Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705833 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4200 on: March 17, 2020, 04:28:52 PM »
Hmmm, I don't recall Real World being played at our show on the PL tour.  Setlist.fm shows that it was, but that set list is wrong.  For one, I know that Out of Mind was played early in the show.  Two, I know that NM 156 was played as a combo with Screaming in Digital.  And three, Neue Regal was played (I would bet my life savings on it).  Lastly, I don't think that much of Mindcrime was played.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/1995/kiel-center-st-louis-mo-73d122d1.html

I seen shows for that tour twice, and I remember them playing it. I couldn't tell you where it was in the set, though. Did the band change setlists throughout the tour, possibly?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4201 on: March 17, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
Very possible.  I am not saying they didn't play Real World when I saw them, just that I don't remember it, and that the set list in that link I posted is inaccurate in numerous spots.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4202 on: March 17, 2020, 06:46:59 PM »
Here's the setlist which I'm almost 100% positive was played throughout the entire PL tour, aside from the pair of shows they did in 1994 (which I don't believe were part of the proper tour anyway):
9:28 A.M. (intro tape)
I Am I
Damaged
Bridge
Screaming in Digital (excerpt) →
NM 156 (excerpt)
My Global Mind
Neue Regel (excerpt)
I Remember Now
Anarchy-X
Revolution Calling
Operation: Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease
The Mission
I Don't Believe in Love
Waiting for 22
My Empty Room
Real World
Eyes of a Stranger
Empire
Jet City Woman
Promised Land
Disconnected
Lady Jane
Out of Mind
One More Time
~~~encore~~~
Silent Lucidity
Take Hold of the Flame
Someone Else? (album version with guitar)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4203 on: March 17, 2020, 07:02:50 PM »
IIRC, Silent Lucidity was the last song of the regular set, not part of the encore.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4204 on: March 17, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
IIRC, Silent Lucidity was the last song of the regular set, not part of the encore.
You're probably right. Makes more sense to break it up that way. Am listening to the San Jose radio broadcast right now, and it sounds like someone cross-faded between SL and THotF so that the opening notes of the latter are fading in (and this is true for 2 separate boots of the same show), so it's probably as you say.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4205 on: March 18, 2020, 07:52:15 AM »
Hmmm, I don't recall Real World being played at our show on the PL tour.  Setlist.fm shows that it was, but that set list is wrong.  For one, I know that Out of Mind was played early in the show.  Two, I know that NM 156 was played as a combo with Screaming in Digital.  And three, Neue Regal was played (I would bet my life savings on it).  Lastly, I don't think that much of Mindcrime was played.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/1995/kiel-center-st-louis-mo-73d122d1.html

They most certainly played it. At every full headlining show.

http://anybodylistening.net/tourarchive.html

Scroll down to the PL dates and click through. I've kept all of that information as up-to-date as possible since the late-1990s. Setlist.fm is a great resource, but I found it to be very inaccurate on old tour dates.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4206 on: March 18, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »

Correct. Another reason to trust the sites that are long-standing and serious about archiving band histories. We generally have the most accurate info. For example, Deep Purple, Floyd, Zeppelin, there are a bunch of sites similar to AnybodyListening.net out there for those respective bands. Official sites are often not as detailed. :(
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4207 on: March 18, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
You're probably right. Makes more sense to break it up that way. Am listening to the San Jose radio broadcast right now, and it sounds like someone cross-faded between SL and THotF so that the opening notes of the latter are fading in (and this is true for 2 separate boots of the same show), so it's probably as you say.

That is my recollection for where it was broken up as well.  I was at that San Jose show.  For the longest time, that was my "best concert ever."  So epic. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4208 on: March 18, 2020, 12:58:55 PM »

It was paired with the rearranged My Empty Room and there is an official release of the combo on one of the CD singles from the Promised Land era (I want to say the I Am I single). It fit perfectly in the O:M portion of the show and it kinda made me wonder if the song was kicking around from the O:M days as an unfinished idea when they were working on that album...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4209 on: March 18, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »
The PL tour chatter prompted me to find and listen to a show from that tour.  Then this came up next in my playlist.   :eek :metal  Man, this is such a great reminder of not only how fantastic Tate was at his peak, but how great the band as a whole were. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4210 on: March 18, 2020, 02:38:40 PM »
The PL tour chatter prompted me to find and listen to a show from that tour.  Then this came up next in my playlist.   :eek :metal  Man, this is such a great reminder of not only how fantastic Tate was at his peak, but how great the band as a whole were.

I saw that show in mid-December 1991.  I was geeked that they opened with Resistance (one of my favorites on Empire).  Roads to Madness was an unexpected highlight.  I was particularly impressed by DeGarmo's BG vox.  Gotta confess I don't remember the treadmill!  Also, Tate was off when he said the tour began one year ago to the day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4211 on: March 18, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »
Yeah, I saw that tour in '91 as well.  It was a great time to see them.  Suicidal was opening on the leg I saw.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4212 on: March 18, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
I remember going to the Brendan Byrne show for Building Empires.  My friend I went with wasn't too thrilled about the Mindcrime portion of the show, having never heard it.  But, I was thrilled beyond belief.  The only rare song we got at that show was Last Time In Paris.  Awesome show.  That was my first time seeing them.  I was supposed to see them open for Def Leppard on the Hysteria tour.  But, we got there late because my buddy's soccer game went long.  I was not happy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4213 on: March 18, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that tour in '91 as well.  It was a great time to see them.  Suicidal was opening on the leg I saw.

Same here. Suicidal was nuts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4214 on: March 18, 2020, 05:54:57 PM »

They most certainly played it. At every full headlining show.

http://anybodylistening.net/tourarchive.html

Scroll down to the PL dates and click through. I've kept all of that information as up-to-date as possible since the late-1990s. Setlist.fm is a great resource, but I found it to be very inaccurate on old tour dates.

Noted.  :tup :tup

That is my recollection for where it was broken up as well.  I was at that San Jose show.  For the longest time, that was my "best concert ever."  So epic.

I don't think seeing them on the PL tour is top 5 for me anymore, but it's still pretty darn close.  It might be 6th actually behind Rush in 2002, Radiohead in 2008, Pink Floyd in 1994, night 1 of Morsefest in 2017 and Dream Theater in 2000 (the M:2000 show at the House of Blues in Orlando).  This is of course limiting it to one per band, otherwise Rush would dominate. :lol :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4215 on: March 18, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
I seen suicidal with them on Building Empires at the show in Columbus, Ohio. Suicidal was the first band that I ever walked out on in the middle of their set to go take a piss break. They're just not my thing, and I always thought that they were an odd pairing with QR.

Type O Negative was the opener both times I seen the PL tour. They were another odd pairing in my opinion, but maybe not quite as far off as Suicidal.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4216 on: March 18, 2020, 06:04:03 PM »

Hmmm...I do not recall an opening act.  They played four nights at Long Beach Arena (Dec. 12-15, 1991).  I went to the show on Saturday the 14th.  According to setlist.fm, someone called Warrior Soul opened on the 13th and 15th.  No opener is listed on the 12th or 14th, but I have to assume it was the same, so I'm guessing my friends and I blew off the opener (and I can't recall ever having heard of Warrior Soul).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4217 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
Lynch Mob, Warrior Soul and Suicidal Tendencies were the three main opening acts on the Building Empires tour.

As they hit the Northwest, right after Christmas 1991, local Seattle act Sweet Sister Sam opened, which featured Randy "Random Damage" Gane on keyboards (a buddy of Tate, who was on the "Empire" answering machine, and also was a touring keyboardist for the band on the Rage tour, behind the curtain), and Kendall Bechtel of Fifth Angel.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4218 on: March 19, 2020, 11:00:42 AM »

Hmmm...I do not recall an opening act.  They played four nights at Long Beach Arena (Dec. 12-15, 1991).  I went to the show on Saturday the 14th.  According to setlist.fm, someone called Warrior Soul opened on the 13th and 15th.  No opener is listed on the 12th or 14th, but I have to assume it was the same, so I'm guessing my friends and I blew off the opener (and I can't recall ever having heard of Warrior Soul).

Warrior Soul had a cult following in the early 90s that remains to this day. (MP is a big fan IIRC). They were part of that early wave of “ugly dirty street” bands that were the initial backlash against hair metal. Their first album “Last Decade Dead Century” is considered a classic and “Losers” and “We Cry Out” were getting some nominal attention on Headbangers Ball.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #4219 on: March 21, 2020, 08:53:50 AM »
Randy "Random Damage" Gane on keyboards (a buddy of Tate, who was on the "Empire" answering machine, and also was a touring keyboardist for the band on the Rage tour, behind the curtain.)

Does this mean he was playing keyboards live, but literally hidden behind a curtain? That seems super disrespectful to a musician, IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4220 on: March 21, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »
Randy "Random Damage" Gane on keyboards (a buddy of Tate, who was on the "Empire" answering machine, and also was a touring keyboardist for the band on the Rage tour, behind the curtain.)

Does this mean he was playing keyboards live, but literally hidden behind a curtain? That seems super disrespectful to a musician, IMO.

Derek Sherinian did that for KISS.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4221 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:01 AM »

Derek Sherinian did that for KISS.

Adam Wakeman did that for Sabbath.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4222 on: March 21, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »

As others have illustrated above, plenty of keyboardists have done it. Frankly, it was just the way things were done back in the 80s. It's possible that it was just off-stage (been a while since I looked at the Rage bootlegs). But either way, he wasn't featured on stage like the five members of the band. And Queensryche always introduced him. Something along the lines of "and helping us out on the keys, 'Random Damage!'"

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #4223 on: March 21, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »

At least they gave him some recognition. It just seems really strange to me. But then, I think all bands with extensive keyboard sections should have a keyboardist on stage, rather than have the keys on a backing track or something like that (or hidden behind a curtain.)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4224 on: March 27, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
We may have had this discussion years ago, but I don't recall. What did everyone think of "Justified?" The song Chris came back to finish with Queensryche for their Best of compilation back in 2007?

I wrote up a blog on the tune the other day - www.anybodylistening.net/justified.html - that gives the backstory behind the song, why and how I've always believed it was for Tribe, and some general thoughts on it.

Overall, I never felt it was a top-20 Queensryche song or anything like that, but the elements of it (particularly the bridge), to me, are completely what Queensryche was all about in their original lineup. And as I said in the blog, a good swan song for the original band if it indeed ends up being that.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4225 on: March 27, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
I just listened to the song now for the first time in years. It’s a cool tune, but I’ve never been a big fan of the chugging guitar riff and that’s the kind of vibe I get from this one. I remember thinking it was a good song and would have fit in quite nicely with the Tribe album.

But I also remember hearing Justified and thinking the same thing after the previous few albums, I just want these guys to let loose a bit more lol.

It was also around this time that I bought American Soldier, that Best of and Take Cover. I knew Geoffs vocals were struggling for awhile but it was at this point that it was even more obvious to me.

Going back to that best of. I remember thinking the first CD was just too similar to thier greatest hits from 2000. But those Myth songs on the second CD were  :metal :metal. They should have included more unreleased songs from Rage for Order too!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4226 on: March 27, 2020, 03:53:52 PM »
Call me weird, but I prefer the earlier recording of The Prophecy (which I *think* was recorded during The Warning sessions??? Samsara can probably correct me on that) which was officially released only on The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years Soundtrack.

Maybe it’s just because I heard that version first, and had grown very accustomed to its raw sound. When I heard the recording from the Rage sessions, it was much more polished...it just threw me off. I still like the polished version, I just prefer the earlier recording.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4227 on: March 27, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »
I thought The Prophecy was the Rage sessions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4228 on: March 27, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »
I thought The Prophecy was the Rage sessions.

That's what I was saying.   The version more commonly heard *is* from the Rage sessions.

EDIT - the song itself was written as far back as the EP I think.   It was performed on The Warning Tour and an earlier version appeared on the Decline Soundtrack

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4229 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:37 PM »
JD, Tim,

Yeah, Prophecy has been around forever. . I mean, they were playing that song since the EP tour. - http://anybodylistening.net/9-20-83.html - and that's just the first confirmed setlist. I am sure it was in the set for all the dates before that. The Warning sessions were over budget, so if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say its a demo recording of theirs from The Warning era that they submitted for that soundtrack. Or they could have cut a quick live version of it and just marked it as demo during the RFO pre-production stage. The film came out in what...88? So it could have been either of those things, but because its so raw, I'd say the particular "early" version was a band home demo cut quickly.

Wish I could give you a concrete answer, but to be honest, I never really paid much attention to that particular version of the song. I just always listened to the version they cut during the Rage sessions that was put on the reissue of the EP in 1988, and to the early bootlegs. I never really bothered with the Decline of Western Civ version (I have it, just don't listen to it).

I just listened to the song now for the first time in years. It’s a cool tune, but I’ve never been a big fan of the chugging guitar riff and that’s the kind of vibe I get from this one. I remember thinking it was a good song and would have fit in quite nicely with the Tribe album.

But I also remember hearing Justified and thinking the same thing after the previous few albums, I just want these guys to let loose a bit more lol.

It was also around this time that I bought American Soldier, that Best of and Take Cover. I knew Geoffs vocals were struggling for awhile but it was at this point that it was even more obvious to me.

Going back to that best of. I remember thinking the first CD was just too similar to thier greatest hits from 2000. But those Myth songs on the second CD were  :metal :metal. They should have included more unreleased songs from Rage for Order too!

re: Justified -- I hear ya. And it's not that I'm saying Justified is this top track of all time thing. It's a decent song, that stylistically fit with what they were doing in 2002-2003. I LIKE it. But it wouldn't make a top songs compilation mix or something. That said, however, I dug the chugging riff. As I said, my favorite section was the bridge. And there's this cool little "Psycho" (the movie) guitar harmonic in the...I think it's second verse, that I just absolute love. Gives it this creepy stalker vibe if you listen to the lyrics. I forgot to mention that in the blog.

re: The Best of set -- it was OK. I really wished they had NOT included All the Promises and Til There Was You. On the DIGITAL version of the 2 disc set, they swapped those songs out completely for...I want to say another Empire tune, and the song You. I prefer that version a LOT better.

I agree though -- I was hoping they would have released the Rage Demos. I have them, but having them cleaned up and sounding good would have been really cool. From the Darkside, The Dream, Rage for Order, all very different. Would have been cool. The MYTH stuff was OK. You can tell Tate's quirkiness from MYTH was toned down in Queensryche (which to be honest, was for the better, IMO).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4230 on: March 27, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
I 100% agree about All the Promises and Til There was You should not have been included in a QR best of. Dozens and dozens of better choices and those songs finished that best of on such a low point. I didn’t care for either on their respective releases and definitely didn’t think they deserved to be on a best of. “You” and “Damaged” are 1000000x better

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4231 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »
I 100% agree about All the Promises and Til There was You should not have been included in a QR best of. Dozens and dozens of better choices and those songs finished that best of on such a low point. I didn’t care for either on their respective releases and definitely didn’t think they deserved to be on a best of. “You” and “Damaged” are 1000000x better

It was "Damaged?" Sweet. One of my top-10 QR songs. Yes, agreed completely.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4232 on: March 28, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »

It was "Damaged?" Sweet. One of my top-10 QR songs. Yes, agreed completely.

No sorry I was just using those two songs as an example as songs that should have been included instead of All the Promises and Til There Was You. I think You was one of them but not sure of the other

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4233 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
I looked it up. It was actually Empire, which wasn't on the original version. :omg:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4234 on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
I looked it up. It was actually Empire, which wasn't on the original version. :omg:

That's what I thought. LOL. But Damaged and Empire sit next to each other on my QR Top-10 list, so that works.  :lol