Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705524 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5705 on: August 19, 2022, 08:46:11 PM »
But do you know what the source is for the audio?  I bet Brian does.  Hopefully, he weighs in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5706 on: August 19, 2022, 08:46:53 PM »
I thought I'd watch a little of the Live In Tokyo show on youtube tonight. And I am reminded why I never watch it, even though The Warning is my favorite album by them. Those vocals are totally dubbed in, and it sucks.

I don't think I've eve watched it.  Seen the Take Hold clip but nothing else.  I mainly just listen to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setzer

• Queensrÿche Aficionado
« Reply #5707 on: August 20, 2022, 05:33:46 AM »
The quality mismatch of Geoff's mic when he's singing, and then talking between the songs is very noticeable.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5708 on: August 20, 2022, 09:52:36 AM »
But do you know what the source is for the audio?  I bet Brian does.  Hopefully, he weighs in.

Sorry, I would have responded yesterday, but I've been engrossed with the top-40 QR thread, which was great.

The audio of Live in Tokyo was taken from the two nights (three shows) they played on Aug. 4-5, 1984, in Tokyo. From conversations I've had, there were overdubs done, like all live records. The extent of it, I'm unsure. I don't think it was a ton, but all live records like that were cleaned up back then. My guess is those overdubs that were necessary were done during touring breaks. QR was on the road constantly, but there are gaps in the tour schedule.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5709 on: August 20, 2022, 10:31:25 AM »
I never really thought twice about any touch-up on that audio, since (1) there's nothing on there that the band couldn't pull off live at that time, and (2) it just sounds great.  But I guess not seeing the video helps.  :lol

I really need to find that.  My bootlegs are in a box somewhere in this house, but I don't know where.  Haven't seen it in a long time.  I guess my best bet is to wait until Fall when we shift everything around in the attic and closets to get the Fall decorations out and get the Winter decorations accessible.  I think it's probably in one of those areas.  My silver of that show actually got stolen many years ago when I was in law school in So. Cal.  My car got broken into, and I was foolish enough to leave my CD wallet under the seat in my car in those days, and it was taken.  Since that bootleg was on my frequent listens list back then, it was in there.  I finally found another copy on Ebay sometime later, but it was clearly just a CDR with a printed decal stuck on the top.  The value of the CDs I lost didn't bother me as much as the fact that a few of them were going to be really hard or impossible to replace, and I would bet that whoever took them was not into ANY of the music that I had in there.  To this day, I haven't been able to truly replace that one or my import of Doro's Love Me in Black.  Irritating. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5710 on: August 20, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »
I never really thought twice about any touch-up on that audio, since (1) there's nothing on there that the band couldn't pull off live at that time, and (2) it just sounds great.  But I guess not seeing the video helps.  :lol

I don't agree with this line of thinking, as, if applied to other areas of music, it sets up for too much shortcut-taking. 

For example, say a singer has trouble nailing a particular line in the studio just right, one they are capable of doing, instead of doing it over and over until they get it right, they sing it once and then let the producer touch and fix it up with "auto-tune," which is suddenly okay because we know they could have pulled it off eventually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5711 on: August 20, 2022, 01:07:34 PM »
I hear you, but your example is different.  That's somebody else artificially making something sound good, as opposed to the actual singer re-singing the part later, and using that take (which is what we are talking about).  I don't have a problem with the latter.  If you do, that's fine, but I don't.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5712 on: August 20, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »

Sorry, I would have responded yesterday, but I've been engrossed with the top-40 QR thread, which was great.

The audio of Live in Tokyo was taken from the two nights (three shows) they played on Aug. 4-5, 1984, in Tokyo. From conversations I've had, there were overdubs done, like all live records. The extent of it, I'm unsure. I don't think it was a ton, but all live records like that were cleaned up back then. My guess is those overdubs that were necessary were done during touring breaks. QR was on the road constantly, but there are gaps in the tour schedule.

That makes sense. Perhaps the vocal track was used from a different night as the footage.
But man, it just doesn't sound live to me.

The old Ozzy concert videos might be worse, like Speak Of The Devil. It is unwatchable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5713 on: August 20, 2022, 04:28:35 PM »
I hear you, but your example is different.  That's somebody else artificially making something sound good, as opposed to the actual singer re-singing the part later, and using that take (which is what we are talking about).  I don't have a problem with the latter.  If you do, that's fine, but I don't.

I get this, but I have long gritted my teeth over the constant fixing up of live shows and then releasing them as true live records.  To me, a live record ought to be just that: a live record, warts and all. If a vocal part gets flubbed or a guitar goes down or whatever, tough luck, that is part of playing live.  Studio versions are where you can make it all perfect and just right.  But that is my own hill to die on, and I get that many do not feel the same way.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5714 on: August 20, 2022, 06:12:08 PM »

That makes sense. Perhaps the vocal track was used from a different night as the footage.
But man, it just doesn't sound live to me.

The old Ozzy concert videos might be worse, like Speak Of The Devil. It is unwatchable.

I purchased this on DVD and almost fucking threw it out after watching a few songs.  What a joke.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5715 on: August 20, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »
I just watched Nightrider from Live in Tokyo and the opening scream was definitely overdubbed. Still a great listen.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5716 on: August 22, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
In general, most live releases were overdubbed back then. It was just how things were done. And touch ups, even now, are still done, but less so, because everyone in the audience has a phone and can capture what really happened.

I have probably one of the most extensive bootleg collections of the original lineup. And Tate...any touches needed were just to make sure it was nailed. Because dude could literally sing anything. All the audience recordings and radio broadcasts that were pure live were unbelievably good. Man, he was just ON FIRE.

Think of it this way. For Operation: LIVEcrime, the band recorded three shows. They could have released any of the three, as they were. In one, Geoff flubbed the lyrics to a song, and Michael broke a string. Outside of that, all of those shows were pristine. That tells you something about the tightness of the band from 1983-1992.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5717 on: August 22, 2022, 08:11:40 PM »
In general, most live releases were overdubbed back then. It was just how things were done. And touch ups, even now, are still done, but less so, because everyone in the audience has a phone and can capture what really happened.

I have probably one of the most extensive bootleg collections of the original lineup. And Tate...any touches needed were just to make sure it was nailed. Because dude could literally sing anything. All the audience recordings and radio broadcasts that were pure live were unbelievably good. Man, he was just ON FIRE.

Think of it this way. For Operation: LIVEcrime, the band recorded three shows. They could have released any of the three, as they were. In one, Geoff flubbed the lyrics to a song, and Michael broke a string. Outside of that, all of those shows were pristine. That tells you something about the tightness of the band from 1983-1992.

Curious what lyrics he flubbed.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5718 on: August 23, 2022, 09:32:32 AM »
I don't remember. I want to say it was Jet City Woman, but I think I want to say that because I've seen him screw that up a couple of times personally, not that it was the one during the Livecrime tapings.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5719 on: August 31, 2022, 06:40:48 AM »
You can stream the newest single "Behind the Walls" on your favorite platform, and the band will be releasing a video later this morning (11 AM EST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOYiGUr3Iw

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5720 on: August 31, 2022, 06:45:27 AM »
Ooh, that is nice!

I assume it's Todd playing the keys?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5721 on: August 31, 2022, 08:16:52 AM »
Tate played the whole Promised Land album in Europe (Belfast). Wished he had done this in the US.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-geoff-tate-performs-queensryches-entire-promised-land-album-at-belfast-concert

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5722 on: August 31, 2022, 08:55:08 AM »
Tate played the whole Promised Land album in Europe (Belfast). Wished he had done this in the US.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-geoff-tate-performs-queensryches-entire-promised-land-album-at-belfast-concert

That's fucking awesome. I'll check it out. Hope it's good. Thanks for posting.

edit - watched some of the clips on that blabbermouth article and read the Eonmusic piece. For the record, Tate did "Out of Mind" on his acoustic tour in 2017, so...it hasn't been almost 30 years since he performed that. lol. As for the clips, I thought it was okay. Hard to tell on cell phones. Someone Else...Tate was oversinging it, but I assume his emotional state...I am going to guess his health scare (he had open heart surgery apparently in June) may have led to his emotions. He's always said Promised Land was his favorite record from QR.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:39:21 AM by Samsara »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5723 on: August 31, 2022, 09:30:57 AM »
My all-time favorite album.  So much emotion and introspection.  Hope he does this show in the U.S. for the album's 30th anniversary in 2024. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #5724 on: August 31, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »
Another great song. Almost feels like something off RFO.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5725 on: August 31, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »

Was this his first performance since his heart procedure? It makes sense he’d be a bit more emotional.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5726 on: August 31, 2022, 09:41:48 AM »
My all-time favorite album.  So much emotion and introspection.  Hope he does this show in the U.S. for the album's 30th anniversary in 2024.

Fingers crossed.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5727 on: August 31, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
You can stream the newest single "Behind the Walls" on your favorite platform, and the band will be releasing a video later this morning (11 AM EST)

The ending solo is very Warning-era.

Not feeling Casey’s drumming, while more than capable, he doesn’t seem to bring anything extra to the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5728 on: August 31, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »

The ending solo is very Warning-era.

Not feeling Casey’s drumming, while more than capable, he doesn’t seem to bring anything extra to the band.

Well, in its current incarnation, I'm not sure anyone is bringing anything extra to the band. Except for Todd, maybe, who seems to be working his ass off to make this work.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5729 on: August 31, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »
If not for Todd I think this incarnation of QR would have called it quits some years ago.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5730 on: August 31, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
If not for Todd I think this incarnation of QR would have called it quits some years ago.

But they can't right? They still owe Geoff money, don't they?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5731 on: August 31, 2022, 02:16:15 PM »
re: Behind the Walls - so far, the one I like best out of all the three tracks released. It has something familiar (Wilton's signature tone and playing), and something different that appealed to me. I'm curious to see what the record is as a whole. I keep tabs mostly to see what the remaining original members are doing. But good songs are good songs and I dug Behind the Walls.

re: people bringing things to the band - I think that's a bit harsh. I think everyone brings a lot to this incarnation of Queensryche. Eddie has become a much more integral songwriter. Many of the songs we like from this era were ideas and demos from Ed. (Eye9 and Spore come to mind immediately.) Casey brings a different sound to the drums...not sure I like it better, and it certainly isn't as distinct as Scott's sound, but it IS different. Todd also comes at things way more from a metal and 80s melodic rock sound, as opposed to Tate's prog rock approach. Wilton is delivering more than he has since Empire. What he brings is absolutely vital to hearing those echoes of classic Queensryche.

Look, at the end of the day, Queensryche, these days, is a career. It's a brand. I hate talking that way, because I'm a romantic - I like to always remember the artistry of things and the pure creativity of what goes into making songs and records. Band brotherhood and all that. But Queensryche has been around for 40 years. They aren't breaking new ground like the original band tried to do ("no limits"). Instead, they are remembering who they were in their prime, and trying to come up with interesting new material around that, that enables them to continue working and "being" Queensryche.

I'll always be "that guy" tooting the horn of the original group. That was my Queensryche, and my favorite band of all time. But after so many years of other lineups in the rearview, the one thing I can say for certain, is that whoever is writing the songs truly cares about making things true to them and interesting to listeners in the genre. There's no phoning it in. Not to my ears. So I think the members of current Queensryche bring a lot to the table. It's just different, and obviously very subjective on whether you connect with it or not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5732 on: August 31, 2022, 02:27:48 PM »
re: people bringing things to the band - I think that's a bit harsh. I think everyone brings a lot to this incarnation of Queensryche. Eddie has become a much more integral songwriter. Many of the songs we like from this era were ideas and demos from Ed. (Eye9 and Spore come to mind immediately.) Casey brings a different sound to the drums...not sure I like it better, and it certainly isn't as distinct as Scott's sound, but it IS different. Todd also comes at things way more from a metal and 80s melodic rock sound, as opposed to Tate's prog rock approach. Wilton is delivering more than he has since Empire. What he brings is absolutely vital to hearing those echoes of classic Queensryche.

Yeah a bit harsh, but T-ski mentioned Grillo and said anything "extra", which I process as who does what that stands out.

Like, to me back in the day, with Tate and Scott, they were the draws for me. They were the "extra" that separated Queensryche for me. I am/was guilty of underrating Degarmo at the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5733 on: August 31, 2022, 04:25:38 PM »
Listened to the new song again, and it is awesome!!
Who's the guitarist with the hat in the video?

They say the first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem...

...I need to stop being a dick when it comes to Queensryche.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5734 on: August 31, 2022, 04:53:46 PM »
Who's the guitarist with the hat in the video?

Mike Stone, the guitarist they had from Tribe through Mindcrime II. You probably didn't recognize him since the guitar tone on these songs sounds surprisingly not shrill and grating. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5735 on: August 31, 2022, 05:58:58 PM »

That's fucking awesome. I'll check it out. Hope it's good. Thanks for posting.

edit - watched some of the clips on that blabbermouth article and read the Eonmusic piece. For the record, Tate did "Out of Mind" on his acoustic tour in 2017, so...it hasn't been almost 30 years since he performed that. lol. As for the clips, I thought it was okay. Hard to tell on cell phones. Someone Else...Tate was oversinging it, but I assume his emotional state...I am going to guess his health scare (he had open heart surgery apparently in June) may have led to his emotions. He's always said Promised Land was his favorite record from QR.

Sounds like a smart man.  :tup :tup

Online nick_z

« Reply #5736 on: August 31, 2022, 06:20:06 PM »
Agree with the comments on Behind the Walls...it's a great song! I have to say, I'm starting to get mildly excited for the album...

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5737 on: August 31, 2022, 07:03:18 PM »
Still not sold on Forest particularly as a second single but yes hearing some tasty throwback in Behind The Walls and liking it a lot \m/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5738 on: September 01, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »
Here's Geoff and his solo band doing Queensryche's "My Global Mind." - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6RuygldVI

Not bad, particularly for a guy two months out from open heart surgery. I enjoyed that performance. The background vocals are pitched a little low (I'm used to hearing DeGarmo and Jackson), but overall, that was pretty solid!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5739 on: September 19, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »
Well, today Digital Noise Alliance went out to the media for early reviews. I've had it for a little while, but don't want to steal the thunder from those writing more in-depth reviews.

All I'll say is this, for now: I think Tormentum, the closing track, which clocks in at 7:30, is one of the best songs from the La Torre era. It was one of three or four tracks on the 11-track record that I hit "repeat" on. I'll be interested to read everyone's initial thoughts. But I think folks will really love the closing tune.