3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 190374 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Wild Card Week
« Reply #2625 on: January 03, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
I didn't put AB's behavior on Ben; I said Ben and Tomlin both enabled AB's childish behavior.

Ultimately, this is all on Antonio Brown, but I think it's obvious that the leadership at the top has been lacking, and that starts with both the coach and the QB.

I'd say part of the coach's job is to correct AB's bad behavior. I don't think that is part of Ben's job at all. Tomlin has done many things over the years that I could point to that directly enabled this type of behavior in AB. I can't do that with Ben.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2626 on: January 03, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
Anyway, as far as this weekend goes, here are my picks:

Ind @ Hou
Sea @ Dal
LAC @ Bal
Phi @ Chi

What I think will likely happy is pretty much in line with what I want to happen.

I would love if you're right.  I loathe both the Seahawks and the Ravens, but I feel like Seattle over Dallas is probably the most likely result in any of these games.  I'm also skeptical about the Chargers beating the Ravens, although the two teams having played just a couple weeks ago should give the Chargers a bit of a boost.

I have a feeling Houston may pull through and finally win a playoff game, and I agree that Chicago will likely beat Philly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2627 on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:40 AM »
Even though Seattle has a big edge at both head coach and QB, I think Dallas will win.  The Seahawks aren't nearly as good on the road as they are at home, and the Cowboys D is pretty damn good.  I think their D and a lot of Elliot running the ball will get them a boring, low-scoring win.

Ravens/Chargers is tough.  Despite the game two weeks ago, the Chargers are the better team, but they are a west coast team having to play on the road early on the east coast Sunday (talk about getting screwed again).  Not an ideal situation for them.

The Eagles are healthier now, but that Bears D is something else. Unless Trubisky gets turnover-happy, I think the Bears take it.

It goes without saying that I never trust a Bill O'Brien team, so I am picking the Colts.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2628 on: January 03, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »

I have a feeling Houston may pull through and finally win a playoff game

What do you mean by "finally"? We've won the WC round 3 out of 4 times, including 1/2 in the BOB era.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2629 on: January 03, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »

What do you mean by "finally"? We've won the WC round 3 out of 4 times, including 1/2 in the BOB era.

Shows how much attention I pay to the Texans....  And I'd have sworn I read or heard something about them never having won a playoff game.  Oh well.  At least your team is IN the playoffs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2630 on: January 04, 2019, 07:37:50 AM »
Never take anything the media says about less-popular teams' franchise histories seriously. I've learned, on numerous occasions, that basically one person hunts down a stat and then one media outlet after another will regurgitate it regardless of accuracy. Just from spending numerous occasions nerding out on wikipedia and profootballreference I've run into several instances of the media perpetuating false stats, "records", etc., on things where I instantly knew they were wrong just by it coincidentally being something I'd already researched in the past.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2631 on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:01 AM »
Here are my playoff picks. As a Chiefs fan I would love for this to be their year however their defense is just not good enough. Next year will be their year.

Wild Card
Ind @ Hou- This should be good game among divisional foes who are fairly evenly matched though I think Houston is slightly better on both sides of the ball and they win at home.
Sea @ Dal- I hate Dallas and they have either been great or terrible. Seattle has been consistently just good enough to win. I think there is a Dallas meltdown and Seattle wins.
LAC @ Bal- Chargers are the best wild card team and they easily beat Baltimore.
Phi @ Chi- Bears defense is too much for the Eagles though the game is closer than most expect. The Eagles have been hot lately but I just don't see how the Bears lose this game.

Divisional Round
Sea @ NO- A very rested Saints team gets an easy win.
Chi @ LAR- This should be a great rematch though I think the Rams win this won at home in non-frigid weather. Honestly, I think the Super Bowl champ is the winner of this game.
LAC @ KC- And another great rematch. After squeaking out a win in KC a few weeks ago I think the Chargers have no fear of the Chiefs and we all know Reids playoff history. If KC wins this game they make the Super Bowl. Going with my Chiefs.
Hou @ NE- Houston handled the patriots earlier in the year and I think they do it again. The patriots have Brady but I just don't trust who is around him.

Conference Championship
LAR @ NO- This would be a hell of a game and another great rematch. The surprising lack of offense from the Saints lately makes me lean towards the rams.
Hou @ KC- As bad as the Chiefs defense is Houston doesn't have the offense fire power to keep up with the Chiefs.

Super Bowl
LAR vs KC- This is the rematch of the year after the crazy MNF game. As mentioned above I just don't think KC has the defense to win a title this year. Rams win the title in a thriller.

Now let's see many I get wrong.  ;D

Offline rab7

« Reply #2632 on: January 04, 2019, 07:52:54 AM »

Hou @ NE- Houston handled the patriots earlier in the year and I think they do it again. The patriots have Brady but I just don't trust who is around him.

Hou @ KC- As bad as the Chiefs defense is Houston doesn't have the offense fire power to keep up with the Chiefs.

We lost 27-20 in Week 1, so I'm not sure what you mean by "handled the Patriots". That said, it was Watson's first game back from a torn ACL so he was pretty rusty.

As long as we have a healthy Watson, that's all the firepower we need. Though I do agree that we won't keep up. It'll be close, but it'll probably come down to whoever has more turnovers. Our defense hasn't been able to stop anyone lately.

I'm thinking 42-35 Chiefs, assuming we even beat the Patriots.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2633 on: January 04, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »

Shows how much attention I pay to the Texans....  And I'd have sworn I read or heard something about them never having won a playoff game.  Oh well.  At least your team is IN the playoffs.

I forgive you. I thought you were making a thinly veiled insult about how our only playoff wins have been against the Carr-less 2016 Raiders, and the Bengals in 2011 and 2012, who haven't won a playoff game since the 90's.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2634 on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »
Whoever wins the Seattle @ Dallas game will likely fall to the Saints next week. I'm rooting for Seattle or Dallas to beat the saints, but not likely.  Dallas beat the Saints earlier but that was at home, it would be a good re-match though.  I'm still not counting out the Seahawks either, they're hungry and are playing as good as anybody on a good day.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2635 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »

We lost 27-20 in Week 1, so I'm not sure what you mean by "handled the Patriots". That said, it was Watson's first game back from a torn ACL so he was pretty rusty.

As long as we have a healthy Watson, that's all the firepower we need. Though I do agree that we won't keep up. It'll be close, but it'll probably come down to whoever has more turnovers. Our defense hasn't been able to stop anyone lately.

I'm thinking 42-35 Chiefs, assuming we even beat the Patriots.
I don't see the Texans winning in Foxborough. In fact, have they ever? My hunch is that NE wins at home and loses to KC at Arrowhead.

The SEA/DAL game is a tough one. Dallas is the better team, but I keep coming back to Carrol vs Garret, and Dallas's history of always coming up just short in the playoffs. A bobbled hold. Calvin Johnson rule bullshit. Aaron Rodgers heroics. They just never catch a break.

No underdog mystique this year. Chicago beats the Eagles.

The Chargers are definitely the better team, and they'll very likely win this, but I don't have a huge amount of confidence in Rivers. This game's by no means a certainty.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2636 on: January 04, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
Yeah, it that's the scenario,  El Barto has it right.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2637 on: January 04, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »
Pete Carrol and Dak Prescott understand Dallas and football better than most.

Quote from: Pete Carrol
It’s a real glitzy place you know. When you come out of a football locker room ready to play football and you go into a nightclub, it’s kind of like, ‘We’re in the club. No, wait a minute, we gotta go play ball.’ And then you come back to the club and they’re all — anyway — it’s unusual. And then they’re right with you too. Those people that are sitting behind you, I don’t know how they see the game. It doesn’t look like they care; they’re having such a good time. It is an unusual place.
Jerry never wanted to build a house of football. He wanted a big circus tent, which is exactly what Dallas wants. People who go to the game go to party and go to be seen. That's why 30k people shell out money to get in the stadium and not even have a seat. As much as they hate him, Dallasites were very lucky to have him buy the team. He knows what they want and he gives it to him. I suspect the go-go dancers will be out in full force tomorrow.

Quote from: Dak Prescott
I just hope when I signal for everyone to be quiet, they will be quiet, knowing how important it is for us to communicate. Hopefully, the fans are working well with us. But when we’re on defense, showing how loud they can be.
This is a longstanding deal, and it's indicative of Pete's point. Football fans know when to cheer and when to STFU. Cowboys fans aren't football fans, though. They want to see offense. I went to a couple of games back during the glory years, and it was really silly. Deion Sanders would line up as receiver, which he was never good at, and the crowd would be deafening. After a false start penalty Troy would land a ball where he was supposed to be. Then they'd punt. At which point that wonderful defense would come out and the fans would all go to get a beer. I always thought Jerry should have paid to run some commercials explaining to Cowboys fans how to cheer. I doubt he gets it either, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: January 05, 2019, 05:59:08 AM »
My predictions....

6. Indianapolis @ 3. Houston - Should be a wild game, but I like Watson to make a crucial play in crunch time. 

5. Seattle @ 4. Dallas - Wilson and Carroll's experience edges out a game Dallas team. Garrett is fired. Jerry hires (or trades for) a name.

5. L.A. @ 4. Baltimore - Both QBs make mistakes, but the Baltimore D is the one that capitalizes.

6. Philadelphia @ 3. Chicago - This will be similar to last year's #6-#3 game. Chicago...more specifically Mitch is a year away and the Philly magic lasts one more week.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Colts vs. Texans
« Reply #2639 on: January 05, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
Luck has this offense humming in the early going.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2640 on: January 05, 2019, 03:01:03 PM »
Can't say I am surprised by what is happening so far.  The Texans D has been trash against good QBs this year, and the Colts came in white hot.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
Colts move on to Kansas City. Should be an exciting game.... hopefully as exciting as their last postseason meeting.

Seahawks and Cowboys are up!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Seahawks vs. Cowboys
« Reply #2642 on: January 05, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
Well that was a nasty injury

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2643 on: January 05, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
Well that was a nasty injury
I missed it but from the boot I gather he broke his leg.
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2644 on: January 05, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
We watched as his ankle snapped into two before our eyes
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2645 on: January 05, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
Luck is an easy guy to root for, glad the Colts won.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2646 on: January 05, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
We might have just seen Janikowski's last kick, and that would be a shame.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2647 on: January 05, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
Are there any special rules for drop kick FG's?    Both national and local announcers are saying Dickson practices drop kick FG's all the time and has gotten pretty good at them.   But they showed footage of him trying a standard FG and that was a disaster. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2648 on: January 05, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
Of course, we screw ourselves over with penalties. Only got to see the last quarter. But Damn...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2649 on: January 05, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
Great NFC game tonight.  Right down to an onside kick.

Though the punter is doing the onside.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2650 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »
My predictions....

6. Indianapolis @ 3. Houston - Should be a wild game, but I like Watson to make a crucial play in crunch time. 

5. Seattle @ 4. Dallas - Wilson and Carroll's experience edges out a game Dallas team. Garrett is fired. Jerry hires (or trades for) a name.

5. L.A. @ 4. Baltimore - Both QBs make mistakes, but the Baltimore D is the one that capitalizes.

6. Philadelphia @ 3. Chicago - This will be similar to last year's #6-#3 game. Chicago...more specifically Mitch is a year away and the Philly magic lasts one more week.
Well, you’re 0-2 so far! :p
:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2651 on: January 05, 2019, 09:31:35 PM »
Great NFC game tonight.  Right down to an onside kick.

Though the punter is doing the onside.

I :facepalm: at that.

But its good it was a good game. Might watch it sometime when they show again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2652 on: January 05, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
Allen Hurn broke his leg 😩 #Cowboys #Seahawks https://twitter.com/manuelgvargas_/status/1081726606983409664/video/1

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: January 05, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »
My predictions....

Well, you’re 0-2 so far! :p
:clap:

Guess I won't be quitting my day job.

Allen Hurn broke his leg 😩 #Cowboys #Seahawks https://twitter.com/manuelgvargas_/status/1081726606983409664/video/1

Welcome to nearly 3 hours ago.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2654 on: January 05, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
Even with a perfect storm of stupid penalties, a great Dallas D and losing a kicker, they still almost pulled it out.   

Now my hope is the Rams.   
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2655 on: January 05, 2019, 10:06:39 PM »
What kind of rinky dink organization goes into a playoff game without a second player who can at least make a passing attempt at an extra point or a kick off a tee?  It's not like they didn't know Janikowski was injured going into the game.  What a joke, but I'm happy with the result.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2656 on: January 05, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
Bad beat for those who had Dallas minus 2 1/2 points. :lol :lol

For all of his success in Seattle, Pete Carroll has one road playoff win (the one at Washington where they were getting clowned before RG3 got hurt).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2657 on: January 05, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
No idea why the Hawks have an old man, over the hill kicker with no back up.  That onside kick was embarrassing!  Victory formation!   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: January 06, 2019, 05:45:15 AM »
Bad beat for those who had Dallas minus 2 1/2 points. :lol :lol

For all of his success in Seattle, Pete Carroll has one road playoff win (the one at Washington where they were getting clowned before RG3 got hurt).

He's also got one @Minnesota, where he was the beneficiary of Blair Walsh's terrible missed kick.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2659 on: January 06, 2019, 06:13:25 AM »
Of course, we screw ourselves over with penalties. Only got to see the last quarter. But Damn...

I’ve seen plenty of games where those 2 3rd-down penalties on Dallas’ last scoring drive were not called. Kinda sucks, but then again they didn’t call the one on Dak’s int when the defender got there a hair early.