Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704692 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5670 on: July 11, 2022, 12:25:27 AM »
Well, I try to do these countdowns for them to be fun, and really don't feel like dealing with pissing and moaning about not including anything post-90s, which I said was a non-negotiable, so I will probably just do Porcupine Tree next. Call me a grumpy bastard, but I am dealing with enough shit in real life that I'd rather do a countdown with no drama and that is fun.

Sounds good you grumpy bastard. 

I better start finding the few PT albums I have.

Wolfster, the reality is I couldn't tell you a Porcupine Tree song for anything.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5671 on: July 11, 2022, 12:27:54 AM »
Well, I try to do these countdowns for them to be fun, and really don't feel like dealing with pissing and moaning about not including anything post-90s, which I said was a non-negotiable, so I will probably just do Porcupine Tree next. Call me a grumpy bastard, but I am dealing with enough shit in real life that I'd rather do a countdown with no drama and that is fun.

Wolfster, the reality is I couldn't tell you a Porcupine Tree song for anything.

Same. I love MANY prog bands, they're not one of them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5672 on: July 11, 2022, 12:34:26 AM »

Mate, trust me, don't bother, you wouldn't last a single song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #5673 on: July 11, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »

Does that include Frequency Unknown? :P ;D

:lol

Of course! But I'd be pretty surprised if anyone had a song from it in their top-50.

Kev - it's your deal man. Nobody is pissing and moaning. Just giving opinions. Run it the way you want to run it. I'll still play along.  :smiley:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online pg1067

« Reply #5674 on: July 11, 2022, 10:18:55 AM »

If I've ever heard a Porcupine Tree song, I don't remember.

Kev - it's your deal man. Nobody is pissing and moaning. Just giving opinions. Run it the way you want to run it. I'll still play along.  :smiley:

Exactly this.  Kev, if you ask for input, you'll get it, but once you set the rules, then the rules are the rules, and you'll get no grumbling from me (unless you don't include Last Time in Paris!   :biggrin: ).  I just appreciate you doing these.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5675 on: July 11, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »

Exactly this.  Kev, if you ask for input, you'll get it, but once you set the rules, then the rules are the rules, and you'll get no grumbling from me (unless you don't include Last Time in Paris!   :biggrin: ).  I just appreciate you doing these.

All of that.  And if I were to do my own with the whole discography, I would wait until after yours is done so they don't compete.  It would actually be kinda fun to see how the lists compared after the two different approaches.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5676 on: July 11, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
Paging Samsara:

https://www.backstagepasstravel.com/montana-tour-with-geoff-tate-2023/

"Who wants to spend a week in Montana with me next summer?," asks original Queensrÿche frontman, Geoff Tate. "We’ll check out ghost towns and swim in an alpine lake. We’ll do some recording so bring your voices or guitars if you play. To join me click this link for more info."

Tate's Ghost Towns And Guitars - 2023 will include:

Day 1 - Sunday - July 16th, 2023: Arrive in Montana and settle into your historic lodgings.  Go to the local brewery and enjoy the evening having a few pints with Geoff while listening to live music.  Can we talk Geoff into getting up and doing a few songs??  Stamp your local Montana Brewery/distillery passport. 

Day 2 - Monday - July 17th, 2023: Get up in the morning and tour a local distillery. Learn how they distill several different spirits and watch Geoff and Kieran make up some new cocktails for you to try. Goto a local restaurant and try some Montana gourmet.  Finally, finish the night with a campfire complete with guitar playing and sing along with Geoff and the band.

Day 3 - Tuesday - July 18th, 2023: Hike to a pristine mountain lake and jump in!!  It’s hot outside, but that water comes straight off the snow melt!!  Change for the evening and visit another Montana distillery and have dinner in a classic Montana Steakhouse. 

Day 4 - Wednesday - July 19th, 2023: Drive to Flathead Lake, stopping at the Old Jesuit Mission at the foot of the Mission Mountains.  Next, take a party boat with Geoff and the band around the lake and do some shopping in a artists town later for some souvenirs. 

Day 5 - Thursday - July 20th, 2023: Geoff will take everyone out to visit Big Hole National Battlefield which was created to honor the 90 Nez Perce indians who fought and died in August of 1877.  Next we will continue a day of history by visiting an incredibly well preserved, true old west ghost town.  This ghost town was the site of Montana’s first major gold discovery in 1862.  We will then come home to have another campfire and a chilly dinner.

Day 6 - Friday - July 21st, 2023: Go to see some raptors and hear from a wildlife rehabilitation expert.  Next we embark on a day of horseback riding and other activities.  You can choose to learn to do some roping and or some fly fishing.  Or, secondly you could try your hand at western line dancing and marvel at what an amazing dancer Geoff’s drummer Danny is!  Finally we have dinner and music to finish off the evening.

Day 7 - Saturday - July 22nd, 2023: Check out the local farmer’s market and taste some of the treats from the local restaurants.  Shop for those one of a kind artisan items for a keepsake reminder of your trip.  Next, return to the band’s lodge and record a song with the band.  If you play guitar, you are welcome to bring yours along and have a chance to add some of your playing to the song as well.

Day 8 - Sunday - July 23rd, 2023: Rides back to the airport to head home after your wild west adventure.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online pg1067

« Reply #5677 on: July 11, 2022, 07:41:56 PM »
Didn't he do this once before (or maybe he just planned it and it got COVID-fucked)?

Honestly, it's not a bad deal at all, although I'm not a huge fan of pre-planned stuff.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5678 on: July 12, 2022, 10:21:37 AM »
Paging Samsara:

Sounds like a fun trip, but for $4,500 per couple, I think we could do something cooler. I've paid to see Geoff Tate perform 40+x, I think this one is a hard pass.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5679 on: July 12, 2022, 10:33:39 AM »
Samsara, you probably know this better than most, but for me, as much as it sounds like fun, the devil is in the details.  Is Geoff personable enough and open enough to make all that a meaningful experience?  I mean, are you riding a horse alongside him and able to ask, "what's the deal with Sister Mary, for reals?"  Or is he ducking in after dinner for some handshakes and an arm's length sing-along?   I'm not being critical, I'm not suggesting he's not, but there's risk in all that IF you're not up for the entire trip sans Geoff for that price.  Does that make sense?

Online pg1067

« Reply #5680 on: July 12, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
It'd actually be worth a few hundred buck to me to remind him of our prior encounter (which I believe I've previously posted about here).  When Metallica was touring for AJFA and QR opened, my friend won a contest on the radio to meet the bands (if I recall correctly, it was a pre-show meet & greet).  All of the people who won (probably only a couple dozen because I don't recall more than 40-50 people in the room) were entered into a raffle to win a Kirk Hammett signed guitar, and my friend won that also.

Anyway, my friend took me as his "plus 1," and the singer in our band asked us to ask Tate how he warmed up his voice.  His response:  "I masturbate in the shower."  I kid you not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5681 on: July 12, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »
Samsara, you probably know this better than most, but for me, as much as it sounds like fun, the devil is in the details.  Is Geoff personable enough and open enough to make all that a meaningful experience?  I mean, are you riding a horse alongside him and able to ask, "what's the deal with Sister Mary, for reals?"  Or is he ducking in after dinner for some handshakes and an arm's length sing-along?   I'm not being critical, I'm not suggesting he's not, but there's risk in all that IF you're not up for the entire trip sans Geoff for that price.  Does that make sense?

I agree.  For serious fans of Tate, I think it's a pretty good value regardless.  With the same itinerary, even though a few of the events are alcohol-centered and I don't drink, I would probably consider this and get a lot out of it if it were any of the members of DT, or if it were Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, or a select few others.  Even if the interaction with bandmembers was more "arms-length," it would still be worth it, IMO. 

Think of it this way:  Meet-and-greets are a pretty arms-length transaction, but yet they are often experiences of a lifetime for fans.  Imagine getting 7 straight days of extended meet-and-greets where, even if the band interaction is heavily regulated, it is still less formal than a concert meet-and-greet, and the artist has time to get a bit familiar with you, and there is at least a minimal opportunity for there to be continuity and follow-up conversation over that 7 days.  And that doesn't even take into account the sightseeing and other activities.  So, yeah, while I agree with you that a lot of the details may need to be fleshed out to decide whether it is worth it on an individual basis, I think there is a lot of value provided here that makes the price tag pretty reasonable.  If I were still a fan of Tate like I was in the '90s and early '00s, I might jump at something like this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5682 on: July 12, 2022, 01:37:06 PM »
I agree with all that.  Makes sense.  I'm sure if you're a big enough fan that's got to be special.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5683 on: July 12, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »

Let me preface this by saying I don't know Geoff personally. I've met him in fan settings, exchanged emails about things, etc., but it's not like some of my other relationships. So my guess is, he's probably very available on these trips, but I would say he's probably not going to be your best buddy either. I've never gone on one, but while he's certainly social, I don't know the extent of "access" a person would have. Based on the description, it seems like everyone is the same areas and does some things each day as a group, but it's not all hand-in-hand the entire time.

If this was 25 years ago and I had the resources then that I'd have now, and all I knew was he was (back then) my favorite singer, I'm still not sure I would do it. But I am sure it is very worth it for many fans.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5684 on: July 21, 2022, 06:18:03 PM »
New song is a bit of a snoozefest on first listen for me unfortunately.  Based on these two songs though it definitely fuels my feeling that Todd has stopped doing a Geoff Tate impersonation on this record.  Definitely feels less identifiable as Queensryche because of that but I really like the first single in it’s own right so am hopeful for a good album.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #5685 on: July 21, 2022, 07:00:03 PM »
New song is a bit of a snoozefest on first listen for me unfortunately.  Based on these two songs though it definitely fuels my feeling that Todd has stopped doing a Geoff Tate impersonation on this record.  Definitely feels less identifiable as Queensryche because of that but I really like the first single in it’s own right so am hopeful for a good album.

You mean FOREST?  Yeah saw that single dropped overnight and agree, doesn't sound like the Todd we have come to know which isn't a bad thing but the song itself doesn't do much fer me either kinda weird choice for second single IMO but kudos for doing something different ;)

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5686 on: July 22, 2022, 06:48:15 AM »
The music itself has a really strong QR vibe (PL? I'm not sure). But I felt like they missed an opportunity for an impactful vocal melody on top of it. Overall it's fine, I enjoyed listening to it a couple times to start the day.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #5687 on: July 22, 2022, 08:06:40 AM »
Paging Samsara:

"Who wants to spend a week in Montana with me next summer?," asks original Queensrÿche frontman, Geoff Tate. "We’ll check out ghost towns and swim in an alpine lake. We’ll do some recording so bring your voices or guitars if you play. To join me click this link for more info."

Blimey, I thought Armie Hammer selling timeshares in Guatemala was sad enough, how broke must Geoff be to be moonlighting as a tour guide?

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5688 on: July 22, 2022, 09:31:08 AM »
Forest is an interesting curve from the Maiden-esque first single. Very DeGarmo like vibe. Todd’s voice seems very thin singing over the top of it however, it just doesn’t haven’t the warmth it needs to IMO.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5689 on: July 22, 2022, 09:56:54 AM »
Paging Samsara:

Blimey, I thought Armie Hammer selling timeshares in Guatemala was sad enough, how broke must Geoff be to be moonlighting as a tour guide?

He's been doing similar things for awhile now.  I don't think it's about being "broke."  But think about it--he's a musician that is WAY past his prime, isn't putting out new music that very many are interested in, and when touring, is only really able to play clubs.  That isn't bringing in a lot of money at all.  He's smart to find a unique way to parlay his celebrity into other interests to generate income.  More power to him.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5690 on: July 22, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
Forest is an interesting curve from the Maiden-esque first single. Very DeGarmo like vibe. Todd’s voice seems very thin singing over the top of it however, it just doesn’t haven’t the warmth it needs to IMO.
My thoughts exactly. I was trying to place the vibe and then I realized it was very close to Silent Lucidity! I'm enjoying it though.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5691 on: July 22, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »
In all honesty, I'm not getting a Lucidity vibe other than it being acoustic and having orchestration. This song really just goes along. We'll have to see how it sits in context of the record.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5692 on: July 22, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »
I'm not getting that vibe either.  But it's a decent enough song. 

Offline Deathless

« Reply #5693 on: July 22, 2022, 11:30:07 AM »
Sorry I didn't clarify - not the entire song but the guitar/solo section reminded me of it. Vocally/melodically not at all.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5694 on: July 22, 2022, 11:46:05 AM »
I found the song to be pretty boring. 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5695 on: July 22, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
Meh, It's an ok song, still not into this era of QR.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5696 on: July 22, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
I really hope they didn't sit there say we need a Silent Lucidity styled song. Knowing them, they probably did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5697 on: July 22, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
I really hope they didn't sit there say we need a Silent Lucidity styled song. Knowing them, they probably did.

Yeah not even close to Silent Lucidity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5698 on: July 22, 2022, 06:10:26 PM »
I wasn’t impressed with the first single at all. Just really bland. But I will try to give it another spin.

The ballad I ended up enjoying more than I thought I would. It maintains the soul of a Queensrÿche ballad and even harkens back to some of the classic guitar tones without necessarily sounding anything like any previous songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5699 on: July 22, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »
I wasn’t impressed with the first single at all. Just really bland. But I will try to give it another spin.

The ballad I ended up enjoying more than I thought I would. It maintains the soul of a Queensrÿche ballad and even harkens back to some of the classic guitar tones without necessarily sounding anything like any previous songs.

Oh of course. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5700 on: July 22, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »

I agree.  After one spin, it didn't grab me as anything overly special.  But it wasn't bad either. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #5701 on: August 17, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »
New balled, Forest is very good. I'm coming back to these new songs about once a week and really enjoying them. I have a feeling this might be in contention for album of the year.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5702 on: August 19, 2022, 07:52:14 PM »
I thought I'd watch a little of the Live In Tokyo show on youtube tonight. And I am reminded why I never watch it, even though The Warning is my favorite album by them. Those vocals are totally dubbed in, and it sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5703 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:30 PM »
Not sure whether I know the story behind that.  Is it dubbed from another show, or redone in the studio?  I have an audio only silver disk of that show, which I believe is just the audio that was ripped to CD, and it sounds fantastic, but I've never watched the video.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5704 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
The video is brutal. It sounds like it was cut in the studio, honestly, and the words don't always match his mouth.