Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705853 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5775 on: October 06, 2022, 02:58:15 PM »
Tim,

Yeah. I agree with that. I wasn't a fan of Forest AT ALL when it was released, and think that is probably the weakest song on there. There's another too...I can't remember, that really just seemed weird to me, but not in a good way.

But the record absolutely SOUNDS good. Zeuss did a good job, IMO.

The Zeus comment is pretty exciting. Felt like this could have been a record where they would go Alter Bridge and not evolve much on the production side. Stoked for tomorrow!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5776 on: October 06, 2022, 08:40:36 PM »
Amazon delivered the new album...TODAY!!!!

Wow, lucky you. Mine is supposed to ship between the 13th and 26th.

I may see if they have it in my local record store, then cancel my Amazon order.

Glad to hear you are so impressed after your first listen.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5777 on: October 07, 2022, 07:08:25 AM »
Liking a lot the new album! The record and mix indeed sound awesome (why Maiden albums can't sound like this?!) and all the instrumentation is really great. From the singles, I agree Forest didn't grow much on me and maybe it's the weakest song here, but it's not bad. I'm happy that they brought back, besides the twin solos, those 2 different guitar solos that I was missing from the previous La Torre albums. And Tormentum is the immediate stand out track, no doubt! Rebel Yell is a great song, but, it's just another cool cover already done again and again.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline emtee

« Reply #5778 on: October 07, 2022, 07:12:25 AM »
My sleep schedule has been screwed for some time and exacerbated by the hurricane. I awoke at 1:51 this morning and couldn't go to sleep so I got up and checked my Amazon library. DNA was there. I grabbed the headphones and sat in the darkness listening.

Some really strong songs on this and then some that may take more spins to sink in. Very enjoyable album with every performance strong. The sonic values are excellent.

Way too early to say but I feel like this may be the best album for me since Empire. There will be many more spins. Tormentum didn't jump up and grab me like it did with Samsara though. And I truly enjoy Forest where others don't.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5779 on: October 07, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »
That Billy Idol cover is smoking!  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5780 on: October 07, 2022, 08:02:49 AM »
After one spin...

Good first impression, for sure. As has been noted here, the album sounds great.

One early standout for me was Lost in Sorrow - one of the most immediate tracks, for sure, it has the melodies that struck me the most on first listen. Love the guitars in the verses...very simple, but so effective...same for Grillo's drumming.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5781 on: October 07, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
Just finished my second listen. Think some combo of realms, tormentum and maybe another (out of the black? Nocturnal lights?) are my favorites.

Hold On sounds like they wrote a song in the vein of the empire album but something is off with the guitars during the chorus. For my guitar players is it a minor chord or something?

Either way, really enjoying it. IMO the best album in the TLT era and not a band that is phoning it in

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5782 on: October 07, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
The chorus of Out of the Black is really cool, I hope they play that one live.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #5783 on: October 07, 2022, 02:46:50 PM »
Count me among those who are super impressed with Digital Noise Alliance. I think this is far and away the best thing they've done with Todd.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5784 on: October 07, 2022, 05:22:58 PM »
Count me among those who are super impressed with Digital Noise Alliance. I think this is far and away the best thing they've done with Todd.

+1 :metal

Online The Realm

« Reply #5785 on: October 07, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
After a couple of listens, I agree that the production on the instruments is good and the songs are also strong but sorry, I just really do not like Todd's voice. I just can't warm to it, in some ways (sorry to bring it up) it is similar to how I feel about Blaze in Maiden. I am just not sure if Todd has lots of effects or compression or is it autotune or something going on, his voice just doesn't have any warmth or depth. Just something doesn't work for me. I will keep listening though.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #5786 on: October 07, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
Really dug the album on first listen, but Forest is a terrible song! I think Todd sounds awful on it.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5787 on: October 08, 2022, 07:11:32 AM »
I've been enjoying the new album all day, there's some really nice tracks here.

It got me thinking, now that we have four albums with Todd La Torre. If you were to make a single CD of the best songs off these four albums, what would your tracklisting be?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5788 on: October 08, 2022, 08:17:13 AM »
After a couple of listens, I agree that the production on the instruments is good and the songs are also strong but sorry, I just really do not like Todd's voice. I just can't warm to it, in some ways (sorry to bring it up) it is similar to how I feel about Blaze in Maiden. I am just not sure if Todd has lots of effects or compression or is it autotune or something going on, his voice just doesn't have any warmth or depth. Just something doesn't work for me. I will keep listening though.

Same here. I love that Todd has rejuvenated the band, but ya, not a fan of his voice either and I agree about the warmth and the depth comment, it just isn’t there.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5789 on: October 08, 2022, 09:11:59 AM »
This is only happening because of the comparison to Tate. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, but I think Todd would sound so perfect fronting Metal Church. he even did a duet with Mike Howe on a Metal Church song before Mike died. That cut was so killer!

Trying to follow up Mike Howe would be no contest. But because he’s following up Tate in Queensrÿche, everybody has to make a comparison instead of just taking him on his own merits.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:24:58 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5790 on: October 08, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
Maybe he is singing with Metal Church.

They’re working on a new album with a yet unnamed singer. I saw an article recently where Kirk said he couldn’t name him just yet.

I doubt it’s Todd though.

Maybe Todd Michael Hall. That would be good too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5791 on: October 08, 2022, 09:25:43 AM »

They’re working on a new album with a yet unnamed singer. I saw an article recently where Kirk said he couldn’t name him just yet.

I subscribed to the Metal Church page and I haven’t heard a thing! Where is the source that they’re working on a new album?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5792 on: October 08, 2022, 12:25:44 PM »
This is only happening because of the comparison to Tate. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, but I think Todd would sound so perfect fronting Metal Church. he even did a duet with Mike Howe on a Metal Church song before Mike died. That cut was so killer!

Trying to follow up Mike Howe would be no contest. But because he’s following up Tate in Queensrÿche, everybody has to make a comparison instead of just taking him on his own merits.

Personally, I think Todd would be way better suited vocally for Metal Church. Mike Howe and Geoff Tate are very different types of singers, and I think Todd's voice, naturally, would be better suited for Metal Church. Todd loves singing with some grit and rasp, and honestly, that's perfect for that band.

Same here. I love that Todd has rejuvenated the band, but ya, not a fan of his voice either and I agree about the warmth and the depth comment, it just isn’t there.

+2 on the warmth and depth comment. That's just not where is voice is. I got killed for being "negative" when I've said this very thing, but facts are facts. Todd is a really good singer. But his natural voice is not as warm and powerful as the man he replaced. That's not hate, that's just fact. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

That's why that thing about Metal Church - probably not likely, but it would actually be pretty damn perfect.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5793 on: October 08, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »

I subscribed to the Metal Church page and I haven’t heard a thing! Where is the source that they’re working on a new album?

Maybe you should've subscribed to The TAC Mailing List instead! :P :lol

https://bravewords.com/news/metal-churchs-kurdt-vanderhoof-says-they-have-a-new-singer-and-there-will-be-new-album-in-2023-i-wanted-to-complete-the-album-in-honour-of-mike-howe

https://www.metal-rules.com/2022/09/23/kurdt-vanderhoof-talks-new-metal-church-music-mike-howe-and-more/
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online The Realm

« Reply #5794 on: October 08, 2022, 02:36:47 PM »

Personally, I think Todd would be way better suited vocally for Metal Church. Mike Howe and Geoff Tate are very different types of singers, and I think Todd's voice, naturally, would be better suited for Metal Church. Todd loves singing with some grit and rasp, and honestly, that's perfect for that band.

+2 on the warmth and depth comment. That's just not where is voice is. I got killed for being "negative" when I've said this very thing, but facts are facts. Todd is a really good singer. But his natural voice is not as warm and powerful as the man he replaced. That's not hate, that's just fact. And there's nothing wrong with that at all.

That's why that thing about Metal Church - probably not likely, but it would actually be pretty damn perfect.

Yes, I am also not trying to hate on him. I am actually really enjoying this album and still listening to it. The songs are there, apart from Forest which I am not much of a fan of. That song sounds like a ballad throwback to the late 80s/early 90s.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5795 on: October 08, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
LOVING this album! I think Todd sounds great. So many catchy melodies and ear worm choruses. I totally disagree with the comments about his voice not fitting QR.

I've got 4 full spins now and it keeps getting better.

Did you
Ever
Love me

Did you
Ever
Love you

My favorite album of the year so far with Megadeth a close 2nd.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5796 on: October 08, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »
It got me thinking, now that we have four albums with Todd La Torre. If you were to make a single CD of the best songs off these four albums, what would your tracklisting be?

I would really need to run through all of the albums to make a list. But I'mma gonna do it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5797 on: October 08, 2022, 07:45:36 PM »
All this talk about Todd's voice and all. I think he's been awesome on every album he's done with Queensryche. It did feel at first that he was trying to channel Tate, but,,,,he just sounds very similar, and that shouldn't be held against him. He's an amazing vocalist, and if this band was called anything other than Queensryche, it wouldn't even be an issue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5798 on: October 08, 2022, 07:50:50 PM »
Haven't listened to the new one but the negativity around Todd kind of astounds me.  I think he's been great for them personally.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5799 on: October 08, 2022, 08:10:44 PM »
I've really been enjoying the new record - Sicdeth, Tormentum and Behind the Walls are my favorites so far. 

I just wish the band would play more of the newer material live.  I miss those days of Queensryche headlining tours, where you'd hear them play 6-7 new songs.  I'll be seeing them open for Priest in a couple of weeks for the 11th time, and I'm only expecting one of the singles from this record to be played....and it better not be Forest. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5800 on: October 08, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »
I've really been enjoying the new record - Sicdeth, Tormentum and Behind the Walls are my favorites so far. 

I just wish the band would play more of the newer material live.  I miss those days of Queensryche headlining tours, where you'd hear them play 6-7 new songs.  I'll be seeing them open for Priest in a couple of weeks for the 11th time, and I'm only expecting one of the singles from this record to be played....and it better not be Forest.

Funny enough, I'm actually listening to the album right now, and was literally thinking the exact same thing. I wouldn't even consider going to see them if they were just playing 80's stuff. If they played a Toddryche-centric set, I'd definitely be interested in seeing them.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5801 on: October 08, 2022, 09:33:53 PM »
I have no issues with Todd at all.  Maybe he's not as good as Tate was at his best but I imagine very very few are.  Live I've heard him sounding a little tired here and there, but generally think he does a great job.

I've listened to the new album twice, not super dedicated listens though.  It seems good, but I need to give it more attention.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #5802 on: October 09, 2022, 03:43:35 AM »
I've been enjoying the new album all day, there's some really nice tracks here.

X2/Where Dreams Go To Die
Spore
Open Road
Eye9
Bulletproof
Hourglass
Just Us
Blood of the Levant
Launder the Conscience
Chapters
Lost In Sorrow
Nocturnal Light
Out of the Black
Tormentum

Offline majo

« Reply #5803 on: October 09, 2022, 06:34:11 AM »
Solid album through and through and Todd sounds great  :metal
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5804 on: October 09, 2022, 08:13:07 AM »
All this talk about Todd's voice and all. I think he's been awesome on every album he's done with Queensryche. It did feel at first that he was trying to channel Tate, but,,,,he just sounds very similar, and that shouldn't be held against him. He's an amazing vocalist, and if this band was called anything other than Queensryche, it wouldn't even be an issue.

False. If this band were called something else I wouldn’t be interested in it. There are numerous bands I find interesting musically but am turned off by the vocals. This would fit in that group.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5805 on: October 09, 2022, 08:19:26 AM »

False. If this band were called something else I wouldn’t be interested in it. There are numerous bands I find interesting musically but am turned off by the vocals. This would fit in that group.

Huh. I've had to go to harsh vocals in the past few years to find music that is interesting musically.

So you just don't like Todd's vocals at all, is that what you're saying? That's cool.

I just generally think that the fact that he is so similar to Tate can complicate the listening.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5806 on: October 09, 2022, 12:09:47 PM »
I just got a listen to the new album. I like it. Todd is an amazing vocalist and frontman! Need more time with it before I can really give it a fair opinion. So far the first QR with Todd is my favorite.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5807 on: October 09, 2022, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5808 on: October 09, 2022, 05:08:35 PM »
New video for Hold On..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygevLfVaaR8

This is one song from the album I'm having a little more trouble warming up to...I guess it's because it relatively less catchy overall, I'm not sure. Parts of it are quite nice, but something in the melodies/chords doesn't resolve in a super-satisfying way. It's kind of cool sounding, though. And the bass and drums are great.

BTW, after further listens I can say I'm quite enjoying the album overall. Even if it's not particularly complex, I find it gets better the more time I spend with it. Lost in Sorrow and Behind the Walls my current favorite tunes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5809 on: October 10, 2022, 12:14:22 AM »
Just finished my first listen.  Not sure what to think.  It's not fair to judge on one listen with an album like this.  There was cool stuff and some stuff that made me drift.  The production is great though.

The Rebel Yell cover is a bit strange in the context of this but Todd kills this, wow.

I will say, Forest is awful, just awful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.