Disney+.  I almost didn't watch The Mandalorian (simply because it was episodic TV).   And if it wasn't for the Mandalorian, I'd never watch "Wandavision" (which I will now).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2856 on: January 14, 2021, 11:42:37 AM »

I don't know; I didn't watch them!!!   I just saw them on the "recommended for you" column on Disney+.  I almost didn't watch The Mandalorian (simply because it was episodic TV).   And if it wasn't for the Mandalorian, I'd never watch "Wandavision" (which I will now).

Ohh well I'll clarify. There a whole ton of Marvel cartoons, from the 70's til now. Some are Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc. However, none of them, at all, are connected to the MCU. So if you don't dig cartoons, feel free to ignore them all. Though X-Men the animated series from the early 90's is a real gem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2857 on: January 14, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »

Yeah, I hear you on that.  Not sure why that is, but it's a real thing and definitely isn't just you. 

I had started Clone Wars a few times, and never got more than halfway through season 1.  Part of it was that mental block.  Part of it was that most of the earlier episodes ranged from pretty bad to just okay.  Given the stay at home order, it was easy to let them play while working on some days, so I eventually plowed through the whole thing, and there were actually some very good story lines.  Asoka turned from a very annoying character into a pretty good one.  I wouldn't put here up nearly as high as Gary does.  But she's a solid character, and better than quite a few in the films, if you ask me.

I need to bite the bullet and do the same with Rebels.  I think I got about halfway through season 1 on that a couple of months ago and bailed because it was so bad.  But I'll give it another shot.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2858 on: January 22, 2021, 09:37:56 PM »
Sorry for being behind, but just finished The Mandalorian. Amazing, top notch stuff all the way around. Congrats Disney+ and everyone involved on a job well done. Wishing I watched it in real time so I could have participated in the discussions here.

Goddamn post-credits scene, would not have known about it without stumbling upon it doing some internet reading.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:14:51 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2859 on: January 23, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »
Season 2 ended on a good note.  I'd be fine if they just ended the series there, honestly, and let the Boba Fett thing be its own, separate story from here on (which I am not clear on whether or not that is what they are doing).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2860 on: January 23, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
Season 2 ended on a good note.  I'd be fine if they just ended the series there, honestly, and let the Boba Fett thing be its own, separate story from here on (which I am not clear on whether or not that is what they are doing).
I thought it seemed like they intentionally wrote the episode so they could just end the series there if they wanted to. But given the success of it, I can understand why they don't want to.

My understanding is the The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, and Ahsoka all take place in the same timeline and will all come together for a giant crossover event in the future. Whether there will be much crossover in the initial season(s) remains to be seen I guess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: January 23, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »
I thought it seemed like they intentionally wrote the episode so they could just end the series there if they wanted to. But given the success of it, I can understand why they don't want to.

My understanding is the The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, and Ahsoka all take place in the same timeline and will all come together for a giant crossover event in the future. Whether there will be much crossover in the initial season(s) remains to be seen I guess.

That’s the understanding I have as well. I’m sure they have an idea for S3 and I’ll trust them until they give me a reason not to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2862 on: January 25, 2021, 03:51:10 PM »
I would guess that the big crossover would involved something like Grand Admiral Thrawn trying to conquer Mandalor, or something like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2863 on: January 27, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
Good point. This was a story not only of Mando but of Grogu, and by this point it would be easily assumed that Mando already fulfilled his purpose of delivering Grogu with one of his kind.

But the big Disney machine likes dollars, and Star Wars is their big cow right now (particularly The Mandalorian) which they aren't letting it go any time soon. I have no problem with that, tho. The writing is so consistently good.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2864 on: February 01, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
Finally got to see the making of season two of the Mandalorian. Not as exhausting as the 8 episode gallery series of season one but still some great stuff in there. Obviously one disappointing part was them not showing anything related to the final 15 mins of the finale which makes me sorta think it was shot much later than the rest of the episode and season. Either that or there's some of it spilling into season 3 and they might want to just show it off then.

I missed the part in season one where Ming Na's character is met by a set of footsteps and they teased Boba right then itself. Great stuff!

I can't imagine how much fun it must be working on some of the sets and episodes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2865 on: February 03, 2021, 05:42:54 PM »
Mandalorian gets a nod for best drama series in the Golden Globes, definitely worthy in my books. Curious if this is the first time a sci fi series got a nomination, can't remember if BSG did or not.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2866 on: February 04, 2021, 04:57:51 AM »
Mandalorian gets a nod for best drama series in the Golden Globes, definitely worthy in my books. Curious if this is the first time a sci fi series got a nomination, can't remember if BSG did or not.

That’s awesome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: February 11, 2021, 07:54:24 AM »
I’m out of pocket so it’s tough to link things but Gina Carano has been fired from the Mandalorian for her having a different set of beliefs than the majority of the heavily liberal Hollywood.

Not to say I agree with anything or everything she says.....but the fact she’s been fired for expressing her freedom of speech is scary. Pretty sad.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2868 on: February 11, 2021, 08:00:15 AM »
I’m out of pocket so it’s tough to link things but Gina Carano has been fired from the Mandalorian for her having a different set of beliefs than the majority of the heavily liberal Hollywood.

Not to say I agree with anything or everything she says.....but the fact she’s been fired for expressing her freedom of speech is scary. Pretty sad.

She's said some really crazy anti-democrat, anti-COVID stuff over the last six months, at least.  Hollywood is very liberal, so her views stuck out like a sore thumb.  She had an anti-trans issue when Pedro Pascal's sister came out as trans.   The straw that broke the camel's back was that she compared Republican persecution to the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany.  That's just not cool at all.

It's not oppression of freedom of speech.  If I said the things that she said, my employer would fire me too - there are consequences for expressing your beliefs when you represent a corporation (Disney, Lucasfilm) and franchise (Star Wars).  It's why talking politics at work is a bad idea. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2869 on: February 11, 2021, 08:05:43 AM »

She's said some really crazy anti-democrat, anti-COVID stuff over the last six months, at least.  Hollywood is very liberal, so her views stuck out like a sore thumb.  She had an anti-trans issue when Pedro Pascal's sister came out as trans.   The straw that broke the camel's back was that she compared Republican persecution to the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany.  That's just not cool at all.

It's not oppression of freedom of speech.  If I said the things that she said, my employer would fire me too - there are consequences for expressing your beliefs when you represent a corporation (Disney, Lucasfilm) and franchise (Star Wars).  It's why talking politics at work is a bad idea.

It’s probably best to take this to P/R. All I can say is if we sift through things that Rosario Dawson or Pedro Pascal have said I’m sure there’d be plenty of people who’s find their beliefs offensive. Her Jew/Conservative comparison wasn’t as inflammatory as its being led on either. Anyways.....it was just a matter of time because like you said she Stuck out like a sore thumb being the only conservative ‘voice’ on a show that’s in an industry of out of touch liberal minded people.