Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705850 times)

alterationx0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gazinwales

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4445 on: January 07, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »
Todd is back with another heavy song:
https://youtu.be/G4KZuLxtv74
Reminds me a bit of Halford's self titled debut album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4446 on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:54 PM »
Yeah sounds like Crucible

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4447 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »
Building An Empire: The Story Of Queensr˙che is an unauthorized account, featuring interviews with the band members themselves...

Question from an individual ignorant on the subject.... what would it take for this bio (or any bio, for that matter) to be considered "authorized?"  Does Queensryche Inc, or whatever the corporate entity of Queensryche is, have to submit in writing "Yes, we authorize this biography"?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4448 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only person who immediately thought of Resurrection/Crucible era Halford with this one.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4449 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:59 PM »
Yikes that’s a heavy song

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4450 on: January 07, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
Reminds me of Overkill. He's channeling that Blitz screech.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4451 on: January 07, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
That style of singing is admittedly not normally my thing, but his singing in that almost sounds cartoon-ish.  Can I have those three minutes back?  :lol :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4452 on: January 07, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »
I’m going to take a wild guess and say that this is the sound that Todd would like Queensryche to have, or something similar.  But Michael said not a chance.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4453 on: January 07, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »
That style of singing is admittedly not normally my thing, but his singing in that almost sounds cartoon-ish.  Can I have those three minutes back?  :lol :biggrin:

I thought the song was really repetitive. But, that's just me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline emtee

« Reply #4454 on: January 08, 2021, 02:35:38 AM »
Unfortunately that was a big "meh" for me. Doesn't showcase his vocal ability. Repetitive and derivative of every thrash song ever. Also, totally forgettable solo. If you love thrash though, you'll enjoy it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4455 on: January 08, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
I don't really hear the Halford solo thing in this.  I'm more with Ben and hear more Overkill maybe some Metal Church too.  Nevertheless, I like it.  Shaping up to be a nice album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #4456 on: January 08, 2021, 05:48:33 AM »
Unfortunately that was a big "meh" for me. Doesn't showcase his vocal ability. Repetitive and derivative of every thrash song ever. Also, totally forgettable solo. If you love thrash though, you'll enjoy it.

Discerning thrash fans certainly don’t enjoy everything put under that label. Far from it. That’s like saying “if you like pop you’ll like this” no matter how bad it is.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4457 on: January 10, 2021, 09:56:33 AM »
Building An Empire: The Story Of Queensr˙che is an unauthorized account, featuring interviews with the band members themselves...

Question from an individual ignorant on the subject.... what would it take for this bio (or any bio, for that matter) to be considered "authorized?"  Does Queensryche Inc, or whatever the corporate entity of Queensryche is, have to submit in writing "Yes, we authorize this biography"?

Something like that. It usually is a little more detailed. When you do an authorized account, the current members do exclusive interviews specifically for the book, they and their management can negotiate changes to the book (more red tape). We've reached out to the band about that, and about doing some interviews and haven't heard back yet. That doesn't mean we won't hear something between now and when we finalize the book. To be frank, it really doesn't matter to us, either way. In some way, it's better with Queensryche to have a book that isn't "authorized," because they've generally been very tight-lipped about their affairs over the years. Unauthorized bios may not have the band's "stamp of approval," but they are often more revealing and in-depth, which we believe our book is. And honestly, we don't really need "new interviews" with any of them to write it. There's more than enough historic material.

James, Brian Naron and I really put a focus on telling the story, presenting the facts, and let the reader decide some things. We discuss everything, but like any good bio, we don't tell you what the truth is -- you can read and determine what you believe. Some things look rosy, some don't. But we've tried to present the story as completely as possible, and keep a positive light on the band as much as we could. Some negativity is unavoidable -- not everyone comes off squeaky clean. But we focused on being very objective, putting the facts out there, and writing to a theme about perseverance, which is the one word that came up between the three of us when describing Queensryche over their 40-year career.

We've got some really cool (and surprising) exclusive interviews for the book from friends, family members and people who have worked with QR, along with a mountain of material from interviews the guys have done over the years. If you've read the Van Halen: Rising book, by Greg Renoff -- https://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-Rising-Southern-California/dp/1770412638/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3CCVZUS9UKLXA&dchild=1&keywords=van+halen+rising+book -- that's basically the model we used for writing the Queensryche book. With our own twists, of course.

Once we hit a couple of other milestones for the book -- pre-orders, some social media stuff, finalizing the cover, etc., etc., I'll update the thread here. Appreciate everyone's interest. Thanks!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline emtee

« Reply #4458 on: January 10, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »

Discerning thrash fans certainly don’t enjoy everything put under that label. Far from it. That’s like saying “if you like pop you’ll like this” no matter how bad it is.

It wasn't intended as a dis. Sorry if it came across that way. I should have said, 'if you like thrash, you'll probably like This. Better?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4459 on: January 10, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
I have something to share with my fellow Queensryche fans on here. The pandemic didn't necessarily leave a lot of free time on my hands, but enough to take part in this project I am co-authoring with two friends of mine.

:)

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                           
Dec. 30, 2020                        

nwmetalworxmusic@gmail.com

NW Metalworx Music to Publish First Queensr˙che Biography

TACOMA, WASHINGTON — For almost 40 years, Queensr˙che has been hailed as one of the forefathers of American progressive hard rock and metal music. But the band’s complete story has never been told—until now. NW Metalworx Music is proud to announce it will publish the first-ever Queensr˙che biography in late 2021, as part of the NW Metalworx book line.

Written by James R. Beach, with Brian L. Naron and Brian J. Heaton, Building An Empire: The Story Of Queensr˙che, takes a deep dive on Queensr˙che, from its original members’ musical beginnings in the high schools of suburban Seattle, to the group’s rise to stardom in the 1990s. The book will cover how Queensr˙che evolved from album to album, the various events that led to the band’s fracture and declining popularity, and the amazing heavy metal revival period Queensr˙che has enjoyed over the last several years.

Paul Suter, the acclaimed writer from Kerrang! who broke Queensr˙che’s story in early 1983, will write the tome’s Foreword. Heaton, the founder of AnybodyListening.net, a historical retrospective on Queensr˙che’s original lineup, penned the Afterword.

Beach and Naron are fresh off publishing Rusted Metal, their mammoth 900-plus page guide to hard rock and heavy metal bands from 1970-1995 in the Pacific Northwest. Heaton joins the duo for the foray into Queensr˙che’s past, serving as one of the band’s unofficial historians over the past quarter-century.

“We were looking for the next book to write and were shocked to discover no one had told Queensr˙che’s story,” said Beach. “For us, it was a no-brainer to tackle their rich history, especially off the work we did researching the band for Rusted Metal.”

“As we finished Rusted Metal, James and I realized we had so much more to say about Queensr˙che,” added Naron. “I've been a fan since 1982, and ebbed and flowed with the band. But after revisiting each Queensr˙che record and tour cycle for the book, I've fallen in love with the band all over again. Queensr˙che has always been a secretive band, and it has been fun talking to people who have helped unlock their past."

“The thing the three of us agreed on, was that Queensr˙che’s story is one of perseverance,” Heaton said. “The band’s music and personal history is rooted in change and overcoming obstacles, and that makes it a compelling story to write, and we hope, for everyone to read.”

Building An Empire: The Story Of Queensr˙che is an unauthorized account, featuring interviews with the band members themselves, and various associated people from Queensr˙che’s almost 40-year history—including managers, producers, crew members, family, friends and peers. The book weaves existing interviews from the band’s career with new ones, resulting in an all-encompassing, objective look at Queensr˙che’s career.

The book is slated for a fall 2021/winter 2022 release on NW Metalworx Music’s website, nwmetalworxmusic.com, Amazon.com, and other retailers.

I'm a little late to the party on this, but count me in as a first-day buyer!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4460 on: January 10, 2021, 12:17:24 PM »
La Torre just retweeted Zeuss...

“And so it begins..#R˙che#4”
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4461 on: January 10, 2021, 04:11:26 PM »
I’m going to take a wild guess and say that this is the sound that Todd would like Queensryche to have, or something similar.  But Michael said not a chance.

I thought Michael was the metal guy?

I don't really hear the Halford solo thing in this.  I'm more with Ben and hear more Overkill maybe some Metal Church too.  Nevertheless, I like it.  Shaping up to be a nice album.

I hear Flotsam & Jetsam big time in this.

I am on this album. When does it come out?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4462 on: January 10, 2021, 04:22:54 PM »

Yeah Michael is the metal guy but I think this sound and heaviness is just a few notches above from what Michael would be comfortable having Queensryche sound like.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4463 on: January 11, 2021, 03:47:32 AM »

Yeah Michael is the metal guy but I think this sound and heaviness is just a few notches above from what Michael would be comfortable having Queensryche sound like.

Interesting.  Yeah Michael was the one I believe that was never happy the direction the band was going back in the day.  It is intriguing the heaviness behind Todd's direction here.  Maybe Crimson Glory had an effect on him.

The album is out Feb 5th.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4464 on: January 11, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »
the band QR without Geoff Chris and Scott is simply BAD,  they cant write a poem in reality,  Im sure whoever or whatever is on Todds CD is far better sadly and im no fan of Todd   I find his voice unpleasant to my ears sadly but Im sure for those who like him this is far better than any QR project
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4465 on: January 11, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
I thought he sounded fantastic on the last two QR albums

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4466 on: January 11, 2021, 03:00:58 PM »
I thought he sounded fantastic on the last two QR albums

He did.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4467 on: January 11, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »

somewhere between Crucible and Fight at times IMO, I LOVE ROB HALFORD but this is not for me, IDK its just not moving me , but for younger kids its nice hes doing that old school sound and song structure today for them to discover
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4468 on: January 11, 2021, 03:43:33 PM »

somewhere between Crucible and Fight at times IMO, I LOVE ROB HALFORD but this is not for me, IDK its just not moving me , but for younger kids its nice hes doing that old school sound and song structure today for them to discover

Yeah I thought Fight might more than Halford too with that song.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4469 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:39 PM »

agreed   feels generic  IDK

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4470 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:05 AM »
Scott Rock just posted this on Facebook:

wanna hear a fun story? goes like this :
”Contrary to any statements or interviews coming from other parties, I most definitely 'did not' and 'have not' quit,  walked away, retired or abandoned Queensryche??!! ….unfortunately, you have not been given the facts by any means…”
a total cliffhanger right? ….
more soon
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4471 on: January 12, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »

”Contrary to any statements or interviews coming from other parties, I most definitely 'did not' and 'have not' quit,  walked away, retired or abandoned Queensryche??!! ….unfortunately, you have not been given the facts by any means…”
more soon

Wow, more drama on the way...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4472 on: January 12, 2021, 09:22:40 AM »

more soon

What’s the point of Scott posting this? Either come out and tell us what happened or don’t. Why keep stirring the pot?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4473 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »

more soon

Scott is one hot mess lately.   He cant seem to just speak clearly, WTF.   the whole mess on his "status" is due to HIM!! and who cares anymore  QR is done as a relevant band. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4474 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »

more soon

I guess he still has his stock in QR LLC,  man the drama is so much better than the music ,  they should stop doing music and just do a reality show , theyd make more money also LOL

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4475 on: January 12, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
It’s been a few years. At this point don’t say anything and if asked just say no comment or it’s nobodies business. But if you decide you want to give your side of the story, send out a detailed release. But this is just unnecessary stirring the pot.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4476 on: January 12, 2021, 09:38:38 AM »
Brian might have to hold the presses on his book

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4477 on: January 12, 2021, 09:44:16 AM »
Man, the music industry be having a lot of drama lately.  :corn :corn :corn  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4478 on: January 12, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »
I have something to share with my fellow Queensryche fans on here. The pandemic didn't necessarily leave a lot of free time on my hands, but enough to take part in this project I am co-authoring with two friends of mine.

:)

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                                           
Dec. 30, 2020                        

nwmetalworxmusic@gmail.com

NW Metalworx Music to Publish First Queensr˙che Biography
*snip*

I'm a little late to the party on this, but count me in as a first-day buyer!

Ditto.  <obligatory 'shut up and take my money.gif'>
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4479 on: January 12, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
Scott is one hot mess lately.   He cant seem to just speak clearly, WTF.   the whole mess on his "status" is due to HIM!!
Sounds like you know more than the rest of us. Care to fill us in on what you know?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.