Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704712 times)

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #6125 on: March 04, 2023, 07:28:34 PM »

Awesome. I may have to catch one of these shows.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6126 on: March 06, 2023, 08:12:17 AM »
The setlist is indeed accurate, and it's really a great one. Pretty happy the band finally extended things out to 18 songs and 90+ minutes. A huge focus on the new material, and having "Deliverance" played for the first time since...February 14, 1987, is an absolute monster of a setlist addition. Huge thumbs up to Queensryche for finally showcasing who they NOW are as a band, and putting in a couple of songs for the hardcores to also appreciate. Really outstanding.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6127 on: March 06, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Decent selection of tunes from The Warning.  Kind of surprised they didn't pull anything from RFO, and only 3 songs from Mindcrime!  Still, that's a solid set list and glad to see them mixing it up!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6128 on: March 06, 2023, 01:16:48 PM »
I went through YouTube on lunch, I just saw and listened to "Roads to Madness" from Orlando. What I really want to hear/see is "Deliverance."

Looking forward to the show. That setlist...is demanding, vocally.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6129 on: March 13, 2023, 11:30:07 AM »
Well, turns out that I can't make QR's show this week, but if the latest news is any indication, that may be a moot point.

QR has had to cancel three straight shows due to La Torre losing his voice, according to Blabbermouth. Hope he gets better soon. Bands like QR can't afford to outright cancel shows these days. Hope he gets healthy and the rest of the band and crew stays healthy as well.

A shame. It was a great setlist so far.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6130 on: March 13, 2023, 01:01:19 PM »
I was watching a video of a recent performance and he ran off and took a big hit from a vape device and then ran back out to sing. Wondering if smoking/vaping is taking a toll.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6131 on: March 13, 2023, 01:18:47 PM »
I was watching a video of a recent performance and he ran off and took a big hit from a vape device and then ran back out to sing. Wondering if smoking/vaping is taking a toll.

Well, he did state last month he was a month without a cig. So he was working on quitting. This time of year, easily can pick up a cold. Whatever it is, hope he gets healthy soon for those going to see them.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #6132 on: March 13, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
Well, turns out that I can't make QR's show this week, but if the latest news is any indication, that may be a moot point.

QR has had to cancel three straight shows due to La Torre losing his voice, according to Blabbermouth. Hope he gets better soon. Bands like QR can't afford to outright cancel shows these days. Hope he gets healthy and the rest of the band and crew stays healthy as well.

A shame. It was a great setlist so far.

Their social media team posted that they will be back in action tomorrow and that the cancelled dates will be rescheduled. Hopefully he's back in action and close to 100%!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #6133 on: March 17, 2023, 03:35:58 PM »

Looks like they dropped three songs on the last three gigs...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6134 on: March 17, 2023, 04:07:33 PM »
Yeah. To be expected when the singer is still recovering from whatever it was.

A bummer though. I had to miss the local show. Just too busy and I absolutely hate the venue. I won't say my days seeing QR are over. But I won't travel for them any longer like I used to, and if they continue to play this one particular venue in town, it's an easy pass.

But I wish them health and getting back to that initial setlist.

re: Tate. So I found this clip from three weeks ago when looking for footage for QR from last night. Very...awkward angle, but Tate's still going for Queen of the Reich. It's not "perfect" by any means (confirmation he's using falsetto, not his head voice like back in the day), but dude's 64 and fucking going for it, with a damn camera right in his face. Respect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYCuKo0ABaQ

And dude who was filming, personally, that's not cool. That's too close. No interest in how yellow a singer's teeth are. :lol

Offline TheWB

« Reply #6135 on: March 23, 2023, 02:47:31 AM »
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.
Just got home from the QR show at the Neptune Theater in Seattle. I’d seen them with Todd before opening for the Scorpions on their 50th anniversary tour but never as the headliner. They were great. The band was on fire and Todd sounded really good, even on the Empire and Mindcrime stuff that he sometimes doesn’t sound quite right on. Whatever illness knocked him out in TX has passed. Roads to Madness was back in as the closer so it was a 16 song set, the other song in the encore was Deliverance. All of the newer material sounded great live, even Forest, which I liked better live than I did on the record. 7 Todd era songs out of 16 total was a refreshing change. Less nostalgia and more new songs is the way to go as far as I’m concerned. The crowd reaction to the newer material was great as well. Better than I expected actually. When Todd announced that we were going to hear a lot from the last ten years it got a big cheer.
Opening band Trauma was excellent and so was Marty Friedman and his band. His drummer is quite the showman. All in all a great night that exceeded my expectations. Don’t miss this tour if it’s coming your way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6136 on: March 28, 2023, 08:38:44 AM »
Setlist looks like it's down to 16 songs permanently though now. It was 18 until he got ill and lost his voice.

Glad he's feeling and sounding better. I was in Seattle when QR was there. Friends who were in attendance said he could hit the high stuff, but struggled with mid-range. So who knows? But the set is back to just 16 tunes, so obviously they felt it wise to keep it on the short side moving forward.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6137 on: April 12, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
Matt Barlow joins Queensryche to perform "Queen of the Reich" last night in Baltimore:

https://youtu.be/ZyOEFzyzPso?t=275

Pretty damn cool. That high end hitting the chorus. Song probably needs to be down a half-step for him, but that voice doing the high stuff.  :hefdaddy

Cool treat for those in Maryland last night.

:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6138 on: April 12, 2023, 05:34:59 PM »
Matt Barlow joins Queensryche to perform "Queen of the Reich" last night in Baltimore:

https://youtu.be/ZyOEFzyzPso?t=275

Pretty damn cool. That high end hitting the chorus. Song probably needs to be down a half-step for him, but that voice doing the high stuff.  :hefdaddy

Cool treat for those in Maryland last night.

:metal

Shouldn't Queensryche have been in quotes above instead of Queen of the Reich? :P

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6139 on: April 12, 2023, 08:23:58 PM »
I thought it was awesome.   :metal :metal :metal   High notes gallore! 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6140 on: April 13, 2023, 01:26:04 AM »
That's a great guest to have come out and suprise the audience. Nice performance as well.  :tup

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6141 on: April 14, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »
great high note at the start by Matt

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6142 on: April 15, 2023, 02:55:44 PM »
I've been listening to The Warning a lot this week and using the original running order, which I think makes it better.  The title track is merely solid and works a lot better in the 8th spot rather than the 1st, and the album starting with as NM 156 instead means it hits the ground running.  And, miracles of all miracles, Roads to Madness is finally starting to land pretty well for me.  :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6143 on: April 15, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
I've been listening to The Warning a lot this week and using the original running order, which I think makes it better.  The title track is merely solid and works a lot better in the 8th spot rather than the 1st, and the album starting with as NM 156 instead means it hits the ground running.  And, miracles of all miracles, Roads to Madness is finally starting to land pretty well for me.  :metal :metal

Warning is a GREAT album, and Roads To Madness is easily my favorite Queensryche song.
I've never bothered to reorder it. Honestly, I can't see the album having any greater value to me than it already does, and after 40 years, I'm too used to the order as it is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6144 on: April 15, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »

Warning is a GREAT album, and Roads To Madness is easily my favorite Queensryche song.
I've never bothered to reorder it. Honestly, I can't see the album having any greater value to me than it already does, and after 40 years, I'm too used to the order as it is.

I get that, but even though I have had it since the mid 90s, it has never been an album I listened to with any regularity until the last few years, so the running order of the official release is not as ingrained in my head, so making the switch was easy for me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6145 on: April 17, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »

The original order makes all the difference in the world. The flow of that record the way the band intended is absolutely stunning and elevates the whole album. And then the theme of the record comes to life too, with the circular presentation (essentially, the world's issues continually repeat themselves, just as Roads to Madness ends, NM 156 picks back up starting on the same note Roads ends on).

Old fogeys like Tim - I understand. I do. You live with something so long, it's hard to really change it. Typically, being an old fogey myself, I would agree. But this is one case where it makes all the sense in the world, and man, The Warning (in the original order) vaulted to my second favorite QR record after Mindcrime. Just killer. Funny how a track order can do that.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6146 on: April 17, 2023, 11:07:30 AM »
What's the original running order of The Warning?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6147 on: April 17, 2023, 01:26:49 PM »

NM 156
En Force
No Sanctuary
Deliverance
Take Hold of the Flame
Before the Storm
Child of Fire
Warning
Roads to Madness

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6148 on: April 17, 2023, 01:36:54 PM »

The original order makes all the difference in the world. The flow of that record the way the band intended is absolutely stunning and elevates the whole album. And then the theme of the record comes to life too, with the circular presentation (essentially, the world's issues continually repeat themselves, just as Roads to Madness ends, NM 156 picks back up starting on the same note Roads ends on).

Very nice!  For me, the original running order means my two favorite songs from it are tracks 1 and 2, and with Roads to Madness finally hitting me in that sweet spot, that means the album both starts and ends very strong.  A strong start and finish are both often in the recipe for making a great record.  :hat :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6149 on: April 17, 2023, 04:04:01 PM »

NM 156
En Force
No Sanctuary
Deliverance
Take Hold of the Flame
Before the Storm
Child of Fire
Warning
Roads to Madness

I don't get how swapping a couple of songs around would make such a difference in the enjoyment of an album.  I know Kev explained but just seems interesting to me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6150 on: April 17, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »

NM 156
En Force
No Sanctuary
Deliverance
Take Hold of the Flame
Before the Storm
Child of Fire
Warning
Roads to Madness

I don't get how swapping a couple of songs around would make such a difference in the enjoyment of an album.  I know Kev explained but just seems interesting to me.

More and more, the music industry is getting back into the mindset of an album as simply a collection of songs (if they do “albums” at all anymore). But anyone who has ever made a mixtape/CD knows that there is a “flow” to an album if it’s done right. Emotional “tension and release”. It’s like a symphony or a good film. Interrupting the intended flow of an album can greatly disrupt its emotional impact.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6151 on: April 17, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »

NM 156
En Force
No Sanctuary
Deliverance
Take Hold of the Flame
Before the Storm
Child of Fire
Warning
Roads to Madness

When you fall in love with an album the sequence becomes a part of it, its not all about the songs themselves but the way the end of a song sets you up with the beginning of the next. Moving a few songs around changes the overall experience of that album. We didn't have a shuffle option back in those days, only side A and B or 1 and 2, so the song order we got used to represented it. I personally would be prepared for air drums of a certain song as the last one was ending. If that makes any sense.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6152 on: April 17, 2023, 06:02:54 PM »
I totally get all that, but the order of albums is what's given to us, which you alluded to Tom.  Unless we go out of our way to make it different, we don't know any different.  I guess this one is a little different plus Kev not really liking the album in the first place.

What's the exact story behind the tracklist then?  Was there ever a release with the different tracklist?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6153 on: April 17, 2023, 06:04:47 PM »
Wait, I never said I didn't like the album in the first place.  I always liked it.  I just like it a bit more now with the tweaked running order.  Yeah, it is cheating, but I can listen to the songs in any order I want.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6154 on: April 17, 2023, 06:05:39 PM »
The band intended the tracklist as the one Brian posted. To me, that outs the three weakest songs all in a row.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6155 on: April 17, 2023, 06:55:20 PM »
Wait, I never said I didn't like the album in the first place.  I always liked it.  I just like it a bit more now with the tweaked running order.  Yeah, it is cheating, but I can listen to the songs in any order I want.  :biggrin:

Ah sorry mate.  That makes it more interesting to me then.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6156 on: April 17, 2023, 06:56:00 PM »
The band intended the tracklist as the one Brian posted. To me, that outs the three weakest songs all in a row.

Why didn't that stick then?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6157 on: April 17, 2023, 07:30:03 PM »

Why didn't that stick then?

Record company interference.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6158 on: April 17, 2023, 07:52:30 PM »
I've never heard any other version besides the cd that I bought.  The Warning to start things off is what I know, but NM156 would be an amazing opener.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6159 on: April 17, 2023, 07:55:57 PM »
I've never heard any other version besides the cd that I bought.  The Warning to start things off is what I know, but NM156 would be an amazing opener.

NM156 would be amazing in any spot on the album.