Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705837 times)

Offline Rykers

Re: Queensryche
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2011, 02:37:43 AM »
I really hope Geoff Tate's incredibly wacky way of singing "On YouuuTUBE On YouuuTUBE" doesn't stay stuck in my head.

You're doomed man, doooooooooomed. I'm currently considering lobotomy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
Didn't Queensryche and DT do a headlining tour together in 2003? I mean, I know it's all business, but did Geoff not like them then either? Must have been awkward.
Yeah, and their former guitarist Mike Stone was giving John tips on playing guitars, thus we have the inspiration for As I Am. I believe that's how the lyrics came about

Close, but not exactly.  The way I have heard it told, Stone was basically telling John, "You don't know how to bend notes properly; this is how you do it."  From everything I've heard about Stone, he was likely just clowning around, but it wasn't received well--especially since JP had to reteach Whip how a couple of QR tunes went before the tour started because Whip couldn't remember them.  And Stone isn't even in the same class of guitar players as Whip, let alone JP. 

And as Nick said, it didn't inspire the song--it was the inspiration for probably about two lines of the lyrics of the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: July 07, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
How did Michael Wilton get that nickname?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »
:eyebrows:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

That was before he pulled a Michael Jackson on us.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #565 on: July 09, 2011, 02:09:45 AM »
... So I got my first Queensr˙che album the other day. It's "Empire". So far, I like what I hear, nice, solid hard rock with some progressive metal elements in there.

Any other albums I should get, aside from the mandatory Operation: Mindcrime?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #566 on: July 09, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »

Not before you get O:M.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: July 09, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »

Rage For Order and Promised Land.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cookstar

« Reply #568 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
I would get The Warning also after you get the ones that were previously mentioned.  Take Hold of the Flame is probably one of their top 5 songs.  NM156 is pretty awesome too.  The rest of the album isn't bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUrnCLWqmzA

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #569 on: July 09, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Rage For Order and The Warning. Promised Land is where it started to go downhill for me. Some great songs but I still haven't forgiven them for Disconnected.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #570 on: July 09, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
I LOVE Disconnected. :(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: July 09, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Promised Land is an amazing disc.......the title track is pure epic

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #572 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »
... So I got my first Queensr˙che album the other day. It's "Empire". So far, I like what I hear, nice, solid hard rock with some progressive metal elements in there.

Everything from the '83 EP up to and including Promised Land is all rock solid and definitely worth owning (although Promised Land itself has a rather odd and unique sound that may take some getting used to, definitely the biggest "grower" in the QR discography).  After that it starts to get a little patchy, as the albums from '97's Hear in the Now Frontier all the way up to 09's American Soldier all have fantastic tracks on them, but also have ample amounts of filler and inconsistent attempts at experimentation.  As for the new album, Dedicated to Chaos, do yourself a favour:  just download "At the Edge" from I-tunes or wherever you do your online music shopping, and pretend that the rest of the album doesn't exist.   :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:27:20 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #573 on: July 09, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
As for the new album, Dedicated to Chaos, do yourself a favour:  just download "At the Edge" from I-tunes or wherever you do your online music shopping, and pretend that the rest of the album doesn't exist.   :P

:lol ^ This
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:32 AM »
Promised Land always sounded like a very short album to me. Maybe because I skipped some of it- I Am I, PL (I love it now but didn't for a long time), Disconnected. DTC sounds like they listened back to Disconnected and decided to make an album like that song. But worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2011, 08:17:13 AM »
I'VE

GOTTA DO SOMETHING

ABOUT THIS

LOATHSOME

STATE

I'M IN

DISCONNECTED

Great song! :hat :hat :hat

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »
I gotta say that One More Time is one of my absolute favourites from QR. I loved it at first listen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #577 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Promised Land always sounded like a very short album to me. Maybe because I skipped some of it- I Am I, PL (I love it now but didn't for a long time), Disconnected. DTC sounds like they listened back to Disconnected and decided to make an album like that song. But worse.

More like, it sounds like they forgot everything that made Disconnected (or any song of PL) good and attempted to somehow approximate it.  Horrendously. 

Offline dongringo

« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »
It sounds like Geoff Tate and some other people wrote it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:16 PM »
I gotta say that One More Time is one of my absolute favourites from QR. I loved it at first listen.

I agree. A great song. I love Damaged, Out Of Mind, Bridge, title track, Somewhere Else, most of it really.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
It sounds like Geoff Tate wrote it.

Fixed.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
It sounds like Geoff Tate and some other people wrote it.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Read the song credits.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »

Agree Zydar, one of my all time fav Queensryche songs and the best song on PL IMO.

Finally, I just picked up the special edition of DTC yesterday!!!  I haven't listened to it, but I'm keen and will do a bit of a review here.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2011, 06:44:03 PM »
Wolfking, make sure you have a barfbag nearby when you are listening to DTC, lol.  But joking aside, I would be interested reading a review from you

Offline dongringo

« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
 :rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Wolfking, make sure you have a barfbag nearby when you are listening to DTC, lol.  But joking aside, I would be interested reading a review from you

:lol Can't wait to lsten.  I will listen for the first time tonight.  I'm gonna go in with no expectations and hopefully not comparing it to their older material too much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #586 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Almost 24 hours and no response.  I'm guessing he got as far as track #3 and just keeled over and died.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #587 on: July 11, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »
Almost 24 hours and no response.  I'm guessing he got as far as track #3 and just keeled over and died.

:rollin
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
I've been a QR fan since Empire, which is 20 years now.  I even have a poster of the Promised Land cover above the staircase in my apartment, just to show you how much I loved this band.  And I've been backstage to meet them twice.  I listened to DTC special edition once and that's it.  I went back and listened to "At the Edge" a few times after that and "Big Noize" maybe a dozen times or so. The CD is now on my shelf and will probably never be touched again.  To me, the lyrics are far and away the worst part of the album.  I personally don't need heaviness in my music.  I can take lightness, as long as it has some mood to it.  I mean, Promised Land isn't all that heavy aside from a track or two.  But DTC just had nothing there that grabbed me aside from "Big Noize."  Very disappointing.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #589 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
Wasn't something to be released on the 28th of June? Chaos somethingorother?

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #590 on: July 11, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
Some facts about first week album sales to compare D2C's meager 8,000 units and chart position of 70:

Seems like there is a lot of discussion about how much better other bands have done than QR with DTC, but without specific numbers. Here are some facts about recent releases, I've included a variety of bands in the prog metal/metal/rock world for comparison:

Iron Maiden "The Final Frontier" (2010):  63,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Dream Theater "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" (2009): 40,285 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 6.

Symphony X "Iconoclast" (2011): 7300 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 76.

Motley Crue "Saints of Los Angeles" (2008): 99,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 4.

Ratt "Infestation" (2010): 14,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 30.

Def Leppard "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" (2008): 55,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 5.

Megadeth "Endgame" (2010): 45,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 9.

Opeth "Watershed" 2008: no sales numbers, charted at # 23

I could go...but the bottom line is this shows how far Queensryche have sunk. They outsold a few of the bands on this list in 1990 - 1994. To only move 8K copies, 1/2 of what Ratt did last year is truly pathetic.

But as Scott said, they only put out new records to promote the tour. How's that going? Not too well, many of these bands are still in the arena's or large theaters while Queensryche plays hole in the wall venues these days.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #591 on: July 11, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
Overall that is really not that surprising, though, considering the current state of Queensryche.  A lot of 80's metal bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Ratt have all benefited from a strong resurgence in classic metal that occurred over the past decade (a resurgence QR could have turned to their advantage if they were smart), and Motley Crue had a hugely successful reunion back around '04.  I think we all know why Dream Theater is doing better then Queensryche these days.  Opeth got #23 on the charts, while according to Wikipedia "(Dedicated to Chaos) debuted at #70 on the Billboard 200, the lowest charting full-length album for the band in its history. The band's last album, American Soldier, peaked at #25 on the Billboard 200", so Opeth clearly outsold them as well.  The only part of this that is really shocking is that they sold less than 1000 more then Symphony X, a very underground and still relatively unknown metal band.  When a band like Queensryche is selling records in those numbers, that is not a good sign.....

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #592 on: July 11, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
Heheh, I found this while searching for DTC chart position and sales numbers and found it amusing:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159083

So after Geoff Tate made all that noise about Queensryche not really being a metal band, bla, bla, bla; Scott Rock is now trying to convince us that DTC is a metal record!  :facepalm:  Seriously, the severity to which these guys are increasingly detached from reality is starting to border on the psychotic.

Offline elyster

« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
I just noticed they added a new date for a show in my home town.  Turns out they are playing the same small club they played for The Warning tour.

Looks like they've come full circle.  Very sad.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
I just noticed they added a new date for a show in my home town.  Turns out they are playing the same small club they played for The Warning tour.

Looks like they've come full circle.  Very sad.

That tends to happen when you shit in the hand that feeds you.