Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61929 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Good start depending on the rest of the results.
I'm sure you'll win the Fogey challenge.

Not going old school next round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Part 2 of the results coming soon...

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

Literally about to make some actual popcorn.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i'm making :soon: :corn

Online Revenge319

I was about to ask what the Roadrunner Records thing even meant, but upon quoting you I've found out it means "soon".
I'm assuming this is just some DTF inside joke I don't get.

• DTF.org Member

I was about to ask what the Roadrunner Records thing even meant, but upon quoting you I've found out it means "soon".
I'm assuming this is just some DTF inside joke I don't get.
:metardica:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It sure is.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Revenge319

Results 2/3!

HOF
Journey

First impression: It seems similar to most 80's pop/rock I've heard. It's good but nothing special.

Final review: To be honest, my thoughts haven’t really changed from my first impression, although I have grown to like one of the songs a little more. This is the kind of music my mom will sometimes listen to, although I’m not sure if she does listen to Journey specifically. When it comes to the “80’s pop/rock” aesthetic, she leans more towards the pop side, like the whole new wave stuff. And I bring that up because how I feel about that perfectly applies here. It’s good, there’s even some very good stuff once in a while, but it’s not quite the stuff I’d really return to. The highlights for me are “Mother, Father”, which has a really good chorus, and I also like “Trial by Fire”, which has this nice rainy atmosphere. While these aren’t songs I love, I do appreciate them and there are even a couple songs I can say I really liked.

Mother, Father - 8/10
One More - 7.75/10
Rubicon - 7/10
Trial by Fire - 8/10

Roulette score: 7.7

---------------------------

Anguyen92
Alter Bridge

First impression: Nothing all that remarkable, but still pretty good, I'd say.

Final review: While Alter Bridge isn’t one of my favorites of this round, it has grown on me. I would still say that there’s nothing particularly remarkable about these songs, but despite that, there’s some pretty good material here. My favorite of the songs would be “Blackbird”, a song that’s mellow but energetic, and has some very heartfelt lyrics. I fortunately can’t say I relate to these lyrics, but I imagine this is a very emotional and powerful song to anyone who can relate to this. Aside from that, there’s some other great material, like “Forever Falling”, which has a really satisfying chorus. I think as a whole, this is an example of a band that’s quite good, but it’s outclassed by a lot of other stuff. But hey, I’d say they were certainly worth a shot!

Blackbird - 8.25/10
Cry of Achilles - 7.75/10
Forever Falling - 8/10
Walking the Sky - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.9

TAC
UFO

First impression: I like the music, though I'm entirely sure how I feel about the vocals.

Final review: I was rather interested to listen to these guys, since I do know how much TAC loves this band. While I can’t say I love them, I think they’re pretty good if these songs are anything to go by. The music is often interesting and fun to listen to, and the vocals have grown on me a lot. One thing I’ve noticed is that they seem to be better with the slower songs, like “Love to Love”, which has some really nice instrumentals, especially in the intro. They do good when they’re more upbeat as well. “Black Cold Coffee” is an exciting song that’s just a lot of fun to listen to, and sometimes that’s all you need to make a good song. The other two songs help to showcase their upbeat and slower sides, though I found these to be a little less interesting, but still pretty good. As a whole, I’m not sure if I’ll check out the band any further, but I’ll probably return to my two favorites here from time to time.

Black Cold Coffee - 8/10
Love to Love - 8.25/10
One More for the Rodeo - 7.5/10
Profession of Violence - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 7.9

Stadler
KISS

First impression: I expected this to be very mediocre, but these guys actually aren't all that bad!

Final review: I get the feeling at least a few people were anticipating my writeup on KISS. After all, it’s a very famous yet also rather infamous band as well. And going in, the more skeptical side of me was fully expecting it to be bland and mediocre, and just a product of its time. So what are my thoughts on it? Well, it’s nothing particularly interesting, but I honestly can’t say it’s bad. It’s decent enough. At the very least, I can see why KISS was so popular back then. If I may be cynical and pompous about my tastes for just a moment, I think there’s a few bands out there that did not exactly deserve their popularity… but all things considered, I don’t think KISS fits into that category. Although I am coming across as positive, I will most likely never listen to KISS again, just because anything I like about them is done way better by other classic rock bands.
Like I said, they’re just decent. Not bad at all, but not necessarily good; it’s passable. It was a worthwhile time giving this band a shot.
(Slightly unrelated to the results, but I should mention that I generally only accept four songs at most for a roulette. If they’re shorter songs that flow into each other really well, then that’s fine. I bring this up, as Stadler sent five songs. I’m alright with that, though, considering all the songs were really short (the longest one was barely longer than 4 minutes). But yeah, just as a heads-up, stick to four songs or less unless you have good reason to include more.)

Deuce - 6.75/10
Flaming Youth - 6.5/10
Plaster Caster - 6/10
Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em - 6.25/10
She - 6.5/10

Roulette score: 6.4

Nightwish

First impression: This is great! I wish I'd listened to this sooner.

Final review: I wonder if anyone guessed that me saying that I wish I’d listened sooner was a hint for said band being Nightwish… Anyway, this band was probably the biggest surprise for me in this whole round. I’m not sure what I was expecting in the first place, but what I heard basically blew those expectations away. I love symphonic elements in metal, and this is exactly the kind of stuff I love! This submission contains perhaps my favorite song in this whole round, “The Poet and the Pendulum”. (It’s either this or Hyperventilate, ’ll decide which is better at some point.) So much grandeur! It has a very cinematic feel to it, almost like I’m listening to a recording of a play. The other songs are really great, too. “Ghost Love Score” is really good, despite there being a minute or so of aimless ambience. There’s also a moment at about 5:40 that I know I’ve heard somewhere before… Also, I see a lot of people comparing the different singers that have been in the band, but honestly, if I never saw any comments about that, I don’t know if I ever would’ve noticed there were different singers. They just sound kind of similar to me. But that’s a good thing, because I love the singing, no matter who’s doing it! For the most part, I’m not used to female vocals, so this is also pretty refreshing for me. This is so good… Honestly, it’s hard to say what makes Devin Townsend better than Nightwish for me. I guess Devin Townsend just had a bigger impression on me? Either way, this is without a doubt one of the best bands in this round.

Stargazers - 8.5/10
Bless The Child - 8.75/10
The Poet and the Pendulum - 9.5/10
Ghost Love Score - 8.75/10

Roulette score: 8.9

Twosuitsluke
Coheed and Cambria

First impression: Given time, I may be converted.

Final review: “425, send a sweet, sweet Coheed song that will convert young Revenge forever!” Well, it wasn’t 425 who sent it, but the end goal has more or less been accomplished anyway. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I did know a couple songs by Coheed and Cambria prior to this roulette. Similarly to my thoughts on Rush, after giving these songs some time, I think I’m really into them now. The highlight for me here is “Here We Are Juggernaut”. At first I was confused as to why the audio quality was so bad… then I realized that that’s how the song is actually supposed to sound, and I started to enjoy it a lot more after that. There’s a lot of emotion in the singing, especially right before the first chorus. “This is not your playground, it’s my heart!” Another song I really enjoyed was Old Flames. At first, it seemed kind of underwhelming, but now I really like it. The ending with the “na-na na na na”’s is SO GOOD. One thing I like about this band is that no matter what the lyrics are, the singing makes them feel so important and/or emotional. In “In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3”, there’s this line in the chorus that says, “Man your own jackhammer”. If this were most other bands, that line would sound really stupid, but here, it actually sounds kind of cool. This is a very good band, to be sure.

The Willing Well III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth - 8.25/10
Here We Are Juggernaut - 9.25/10
Old Flames - 9/10
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 - 8/10

Roulette score: 8.6

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:01:07 PM by Revenge319 »

• DTF.org Member
By the way, while I'm happy to have scored so high, I'm noticing a slightly disturbing trend - apart from Frost* (who I'm not familiar enough with), my favorite song from each of the submissions thus far ended up scoring either lowest or second-to-lowest among the batch. :lol (Marathon, Untouchable Pt. 1, Hadopelagic II, All A Man Can Do, and Addicted! respectively)
Now that I've seen the second batch of scores, I'm going to second this.....hmm
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
 :omg: at Poet and the Pendulum > Ghost Love Score (unless the live version from Wembley was submitted)

Also, once you listen to more of Nightwish, you’ll realize the three vocalists are quite distinguishable from one another.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
:omg: at Poet and the Pendulum > Ghost Love Score (unless the live version from Wembley was submitted)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Revenge319

It was a live version from 2012 in Buenos Aires. Floor Jansen was the singer in this one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hah! Not surprised by the score. Even though UFO are my favorite band, I rarely, and I mean rarely send them in roulettes. I certainly would've never sent them here had it not been for J Boy's Fogey Challenge.

And Stadler... :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Revenge319

Hah! Not surprised by the score. Even though UFO are my favorite band, I rarely, and I mean rarely send them in roulettes. I certainly would've never sent them here had it not been for J Boy's Fogey Challenge.

Oh, were you expecting me to give him a lower score?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
"aimless ambience" in Ghost Love Score? :facepalm:

That doesn't bode well for one of the songs I sent for Round 2 :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member

Doesn't bode well for either song I sent for round 2.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh, were you expecting me to give him a lower score?

No, it's typical Stadler. Even Kingshmegland and I were joking that Stadler would pick like the 5 worst songs of the band. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Revenge319

Doesn't bode well for either song I sent for round 2.

Eh, don't worry about it. I'm sure a lot of people would say The Count of Tuscany and Illumination Theory contain "aimless ambience", and I would highly, highly disagree with that. I like ambience, I just happened to not care much for that specific section in Ghost Love Score.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
He didn't even send a song from the album "Revenge" to Revenge!  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Offline Anguyen92

Final review: While Alter Bridge isn’t one of my favorites of this round, it has grown on me. I would still say that there’s nothing particularly remarkable about these songs, but despite that, there’s some pretty good material here. My favorite of the songs would be “Blackbird”, a song that’s mellow but energetic, and has some very heartfelt lyrics. I fortunately can’t say I relate to these lyrics, but I imagine this is a very emotional and powerful song to anyone who can relate to this. Aside from that, there’s some other great material, like “Forever Falling”, which has a really satisfying chorus. I think as a whole, this is an example of a band that’s quite good, but it’s outclassed by a lot of other stuff. But hey, I’d say they were certainly worth a shot!

Correct.  They got a few other songs as well that covers the topic of loved one passing as well (In Loving Memory and Godspeed) that many of the fans have related to.  I should have thrown the title track of Fortress in it, but I didn't want to oversaturate the list with 3 long songs.

I'm probably going to have to rethink my plan for the next few rounds.  I don't think the bands I thought to provide will give you as much enjoyment as Nightwish and Coheed & Cambria (then again, those are bands that are pretty hard to not enjoy).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No they're not. ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
 :corn :corn :corn

Online HOF

HOF
Journey

First impression: It seems similar to most 80's pop/rock I've heard. It's good but nothing special.

Final review: To be honest, my thoughts haven’t really changed from my first impression, although I have grown to like one of the songs a little more. This is the kind of music my mom will sometimes listen to, although I’m not sure if she does listen to Journey specifically. When it comes to the “80’s pop/rock” aesthetic, she leans more towards the pop side, like the whole new wave stuff. And I bring that up because how I feel about that perfectly applies here. It’s good, there’s even some very good stuff once in a while, but it’s not quite the stuff I’d really return to. The highlights for me are “Mother, Father”, which has a really good chorus, and I also like “Trial by Fire”, which has this nice rainy atmosphere. While these aren’t songs I love, I do appreciate them and there are even a couple songs I can say I really liked.

Mother, Father - 8/10
One More - 7.75/10
Rubicon - 7/10
Trial by Fire - 8/10

Roulette score: 7.7

Hey, 7.7 is better than I usually pull in an opening round! My goal was to send you stuff that wasn’t like the side of Journey you might hear on the radio. I’m not sure where you’re hearing new wave or pop, but I suppose the general tone/production style might be there. I think there are a lot of parallels between Journey and DT actually. JLB is a big fan (I think he rates Mother, Father specifically as one of his favorite songs), and there’s a lot of Neal Schon in JP’s soloing. I also sent One More since it features a lot of double bass playing that’s somewhat reminiscent of Portnoy’s playing. I’m glad you liked Mother, Father and Trial By Fire at least.

Will be sending you round 2 soon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hey, 7.7 is better than I usually pull in an opening round!

That's because you usually send Winger! :lol

Online HOF

Hey, 7.7 is better than I usually pull in an opening round!

That's because you usually send Winger! :lol

There’s still time for that!

Offline 425

Wow, really glad you liked Nightwish so much! I like your description of The Poet and the Pendulum, that definitely captures some of what I like so much about it. As for the quiet section of Ghost Love Score, maybe try listening to a different version of it and see if you can get into it a bit more? The one drawback of the version I sent you, which I do think is the best overall, is that the symphonic parts are a little lower in the mix, so between that and the crowd noise, I can see how some of the detail of that section might have been lost. But yeah, overall, really, really happy with my score, and more importantly really happy that Nightwish made such a positive impression on you! Let me know any time if you want more thoughts about albums to start with, etc.!

As for the singers, I can understand not distinguishing them too clearly if you're not used to listening to female-fronted metal—I can't be too confrontational about you getting confused, as the guy who repeatedly fails to identify whether a singer is male or female! I'd say it's a good sign that you seem to like all of them and won't get frustrated with the switches from one to another. I do imagine that if you listen to them more you'll start to tell the three apart, though, as jingle.boy said.

Also glad that you liked Coheed, even though I didn't send them. It's fair that Luke got to send them, though, since I think he's probably the biggest C&C fan on DTF. Those are some good choices, too. The one song I'd recommend from them that he didn't send is Gravity's Union.

Also, once you listen to more of Nightwish, you’ll realize the three vocalists are quite distinguishable from one another.

I sent the studio version of Poet and the Buenos Aires live version of GLS (the original Ghost Love Floor video). Not sure which song you were referring to the Wembley version of, but here's why I chose those particular versions:

For Poet, I wanted to include all three vocalists somewhere in my four submissions, and since I knew for sure I'd be sending GLF and I was pretty well settled on doing one song from Century Child and one song from Oceanborn/Wishmaster, TPatP was the best place to get Anette in. And while I like Floor's performance on that song as well, Anette's version is the one I fell in love with.

For GLS, it might be nostalgia, but I still think the first release of Floor's performance of that song is the best one. She hits the finale so cleanly, and there's this sense of excitement in the band and the audience since it's still a pretty new phenomenon.

As for the question of which song is better: I also would put Ghost Love Score ahead of Poet, but these are my #1 and #2 Nightwish songs, so I can't really argue too strongly with either order.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

It was a live version from 2012 in Buenos Aires. Floor Jansen was the singer in this one.

I sent the studio version of Poet and the Buenos Aires live version of GLS (the original Ghost Love Floor video).

Yeah, so that's even double  :omg: :omg:  Ghost Love Floor is god-tier.  Like, the best thing that's ever come out of Nightwish.  @ 425... I was referring to the last DVD release, where Floor did P&P.  If it was *that* against studio GLS, that's the only thing that (imo) would put them close to on par.  I find it bizarre you reference aimless ambience in GLS... what the heck is the last 4 minutes of P&P!?!?!   :lol  I mean, I literally cut the song off at the 10 minute mark in my library.

As for the singers, I can understand not distinguishing them too clearly if you're not used to listening to female-fronted metal—

Fair point.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Revenge319

Only three more bands left to score! Depending on when that's finished, I may post results before I go to sleep, though if I end up feeling too tired, I'll have to save Part 3 for when I wake up.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
This is why I'll always try and send three songs on the short-ish side rather than four songs, two of which are epics :corn no shade, this IS DTF, but a lot of people sent epic length rounds.

For GLS, it might be nostalgia, but I still think the first release of Floor's performance of that song is the best one. She hits the finale so cleanly, and there's this sense of excitement in the band and the audience since it's still a pretty new phenomenon.
I'm with you. Seeing how we never thought we'd never hear Ghost Love Score performed competently again, that whole roll of excitement after Floor joined the band on tour and mentioned the song as one of her faves and talked the band into doing it was one of the best sequences of my life with music overall. Didn't even need any of the performances recorded after that, though it's always fun to have several.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Revenge319

This is why I'll always try and send three songs on the short-ish side rather than four songs, two of which are epics :corn no shade, this IS DTF, but a lot of people sent epic length rounds.

Honestly, I think the main reason it's taken me this long is just because of how many people joined my roulette. I seriously didn't expect 19 people to join this thing. If anything, I've learned that, should I ever run a roulette again in the future, it is probably for the best that I limit my participants. I don't mind having so many participants now, though! For this roulette, the more exposure I get to new music, the better.
Though it's funny you mention song lengths being the reason, because someone sent me two songs for Round 2 that are... long, to say the least.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
someone sent me two songs for Round 2 that are... long, to say the least.
okay fess up everyone, who sent him Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So glad you liked Coheed! They are just a band that keep on giving! I tried to send 4 songs that covered a broad spectrum of what they have to offer. I'm a huge fan of Here We Are Juggernaut, obviously, but the album is often considered to be their weakest (due to the production and shift in style). Although it's not their best, it features some gems.

Old Flames was a grower for me too but I love it dearly now. It's great for the singalong!

Now picture this, you're at a show, with a 2,000 strong crowd, and Coheed play In Keeping Secrets! Trust me when I say that Coheed fans, on the whole, are rabid and fully into their live show. Imagine 80% (if not more) of this crowd singing every word, to every song and then we get to the "Man your own Jackhammer!" line! It's such an experience.

I notice you didn't mention The Willing Well III. In hindsight this song may not be the best to send to introduce someone to the band. It's self indulgent on my part as I love it. You may appreciate it more in the context of the album (which is album I suggest you start with) and also once you understand the concept of the record. By the way do you know anything about the concept to their albums?

Lastly, @425, I was so close to sending Gravity's Union. Revenge, you clearly like lyrics and emotion in them, so get back to us after you've listened to the "CAAAAAAAGGGGGGEDDDD, LOCKED IN PERPETUAL MOTION" part  :rollin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:42:49 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
all of my submissions are under 30 minutes in total, is all i'll say  :lol

which is,

a lot

but not quite excessive  :hat