Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 503709 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #4410 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:01 AM »
Pretty sure the last time I bought a disc was Half-Life 2, and that was in 2005.

I bought a PC disc maybe 4 years ago as the last time and I remember having the same problem... it was essentially a disc that contained the key, so useless.  You pop in the disc and you still have to download the game through steam as if the disc wasn't even there.  I said never again after that.  There is no resale value of the PC disc either unlike a console game. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4411 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »
Sounds like a lot of messing around. The online Steam system has a lot of pros, but this is why I also love to just stick a disc into a console and play it.

And that reminds me, I bought Super Meat Boy on sale on Steam a week or two ago, and haven't installed or played it yet. Totally forgot.

Except you can't even do that on the new consoles.  Buy a new game, stick it in, does it ever just play?  Not in my experience, immediate updates/download and wait.  Still, an easier system that Cyclops scenario, but it's not just so simple as it used to be.

If you are a PC gamer, I can't imagine a single reason to buy a physical disc anymore.  It's sooo much simpler to just keep it in your steam account and then download/install when you want to play.

I don't know about the latest gen of consoles, but on XBOX 360, yeah I just stick in a disc and play it. Simple as ever. Installing and/or updating the game are optional, not mandatory (probably different if you did online gaming, but I've never once done that on PC or console).
Downloading and installing big games on my internet would take too long and use up far too much of my monthly bandwidth, which isn't worth it to me for gaming, which is one reason I wouldn't game on a PC. Physical copies are little more than shelf advertisements these days.

Both have their pros and cons, which will be different for everyone. That's why we have both! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4412 on: January 12, 2016, 06:35:48 AM »
Bandwidth, that's something to be pissed off about.  I'm going to be very annoyed when the cable companies start enforcing limits and paid tiers for GB of data at home.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4413 on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
Bandwidth, that's something to be pissed off about.  I'm going to be very annoyed when the cable companies start enforcing limits and paid tiers for GB of data at home.

They better not.  I'm already paying for that convenience.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4414 on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »

In Australia, it's quite standard except for the top plans. On the plans I can get in my area from my ISP, I can't get an uncapped plan, which sucks. If I was within the area of their own equipment, I could get unlimited internet for the exact same price. So yeah, that sucks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4415 on: January 12, 2016, 06:51:50 AM »

Once Google Fiber goes nationwide, cable companies will have to play ball. They don't have to now. I have two options for cable internet in my home. One can't offer more that 6GB download. My only real option is Comcast. Fucking lame.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4416 on: January 12, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »

Once Google Fiber goes nationwide, cable companies will have to play ball. They don't have to now. I have two options for cable internet in my home. One can't offer more that 6GB download. My only real option is Comcast. Fucking lame.

That will be one long time before Google Fiber goes nationwide (or if they even can do that) but I fully support bringing fiber to every home.  I am fortunate to have FIOS, but I also have other options if I needed to change providers which most Americans do not have.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4417 on: January 12, 2016, 06:56:05 AM »

Once Google Fiber goes nationwide, cable companies will have to play ball. They don't have to now. I have two options for cable internet in my home. One can't offer more than 6GB download. My only real option is Comcast. Fucking lame.

That will be one long time before Google Fiber goes nationwide (or if they even can do that) but I fully support bringing fiber to every home.  I am fortunate to have FIOS, but I also have other options if I needed to change providers which most Americans do not have.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: January 12, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »

No fiber where I live but I have Comcast so I'm paying the premium now.  Every year I threaten them since I've been with them for 22 years so every year I get the same price.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4419 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »
No fiber where I live but I have Comcast so I'm paying the premium now.

Well if you get a little constipated from no fiber, you could always use the cable to root around in there and unplug yourself.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4420 on: January 12, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »
No fiber where I live but I have Comcast so I'm paying the premium now.

Well if you get a little constipated from no fiber, you could always use the cable to root around in there and unplug yourself.

No need here.  I'm too healthy!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4421 on: January 12, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
Man, fuck Steam. How come I have to download a shitload of mb's while I have the dvd in my discdrive? I lost the password to my account and had to dick around for a whole week to varify the damn thing.
Tried re-activating the cd-keycode, they ask you to scan the thing and contact Steam. When you try that the site wigs out. WTF. I pay for a game to play it and then have to go through all this shit???  :censored

Kind of a tangent, but Xbox Live and PlayStationNetwork.   I am old school (put a disk in and hit "START") but I have kids, so...

I spend more time getting Live and PSN to work (passwords, routers, NAT this and NAT that) than I do playing the f*****g games.   Full disclosure, I am not a "run out and buy on day of release" guy when it comes to video games; I'm just now playing "Thief" and "Far Cry Classic", and next up is Far Cry 2 and BioShock Infinite and Call of Duty Modern Warfare - yes, the first one.   The more the newer games DEMAND full on-line presence the less likely I am to participate, though I do enjoy a little multi-player now and again (though I feel a little creepy, and can't escape the thought that "KllrSk8rGurl27" who just assassinated me in 8 seconds from a third floor balcony in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Online is actually a 14-year-old boy from Germany or some shit). 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4422 on: January 12, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
Far Cry 4 was the first digital game I purchased. So far I've had the screen go black five times with a message saying something along the lines of "Game authenticity could not be verified by network". Drives me nuts, especially if the game wasn't saved in a while. What's going to happen 25 years from now? Will we be able to play our old games like we can with NES and N64?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4423 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Far Cry 4 was the first digital game I purchased. So far I've had the screen go black five times with a message saying something along the lines of "Game authenticity could not be verified by network". Drives me nuts, especially if the game wasn't saved in a while. What's going to happen 25 years from now? Will we be able to play our old games like we can with NES and N64?

Nope.  But I'd imagine they would continue to be emulated on the newer platforms the way xbox1 is doing and the way a PC can do it.  Not the same, but I doubt in 25 years people are still using the hardware anyway (these systems are not as reliable as an NES or N64 was).  As for the online only games, that I worry more about since in 25 years who is hosting these games on servers? Maybe some will, but I'd imagine it'll be a limited amount.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4424 on: January 12, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »
Final Fantasy 7 and Abe's Oddysee New N Tasty were download only but that's fine. They're old games.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4425 on: January 16, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
Two toddlers in the cafe today. They're already whinging as they walk in.

:'( :'( I don't want to come in here !

:'( :'( I don't want to sit at this table !

( the family move )

:'( :'( I don't want to eat anything !!

( the family order anyway )

I take the kids over two cartons of apple juice that they wanted - each of them are identical.

One of them takes one.

The other one : :'( I WANTED THAT ONE !!!!

:censored Oh My Fucking God.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4426 on: January 16, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
whinging

I didn't know you were British.

But yeah. Children can be kind of unbearable at times.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4427 on: January 16, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
Alright Guv. Yes I was born in Surrey - which is not too far from London. I've also lived in the UAE and now I live in Wales :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4428 on: January 16, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »
Kids are fucking worse than AIDS, the holocaust, and Nancy Grace combined.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4429 on: January 16, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »

:rollin

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4430 on: January 16, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
 :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4431 on: January 16, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »

I was with ya until you said Nancy Grace. :eek :eek

:lol :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4432 on: January 16, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »
Well played, Kev :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4433 on: January 18, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »

I was with ya until you said Nancy Grace. :eek :eek

:lol :lol

If I could shoot Nancy Grace in the face for charity, I'd contemplate it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4434 on: January 18, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
I shall have to Google this person.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4435 on: January 18, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »

Ever see "Gone Girl" with Ben Affleck and... that other girl?   The blonde newscaster played by Missy Pyle, the one who asks Ben if he ever had sex with his sister (or whatever it was), is a very thinly-disguised version of Nancy Grace.    Actually, honestly, not disguised at all.  :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4436 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »

Ever see "Gone Girl" with Ben Affleck and... that other girl?   The blonde newscaster played by Missy Pyle, the one who asks Ben if he ever had sex with his sister (or whatever it was), is a very thinly-disguised version of Nancy Grace.    Actually, honestly, not disguised at all.  :)

I thought that was completely blatant.   :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4437 on: January 18, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »
Yeah I was gonna say that is the absolute first thought that popped in my mind but I'm glad we all thought it. :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: January 19, 2016, 07:19:24 AM »

When I read the book, all I had was Nancy Grace pictured in my head... then the movie it even looked like her!  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4439 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »

Which makes the parents even worse.  Too stupid to realize they are raising retarded, spoiled, entitled little brats.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4440 on: January 19, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
My cousin.   

He can't read subtext.  It's like he doesn't even know me!

He posted on Facebook about another music death with a founding member of Tower Of Power.  He said he couldn't take another musician death.

I joked I would be ok if it were Kanye.   It's obviously a joke.  He's too damn PC these days.  A joke does not mean the truth.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4441 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
He's too damn PC these days

The entire PC thing that seems to be in lately has been pissing me off a lot. It's like you can't even make a joke without someone twisting it and making you look like a jackass lately.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #4442 on: January 19, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »
I'm not sure what Kanye West has to do with being PC. Kanye West is not, himself, a minority. If you said something like "I wouldn't mind if it was that damn negro Kanye West", then it would be about political correctness.

To loosely quote Neil Gaiman, being PC just means treating people with respect. So when you see something like

The entire PC thing that seems to be in lately has been pissing me off a lot.

You can just make the substitution:

The entire treating people with respect thing that seems to be in lately has been pissing me off a lot.

...my name is Araragi.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4443 on: January 19, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »
Please. You can't make a comment about someone without it upsetting someone. It's not about color. He's just annoying.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4444 on: January 19, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
You were being a racist.  Just admit it.

:P