Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught  (Read 178900 times)

Orbert, gmillerdrake and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: The post funny stuff thread v.Aleph-naught
« Reply #3115 on: September 21, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3116 on: September 21, 2023, 01:33:13 PM »
That's a real book.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3117 on: September 21, 2023, 04:23:25 PM »
So it is.

Real can still be funny.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3118 on: September 21, 2023, 06:12:42 PM »
So it is.

Real can still be funny.
Indeed!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3119 on: September 21, 2023, 06:59:18 PM »
This will explain it, but won't make it funny
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/loss

TL;DR Millennial humor is weird and doesn't always make sense. Just move past it.

There's another thing like this, right? It's 4 panels and the position of things is the theme that people copy. I don't know how to search for it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3120 on: September 25, 2023, 05:50:06 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3121 on: September 25, 2023, 05:57:13 PM »
 Classic!  :tup

Baseball hat and reading glasses optional
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3122 on: September 26, 2023, 11:52:00 AM »
this is my 420th post, so as a treat, i am gonna make it extra sticky if you know what i mean  :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat

:jsem:
:getoverhere:
:getoffmylawn:
:psycho:
:dimitrius:
:tiredpanda:
:backupslowly:
:lateralus2:
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3123 on: September 27, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: September 28, 2023, 03:26:28 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3125 on: September 28, 2023, 10:59:17 AM »
After a couple of WTWs, it’s good to be back to normal here  :justjen
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3126 on: September 29, 2023, 05:58:16 AM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3127 on: September 29, 2023, 08:50:07 AM »

Good Lord.....this one is very, very accurate    :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3128 on: September 29, 2023, 09:50:57 AM »
My wife will start a conversation with stuff like "So I talked to her, and she said any time is fine."  WTF?  Like, we can be sitting on the couch watching TV, and during a commercial break I get this.

As it turns out, we'd discussed earlier that day, or even a day or two before, about meeting up with friends, and we had a date but not a time, so Mrs. Orbert had to contact Mrs. Friend to figure out when we should stop by.  Okay, so we're apparently continuing that conversation, or rather concluding it.  The problem is that we've had anywhere from five to 10 to 20 conversations in the six to 24 to 48 hours since then, and I guess I'm supposed to know from context which one we're following up on.  It keeps things interesting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3129 on: September 29, 2023, 12:23:52 PM »
My wife will start a conversation with stuff like "So I talked to her, and she said any time is fine."  WTF?  Like, we can be sitting on the couch watching TV, and during a commercial break I get this.

As it turns out, we'd discussed earlier that day, or even a day or two before, about meeting up with friends, and we had a date but not a time, so Mrs. Orbert had to contact Mrs. Friend to figure out when we should stop by.  Okay, so we're apparently continuing that conversation, or rather concluding it.  The problem is that we've had anywhere from five to 10 to 20 conversations in the six to 24 to 48 hours since then, and I guess I'm supposed to know from context which one we're following up on.  It keeps things interesting.

My wife and I have a thing.  Well, I have a thing, with my wife.  She'll start talking and I go "PRONOUNS".  Not he/her/him/they, like in the P/R thread, but rather, "please use names, because I have no idea to whom you're referring here."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3130 on: September 29, 2023, 12:25:56 PM »

My wife and I have a thing.  Well, I have a thing, with my wife.  She'll start talking and I go "PRONOUNS".  Not he/her/him/they, like in the P/R thread, but rather, "please use names, because I have no idea to whom you're referring here."

See, that rarely works with me. My wife is a Rabbi and works heavily in the local Jewish world. So at least 600% of the people she mentions are named Sarah or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3131 on: September 29, 2023, 12:30:51 PM »

Exactly!  It's not like clear communication is that hard.  "So I talked to Linda, and she said any time is fine."  If I get a name, I have the context and can (usually) recall the conversation that we're apparently following up on.

By the way, he/she/they are pronouns.  The term you want is "proper nouns".  Names.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3132 on: September 29, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »

See, that rarely works with me. My wife is a Rabbi and works heavily in the local Jewish world. So at least 600% of the people she mentions are named Sarah or something.

My wife is named Sarah!  (although she's not Jewish)

But my wife has an annoying habit of making new acquaintances with the same names as people we already know.  She'll be well into a story about "Leslie," and I think she's talking about our daughter's godmother, and then she says something that doesn't make sense, at which point she clarifies that she's talking about "Leslie from the gym" or something or other, and I have to go back and re-evaluate the entire story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3133 on: September 29, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »

Exactly!  It's not like clear communication is that hard.  "So I talked to Linda, and she said any time is fine."  If I get a name, I have the context and can (usually) recall the conversation that we're apparently following up on.

By the way, he/she/they are pronouns.  The term you want is "proper nouns".  Names.

No, no, no; I get that.  I mean "PRONOUNS!" as in "Stop using pronouns!"   The him/he/they thing was a sort of joke reference to P/R.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3134 on: September 29, 2023, 02:57:13 PM »
Ah, I got it.  I figured you would know the correct term, but somehow that's not the direction my brain went.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3135 on: September 29, 2023, 03:23:25 PM »

No, no, no; I get that.  I mean "PRONOUNS!" as in "Stop using pronouns!"   The him/he/they thing was a sort of joke reference to P/R.

Have you ever watched Cinema Sins videos on YouTube?  One of the more common sins is when a character plays "the pronoun game" in order to conceal something from the audience.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3136 on: September 29, 2023, 03:25:08 PM »
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3137 on: September 29, 2023, 09:04:35 PM »

Have you ever watched Cinema Sins videos on YouTube?  One of the more common sins is when a character plays "the pronoun game" in order to conceal something from the audience.
I love Cinema Sins, and that joke always gets me :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3138 on: September 29, 2023, 09:49:06 PM »

I thought he applied that sin because it was indicative of poor writing.

I don't get the 3-panel picture, maybe a pop culture reference I am not going to get?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3139 on: September 29, 2023, 11:01:59 PM »
I don't get the 3-panel picture, maybe a pop culture reference I am not going to get?

Yeah...I have no idea either.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3140 on: September 30, 2023, 06:25:15 AM »
I wanna say Shakespeare?

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3141 on: September 30, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »
yes it's a pop culture reference... 8th century bc greece pop culture :lol would not expect progressive rock fans to miss a moirai reference!
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

« Reply #3142 on: September 30, 2023, 06:32:47 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirai_(video_game)

Moirai was a 2013 indie game developed by Chris Johnson, Brad Barrett and John Oestmann. Described as an experimental game,[1] it is revealed to the player that their decisions and input influence the experience of the next person to play the game. Moirai received analysis and reflection from critics and academics about the moral implications raised in the game. Due to trolling and a hack of the game's database, Moirai was discontinued in June 2017.

rip moirai
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3143 on: September 30, 2023, 07:05:21 PM »
You’re both a very strange dude.

On a board with many strange dudes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3144 on: September 30, 2023, 07:10:13 PM »
guessing they don't teach greek theology in school anymore :lol

« Reply #3145 on: September 30, 2023, 07:19:42 PM »
why do we tell actors and actresses to "break a leg"?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3146 on: September 30, 2023, 09:53:14 PM »
why do we tell actors and actresses to "break a leg"?

In the early days of theater, the "leg line" is where ensemble actors were queued to perform.  If actors were not performing, they had to stay behind the "leg line," which also meant they wouldn't get paid.  If you were to tell the actor to "break a leg," you were wishing them the opportunity to perform and get paid.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3147 on: October 01, 2023, 11:11:40 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: October 02, 2023, 07:35:21 AM »

I have no idea what all that is.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3149 on: October 02, 2023, 10:12:13 AM »

I have no idea what all that is.

Cinema Sins is a YouTube channel where they critique movies (they also do TV and other media, but I only really watch the movie critiques).  It's very humorous/tongue in cheek.  I find it mostly hilarious (you have to be willing to accept someone poking holes in movies you like).  "The pronoun game" is pretty much exactly what you described with your wife.