Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 503580 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #1610 on: January 24, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »
Or it's just language evolving and you're just resisting natural change.

This basically. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the English language. Not to mention, these changes are made gradually, over the course of decades. I don't think we'll be spelling "language" as "layngwij" anytime soon, and most common abbreviated or shortened phrases are so common place now that they're pretty much acceptable, save for some forms of professional writing maybe.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1611 on: January 24, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »
See, you don't care.  So you basically proved my point. It's laziness that causes these changes.

You're wrong to equate apathy with laziness in this case.  It's not laziness that causes me not to care.  The reason I don't care is that when someone says 'wanna' or 'gonna', you know exactly what they mean.  You may object to the way they phrase their thoughts, but your objection is arbitrary, because no meaning is lost.  You know they mean 'want to' or 'going to', so the communication is successful, regardless of whether or not it is proper.

Like I said, it makes someone sound uneducated when they can't speak or write properly. Slang is not the same as proper language.  If you can speak like that but still manage to write properly then more power to you.  If you think writing "gonna" and "wanna" makes you sound professional or educated, I'd like to know the public school institution from which you received your education.

Or it's just language evolving and you're just resisting natural change.

Me Joe, you Jane.  If you think gonna is the evolution of going to, that's truly a sad thing.  For the next generation of children it will be gon' and wan'.

Sure, it's asinine.   :lol 

Pretty soon words like gonna and wanna will be accepted as proper English and people like you will be the frontrunners for the new fad. Once people start writing like they speak, it'll be back to caveman times and pretty soon we will grunt and groan to communicate. I can see the sentence of the future.  Wouldya like ta borrow mah 2 CDs?

Yep...because clearly I convey myself that way. People like me... give me a break. Get off it; you're preaching to the choir. Like it's some faction of the country, vying with the superior ones, which you yourself are clearly king of.

I hate to break this to you, but there are plenty of people who write exactly like that last sentence. Perhaps your time would be better spent preaching on facebook/tumblr/etc. Go change the world, buddy. One dumbfuck at a time. Eye'll cuntinyew 2 tawk lyke dis. *and then I fart*

I get it. I couldn't possibly agree more on the topic; but this discussion right here is asinine. You have clearly not changed anything, nor will you with the way you're conveying yourself right now. I'm pretty certain most people on this forum are quite educated and most of them have a fantastic grasp on spelling and grammar. You need to be setting up seminars at middle/high-schools across the country. I mean that sincerely, by the way. Either way it's going to shit whether you stay on that high horse or not.

OUT.  :P (P.S. I have literally never seen that before... I've heard it; but then again that's one of the many reasons I don't have any type of social media anymore)

That was actually pretty damn funny, Uncle George.

I know for a fact that there are plenty of educated people on this forum.  I also know 99.9% of them wouldn't write a sentence like, "Wouldya like ta borrow mah 2 CDs, " and consider it an evolution of language.  If you think that kind of speak is cool wit all yo frenz, I'll see yo ass in McDonald's. 

P.S. I don't take fries with that, so keep dat in mind yo... OUT

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: January 24, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »
See, you don't care.  So you basically proved my point. It's laziness that causes these changes.

You're wrong to equate apathy with laziness in this case.  It's not laziness that causes me not to care.  The reason I don't care is that when someone says 'wanna' or 'gonna', you know exactly what they mean.  You may object to the way they phrase their thoughts, but your objection is arbitrary, because no meaning is lost.  You know they mean 'want to' or 'going to', so the communication is successful, regardless of whether or not it is proper.

Like I said, it makes someone sound uneducated when they can't speak or write properly. Slang is not the same as proper language.  If you can speak like that but still manage to write properly then more power to you.  If you think writing "gonna" and "wanna" makes you sound professional or educated, I'd like to know the public school institution from which you received your education.

Another thing I don't care about is whether or not you think I sound educated.  Language doesn't exist for us to show off how educated we are.  The purpose of language is to enable us to communicate with each other. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1613 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

I don't know, dawgski. None of us are here to write a thesis. This is an online forum you're talking to. In a more relaxed setting, I think choosing to say "gonna" or "wanna" relives some tension, and has more character than the robotic "going to" or "want to". Ultimately what matters is that communication is successful and understood efficiently.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: January 24, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »

Another thing I don't care about is whether or not you think I sound educated.  Language doesn't exist for us to show off how educated we are.  The purpose of language is to enable us to communicate with each other.

So then let's just all learn sign language and call it a day. Who needs words? Will you gonna be going along wit me on dat 1?  <----- Me evolving the English language

I don't know, dawgski. None of us are here to write a thesis. This is an online forum you're talking to. In a more relaxed setting, I think choosing to say "gonna" or "wanna" relives some tension, and has more character than the robotic "going to" or "want to". Ultimately what matters is that communication is successful and understood efficiently.

I totally get that.  I don't expect everyone to speak properly in a setting like this. I'm speaking about people who don't know proper grammar. I have a 13 year old stepdaughter who is a clear cut product of this new generation of speaking.  She doesn't know basic English so she speaks in "text-speak."  Schools here in NY do not seem to be emphasizing proper language but they will make sure your child comes home with one decoration they made in school for each of the various religions during the holiday season.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1615 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
Wow. The snob portion of your handle is really rearing its ugly head over the last page. You're saying that people will look uneducated or ignorant for using words or phrases that are actually more efficient and convey the same info, sometimes even more clearly, just because of first impressions. If you've ever used a single contraction, you're laughably hypocritical for ballbreaking on gonna/wanna users. I specifically steer clear of people who are such pompous, self-righteous, and condescending miserable beings in real life because I can clearly see that they're so full of themselves or are dissatisfied with their lives that their panties end up in a bunch because they can't force others to think their way.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1616 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

I was trying to come with the most pseudo-intellectual post ever to reply to this, but I gave up. :lol

Anyway, I agree with you. I think there's a difference between illiteracy and simple evolution of language. I'm sure people of Shakespeare's day would be mortified by the way we speak. :lol

edit: black_floyd's post makes a lot of sense, though I might perhaps word it less strongly. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1617 on: January 24, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
I don't suffer condescenders well :-\
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1618 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »
Wow. The snob portion of your handle is really rearing its ugly head over the last page. You're saying that people will look uneducated or ignorant for using words or phrases that are actually more efficient and convey the same info, sometimes even more clearly, just because of first impressions. If you've ever used a single contraction, you're laughably hypocritical for ballbreaking on gonna/wanna users. I specifically steer clear of people who are such pompous, self-righteous, and condescending miserable beings in real life because I can clearly see that they're so full of themselves r dissatisfied with their lives that their panties end up in a bunch because they can't force others to think their way.

Actually I do know contractions are technically improper grammar. I am guilty of it myself here all of the time. Again, I am not speaking of internet forums or texting your friend something fast. I'm speaking of people who do not know how to use proper grammar ever because they think "text-speak" is proper and the way they speak to their friends is how they should write an essay or email. There is a clear cut difference here which obviously went over everyone's head.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1619 on: January 24, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Anyway, I agree with you. I think there's a difference between illiteracy and simple evolution of language. I'm sure people of Shakespeare's day would be mortified by the way we speak. :lol

To be fair, Shakespeare himself created so many of his own words and phrases, I'm sure people during his time would have thought the same :lol

Actually I do know contractions are technically improper grammar. I am guilty of it myself here all of the time. Again, I am not speaking of internet forums or texting your friend something fast. I'm speaking of people who do not know how to use proper grammar ever because they think "text-speak" is proper and the way they speak to their friends is how they should write an essay or email. There is a clear cut difference here which obviously went over everyone's head.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get where you're coming from. Setting is key. For example, what would people consider proper in text? In professional writing? In spoken language? It all depends. But it's a fact: language does change and it's no doubt that our own definition of what is "proper and correct grammar" in an essay, for example, won't necessarily be valid hundreds of years from now.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1620 on: January 24, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
To be fair, Shakespeare himself created so many of his own words and phrases, I'm sure people during his time would have thought the same :lol

Touché! I had forgotten about that. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1621 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
Wow. The snob portion of your handle is really rearing its ugly head over the last page. You're saying that people will look uneducated or ignorant for using words or phrases that are actually more efficient and convey the same info, sometimes even more clearly, just because of first impressions. If you've ever used a single contraction, you're laughably hypocritical for ballbreaking on gonna/wanna users. I specifically steer clear of people who are such pompous, self-righteous, and condescending miserable beings in real life because I can clearly see that they're so full of themselves r dissatisfied with their lives that their panties end up in a bunch because they can't force others to think their way.

Not quite the case. You made a harmless post about preposition-ending sentences annoying you and I made an equally harmless post providing examples of how it ain't such a bad thing. You pretty quickly took a stand as someone who looks down on people who use words like "gonna" despite the fact that even the smartest people in society regularly use it and you gradually shifted your focus toward attacking a group of people who type in a way like no one here even does, the "text speakers", once you realized that your initial stance wasn't being well-received. Basically you used extremes to attempt to validate an unclear and not particularly well-based opinion.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: January 24, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

It didn't go over my head.  I just think it's stupid.  I think it's stupid that so many people judge each other on how well they are able to adhere to a set of arbitrary rules (the conventions of proper grammar) rather than how well they are able to actually communicate. 

Don't get me wrong, if I'm applying for a job application, I'm not going to say, "If you guys hire me, it's gonna be good, because I really wanna work here."  Because I know that when I'm filling out a job application, I'm not just trying to communicate, I'm trying to impress, and the unfortunate reality is that my potential employers will probably be more impressed if I use proper grammar.  But if I'm reviewing job applications and making decisions about who to hire, I'm not going to disqualify an applicant just because they use the word 'gonna.'  Because in my ideal picture of the way the world should be, arbitrary rules like that won't matter, because they don't affect our ability to actually communicate. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:49:59 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1623 on: January 24, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
I lyke tortels.

Managers who don't know how to schedule efficiently piss me off. Or for that matter manage a business when they can't manage their own life...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1624 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
Not quite the case. You made a harmless post about preposition-ending sentences annoying you and I made an equally harmless post providing examples of how it ain't such a bad thing. You pretty quickly took a stand as someone who looks down on people who use words like "gonna" despite the fact that even the smartest people in society regularly use it and you gradually shifted your focus toward attacking a group of people who type in a way like no one here even does, the "text speakers", once you realized that your initial stance wasn't being well-received. Basically you used extremes to attempt to validate an unclear and not particularly well-based opinion.

Then that is how you perceived my posts, not how I was communicating them.  You assumed what I was saying without questioning my intent.  I think you are being a little hypersensitive about my comments. If you enjoy listening to people say "Where are your friends at?" and then seeing an email they typed up that says, "Where is my paycheck at? I didn't get it 2day," then more power to you. However, that is a problem. Don't tell me writing like that is an evolution of language and that I'm fucking arrogant because I think it's terrible that people write like  that. Like I said, I have plenty of mistakes when posting here as far as "proper grammar" goes. I'm not criticizing you or the next person for not speaking "properly" on a forum.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm applying for a job application, I'm not going to say, "If you guys hire me, it's gonna be good, because I really wanna work here."  Because I know that when I'm filling out a job application, I'm not just trying to communicate, I'm trying to impress, and the unfortunate reality is that my potential employers will probably be more impressed if I use proper grammar.  But if I'm reviewing job applications and making decisions about who to hire, I'm not going to disqualify an applicant just because they use the word 'gonna.'  Because in my ideal picture of the way the world should be, arbitrary rules like that won't matter, because they don't affect our ability to actually communicate. 

Once you cross a certain line then everything becomes arbitrary.  My problem is that people will keep creating those lines, crossing them, and soon we'll be back to monosyllabic grunts and groans.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1625 on: January 24, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
Ants.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1626 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
Ants.

I see your ants and raise you mosquitoes.

RIP DTP.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: January 24, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »
Once you cross a certain line then everything becomes arbitrary.  My problem is that people will keep creating those lines, crossing them, and soon we'll be back to monosyllabic grunts and groans.

Well, my suggestion would be to deal with the lines as they come rather than taking a stand now with an enormous slippery slope argument.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1628 on: January 24, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »

Then that is how you perceived my posts, not how I was communicating them.  You assumed what I was saying without questioning my intent.  I think you are being a little hypersensitive about my comments. If you enjoy listening to people say "Where are your friends at?" and then seeing an email they typed up that says, "Where is my paycheck at? I didn't get it 2day," then more power to you. However, that is a problem. Don't tell me writing like that is an evolution of language and that I'm fucking arrogant because I think it's terrible that people write like  that. Like I said, I have plenty of mistakes when posting here as far as "proper grammar" goes. I'm not criticizing you or the next person for not speaking "properly" on a forum.

Dude, you're defending the honor of a language which is unquestionably one of the most linguistically inconsistent among the major languages spoken in the world. I've spoken to people from numerous ethnic backgrounds who've said how English was the hardest language they'd ever had to learn and many of these people had learned at least two languages aside from their native one so it's not as though it was just difficult since it wasn't one they were groomed to speak from birth.

Also, I never defended "text speak" so you're misrepresenting my point of view just as you'd accused me of doing to you. Before you make your counter arguments, you should specifically read the posts of those whose posts you're trying to refute.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1629 on: January 24, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1630 on: January 24, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »
Ants.

Yea those fuckers are pretty much on the same level but emotionally ants take the price. I think I fell into an anthill as a kid or something like that because I have nightmares of doing exactly that. Imagine those basterds entering all your openings when you laying there facepalmed and paralyzed.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1631 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
Same here. I unknowingly sat in one as a kid. My mom frantically stripped me, threw me in the tub, and hosed me off like a pile of dirty dishes. Then at 13, I stepped in a pile barefoot after a rain storm and got as many ant bites as years I'd been alive.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1632 on: January 24, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Ants.

Yea those fuckers are pretty much on the same level but emotionally ants take the price. I think I fell into an anthill as a kid or something like that because I have nightmares of doing exactly that. Imagine those basterds entering all your openings when you laying there facepalmed and paralyzed.

I remember what I was very young I was out on the walkway outside the first house I lived in and I looked down to see a bajillion ants all crawling over my legs and feet. How I didn't feel the bites, I don't even know. Somehow didn't scar me for life. :eek

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #1633 on: January 24, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
The issue, grammatically, is when you end a sentence in an unnecessary preposition.

Correct example:
Where are you from?

Incorrect example:
Where are you at?

Sure, one could rewrite the former to not end in a preposition, but it'd likely be written awkwardly and changing is still not needed. The latter is wrong, because the meaning is not at all changed by the addition of "at."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: January 24, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
Sorry to dwell on the subject of language, since I can tell that the thread is trying to move on, but the issue is actually pretty important to me, so I'd like to say one more thing.

To summarize my thoughts on the subject, I think of language as the bridge that brings us all together.  And while that bridge should certainly be treated with respect, it's important to keep in mind that the bridge itself is only a means to an end: the true goal is for us to be able to come together and understand each other.  As long as we are able to do that, the bridge is doing its job. 

What pisses me off is when people get so caught up on what color the bridge is that they forget all about the idea of actually crossing to the other side.  Because at that point, their stubbornness is defeating the purpose of the bridge.

There.  I'm done on the subject, now.  Again, sorry for dwelling. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: January 24, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Evolution of Language

Talking like a retard.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1636 on: January 24, 2014, 02:32:51 PM »
The issue, grammatically, is when you end a sentence in an unnecessary preposition.

Correct example:
Where are you from?

Incorrect example:
Where are you at?

Sure, one could rewrite the former to not end in a preposition, but it'd likely be written awkwardly and changing is still not needed. The latter is wrong, because the meaning is not at all changed by the addition of "at."

Mr. Strunk, is that you? :eek

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1637 on: January 24, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
Evolution of Language

Talking like a retard.

Devolution of interpersonal skills

Needlessly calling people retards.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: January 24, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
Don't give a shit.

If U talk lyk dis den U R A retard N DATS DAT LOL

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
In other news, weeds.  I never really cared about weeds, but yesterday I found out how bad they can get if left unchecked.  Some of the fuckers were literally taller than me, with stalks as thick as my wrist.  I spent like three hours chopping them down, and today I can barely move my arms. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1640 on: January 24, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
So there I am, dick in hand, and then the phone rings.

That pisses me off. It like, bro, don't you know my masturbating hours by now!? (12 to 12)

RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1641 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Tablets have made jerking off so much more convenient.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #1642 on: January 24, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
So there I am, dick in hand, and then the phone rings.

That pisses me off. It like, bro, don't you know my masturbating hours by now!? (12 to 12)

Don't answer it?

I am a server/bartender, and I'm sure anyone who has worked as one will know that there are plenty of things in the job that will piss you off. There are moreso just minor irks, but anyway, here's a few:

- When you deliver someone's food, ask them if they need anything else, and they reply "the wining lottery #", or "a million bucks". Yeah, funny.

- When you are ready to give a table their check, but ask them if they'd like anything else first, they say no, and then when you drop the check, they say "Oh! We said we didn't need anything else"!  :yeahright

As I said, these are just small annoyances. The things that really grate on me are bad tippers and rude customers, of course. However, I'll save that for another day.

Edit: One more.

Customer: What's the soup?
Me: *tell them the soup*
Customer: Is that it?
Me:  :|

If there was another soup, I would have fucking told you!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:02:19 PM by Laich21DT »
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: January 24, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
Yeah people who say things that Everyone says as if they made it up.

" Live fast die young and leave a handsome corpse as I always say  :laugh: "

You mean - " I have no personality at all and have to just copy everyone around me to make up for it ".

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #1644 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »

When really hot brunette women dye their hair blonde. It's almost never an improvement.