Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705827 times)

Offline Lupton

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4935 on: May 17, 2021, 06:18:37 PM »
Looks like Todd is also selling his Metallica Photo book. I mean the nerve of the guy!!  Quick, somebody better tell Lars.

[edit: looks like he got 5 of these]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metallica-The-Photographs-of-Ross-Halfin-by-Halfin-Ross-Paperback-Book/265110972331

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4936 on: May 17, 2021, 06:35:03 PM »
Not seeing the problem with Todd selling the sticks. Scott is being a douche, Todd said fuck this guy, and is selling the memorabilia that is now tainted in his eyes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4937 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36:25 PM »
I have no issue with Todd's retort to Scott.

What's becoming apparent is that everyone in this band appears to be an asshole. No wonder Chris Demargo bailed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4938 on: May 17, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
I have no issue with Todd's retort to Scott.

What's becoming apparent is that everyone in this band appears to be an asshole. No wonder Chris Demargo bailed.

This. The first thing I thought when reading all of this was “you know who’s both laughing harder, and rolling their eyes farther than us? Chris Fucking DeGarmo”.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4939 on: May 17, 2021, 07:57:18 PM »
As far as Todd taking over the band, I think it's just a case of him being the most comfortable talking with the press.  When Tate and DeGarmo were in the band, they seemed to do the bulk of interviews.  Right after Tate left, Wilton definitely stepped it up with the media.  However, after Todd was with them for a while, it appeared that he became the de facto mouthpiece of the band.

It would really be nice to know how the dynamics shifted within the band after Tate left.  On the first album with Todd, Scott had songwriting credits on 9 out of 11 compositions.  On Condition Human, he contributed to just 8 of the 15 songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4940 on: May 17, 2021, 08:19:17 PM »
What's too bad is that the Toddryche material has been excellent.

One of my major musical regrets was dismissing the Tony Martin Era Black Sabbath out of hand because I thought I was being insulted as a fan by them calling it Black Sabbath. But if they had called the band..I don't know..Eternal Idol or something, I'd have been way more receptive to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4941 on: May 17, 2021, 09:13:25 PM »
Not seeing the problem with Todd selling the sticks. Scott is being a douche, Todd said fuck this guy, and is selling the memorabilia that is now tainted in his eyes.

It's more the timing of it for me, not necessarily him selling them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4942 on: May 17, 2021, 09:14:39 PM »
One of my major musical regrets was dismissing the Tony Martin Era Black Sabbath out of hand because I thought I was being insulted as a fan by them calling it Black Sabbath. But if they had called the band..I don't know..Eternal Idol or something, I'd have been way more receptive to it.

I don't mind that actually but they were struggling at the time as it is, so not calling it Black Sabbath probably would have killed the band entirely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4943 on: May 17, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »

I don't mind that actually but they were struggling at the time as it is, so not calling it Black Sabbath probably would have killed the band entirely.

True, but the big difference there is that the Black Sabbath brand has never been severely weakened, so there was much to gain by calling it that.

In the case of Queensryche, their brand is so badly damaged that there can't be much benefit to using the name.  I mean, if Rockenfield tours on the Q3 name, I am guessing, what, 233 people show up instead of 211 because it is called Queensryche? 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4944 on: May 18, 2021, 12:05:55 AM »
As...roughed up and diluted as the QR name is, particularly with Tate out there, and now the Rockenfield drama, the Queensryche brand is still a valuable one. It DOES matter. That's why Tate and EJ/MW/SR fought for it in the first place and settled with Tate to buy him out of his share of it. Promoters will pay for "Queensryche." They weren't going to pay for "Rising West."

This whole situation is probably a lot deeper than most people know. There's always some underlying issue, often dealing with money. I'd be speaking out of turn if I took some educated guesses on where this supposed "rift" is between Todd and Scott, or Scott and Queensryche. I do have some ideas. But I tend to look at changes, both artistic and financially. If you sniff around for long enough and connect the dots, you'll often find the bone of contention.

Simply put, what Scott seems to be trying to do (either having a QR of his own, or whatever his endgame is) is...ridiculous. Equally ridiculous is the singer taking a shot in response to him on social media. Pick up the damn phone and act like adults. Obviously, there are issues. Hash them out. Find a resolution in private, no matter how deep the issues are. But apparently they are unwilling or unable to do that.

In the end, the "legacy" (what's left of it) is damaged by whatever it is that is going on. Although I highly doubt DeGarmo is laughing as was suggested by someone above (more like thanking his lucky stars he bailed a long time ago and sold off his publishing), I'm sure Tate's chomping on some popcorn, as the longer this continues, it will likely drive more people to see him perform if QR and Scott end up competing under similar brand names. After all, Tate is performing Empire in-full (beating QR to the punch), Rage in-full (beating QR to the punch - its the 35th anniversary of that record now) and of course, his exclusive right to perform Mindcrime in its entirety. This stuff sells tickets. promoters pay more to the artist because of it. Nostalgia is a HUGE market, and Tate is in the pole position when it comes to Queensryche music. And Scott's actions are going to make it even better for Tate.

What a cluster fuck.

*edited to fix release anniversary of RFO.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:16:24 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4945 on: May 18, 2021, 08:03:17 AM »
I won't argue that QR is a valuable name but I wonder how much of its value diminishes as these fractures and side bands take hold. If they could get the original QR lineup back together (except say CDG) that would be the most profitable tour they can hope to muster, but even that happened through some miracle they'd probably screw that up.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4946 on: May 18, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
What's too bad is that the Toddryche material has been excellent.

exactly bro     really what Toddryche is is Rising West and NOT QR IMO , they hurt themselves with the name QR but they couldnt get booked without the QR name , much like Ripper JP and Blaze IM.. is not JP or IM IMO
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:22:01 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4947 on: May 18, 2021, 06:16:36 PM »
All you’re doing is reminding me that The X Factor and Jugulator are in the all time top 5 of their respective bands.

The follow ups to those albums however... :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :\ :\ :yeahright
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4948 on: May 18, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »
Just following this thread for the LOLs, but wanted to say I went to one of those Rising West shows in.... I have no idea what year that was. I am a moderate QR fan at best, but I thoroughly enjoyed that show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

« Reply #4949 on: May 18, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
Just following this thread for the LOLs, but wanted to say I went to one of those Rising West shows in.... I have no idea what year that was. I am a moderate QR fan at best, but I thoroughly enjoyed that show.

The year was 2012.  I remember because so many people were howling about the end of the world.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4950 on: May 18, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »
All you’re doing is reminding me that The X Factor and Jugulator are in the all time top 5 of their respective bands.

This guy gets it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4951 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »

This guy gets it.

Well, close. I would actually go with Demolition. I, personally, think it to be much better than Jugulator.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4952 on: May 18, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
I love Virtual XI. Never understood the anti-hype behind that one.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4953 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:05 PM »
I like it too. It isn't their best album, but to insinuate that those songs suck is crazy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4954 on: May 18, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »
Both VXI and Demolition have their moments, moreso VXI, but both IMO were big steps backwards from TXF and Jug.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4955 on: May 18, 2021, 08:23:57 PM »
This kind of comment "is no longer the band X without the guy Z" always reminds me of a joke that a friend made, seriously saying that Iron Maiden without Dennis Stratton was no longer Iron Maiden.  :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4956 on: May 18, 2021, 08:32:12 PM »
This kind of comment "is no longer the band X without the guy Z" always reminds me of a joke that a friend made, seriously saying that Iron Maiden without Dennis Stratton was no longer Iron Maiden.  :lol

I once saw a similar joke in reference to the Yes album Fly From Here: "no Peter banks, no Yes" :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4957 on: May 18, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »

Rush without John Rutsey is no longer Rush!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4958 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
Majesty without Chris Collins is no longer....well then it became Dream Theater!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4959 on: May 18, 2021, 08:44:29 PM »
Majesty without Chris Collins is no longer....well then it became Dream Theater!  :biggrin:

Exactly ...see. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4960 on: May 18, 2021, 08:58:55 PM »
I love Virtual XI. Never understood the anti-hype behind that one.

VXI is like Chinese water torture.

At first, you think “This isn’t so bad. I don’t see what all the fuss is about.” But then time begins to loose all meaning. Minutes turn to hours and then weeks....and then it happens.

....after the 48th repeat of Don’t Look to the Eyes of a Stranger, something snaps in your mind and you hear someone sobbing only to realize that someone is you. Reality starts to come undone and you’re no longer certain of your own sanity. You start squeezing your own testicles as hard as you can in an effort to keep some grasp on what’s real...and the pain brings a new sense of clarity...along with the growing dread that if this doesn’t end soon, even that pain won’t be enough...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4961 on: May 18, 2021, 09:04:43 PM »
J-Dude, Don't Look is awesome. That instrumental part at the end is amazing. Sure the Don't Look To is repeated a bit..a bit a bit a bit, but I like the song overall.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4962 on: May 18, 2021, 09:19:10 PM »
Yeah and the "Don't Look" section actually slowly grows intensity as it goes along. I've always enjoyed the build-up.  If Bruce were singing it would simply be regarded as yet another reunion era song with an overly repetitious chorus.

[late edit: guitar tone on this record isn't that great but most of the songs are solid]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:24:41 PM by Lupton »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4963 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
I see the vocals as more of an instrument in that section, adding to the dynamics rather than forcing itself to the forefront with lyrical prowess. In that context, I don't see it much differently than a repeated guitar riff, which I don't think would garner the same kind of controversy if that were used in its place.

It's the same with the buildup of The Angel & The Gambler. It's just used as another instrument to build dynamic, so it's fine. The part where it does the call & response with the guitar licks towards the end is much worse, because that one isn't building up to anything so its ending isn't as clearly in sight. But then again, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4964 on: May 18, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
Obviously I was attempting over dramatization in an attempt at humor, but I guess it fell flat.

....but ya. The reason most people hate is because the repetition which was starting to get a bit lazy but tolerable since SiT, just became ludicrous on VXI. Obviously YMMV.

The reason I think AMOLAD is the best reunion album is directly because I feel the repetition is the least prominent on that album as compared to the rest of the reunion era.

But this is is probably for the Maiden thread

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4965 on: May 18, 2021, 10:13:23 PM »
Don't Look To is no worse than Brave New World or Dream of Mirrors.  I know they were leftovers anyway but as said, if Bruce sung the song, I don't think it would be looked down on as much.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4966 on: May 18, 2021, 10:57:14 PM »
Don't Look To is no worse than Brave New World or Dream of Mirrors.  I know they were leftovers anyway but as said, if Bruce sung the song, I don't think it would be looked down on as much.

This is the exact reason I don’t hold BNW in as high regard as many others do. I was excited about the reunion, but ultimately disappointed with the execution (strictly because of the overuse of repetition)

AMOLAD won me back

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4967 on: May 18, 2021, 11:06:59 PM »
Nothing better than the poster child for a Steve Harris chorus:

Don't you think I'm a savior?
Don't you think I could save you?
Don't you think I could save your life?

Don't you think I could save your life? (Hmm)

Don't you think I could save your life? (Hmm) x1,000

I actually like that song, but I had to do a custom edit to remove some 4 or 5 minutes of the above on repeat.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4968 on: May 19, 2021, 12:35:34 AM »
There's an excellent single edit out there which was well done of TAATG.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4969 on: May 19, 2021, 02:26:29 AM »

Not sure if Bruce could have saved the song, but the fact that he is a far better singer than Blaze would have made it at least more tolerable imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D