Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705782 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #5600 on: June 24, 2022, 09:00:03 AM »
Tim,

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online pg1067

« Reply #5601 on: June 24, 2022, 09:26:30 AM »
Sam, I know you've posted it before, but what was the intended running order? Nevermind..I see it on wiki. NM 156 opens and they move Warning down to before Roads.

I am so used to Warning the way it is. I don't think I could reorder it at this point. I've been listening to it the same way for 38 years. (Just saying that makes me want to puke! :lol)

I actually loved how NM 156 close Side 1. It was like it was laying in wait and then BAM! I honestly don't think I could love the album more than I do by changing the order. Warning is one of my favorite all time albums.

I recall re-ordering it, and it just didn't sound right.  I've read folks talk about how it's some sort of revelation and game-changing, but I don't get it.  Of course, I've learned from posting on DTF that there are quite a few folks who view song ordering on albums as way more import than I do.

Brian, what does the small print on the line after Roads to Madness say?  I can't make it out, and enlarging the screen makes it more blurry.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5602 on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:43 AM »

I recall re-ordering it, and it just didn't sound right.  I've read folks talk about how it's some sort of revelation and game-changing, but I don't get it.  Of course, I've learned from posting on DTF that there are quite a few folks who view song ordering on albums as way more import than I do.

Brian, what does the small print on the line after Roads to Madness say?  I can't make it out, and enlarging the screen makes it more blurry.

For me, it's the circular ending, of Roads fading out and NM 156 beginning the same way that really bangs home the theme of the record. I've always viewed The Warning as an album not just about the dangers of nuclear holocaust and advancing technology, but that we, as a race, continually make the same mistake of taking innovation and turning it into a weapon. That's really what hit me. It's a minor tweak as you can see the song order above (and No Sanctuary going before Deliverance). But it made a world of difference for me.

re: small print -- I never could tell. I always assume it was that sound effect that ends Roads...drawing it out until the end (9:12 it looks like). But I could never make it out, and I always forget to ask when I have an opportunity.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #5603 on: June 25, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
1. Wot We Do
2. The Mission
3. Anybody Listening
4. Eyes of a Stranger
5. I Dream in Infrared
6. Jet City Woman
7. London
8. I Don't Believe in Love
9. Della Brown
10. Damaged

Actually, on second thought, replace Wot We Do with Suite Sister Mary and that will be my Top 10 ;)  I thought my list was going to be a little more varied and have more albums represented, but the Rage through Promised Land era was just on a whole different level.

Regarding the new single, it pains me to say that this is probably the most bored I've ever been by a Queensryche song. After 5 listens, I still can't remember a single thing about it. All of the Todd-era albums have been strong in my opinion (especially The Verdict) and I expect to like the new one as well as long as it goes in some interesting directions and doesn't play it safe.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5604 on: June 25, 2022, 08:47:32 PM »
1. Wot We Do
2. The Mission
3. Anybody Listening
4. Eyes of a Stranger
5. I Dream in Infrared
6. Jet City Woman
7. London
8. I Don't Believe in Love
9. Della Brown
10. Damaged

Actually, on second thought, replace Wot We Do with Suite Sister Mary and that will be my Top 10 ;)  I thought my list was going to be a little more varied and have more albums represented, but the Rage through Promised Land era was just on a whole different level.

Regarding the new single, it pains me to say that this is probably the most bored I've ever been by a Queensryche song. After 5 listens, I still can't remember a single thing about it. All of the Todd-era albums have been strong in my opinion (especially The Verdict) and I expect to like the new one as well as long as it goes in some interesting directions and doesn't play it safe.

lol Wot We Do

Dedicated to Chaos might be the biggest piece of shit of all time from a legendary band.  Wolfster can probably discuss that.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5605 on: June 27, 2022, 11:46:57 AM »
Liking the new single.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5606 on: July 03, 2022, 04:04:08 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but Tate appears to have had heart surgery. From his Facebook page.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5607 on: July 03, 2022, 10:36:00 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but Tate appears to have had heart surgery. From his Facebook page.

That's heartbreaking to here. I wonder why and how he is doing?

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #5608 on: July 03, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »

Doing just fine:
https://www.facebook.com/GeoffTateOfficial/posts/pfbid02FBepLXNjtfoXGqdB7tNEPRAHCq3mdMtuuysREKzbgdxR1jmSbC9ENmDadrumANp3l

In other news:
This is quite sad to read, but unfortunately I can't say it actually surprised me, considering how some people act online and how entitled fans sometimes act.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-says-he-got-death-threats-from-wackos-who-objected-to-him-fronting-the-band

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5609 on: July 03, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »
"Dr. Blair, Dr. Blair.
Dr. S. Kueri, Dr. S. Kueri"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5610 on: July 03, 2022, 01:42:33 PM »

Doing just fine:
https://www.facebook.com/GeoffTateOfficial/posts/pfbid02FBepLXNjtfoXGqdB7tNEPRAHCq3mdMtuuysREKzbgdxR1jmSbC9ENmDadrumANp3l

In other news:
This is quite sad to read, but unfortunately I can't say it actually surprised me, considering how some people act online and how entitled fans sometimes act.
https://blabbermouth.net/news/queensryches-todd-la-torre-says-he-got-death-threats-from-wackos-who-objected-to-him-fronting-the-band

WTF did Todd do? He's been kicking ass since joining QR!!! I'm a QR lifer and I don't see the issue. Should Eddie and Michael have called it quits, people are just sad man.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5611 on: July 03, 2022, 02:05:52 PM »
Top 10 is tough, not sure about the order but will try to pick my 10 favourites in no order.

1) Eyes Of A Stranger (this is my actual favourite without any doubt)
2) Empire
3) Jet City Woman
4) Another Rainy Night (Without You)
5) Breaking The Silence
6) I Don’t Believe In Love
7) Spreading The Disease
8) The Mission
9) The Killing Words
10) Take Hold Of The Flame

As for the new one, I like it.  I think for the first time I am coming around to Samsara’s side where this no longer sounds all that much like Queensryche, however it’s still a nice catchy hard rock song.  I’m not crazy about the grungy middle section with the solo but like the main verses and chorus a lot.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5612 on: July 03, 2022, 06:53:56 PM »
Really dig the new single.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5613 on: July 05, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
Death threats are ridiculous. But that's nothing new. Todd got them when he fronted Crimson Glory for replacing Midnight, and he got them for replacing Tate. It's absolutely absurd.

re: what Queensryche sounds like now (Peter Mc's post)

Let me clarify. It doesn't sound like CLASSIC Queensryche. Nor should it. It's a totally different band that has gone its own direction, as they absolutely should. I'm happy for them. They may rely on what came before to tour, but they shouldn't be beholden to their classic "sound" if that's not where their collective heads are at. I think the new song is okay, and has shifted further away from...what I consider to be the hallmarks of the band. That doesn't make it bad, it makes it them. :)

If you listen to the original band from the EP through HITNF, and then the songs on Tribe with Chris, they follow a very natural sonic evolution. As songwriters they were changing and reinventing and seeing where they could go. In the moment when those records were released, it may at times have sounded like a gigantic departure or leap. But now, 20 years later, to my ears, that evolution was very clear and makes me appreciate records like HITNF (that more people than not disliked) a lot more. HITNF may not be my favorite record from the original Queensryche, but I really like it. As I do the songs from Tribe that had the five of them involved. That, to be, sounds like them.

As people left and were replaced, that sound, and the band's sound changed. I think it's pretty obviously they were rudderless after DeGarmo left. And that makes sense - he was the songwriter in the band who was evolving and pushing the most and that could connect with Tate the best. Q2k featured Kelly, and not surprisingly, listening back, Q2k sounds very much like the albums Kelly was involved in producing/writing at the time. After Tribe, what happened? Tate brought in Jason Slater, who did his best to deliver hard rock/metal in a QR vein that Tate was happy with. Tall order, and obviously, by the time they got to Dedicated to Chaos, while Tate's hallmarks are still in that material, you can tell that creatively, it was imploding.

When TLT joined the band replacing Tate, the first record, and parts of the second, were very clearly trying to stay in that Mindcrime/Empire vein to re-establish the "base" of the band's most popular period. But starting with The Verdict, you can absolutely tell there's no Rockenfield and what he contributed to "sound" of Queensryche. It's metal, and you hear Wilton's style, which gives you echoes of the original sound of the band, but to me, that's really the beginning of a new band.

Fast-forward to the new song, from the upcoming album, I think it continues that. It's okay, and sounds even further from that classic sound of the band. And if they are all happy and energized by their new material, all the more power to them. They can't worry about creating music that sounds like it connects with the original band. They have to be themselves. And I'm happy they are. It's hard rock/metal in a progressive vein. I think it's okay. I am sure there will be other songs I think are better, and other songs I think are worse. Nature of the whole thing.

I'm happy for them if they are happy.

For me, I've gotten to the point that I am not really a fan of "brand names" any longer when it comes to music. I won't buy a record by a band that has undergone massive changes until I hear it a little. Particularly band who have lost a lot of the members that contributed the key elements of the band's music that drew me to them in the first place.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5614 on: July 06, 2022, 03:58:50 AM »
I think TLT is doing much less of a Geoff Tate impersonation on this song too which is probably making it feel less like Queensryche.  I think with the previous albums, whilst musically they may have been a little different, it still sounded like QR to me because of the vocal style.  In other words, if I heard one of those songs on the radio, I would immediately think “is this a new QR song?”.   With this new one, I’m not sure I would.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing though as I like the song quite a bit.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5615 on: July 06, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »
re: In Extremis

My wife said something yesterday that piggybacked exactly what I was thinking. QR has really started to sound more like Fates Warning around the time of Perfect Symmetry. I said that to myself a couple times in the past when listening to The Verdict, and she independently said it yesterday after listening to the new song.

Not sure if anyone also hears the similarity, but figured it was interesting.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5616 on: July 06, 2022, 10:39:05 AM »
re: In Extremis

My wife said something yesterday that piggybacked exactly what I was thinking. QR has really started to sound more like Fates Warning around the time of Perfect Symmetry. I said that to myself a couple times in the past when listening to The Verdict, and she independently said it yesterday after listening to the new song.

That's a really good comparison - both in the music and the vocals. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5617 on: July 06, 2022, 11:05:05 AM »
Totally get it, specially because of TLT vocals, which are very similar to Ray’s in the Perfect Symmetry album.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:29:12 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5618 on: July 06, 2022, 11:43:02 AM »
In Extremis - I enjoyed it, but can’t remember anything about it after it finished. QR are a different beast than they were on those awesome first few albums, but a far better thing than we had for 15 years after that.

Online pg1067

« Reply #5619 on: July 07, 2022, 11:10:44 AM »

Interesting...

Perfect Symmetry (1989) came out a little more than a year after Operation: Mindcrime.  Empire was a year later (1990), and then Parallels a bit more than a year after that (1991).  Inside Out and Promised Land both came out in 1994 (with the former a few months before the latter).  I stopped buying new QR albums after PL (because I didn't like PL and then because Chris left).  I don't see much similarity between the referenced albums other than that Parallels, IO, Empire and PL were all more commercial than PS and O:M.  There's a HUGE brooding tone to PL that isn't present in Parallels and IO.  Obviously, FW went very proggy with APSOG, and there was also some brooding stuff.  While I rank Disconnected and FWX at the bottom of my FW rankings, if it's true that post-PL QR sounds like FW, then that's a signal to me that I should check out that material.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5620 on: July 07, 2022, 04:31:07 PM »
P,

I meant that the La Torre era (self-titled, Condition Human, The Verdict, and now the new tune) had a growing sense of sounding more like Perfect Symmetry-era Fates. Not the entirety of post-PL Queensryche.

Especially The Verdict and this new tune.

But no, not at all QR post-PL. Hope you've been well. Hoping to head down south for a show at some point next year. If it's something we both dig, would be nice to say hello.  :metal

Online pg1067

« Reply #5621 on: July 07, 2022, 04:36:15 PM »
P,

I meant that the La Torre era (self-titled, Condition Human, The Verdict, and now the new tune) had a growing sense of sounding more like Perfect Symmetry-era Fates. Not the entirety of post-PL Queensryche.

Especially The Verdict and this new tune.

All the more reason for me to check out material that, to this point, I haven't listened to.  I did listen to the new song once and thought it was pretty good, so....

Hoping to head down south for a show at some point next year. If it's something we both dig, would be nice to say hello.  :metal

That'd be great!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5622 on: July 08, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
Cross-posting this here - Freddie Vidales and Matt Barlow of Ashes of Ares have a short podcast with Andrew Peters, who is the current soundman for Queensryche.  He explains what his job entails while Queensryche is on tour or playing shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYWuajE6pY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5623 on: July 08, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »
Okay, so I might do Queensryche next in my top songs countdown series, and I would include only songs from the 80s and 90s (this is non-negotiable on my end).  I would likely shoot for a top 50 with them.   Anyone interested who would submit a top 50 list (see the first post in the current Maiden countdown for how I run them), quote this post and answer in the affirmative.  Looking for at least 15 peeps.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5624 on: July 08, 2022, 08:02:53 PM »
I would definitely be in. I would not be able to participate in the Porcupine Tree countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5625 on: July 08, 2022, 08:09:40 PM »
Okay, so I might do Queensryche next in my top songs countdown series, and I would include only songs from the 80s and 90s (this is non-negotiable on my end).  I would likely shoot for a top 50 with them.   Anyone interested who would submit a top 50 list (see the first post in the current Maiden countdown for how I run them), quote this post and answer in the affirmative.  Looking for at least 15 peeps.
Hmm, I was really looking forward to the Porcupine Tree list, but will definitely contribute to a Queensryche list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5626 on: July 08, 2022, 08:10:25 PM »
I'm in on Queensryche!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5627 on: July 08, 2022, 08:26:08 PM »
As far as the countdown goes, i just went through the albums up through HITNF, and I could only nominate 32 songs. I'll end up having songs that are just OK.

Honestly, QR's discography, while fairly vast, just isn't strong enough once you get past the first 4 albums.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5628 on: July 08, 2022, 08:33:50 PM »
The e.p.
The Warning
Rage For Order
Operation : Mindcrime
Promised Land

HITNF has 1 song I would rank. But a top 20 or 25 would be more practical Kev. (Just my opinion)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5629 on: July 08, 2022, 08:36:36 PM »
Hmmm, a shorter one could be nice after this marathon of a Maiden one. :lol

It would also only delay the PT one a little bit. 

Maybe a top 30 instead. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5630 on: July 08, 2022, 08:45:35 PM »
Hmmm, a shorter one could be nice after this marathon of a Maiden one. :lol

It would also only delay the PT one a little bit. 

Maybe a top 30 instead.

30 works perfectly. I was only saying 20-25 because The e.p. has 5 songs if you include Prophecy added later as a bonus track and The Warning 9 songs. I'm in no matter what you do.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5631 on: July 08, 2022, 08:48:39 PM »
I don't know. To do a countdown of a band, where only 4 of their albums are represented for a band that has 14 albums feels kind of cheesy to me. Kev..do Porcupine Tree instead.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5632 on: July 08, 2022, 08:58:24 PM »
I don't know. To do a countdown of a band, where only 4 of their albums are represented for a band that has 14 albums feels kind of cheesy to me. Kev..do Porcupine Tree instead.

Booo! No PT for me. You’re just mad because JBJ pitched the 9th.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:13:41 PM by Glasser »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5633 on: July 08, 2022, 09:01:02 PM »
50 would be fine. I would probably squeeze in 3-4 from HITNF.  And I’ve often been vocal about my love for TRSOMM…even though the rest of Q2Krap is terrible. Shocking that such an amazing song came from their 2nd worst album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #5634 on: July 08, 2022, 09:34:35 PM »
I’m in for sure. I’d prefer top 50 but cool with whatever number.