Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704713 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4515 on: February 04, 2021, 03:10:24 PM »
Opinions are always fascinating to me because I think Todd is the best thing to happen to QR since they parted ways with Geoff Tate, which was LONG overdue.  The last 3 albums with him are the best music they've released in 20 years

I agree the music is great, but I don’t care for his style of vocals.

Curious peoples opinion on whether it was Tate getting kicked to the curb or the addition of Todd which turned the band around musically.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:10:50 PM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4516 on: February 04, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
Yes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4517 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
Opinions are always fascinating to me because I think Todd is the best thing to happen to QR since they parted ways with Geoff Tate, which was LONG overdue.  The last 3 albums with him are the best music they've released in 20 years

Curious peoples opinion on whether it was Tate getting kicked to the curb or the addition of Todd which turned the band around musically.

to me IMO  they are no longer QR,,..  some may like what it is now but as fan since 1982 they dont feel or sound like QR,  QR was magical  whatever they are now is generic to my ears  so I see no turn around , they made more money with Tate and had a very loyal fan base with Tate ,  nobody from my old friends cares about them anymore.    most my age would maybe want to see Tate do OMC and thats about all  IMO
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4518 on: February 04, 2021, 09:50:27 PM »
heres the new Sweet Oblivion track, very uninspiring....

https://youtu.be/Eax-jFaAkoA
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #4519 on: February 05, 2021, 02:17:46 AM »

I'd say 60% Tate getting kicked to the curb and 40% Todd.

Tate was the one who'd suppressed Wilton's contributions going all the way back to Promised Land. Once you bring back Wilton's contributions (writing and arrangements), and guitar tones, the music actually sounds like QR again.

Todd's got some impressive vocal chops and sounds way better than Tate has since they recorded Tribe, and I would say sounds better on some of the pre-R4O songs than Tate ever did. Todd often seems to struggle on Mindcrime/Empire era material that clearly stresses the control he has singing through the registers that Tate was a master of, and even latter day Tate waddling around the stage like a penguin after one too many fishes (and sounding like it too...) has more stage presence than Todd will ever have.

However, Todd's voice was new to the wider world so they never risked sounding like, for example, Queen Theater, he's a fan of the band's earlier days and seems to be really happy to be part of Queensryche in a way that an established journeyman vocalist might not. His writing fits the bill about as well as you could probably hope for too... I just wish they could rope DeGarmo in to, if nothing else, give the lyrics a once over to avoid the slightly clumsy lines that look better on paper than they sound sung.

Overall, whilst I feel like they could've done better than Todd in some ways (stage craft being the biggie) I'd say Todd injected some much needed energy back into the band and I think the end result is about as good as it could've been.

I'm happy with them where they are now with Wilton back at the level of prominence he should always have been.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4520 on: February 05, 2021, 08:30:28 AM »
^All of that.  And they kind of lucked out with having Parker in the band as well, as someone who also respected the early era of the band and truly put in the work to respect DeGarmo's playing and sound on that classic material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4521 on: February 05, 2021, 08:47:09 AM »
heres the new Sweet Oblivion track, very uninspiring....

https://youtu.be/Eax-jFaAkoA

odd   but Tate likes to be unusual and artsy, I like it, Not sure I love it but its interesting
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4522 on: February 05, 2021, 08:58:48 AM »
Although I know what T-ski is getting at about "turning the band around musically," honestly, when you step back and look at the catalog objectively, the answer becomes a lot murkier. Although I'll give my opinion at the end of the post.

With DeGarmo, the band had a songwriting evolution. People may not have liked that evolution, but you hear a progression of songwriting from the EP-HITNF, and again with Tribe (particularly the songs that featured DeGarmo as a co-writer), that sounds like the same band. To me, THAT is Queensryche, that progression of songwriting that came in the form of DeGarmo and Tate, with a strong third man in Wilton in the 80s (and less so in the 90s). Rush is a band that very much changed throughout its 40 years, but still sounded like Rush. Queensryche, in its original form, was doing the same.

Opinions vary of course, but for my money, that continued evolution and the distinctiveness of those five guys and what they bring to the table (Scott has a very distinct, Rush-inspired flavor to his playing) really is "Queensryche."

When Geoff was fired and Todd was brought on, I think it's pretty notable to see that La Torre/Wilton wasn't the mainstay of the songwriting. It's VERY spread out. Eddie and Scott took a much larger role, and Parker, now, has grown as well. In a way, the band has de-evolved back to the early 90s, and has started forging a new path from Empire.

And I think that path has less to do with Wilton (who again, his playing, riffs and leads are very distinct and a key part of the QR sound), and more to do with La Torre helping frame the direction a bit. I mean, if you've heard his solo album, you see the metal he is capable of, so he's reigned in a bit in Queensryche to focus on that melodic, psuedo-progressive hard rock sound.  But he's also said a number of times to me in those first few years of being in the band "that's too heavy for Queensryche." So in a way, I think it really has been La Torre who has been pushing the band to get heavier and heavier, but being conscious of that fine line of who Eddie and Michael are as players and the back catalog music.

In short, I'd say it is more La Torre's joining than Tate's firing that has pushed QR to where it is musically. I don't really hear a lot of songwriting evolution from Wilton. His riffs and leads are very much what he's always done from 1983-1990. And that's not a knock on Whip at all -- I'm just saying he is who he is as a writer and a player. Eddie has injected some more songwriting, and Parker has a little, but in total, to me, it's La Torre injecting his creative presence which has steered the band down the path they are now.

When you hear a Whip lead, there is this whiff of classic Queensryche. But other than that, it truly sounds like a different band to my ears these days. And that's not a criticism, that's what they should do. But if you like what you are hearing, I think the credit has to go to La Torre, as opposed to simply firing Tate. Had the band gotten a non-musician singer, I'm not sure they really would have gone down the path they have.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4523 on: February 05, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
Yeah, that's a pretty solid take.

When Geoff was fired and Todd was brought on, I think it's pretty notable to see that La Torre/Wilton wasn't the mainstay of the songwriting. It's VERY spread out. Eddie and Scott took a much larger role, and Parker, now, has grown as well. In a way, the band has de-evolved back to the early 90s, and has started forging a new path from Empire.

I agree with the overall point here.  I just don't like the word "de-volved" in this context.  And that is simply because I feel like that term is more apropos to where Geoff was taking the music after DeGarmo left.  The first few albums, their sound was all over the place.  And at first, it felt like, "yeah, typical QR, experimenting with different sounds and doing something pretty different from album to album."  But it eventually just became apparent that Tate was steering the ship, and just didn't know how to write like the band used to write.  The sound was devolving during that era of the band.  (and that's not a slam on Slater--he was probably the best thing to happen to the band during that era as far as trying to get them to "sound like Queensryche")  To me, their sound and writing took a huge leap forward in the LaTorre era from where it was during the Tate-Ryche years.  But you're right that it did, in many ways, try to "go back in time" to that DeGarmo era.

But I don't think we are really saying anything different in the grand scheme of things.  I just don't like that word in comparing their modern sound to the Tate-Ryche era, because I think they definitely moved upward from that.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4524 on: February 05, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
to me IMO  they are no longer QR,,..  some may like what it is now but as fan since 1982 they dont feel or sound like QR,  QR was magical  whatever they are now is generic to my ears  so I see no turn around
As opposed to Dedicated to Chaos or Frequency Unknown?  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4525 on: February 05, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
to me IMO  they are no longer QR,,..  some may like what it is now but as fan since 1982 they dont feel or sound like QR,  QR was magical  whatever they are now is generic to my ears  so I see no turn around

I like 80% of FU  and 50% of DtC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4526 on: February 05, 2021, 11:15:05 AM »
So therefore, they sound like QR?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4527 on: February 05, 2021, 11:52:25 AM »

well Tates voice is a very strong if not defining element of the QR sound...Like Plant, Bowie, Mercury or Tyler etc defining their bands sound.   DtC if one looks is a collaborative effort so to me it was a progression and and snap shot of the time and society.  much like many dont like HITNF ( I do a lot )  but the new Toddsryche simply does not have any feel like that IMO . Wilton and Jackson certainly dont define the QR sound at all IMO .

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4528 on: February 05, 2021, 02:21:59 PM »

I agree with the overall point here.  I just don't like the word "de-volved" in this context.  And that is simply because I feel like that term is more apropos to where Geoff was taking the music after DeGarmo left.  The first few albums, their sound was all over the place.  And at first, it felt like, "yeah, typical QR, experimenting with different sounds and doing something pretty different from album to album."  But it eventually just became apparent that Tate was steering the ship, and just didn't know how to write like the band used to write.  The sound was devolving during that era of the band.  (and that's not a slam on Slater--he was probably the best thing to happen to the band during that era as far as trying to get them to "sound like Queensryche")  To me, their sound and writing took a huge leap forward in the LaTorre era from where it was during the Tate-Ryche years.  But you're right that it did, in many ways, try to "go back in time" to that DeGarmo era.

But I don't think we are really saying anything different in the grand scheme of things.  I just don't like that word in comparing their modern sound to the Tate-Ryche era, because I think they definitely moved upward from that.

Poor choice of words on my part about "de-volved." What I basically meant was, Queensryche, when La Torre joined, cut off everything essentially after Empire (TLT didn't even know the PL tunes when he joined the band), and restarted the band from the perspective of "what should we do that moves forward after Empire?"

That was what I meant. It's like if you cut the last 20 years of your life off, go back to what you were, and then take a different path. The problem is (at least for me, in regarding to my enjoyment of the QR catalog), I think Promised Land and HITNF are very necessary and very natural evolution of Queensryche's songwriting. They change, just like Rush changed.

It's really hard to explain, because obviously, once Chris left, they had a new engine of sorts in Kelly, that lasted a record, then CHris came back for half a record, and then Tate took over with Slater. It's like their songwriting evolution was stopped, re-started briefly, stopped again, and then it just became "whatever songs Geoff likes will be 'queensryche.'"

Then Todd came, and it reset everything back to Empire, branching off from that point.  Honestly, even typing all that made my head spin.

But I wasn't calling the Gray and Tateryche eras (Q2k, then Mindcrime II - Dedicated to Chaos) part of that songwriting evolution. I was referring specifically to the EP-HITNF and half of Tribe.

And when Todd joined, the band sort of retconned everything they did as if Empire was the last record, and restarted from there. And from that point, I give TLT the credit of reshaping the sound of the band from there, because once you got the self-titled (sounded very much like an Empire sequel), Condition Human (things changing) and The Verdict (without Scott, the feel is different, and the record does not sound like older Queensryche, which is normal and fine, except for when you hear Wilton, and you hear that familiar style).

In a long winded way, I was crediting La Torre with helping steer the post-Tate era of the band into something different than what Queensryche once was.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4529 on: February 05, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »

well Tates voice is a very strong if not defining element of the QR sound...Like Plant, Bowie, Mercury or Tyler etc defining their bands sound.   DtC if one looks is a collaborative effort so to me it was a progression and and snap shot of the time and society.  much like many dont like HITNF ( I do a lot )  but the new Toddsryche simply does not have any feel like that IMO . Wilton and Jackson certainly dont define the QR sound at all IMO .

Longest post ever from EPICVIEW! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4530 on: February 05, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »
Tate's voice was a defining element, but far from the only one. It's quite easy to tell the difference between his solo albums and what classic QR is.

While he wasn't as prolific as DeGarmo (especially beginning with PL), I disagree with the assessment that Wilton did nothing to define QR's sound. During the most significant period where QR established themselves and defined their sound, he was solely responsible for all the music to:
Nightrider
Blinded
Warning
Deliverance
Before the Storm
Child of Fire
I Dream in Infrared
Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion)
Revolution Calling
Speak
Spreading the Disease
The Needle Lies
My Empty Room
Empire
Resistance

Nevermind the other songs where he co-wrote with DeGarmo during that same period. Sure, not all of those songs above are the classics we think of immediately in what defines QR's sound, but certainly most of the songs on O:M and that little ditty called Empire are.

The stuff on DtC and FU sounds nothing remotely like that classic QR or nor does it have the underlying vibe that classic QR had. Noteworthy is the fact that neither album has a single Wilton writing credit. ;)  OTOH, the albums with Todd pick up where they left off with Empire - especially that first album with Todd, which happens to be full of co-writing credits with Wilton. Hmmmm.......  ::)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4531 on: February 05, 2021, 07:26:21 PM »
Anyone listen to Todd's album yet? I have it ordered (being delivered Monday), but I just ran through it on Spotify.

First thoughts... It is heavy AF. Holy shit!

This album has way more in common with testament than it does with Queensryche. He goes into his Tate voice a few times, but the rest? Yikes!

After ONE listen, my main criticism is that it leaves me kind of cold. I was worried after the first three songs because other than the heaviness, I wasn't really feeling it. This album is short on vocal melodies. Darkened Majesty is a great song, and things start to look up at that point.

It does sound like a Halford meets Testament meets Barlow album. Todd goes way up Halford high, but honestly, I don't really connect with that. It's high to be high. Like I said, this album needs some vocal melodies.

The final (bonus) track, One By One has a great heavy intro, and features harshy vocals from Todd.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4532 on: February 05, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »
Hmmm.....Halford/Testament/Barlow sounds good but I know what you mean mate from the first three songs released.  I had a feeling it's lasting power may be short lived but I'm keen to hear it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4533 on: February 05, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
Hmmm.....Halford/Testament/Barlow sounds good but I know what you mean mate from the first three songs released.  I had a feeling it's lasting power may be short lived but I'm keen to hear it.

There are a bunch of really good tunes, and it is METAL for sure. Just gotta find the grooves because there aren't many hooks on this album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4534 on: February 05, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »
Listening to Todd's album now. Super heavy. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm also confused. Someone earlier mentioned something about programmed drums. Todd is a drummer by trade. He played drums on the last QR album and he played drums on this album. Very baffled by that comment.

Anyway, I'm not missing vocal melodies and whatnot. I'm digging the heaviness and it sounds good to me. He's really showing some vocal chops on this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4535 on: February 05, 2021, 11:51:40 PM »
re: Wilton

He absolutely helped define QR's sound. Not sure how any Queensryche fan could feel otherwise. His hands are all over the band's 80s metal years. Operation: Mindcrime would have been a very different album without Wilton, imo.

Through the 80s, it was a creative trinity between DeGarmo-Wilton-Tate. Tate gravitated more toward Chris over time, likely because DeGarmo was going other places with his songwriting, which was likely inspiring him more. But anyone not giving Michael Wilton his due as helping define QR's sound needs to go re-examine the band's catalog.  ::)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4536 on: February 06, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »

I'm also confused. Someone earlier mentioned something about programmed drums. Todd is a drummer by trade. He played drums on the last QR album and he played drums on this album. Very baffled by that comment.

Anyway, I'm not missing vocal melodies and whatnot. I'm digging the heaviness and it sounds good to me. He's really showing some vocal chops on this.

It’s not that they were programmed as much as the sounds themselves were either replaced or he used an electronic kit to trigger a sample library.  I would bet the latter.  It’s his performance on the drums, I don’t doubt that, but the sounds and the mix of the drums is definitely a preset from either Slate Trigger or one of the Toontrack products. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4537 on: February 06, 2021, 01:12:18 PM »

It’s not that they were programmed as much as the sounds themselves were either replaced or he used an electronic kit to trigger a sample library.  I would bet the latter.  It’s his performance on the drums, I don’t doubt that, but the sounds and the mix of the drums is definitely a preset from either Slate Trigger or one of the Toontrack products.

Ah, yes, I get it. Yeah, triggers are getting to be the norm in a lot of heavier music and I really hate that. I agree after listening to the album. He probably was using triggers. Triggers make the drums so lifeless. I'll never understand their popularity.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4538 on: February 06, 2021, 05:06:52 PM »

Ah, yes, I get it. Yeah, triggers are getting to be the norm in a lot of heavier music and I really hate that. I agree after listening to the album. He probably was using triggers. Triggers make the drums so lifeless. I'll never understand their popularity.

It’s a popularity due to price and convenience.  Recording acoustic drums in a good space with good mics, good gear and a good engineer is expensive and time consuming.  An electronic kit connected to a computer through a usb cable with a good virtual drum instrument is much, much cheaper and way more convenient.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4539 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:09 AM »
IMO Tates voice, followed by Chris's artistry and ability to "have less do more" as far as melody and structure, along with Scotts drumming is what defines the real QR sound, and I believe Tates ability to emote and be the character of the albums along with his amazing voice is what made QR outstanding.
does anyone really think QR as configured today could ever do a whole acoustic show?  does anyone think Wilton could pull it off or Todd?  time waits for no one and its no crime that Tate is getting older., to me Wilton was the weakest player the original lineup and his playing has never been the defining sound at all.  The band is in some ways lucky to have Todd as he works and has taken the band over and I know thats what the other guys need even if they say otherwise. IMO as always
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:20:41 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4540 on: February 08, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »

I think it was a combination of the two.  Tate had become more of a liability than an asset.  Todd brought new energy and 1/100th of the ego and I think it really shines through in the quality of the 3 albums he's been involved with which, to me, are VASTLY superior to the three albums that came before it.

Unfortunately, I can't say I care for Todd's solo album at all so far.  The vocals are screechy and weirdly mixed and the music is kind of bland and repetitive, like it's the same riff only a two or three note difference from song to song.  In fairness I have not made it through the entire album yet so it could get better after the 4th track but if the rest of the album is like the first 4 tracks it's gonna be a hard pass from me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4541 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't say I care for Todd's solo album at all so far.  The vocals are screechy and weirdly mixed and the music is kind of bland and repetitive, like it's the same riff only a two or three note difference from song to song.  In fairness I have not made it through the entire album yet so it could get better after the 4th track but if the rest of the album is like the first 4 tracks it's gonna be a hard pass from me.

I thought the first three tracks were not very good. The 4th track is excellent, and it does get better from there. Not a ton better, but better.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4542 on: February 08, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
Maybe I'll begin listening from Track #4 tomorrow morning.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4543 on: February 08, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »
Maybe I'll begin listening from Track #4 tomorrow morning.

That's where my second listen started! ;D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4544 on: February 08, 2021, 07:30:55 PM »

I think it was a combination of the two.  Tate had become more of a liability than an asset.  Todd brought new energy and 1/100th of the ego and I think it really shines through in the quality of the 3 albums he's been involved with which, to me, are VASTLY superior to the three albums that came before it.

I agree  and I do not like Todds solo stuff.,yea its heavy but its so IDK, passe' so overdone and trying too hard,  IDk ... granted I simply dont like his voice anyway or his style or delivery and live hes simply hard to watch and amaturish, IMO     to my ears ive never heard any Tate roundness or grandeur and tate owns the stage but he is getting older now for sure, makes one really respect Halfords longevity and magnificence.  I more and more feel Toddsryche would be better off losing the QR name but they need it to survive.  again its whats more Dokken?  Don Dokken or Lynch Mob?,   to me its Don
Its also kinda like Creed and Stapp  vs Alter Bridge  and Myles ,  I could never see Myles replacing Scott but as Alter Bridge it works as its whole other band vibe and sound and Scotts solo stuff gives one the Creed fill as Scott has that emotion that Creed gave. Myles much like Todd today has a bigger louder voice but to me Ill take Scott and Tate all day as its more rewarding and fulfilling    of course MY OPINION only
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:45:35 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #4545 on: February 09, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »
Anyone listen to Todd's album yet? I have it ordered (being delivered Monday), but I just ran through it on Spotify.

Yeah... initial impression wasn't great - first few tracks are probably the weakest - but now I've run through the whole thing a few times I'm really enjoying it.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #4546 on: February 09, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »
Tate's voice was a defining element, but far from the only one. It's quite easy to tell the difference between his solo albums and what classic QR is.

Tate's voice also evolved (...then devolved) over the years to the point where I doubt someone who doesn't know QR would recognise the voice on The Warning and on D2C (actually, probably as early as Q2k) as the same singer.

While he wasn't as prolific as DeGarmo (especially beginning with PL), I disagree with the assessment that Wilton did nothing to define QR's sound. During the most significant period where QR established themselves and defined their sound, he was solely responsible for all the music to...

I think you can add to the list a few others that're DeGarmo/Wilton, such as Surgical Strike and One And Only (despite the personal lyrics) where I'm guessing DeGarmo just did lyrics as per the songs on the EP. There's also an old interview on Headbanger's Ball after Empire was released where Tate admits to the lyric writing being split about 50/50... which, based on overall credits, suggests that on a few DeGarmo/Tate/Wilton songs DeGarmo's credit might've only been for collaborating on lyrics as opposed to, say, The Thin Line, where DeGarmo just used a Wilton riff to get a full piece.

Then there's that Wilton was the gear head of him and DeGarmo so I would bet he was responsible for crafting guitar tones even if it was at DeGarmo's direction at times.

I'm not trying to diminish Tate's importance to QR, nor DeGarmo's, but Wilton was a huge part of the EP-Empire period that established QR (and if that's where their career ends they're my favourite band, without question) and I'm just really happy to now be getting what is essentially "his" QR after years of the lobotomised QR Tate was presenting through Kelly Gray and Jason Slater.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4547 on: February 09, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
Cruithne nailed it on Wilton.

He was absolutely vital through Queensryche's most successful record. A huge part of what gave the band its signature musical style and sound. Good point as well on being a gearhead. So was Chris, but Michael gravitated toward gear and tones, and Chris branched out playing other instruments and on working on his songwriting. They really were the perfect pair (no disrespect intended to Kelly Gray, Mike Stone, or Parker Lundgren).

Not sure I agree with Cruithne about people not recognizing Tate's voice though. I mean if you play "The Lady Wore Black" or "No Sanctuary" where Tate slows down a bit, and then put on something like "At the Edge" or "Right Side of My Mind," I'm not sure how you can't not know it's the same singer.

Yes, Tate's voice changed, but it's still very distinctive. No one really sounds like him. His musical influences helped shape how DeGarmo would take what he and Michael wrote and present it Tate and the other guys.

But as for Wilton, spot on. The guy had a huge hand molding the QR sound from 82-90.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4548 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:19 PM »
Nobody can deny how awesome Geoff is from 82-94. If I was to play classic hard rock/metal songs to someone who wasn’t familiar with the genre and I wanted to impress them, Geoff from that time period is on the extremely short list on who I would pick. I agree with Brian that with the later songs you can always tell it’s the same singer, but it’s just not the same. I might say that 82-94 Tate singing is someone where you stop what you are doing and listen intently. After that time period you might just listen and say to yourself this is a pretty good singer and continue with what you’re doing.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4549 on: February 09, 2021, 07:34:27 PM »
FYI, besides Geoff, I might also play Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules to someone not familiar with the genre