Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705778 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5810 on: October 10, 2022, 12:41:58 AM »
New video for Hold On..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygevLfVaaR8

This is one song from the album I'm having a little more trouble warming up to...I guess it's because it relatively less catchy overall, I'm not sure. Parts of it are quite nice, but something in the melodies/chords doesn't resolve in a super-satisfying way. It's kind of cool sounding, though. And the bass and drums are great.

BTW, after further listens I can say I'm quite enjoying the album overall. Even if it's not particularly complex, I find it gets better the more time I spend with it. Lost in Sorrow and Behind the Walls my current favorite tunes.

Yeah Forest and Hold On are my least liked on the album.  Why with songs such as Lost In Sorrow and Chapters they would release Hold On as a single baffles me but from the YT comments seems there's plenty love for it so clearly am in the minority?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 04:02:03 PM by WardySI »

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #5811 on: October 10, 2022, 12:35:04 PM »
Just finished my first listen.  Not sure what to think.  It's not fair to judge on one listen with an album like this.  There was cool stuff and some stuff that made me drift.  The production is great though.

This is where I am. The CD finally arrived from my Century Media pre-order and I am just now getting around to finishing my first listen.

Immediate first impression is that I like The Verdict better. But there seems to be enough here to dig into to give it some repeated listens and see what sticks.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5812 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »
After 4-5 listens it's definitely been a fun ride. As mentioned by many the production is excellent and I'm picking new subtleties and nuances with each listen. I feel like Michael has really stepped his game up with his guitar playing (I don't know how much Parker contributed before but I liked that duo). Casey's drumming is really good.

My main problem that has been consistent in the TLT era are some of the melodies/choruses or lack of. Wolfking talked about drifting and that's the same feeling I get - like a song is setup really well for a big or catchy chorus then it's flat or it goes in a totally weird direction. That's one area I wish Todd would get some help on. Not sure if that's a band/Zeuss problem or what.

Overall I really enjoy the album and think it will be in my top 10 for the year.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #5813 on: October 10, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
My main problem that has been consistent in the TLT era are some of the melodies/choruses or lack of. Wolfking talked about drifting and that's the same feeling I get - like a song is setup really well for a big or catchy chorus then it's flat or it goes in a totally weird direction. That's one area I wish Todd would get some help on. Not sure if that's a band/Zeuss problem or what.

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I feel there's a lack of "hook" to the choruses. Not that every chorus has to be a big singalong chorus, but the number of memorable ones seem few and far between.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5814 on: October 10, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I feel there's a lack of "hook" to the choruses. Not that every chorus has to be a big singalong chorus, but the number of memorable ones seem few and far between.

I think I can get on board with this. Probably why I really enjoy the albums while listening, yet fail to really recall much afterward.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5815 on: October 10, 2022, 02:47:47 PM »

There were times after the chorus I was thinking, 'where's the chorus, wait, was that it?'
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5816 on: October 11, 2022, 06:05:22 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how differently we all hear, connect to and absorb music. So many people mentioning the lack of hooks and choruses on this album and yet I have all of them stuck in my head on nonstop repeat. Could be because I've heard it 6 times now 😀.

Meanwhile, Maiden's last album that so many people loved is just one giant repetitive slog for me.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #5817 on: October 11, 2022, 07:21:28 AM »
One listen in - really solid album, and while some have said it feels like a lot of different ideas thrown at the wall, for me it feels much more consistent than The Verdict. Condition Human is still my top pick for Todd era Queensryche.

Can't wait to hear them play none of these songs live! Well, maybe one track if we're lucky. I'll know on Thursday when I see them open for Judas Priest!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5818 on: October 11, 2022, 08:58:44 AM »
re: What you all are saying about hooks in the choruses...

>>>This is something that I've heard repeatedly from people since the first TLT-fronted record. I agree completely.

re: Playing new stuff on tour

>>>QR should use the Priest tour to showcase its material with Todd. They have four albums with him and they are an opening act, so fucking experiment and go for it. Open with Queen of the Reich, play seven songs from the La Torre era that fit the Priest crowd, then close with Eyes of a Stranger and Take Hold of the Flame. 10 songs, 60 minutes (or thereabouts, assuming they get an hour), and you use the set to really see where your newer material sits with an audience of old school metalheads. They won't though - they never do. They've become a nostalgia act for the most part. Which I understand to a degree, but it's a huge disappointment. If other bands in the same ballpark (Fates Warning, Dream Theater) can go out and play their new material, why can't Queensryche?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5819 on: October 11, 2022, 09:13:45 AM »
>>>QR should use the Priest tour to showcase its material with Todd. They have four albums with him and they are an opening act, so fucking experiment and go for it. Open with Queen of the Reich, play seven songs from the La Torre era that fit the Priest crowd, then close with Eyes of a Stranger and Take Hold of the Flame. 10 songs, 60 minutes (or thereabouts, assuming they get an hour), and you use the set to really see where your newer material sits with an audience of old school metalheads. They won't though - they never do. They've become a nostalgia act for the most part. Which I understand to a degree, but it's a huge disappointment. If other bands in the same ballpark (Fates Warning, Dream Theater) can go out and play their new material, why can't Queensryche?

I looked up their set from the spring tour with Priest and it was 4 songs from the Warning, 3 from RFO, 3 from Mindcrime, one from the EP (QoTR) and one from Empire (Empire).  I'm guessing we'll see the same for the fall tour, maybe one of the heavier singles from the new album since it just came out. 

Since I haven't seen them since 2013, it will give me a chance to maybe hear NM156, Screaming in Digital and the Mindcrime title track with Todd, if those stay in the set.  Other than that, it's still the same old songs that they've been rotating in and out for 10 years, where they choose to satisfy the older metalheads in the crowd, rather than promoting who they are now.

I did see Todd's interview with Brave Words, where he says that they plan to go on a headlining tour in early 2023, so that's when we'll probably see another set with more new material. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5820 on: October 11, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
My first impression of the new album is really good after just one spin.  Love the Billy Idol cover of Rebel Yell at the end.  Tastefully done with their own little hooks in all the right places.  Very cool.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5821 on: October 11, 2022, 12:25:39 PM »
The thing that stands out the most to me from the new songs I've heard so far is that I can't tell just from listening that Mike Stone plays on them.  And that's a good thing.  I mean, as far as skill and ability to play the songs, I've never had a problem with him at all.  What I have had a problem with in the past is his guitar tone.  FAR to shrill and jarring.  That seems to be reined in and is blending more with Wilton's and the band's more "classic" tone. 

So far, I've really enjoyed the LaTorre albums.  None are going to make my top 3 of the classic era.  But each has felt like it was better than anything post-HITNF, which is a really good thing. 

As far as what they are playing and are likely to play on tour, I'll just say that it's sad, and I'm not going to beat a dead horse.  There is plenty of room to compromise and find a way to play the old, nostalgic material that draws the old-school fans to the shows AND to represent the new material.  They always choose not to and to instead lean heavily on the nostalgia.  It is what it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #5822 on: October 11, 2022, 02:18:23 PM »
The thing that stands out the most to me from the new songs I've heard so far is that I can't tell just from listening that Mike Stone plays on them.  And that's a good thing.  I mean, as far as skill and ability to play the songs, I've never had a problem with him at all.  What I have had a problem with in the past is his guitar tone.  FAR to shrill and jarring.  That seems to be reined in and is blending more with Wilton's and the band's more "classic" tone. 

So far, I've really enjoyed the LaTorre albums.  None are going to make my top 3 of the classic era.  But each has felt like it was better than anything post-HITNF, which is a really good thing. 

As far as what they are playing and are likely to play on tour, I'll just say that it's sad, and I'm not going to beat a dead horse.  There is plenty of room to compromise and find a way to play the old, nostalgic material that draws the old-school fans to the shows AND to represent the new material.  They always choose not to and to instead lean heavily on the nostalgia.  It is what it is.

I've been wondering what your thoughts were.

To me it's a combo of RFO and Empire. The 3rd and 4th full spins really start to reveal the melodies. I hope you get a chance to sink your teeth into it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5823 on: October 11, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
Yeah, I got the vibes from those albums too.  It seems like they've been doing a pretty good job of trying to keep the material as fresh as possible, but sprinkling in those subtle reminders of the glory days.  As a veteran fan, I appreciate them doing that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5824 on: October 11, 2022, 03:32:05 PM »
Not ready to chime in on the new album yet.  I will say on initial listens, it seems a little more progressive and ambitious than the previous few albums.  Less like they’re trying to remake classic era Queensryche and more like they’re doing something a bit different.  I thought that when I first heard In Extremis, that it actually didn’t sound like Queensr˙che but was still a cool song in its own right.  The others are taking a while to sink in so will wait before giving my verdict (no pun intended).

On the subject of TLT, I saw him when they toured the self-titled album and my jaw was on the floor.  He sang those crazy Tate songs from the very early records absolutely note perfect.  If I shut my eyes I could’ve been listening to Tate in his prime.  One of the best vocal performances I’ve ever seen live, maybe even THE best.  His voice sounds a little thinner these days and this again sounds like the first album where he isn’t doing a Geoff Tate impersonation and I like that.  I’m just not sure how strong the songs are yet.  The self-titled album is probably still my favourite of the TLT era, if only the production wasn’t horrible and headache inducing.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #5825 on: October 11, 2022, 04:55:26 PM »
Heard an interview with Todd. He said when they tour next spring they will be playing 5 or so songs from the new album and focusing on the last 4 albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5826 on: October 11, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »
Heard an interview with Todd. He said when they tour next spring they will be playing 5 or so songs from the new album and focusing on the last 4 albums.

Now this would get me to consider going. I have zero interest in them playing anything old other than a few tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5827 on: October 11, 2022, 05:03:59 PM »

About time really.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5828 on: October 11, 2022, 05:32:56 PM »
sadly  I dont find this new cd even interesting,  all the songs remind me of old Malice, TNT, Accept. etc.
I cant put my finger on it but it also feels cheezy to me, idk.. I cant see this as "fresh" ,in my opinion a CD like Firepower by JP was somehow Fresh and not cheezy to my ears I LOVED IT... the new Papa Roach to many is polarizing but I find it very very cool and unique. I love how they change and do cool things
I for some reason always feel that this new QR is always just repackaging a sound they think their fans want instead of  something new and authentic, I guess its for new listeners, younger teenagers in some ways to enjoy as they missed the band that made the name....IDK,...just my humble opinions.. I get that its got some sizzle and I do think production is nice, but the songs just dont grab me or want to listen to over and over...in some ways the QR name again my opinion forces that comparo where without the name id still not like much but would not have to compare it to the old QR

just my opinion and my ears opinion : )

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:47:53 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5829 on: October 11, 2022, 08:23:01 PM »

To me it's a combo of RFO and Empire. The 3rd and 4th full spins really start to reveal the melodies. I hope you get a chance to sink your teeth into it.

Yeah, I can see that.  Out of the Black gives me Mindcrime vibes as well (IDBIL and BTS come to mind).  I would say for the whole thing, I definitely get the vibe of "classic QR mixed with modern playing/production" (a little Warning here, a little Rage there...), as the band described it.  Hard to say right now where I would rank it, but I can say I generally like what I am hearing and say it stands up to the other Todd-era albums.  To me, it may be the most consistent of the bunch.  My early take is that I definitely like it better than the last one (and I liked that one okay).  Solid effort, and may be my favorite of Stone's playing (assuming he is actually on the album). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5830 on: October 12, 2022, 07:19:56 AM »

Yeah, I can see that.  Out of the Black gives me Mindcrime vibes as well (IDBIL and BTS come to mind).  I would say for the whole thing, I definitely get the vibe of "classic QR mixed with modern playing/production" (a little Warning here, a little Rage there...), as the band described it.  Hard to say right now where I would rank it, but I can say I generally like what I am hearing and say it stands up to the other Todd-era albums.  To me, it may be the most consistent of the bunch.  My early take is that I definitely like it better than the last one (and I liked that one okay).  Solid effort, and may be my favorite of Stone's playing (assuming he is actually on the album).

I'll have to check out the interviews, but I think Michael did a majority of the guitar work and Stone came in and laid down solos only.

And Casey responded on the QR facebook yesterday that he helped write two songs which is really cool as well.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5831 on: October 12, 2022, 07:31:33 AM »
Yes, Casey co-wrote Forest and Hold On, with Eddie/Michael/Todd. Interesting that the 2 most RFO-ish songs on the album were composed by Eddie only, Nocturnal Light and Realms.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5832 on: October 12, 2022, 08:28:47 AM »
Yes, Casey co-wrote Forest and Hold On, with Eddie/Michael/Todd. Interesting that the 2 most RFO-ish songs on the album were composed by Eddie only, Nocturnal Light and Realms.

Can you post the complete writing credits for all the songs? I don't have the CD itself. Thank you!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5833 on: October 12, 2022, 08:31:19 AM »
I just want to chime in and say that the Rebel Yell cover is NOT doing it for me.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5834 on: October 12, 2022, 08:37:30 AM »
I just want to chime in and say that the Rebel Yell cover is NOT doing it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNwKelSZNBE

This is the Rebel Yell cover that I love the most.  Steel Panther and Billy Ray Cyrus, who rocks the hell out of the song!  I do like QR's version though - it's a fun cover.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5835 on: October 12, 2022, 08:53:18 AM »

Can you post the complete writing credits for all the songs? I don't have the CD itself. Thank you!

According to Spotify:

1. Eddie/Michael/Todd
2. E/M
3. M/T
4. M/T
5. M/T
6. E
7. E/M/T
8. Casey/E/M/T
9. E
10. C/E/M/T
11. M/T

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5836 on: October 12, 2022, 10:04:55 AM »
Thanks for posting.

Nice to see such a full band effort on this.

Cool to see Eddie get the full credit on Realms. I thought that was one of the better ones on here.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5837 on: October 12, 2022, 02:09:40 PM »
Over the last couple days, I've done a run-through of the four La Torre-fronted records, for the fun of it...

Condition Human probably edges it out as my favorite. It has enough of that cool, vintage Queensryche "weirdness"  - mixed in with the rediscovered metal attitude - to make it the most engaging and interesting listen out of the four. The Verdict is the one that stuck with me the least. Can't quite put my finger on it...it's pretty good, but the songs generally don't jump out. The S/T is very good, but it feels they could've spent a little more time on it (although I understand they wanted to get something out relatively quickly). It's not just that the album is short...sometimes the songs themselves feel like they could have been fleshed out more.

Early to figure out exactly where DNA stands...as of now, I'd say second favorite, but I'm enjoying it a ton, so who knows...it might climb further up. It has my favorite production of the four, and there's a great balance of different facets of the QR sound. Nothing groundbreaking, of course, but I feel the songwriting hit the right spots.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5838 on: October 12, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »
Over the last couple days, I've done a run-through of the four La Torre-fronted records, for the fun of it...

I am planning on doing the same.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5839 on: October 12, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5840 on: October 12, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5841 on: October 12, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »
Thanks for posting.

Nice to see such a full band effort on this.

Cool to see Eddie get the full credit on Realms. I thought that was one of the better ones on here.

:tup
The 2 Eddie's songs are among the best on the album, for sure.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #5842 on: October 13, 2022, 03:41:17 AM »
Thus far I'm ranking this easily the best TLT-era Queensryche album.

I think there's better individual songs on prior albums but this is the first of his era that I feel is strong from start-to-finish, though I can do without the Rebel Yell cover.

I'd just love it if they could talk DeGarmo into a production role to just iron out some of the clumsy lyrics that persist since Tate left (let's just pretend D2C never happened) and sprinkle a bit of magic over some of the guitar arrangements. He doesn't have to do anything more than that, but it wouldn't go wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5843 on: October 13, 2022, 04:02:30 AM »
Is Rebell yell a bonus track or legitimately a part of the album? I ended every listen with Tormentor.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5844 on: October 13, 2022, 04:12:34 AM »
Is Rebell yell a bonus track or legitimately a part of the album? I ended every listen with Tormentor.  ;D

They covered a Billy Idol song and a W.A.S.P. song?   ;D