Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 503464 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #1435 on: January 13, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
wow
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1436 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
Just wait till you've been married 7 years, and have kids that suck your will to live. We often joke about faking his own death. Sure when your in school, and your early 20s, chicks are fun. Eventually most of them turn into your mom...not all, I'm lucky enough to have one of the exceptions. But they are few.

:|
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1437 on: January 13, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
Personally I find it quite refreshing to find somebody who doesn't think his kids are the GREATEST FUCKING HUMAN BEINGS ON EARTH!!! I'm sure the guy loves his kids just like everybody else, but isn't so deluded to think that they're exceptional because they're his own.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1438 on: January 13, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Well obviously I'm not the best child on Earth, and neither is my younger brother or my older sister. My parents would agree with me. But to say your kids just suck the life out of you, as if nothing good can come from having kids... I don't believe it yet.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1439 on: January 13, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
I know I've already mentioned this, but "I could care less."
This.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1440 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
Personally I find it quite refreshing to find somebody who doesn't think his kids are the GREATEST FUCKING HUMAN BEINGS ON EARTH!!! I'm sure the guy loves his kids just like everybody else, but isn't so deluded to think that they're exceptional because they're his own.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that, but "sucking his will to live" seems a bit.... extreme to me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1441 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
Nah. My best friend growing up had that effect on his old man (although my influence likely played a huge part in that). In retrospect Leon was actually a pretty cool old guy, but his youngest really sapped the life right out of him. I know that five years before he died his doctor told him that if he didn't quit smoking and get into better shape he'd have at best five years left. He didn't quit smoking and, truth be told, honestly seemed to be at peace that that pronouncement. I've no doubt that he loved Jason dearly, but it was clear that life had just beaten him down.

Now that I think about it, the only times I recall Leon smiling was once when he was talking with my grandparents (his peers) and when he was in a casket.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1442 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11:31 PM »

The prevalence of Buffalo flavored everything is annoying, but not as annoying as buffalo wings themselves. It's the worst part of a chicken slathered with vinegar and Tabasco and sold at filet mignon prices.

Alfredo sauce is kind of a tricky one. The Italians have been using butter and cheese sauces for ever, and essentially Alfredo is a white sauce with an PDO Italian cheese. It also seems to have been invented by an Italian chef in Italy (marketing to US tourists). I'd have to say that it is an Italian sauce. That said, I suspect that any self-respecting Italian would take great offense to that.  :lol

I'm picky about where I get my wings. Most are just poorly seasoned.

Regarding alfredo sauce - Yes the original alfredo sauce was from Italy but it's not the disgusting cream-laden dish you find in some restaurants here. Either way it's not for me. Any kind of butter or cream on food makes me gag.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1443 on: January 13, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
Regarding alfredo sauce - Yes the original alfredo sauce was from Italy but it's not the disgusting cream-laden dish you find in some restaurants here. Either way it's not for me. Any kind of butter or cream on food makes me gag.
While I prefer the simple butter and Parmesan to the heavy cream version, I must say your butter/cream aversion sickens and disgusts me; heathen.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1444 on: January 13, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Alfredo is a Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and butter. Close enough to cream.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1445 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
Alfredo is butter, cheese and cream (or a white sauce). Pasta tossed with butter and cheese is pasta al burro.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1446 on: January 13, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
Alfredo is butter, cheese and cream (or a white sauce). Pasta tossed with butter and cheese is pasta al burro.

Traditionally, that's not true. It's just the cheese and butter. The cheese melting emulsifies the liquids and turns into a creamy like consistency.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1447 on: January 13, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
Exactly, the original recipe is just parmesan cheese and butter.  But try going into the majority of restaurants in the US and ask for an alfredo sauce.  You will get a hell of a lot more than a butter and cheese sauce.  That is where my issues lie. 

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #1448 on: January 13, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »

Yeah, nothing wrong with that, but "sucking his will to live" seems a bit.... extreme to me.

I know this guy in question, and I know that he loves his family very much.  But the only things we ever seem to hear from him are the bad things- the kids are always crying, the wife is always nagging, he never has any time for himself.  I know that there are a lot of good things about his life too, but I also know that families have a way of getting on people's last nerve.

And I'm pretty sure that if I ever had a kid, I know I would love it but I'm also pretty sure I'd resent it too. It would ruin my body, ruin my freedom, and ruin everything I've worked for and have going for me. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1449 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
You are quite the cutie. Keep dem looks  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #1450 on: January 14, 2014, 01:29:48 AM »
The USA isn't stupid because it doesn't use the metric system. The USA is stupid because it uses a stupid system of measurement based on nothing and with no commonality.
Which reminds me that while I think the metric system is great for almost all measurements, I've never understood the love affair some people had specifically with Celsius/Centigrade and claiming it was better than using Fahrenheit. Only using cm/m/km and such is great because they easily translate into each other to represent larger quantities. There's no such need with temperature and in terms of usability, it doesn't matter to me what the zero-point is.

Plus, Fahrenheit has an advantage in that it has a larger range of values in the temperatures that people are likely to experience in a given day, much in the same way that I hate our shower/bathtub temperature dial in that it has a tiny range between "ice cold" and "way too fucking hot."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1451 on: January 14, 2014, 03:00:56 AM »
The USA isn't stupid because it doesn't use the metric system. The USA is stupid because it uses a stupid system of measurement based on nothing and with no commonality.
Which reminds me that while I think the metric system is great for almost all measurements, I've never understood the love affair some people had specifically with Celsius/Centigrade and claiming it was better than using Fahrenheit. Only using cm/m/km and such is great because they easily translate into each other to represent larger quantities. There's no such need with temperature and in terms of usability, it doesn't matter to me what the zero-point is.

Plus, Fahrenheit has an advantage in that it has a larger range of values in the temperatures that people are likely to experience in a given day, much in the same way that I hate our shower/bathtub temperature dial in that it has a tiny range between "ice cold" and "way too fucking hot."

I'd say tt matters very much what the zero point is when it is based around water, a large part of the weather. :tup
Farenheit has no advantage other than making high temps sound more exaggerated, because people enjoy saying it's 100 degrees outside.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »
Yeah - when it's frickin cold out - the tabloids say it's -5 Celsius !!!!

But when it's abnormally hot - they go it's 105 Fahrenheit !!!!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1453 on: January 14, 2014, 03:59:07 AM »
I say we should use degrees Kelvin.

Today's temperature is 278 degrees Kelvin and it's so coooold!
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1454 on: January 14, 2014, 05:55:57 AM »

I'd say tt matters very much what the zero point is when it is based around water, a large part of the weather. :tup
Farenheit has no advantage other than making high temps sound more exaggerated, because people enjoy saying it's 100 degrees outside.

I don't care if it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit out or 37.7 degrees Celsius out.  Bring back the summer you weathery fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:09 AM »

I don't care if it's 100 degrees Fahrenheit out or 37.7 degrees Celsius out.  Bring back the summer you weathery fucks.

Do you want ours? It actually is 100F degrees the next four days here. :(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1456 on: January 14, 2014, 06:19:10 AM »

Do you want ours? It actually is 100F degrees the next four days here. :(

I do!  I do!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1457 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:44 AM »

Can you honestly feel the difference between 84F and 86F?  This argument comes from people desperate to find ways to justify why F is better than C.  It's not that one is better than the other, just that the majority of the world uses one system, and the USA is the odd one out.  If the rest of the world used F, I'd be fine with that.  It's about consistency, not which is better/worse.

Now, other measurements of weight, volume and distance... metric is simpler, which for most equals better.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: January 14, 2014, 07:07:27 AM »

Can you honestly feel the difference between 84F and 86F?  This argument comes from people desperate to find ways to justify why F is better than C.  It's not that one is better than the other, just that the majority of the world uses one system, and the USA is the odd one out.  If the rest of the world used F, I'd be fine with that.  It's about consistency, not which is better/worse.

Now, other measurements of weight, volume and distance... metric is simpler, which for most equals better.

Not to mention there's this little thing called a decimal, if it's that critical to everyone. I can't say the difference of 1C/2F has ever been vital enough to me that I can see it being reasonable justification for clinging to a particular measurement system.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: January 14, 2014, 08:38:42 AM »
I'd live in Aus for the weather ( the Uk can drop fucking dead** ) - but not for the every creature wants you dead.

** Why do people STILL go " ooh it's getting cold out isn't it ? " - EVERY FUCKING WINTER ? How old are you ? Surely this is no longer a shock ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: January 14, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
I'd live in Aus for the weather ( the Uk can drop fucking dead** ) - but not for the every creature wants you dead.

** Why do people STILL go " ooh it's getting cold out isn't it ? " - EVERY FUCKING WINTER ? How old are you ? Surely this is no longer a shock ?

I'm not sure you'd handle our heat any more than I'd handle your cold. :lol A UK "heatwave" that makes the news is just our Summer average.

But don't worry, the deadly critter situation is very exaggerated. Sure, we have some of the world's deadliest creatures, but if you're living in actual civilization (yeah, we do have some of that :P), then it's really no worse than any other country.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:15 AM »
I lived in the UAE for 8 years. I love the hot. i can't get enough of it.

But i've experienced a UAE heatwave and a UK record cold so I can do both ;D

I've never experienced a truly arctic cold though. Might have to one day.

Last summer in the UK was glorious though. I'm fairly certain it was *something* since records began - but every year is something since records began.

i don't understand people that prefer the weather dark and cold. That's just miserable to me. Why would you not like daylight and warmth ?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1462 on: January 14, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »

Last summer in the UK was glorious though. I'm fairly certain it was *something* since records began - but every year is something since records began.

i don't understand people that prefer the weather dark and cold. That's just miserable to me. Why would yo unot like daylight and warmth ?

Under An Emerate moon?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: January 14, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »

i don't understand people that prefer the weather dark and cold. That's just miserable to me. Why would you not like daylight and warmth ?

Ah, I didn't realize you'd lived there. :tup
I personally hate heat. It just drains me, and makes me dizzy, and it's dull and boring. Cold with rain is amazing (Australian cold, that is :lol), and it's inspiring and beautiful. But as I said, I'm referring to Australian cold. I've never seen snow in my life, or experienced anything near that cold.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:21 AM »
What I do like is when it's an absolutely scorching day - like 105 F or something decent like that and you get a massive torrential downpour but it's that super fat - super heavy rain and because it's such a hot day - the rain itself is hot too and it feels amazing to stand in it - get drenched and be dry again within half an hour after it stops.

:)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:10 AM »
I don't ever stand in the rain, nor stand outside long enough in general to get dry if I did get wet. :lol When it's raining, I just want to stay inside and enjoy the sound and sight of it.

I hate when it's a hot day and it only rains a bit, and doesn't cool it off, but just makes it really humid. I can tolerate the heat if it's dry, but the humidity makes it so uncomfortable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: January 14, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
I used to hate having insomnia in the summer and hearing the birds and seeing the sunrise at 4am but now i'm not so bothered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
I used to hate having insomnia in the summer and hearing the birds and seeing the sunrise at 4am but now i'm not so bothered.

That and sun in your eyes (my bedroom window faces the sunrise(. And at the moment here the cicadas are loud as fuck. Just last night one actually woke me up, it was that damn loud. Annoying little shits!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1468 on: January 14, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Yeah, that bugs me too. Summer in Texas is hot. You're used to it by now. And every day it's one degree warmer is a new excuse to discuss the heat. After about 104 there's no need to keep talking about it. "Wow, it's supposed to be 106 tomorrow!" Fucking wanker.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1469 on: January 14, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
I do not like hot weather.  Anything past 85 is truly getting on my nerves.  AND pissed off.   >:(

I can handle the cold much better...and I do like rain.  More in line with my introspective nature (I like English weather), although I love a beautiful sunny day like the next person.  :)

However, I've lived in Chicago and as such, have endured arctic cold snaps (-30 F) and deadly heatwaves (over 95 for weeks at a time and humid).  I will NEVER miss that sort of weather.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:13:52 PM by sueño »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."