Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 503462 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #3605 on: July 03, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
When I am swamped with paperwork at work... and I have myself a nice rhythm going while singing along with mah music (Learning to Live currently)... and it seems like it's everyone's goal to break my rhythm.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Calvin6s

« Reply #3606 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
Web articles (especially news or product reviews) that don't post the date created.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3607 on: July 05, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
Web articles (especially news or product reviews) that don't post the date created.

I hate that. I regularly come across articles for facts and figures on something, but it doesn't give the date it was posted, or any dates in the article either, so I have no idea if the article is even relevant or not any more. It could be from this week, it could be 5 years old. Big difference.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3608 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »

I hate that. I regularly come across articles for facts and figures on something, but it doesn't give the date it was posted, or any dates in the article either, so I have no idea if the article is even relevant or not any more. It could be from this week, it could be 5 years old. Big difference.

I'm convinced that a lot of websites have algorithms that automatically change the dates on pages. I check Google News daily for Avatar news. Most of the time, I pull up an article that was posted in the last 24 hours, and it ends up being the exact same thing I read months ago. Perfect example. This morning I came across one that announced Avatar 2 has been delayed to 2017. That news is at least six months old.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: July 06, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
What is the latest Avatar 2 news just out of interest ?

Star Trek Beyond has started shooting. That means it's less than a year away/ I'm excited ! :) I hope Idris Elba is in it as rumoured.

I'm excited since It's being written and also directed by massive trekkies ( but kotowboy - Orci and Kurtzman were massive trekkies too ).

Yes ! But Simon Pegg is a much better writer... Shaun , Hot Fuzz and World's End is proof of this.

And what if Justin Lin just directs Fast & Furious movies in a certain style because those type of films dictate it ?

His Star Trek movie might be completely different.

Until we see a trailer where Enterprise is drag racing a klingon bird of prey - i'm not worried.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3610 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
What is the latest Avatar 2 news just out of interest ?

The script has been officially finalized. There was enough material to make a fourth (fifth) movie, but Cameron and his team were able to scale it back without changing anything major in the upcoming trilogy's arch.

The trilogy will be fimled at 48fps

Cameron is currently working on and underwater version of his motion capturing technology for the upcoming underwater scenes.

There has been no word of whether or not James Horner's death will delay the project.

Avatar Land is coming along on schedule and has a banshee ride that is supposed to be one of the most thrilling attractions Disney has ever had.

The Avatar Cirque du Soleil show is shaping up to be a killer spectacle. There's a 1400 seat theater in China that has already booked 12 shows per week for the first 6 months.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3611 on: July 06, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »
So there's going to be three more films at the most ?

I love James Cameron but I'd be disappointed if they did 5 films. ( As I Said before ).

I loved the first Avatar but I also want him to do other things.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3612 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »
So there's going to be three more films at the most ?

I love James Cameron but I'd be disappointed if they did 5 films. ( As I Said before ).

I loved the first Avatar but I also want him to do other things.

He is under contract to make three more movies. There will be four in total. The next three films are going to be the real story. The three will be filmed together and released a year apart. The original movie is basically going to be the prequel that introduced us to Pandora and gave a little back story as to how Jake and Neytiri met.

The second movie will take place eight years after the events of the first film. It takes six years to travel from Earth to Pandora. That makes me think that it will be at least 12 years before the humans can come back in force (unless there are already other bases on Pandora). So, that being said, I'm willing to wager that the second movie won't have humans as the primary source of  danger. They'll probably be back toward the end of the third movie, and the fourth movie will be the all out war.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3613 on: July 06, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
It's good that he's writing all three films first rather than : Write sequel film release.

make a ton of money.

Write another film it etc etc..

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3614 on: July 08, 2015, 01:33:17 AM »
Instruction manuals that only have pictures. I know they say a picture says 1000 words, but that is not always the case. A whole page of ambiguous little pictures with ticks and crosses on them is nothing compared to two lines of clear English text that just tells me what the hell they are trying to say. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3615 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
Instruction manuals that only have pictures. I know they say a picture says 1000 words, but that is not always the case. A whole page of ambiguous little pictures with ticks and crosses on them is nothing compared to two lines of clear English text that just tells me what the hell they are trying to say. :lol

Adding to this theme when you have those pictures and you build a table and you're left with one screw and you can't figure out if you missed it or it's an extra screw. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3616 on: July 08, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »

Adding to this theme when you have those pictures and you build a table and you're left with one screw and you can't figure out if you missed it or it's an extra screw. :lol

and then you find here the screw goes....

and sit there assessing whether or not the entire thing will fall apart without the screw...

and then say fuck it.. and throw the screw out and hide the hole from your significant other.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3617 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
hide the hole from your significant other.

Do girls play that game with you a lot, Jay? :neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3618 on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:27 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: July 08, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
hide the hole from your significant other.

Do girls play that game with you a lot, Jay? :neverusethis:

fuuuuuuuu

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3620 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3621 on: July 14, 2015, 05:55:16 AM »
When people can't just work their fucking shifts.

I've never missed a day or called out in over 2 years, but my phone blows up on a constant basis. "oh can you work for me", "Oh I didn't realized I couldn't work on that day" "oh, its my cousin's, newphew's wife's birthday, I really need off"

Like last night for example or should I say this morning since it was 1:30am. Woken up by a text from a sound sleep only to be asked to work today because the person decided to go to chicago over the weekend and their flight got held up. I am in Philly and really don't care.

Learn how to plan ahead, because when I'm off, I am off.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3622 on: July 14, 2015, 06:16:01 AM »
Because people are selfish.  Their world is more important than anything else going on.  I see it so much.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3623 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:06 AM »
Cousin's nephew's wife's birthday?

You work with King?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: July 14, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »

You work with King?

Easy their Dark Helmet.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3625 on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »

You work with King?

No, but I work with quite a bit of fools. Let's just say that their excuses leave a lot to be desired, and for some reason I will never understand, the department manager buys it.

One time we had a girl call out because the parking lot in her apartment complex was "icy". Only one problem, its was 58 degrees and sunny out.  :yeahright
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:45:31 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3626 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »

You work with King?

No, but I work with quite a bit of fools. Let's just say that their excuses leave a lot to be desired, and for some reason I will never understand, the department manager buys it.

One time we had a girl call out because the parking lot in her apartment complex was "icy". Only one problem, its was 58 degrees and sunny out.  :yeahright

When I used to work in the kitchen, employees used to call out during snow storms all the time. My boss had a Hummer H2 and would call them back and say "Be ready in 20, I'm coming to pick you up".

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3627 on: July 14, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
Now that's my kind of boss

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3628 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
That's Boss alright.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3629 on: July 14, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
When you log on to DTF cos its day time where you live and you find that most Americans are either in bed or out partying so you're basically posting like a man with no followers on Twitter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3630 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »

When I used to work in the kitchen, employees used to call out during snow storms all the time. My boss had a Hummer H2 and would call them back and say "Be ready in 20, I'm coming to pick you up".

In all fairness, many restaurant managers are major tool bags about that kind of stuff.  When it is snowing like mad, nobody is going out in it to eat, so copping an attitude with employees because they don't want to wreck their cars or worse, is bull crap. I saw it many times in my years of tending bar.  I had a manager once who was the king of the guilt trip ("I made it in, so why can't you?") when it came to such instances.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3631 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »

In all fairness, many restaurant managers are major tool bags about that kind of stuff.  When it is snowing like mad, nobody is going out in it to eat, so copping an attitude with employees because they don't want to wreck their cars or worse, is bull crap. I saw it many times in my years of tending bar.  I had a manager once who was the king of the guilt trip ("I made it in, so why can't you?") when it came to such instances.

No doubt. If it was snowing like mad, we'd usually close early. I'm talking about when there was only like 3 or 4 inches (nothing for CT) and people would call and say "I can't come in, my car can't get out of my driveway". Also, the kitchen I worked in was part of a grocery business. I did their catering. So even if people weren't grocery shopping due to snow, we'd still have a party of 50+ people expecting to be fed on the catering side of things. Also, a lot of prep is usually done at night for the next day. If half the staff calls out, the next day or two is fucked because all kinds of things weren't done. It's hard to get any bakery stuff ready in the morning if the stuff wasn't proofed properly overnight.

I do agree with what you're saying, and in a normal restaurant setting I'd be inclined to agree, but the catering business was a little different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3632 on: July 15, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
I get what you are saying, but if your are an hourly employee making less than a great wage, as opposed to a manager, why should you care about that?  3-4 inches of snow may not sound like a lot, but you can still wreck pretty easily from that, especially since we are all at the mercy of the stupidest drivers on the road.  Granted, I am usually someone who will make every effort possible to make it in, as opposed to being one of those people who looks for any reason to call in. Of course, it helps too that every job I have had in my lifetime has been no more than 15 miles from my home (my current one is around 8 miles/12 minutes).  I have been pretty lucky in that regard.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3633 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:35 PM »
Granted, I am usually someone who will make every effort possible to make it in, as opposed to being one of those people who looks for any reason to call in.

What is even worse is the people that show up just to ask to leave.  Once I drive somewhere, I'm going to get a day's worth of work in.  And I'm sure not going to drive up just to ask to leave (or volunteer if they ask).  I'm on the other side of the equation now, but there still seems to be a subset of people that just love to waste gas and time going into work just so they can find any reason to leave.

I remember one time I got caught in horrible traffic (So. Cal) and called in to say I am caught in literally stopped traffic so I'd be late and I can't even estimate how late.  The manager grumbled to get in as quickly as I could.  When I showed up, he told me to go home and told him absolutely not.  It took another manager in ear shot to step in and tell that manager to stop being a dick and put me to work.

Even if I don't feel like work, once I'm there, I'm going to get in as much work as I can.  Just baffles me that some people are the exact opposite.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3634 on: July 16, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »
I get what you are saying, but if your are an hourly employee making less than a great wage, as opposed to a manager, why should you care about that?  3-4 inches of snow may not sound like a lot, but you can still wreck pretty easily from that, especially since we are all at the mercy of the stupidest drivers on the road.  Granted, I am usually someone who will make every effort possible to make it in, as opposed to being one of those people who looks for any reason to call in. Of course, it helps too that every job I have had in my lifetime has been no more than 15 miles from my home (my current one is around 8 miles/12 minutes).  I have been pretty lucky in that regard.

Here's a novel thought that I am trying to impress on my 14-year old daughter and my 16-year old stepdaughter... How do you think the manager got out of the "hourly employee" do-loop?  Perhaps by caring about stuff like that? 

Perfect subject for this thread:  people who get in at 9:00 on the dot, then get their coffee and their cheese Danish (but they are THERE!) and start prepping for lunch at 11:45 with menus and organizing the group, get back right at 12:30 (I'm on TIME!!) and then proceed to the crapper and don't really start working till close to 1:00, then start packing up their shit at 4:45, because, well, 5:00, babay!!! and then they come to threads like these and proceed to bitch about how bad management is and how they could do it better but they're being held down by The Man...  Not suggesting any specific person here, but you, I am sure, get the paradigm.

You reap what you sow. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #3635 on: July 16, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »
Here's a novel thought that I am trying to impress on my 14-year old daughter and my 16-year old stepdaughter... How do you think the manager got out of the "hourly employee" do-loop?  Perhaps by caring about stuff like that? 

Perfect subject for this thread:  people who get in at 9:00 on the dot, then get their coffee and their cheese Danish (but they are THERE!) and start prepping for lunch at 11:45 with menus and organizing the group, get back right at 12:30 (I'm on TIME!!) and then proceed to the crapper and don't really start working till close to 1:00, then start packing up their shit at 4:45, because, well, 5:00, babay!!! and then they come to threads like these and proceed to bitch about how bad management is and how they could do it better but they're being held down by The Man...  Not suggesting any specific person here, but you, I am sure, get the paradigm.
:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3636 on: July 16, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

You reap what you sow.

I get what you are saying, and I generally agree, but when it comes to restaurant management, which was basically what I was talking about, trust me, caring or doing a good job does not equal a promotion to management.  :lol :lol   I worked with two people for years (both of whom were good friends, and one still is even though we do not work together anymore), and they were of the "I'll come in no matter what, and I'll help out in any way I can even if that means being asked to work a night when I was supposed to be off" variety, and did that great attitude and work ethic get them promotions?  Nope, it got them taken advantage, because management knew that, hey, we are in a bind, we can just call Alex or Rachel, and one of them is guaranteed to do it.  I would often chastise them, all in good fun, for being too nice and letting themselves get taken advantage of, but's that just the way they are wired I guess.  I tend to be of the nice guy variety, too, but I learned many years that if you ALWAYS bend over backwards for the man, he will stick it in when you are in the position. You have to know when you to pick your battles and spots to make such impressions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3637 on: July 17, 2015, 05:24:20 AM »
That's a reflection of THAT management, not good work ethic in general.  Is life fair and just at all times?  Of course not; but you don't (or perhaps I'm arguing that we shouldn't) play to the exception, but rather play to the rule.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #3638 on: July 19, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
I will typically make every effort to get in to work, even if it is snowing.  However, there have been a few occasions where it has not been possible- and has been echoed before, I don't make enough money in a day to cover my insurance deductible if I have an accident- so if it starts to get really bad while I'm at work- bet your ass I'm leaving early.

That being said, I'm the kind of person that will come in early or stay late if I need to.  I even went in on Saturday a few times because my work load was overflowing.  I am absolutely not the kind of person that will call out because "I don't feel well."  I've worked at my current job for 4 years- I did call out one day last year because I had the flu and literally couldn't move.  The next day, I still felt like crap and wanted to call out again, but I went into work anyway because I knew we were too busy and I knew I just couldn't skip 2 days.

And all this dedication has brought me nothing.  I get no praise, no "thank you," from my boss.  I certainly don't need to be coddled, but just once in awhile just a "hey great job" would be nice.  I still get paid like shit...and to top it off I was recently passed over for a promotion.  (I'm really trying not to sound like a spoiled, entitled brat about it, and I worry that I may actually be so, but please forgive me for being bitter about it.)

Every single day I ask myself, "Why do I even bother?"
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3639 on: July 19, 2015, 09:02:50 PM »
Don't sweat it, kid. I feel identical to you. I've missed 6 days in 3 years at my job and have have 4 tardies (two of which were one minute tardies) and I'm plankton in their ranks and here are my absent reasons:

Snow: 3 (I live 20 miles away and we southerners aren't nearly seasoned in safely dealing with it as the one-abandoned-car-which-skidded-off-the-road-per-mile average confirms on most of my snowy day drives home)

Third day of working with the flu may have hospitalized me.

Dental emergency as I hadn't been to the dentist in ~30 years and had a legitimate risk of losing a tooth if I didn't get the root canal immediately.

Woke up vomiting because I had popcorn that didn't agree with me. Basically, I ate a whole microwaved bag before going to sleep with virtually no fluids and woke up with the gross overpowering aftertaste of it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon