Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 705519 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #1540 on: June 12, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
I agree that it wasn't a great choice for a single, but it's still a killer tune.   :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1541 on: June 12, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
I just went for a short ride with PL in the van. Got through I Am I and Damaged, and my opinions are the same.
Damaged is great!

I had always hoped I Am I would be a late bloomer for me, but it never happened. I didn't "get" RFO when it came out, but man, as time has gone by, that album is genius. I was picturing IAI falling into the same trend. I can't stand the vocals on it, and I don't feel it takes me anywhere.
Not ragging here, just discussing. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1542 on: June 12, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
Damaged is the first song I ever got a speeding ticket to. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1543 on: June 12, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
I can see that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1544 on: June 12, 2015, 05:24:17 PM »
I Am I is an absolute mess.

I...just don't even understand this.
I agree. Every time I hear it, I never understand it either.

I don't think it's a mess, but it was one of the worst possible choices they would have made for a lead off single.  The vocal melodies are far too awkward and odd for a single.  Singles are supposed to have big, easily memorable sing-a-along vocal melodies.  I Am I, while a fine song, has none of that.

For me, it was the single I always wanted from QR.   I have never cared for their "singles".    Walk in the Shadows is certainly one of the lesser tracks from RFO, I would say the same of THotF and Warning.   Never cared for Eyes of a Stranger as much as everyone else does, and Another Rainy Night and Jet City Woman are among some of the worst songs they ever recorded.   I would put all of Q2K above those two.   

But I Am I was actually the song that won me back to QR.   I had been so completely disappointed by Empire, and I pretty much figured that QR had become a hit machine and were never going to be the "thinking man's metal band" ever again.  When I heard I Am I as a lead off single, I was completely blown away.    Promised Land remains my second favorite QR album, and I've nicknamed it "Rage for Order...with a budget"   :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1545 on: June 12, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
J-Dude, I think you are doing Queensryche backwards! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1546 on: June 12, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
Just wondering, have they done any PL songs with Todd live?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1547 on: June 12, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »

Not yet.   But I've seen hints that they have heard the fanbase continually requesting it.   I don't remember the exact wording, but it seemed to me that it wasn't out of the question. 

I wouldn't even mind if they dusted off The Right Side of My Mind.   STILL the best post-PL track I've heard from them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1548 on: June 12, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »

Jammindude....doing Queensryche backwards since 1984!   :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1549 on: June 12, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

Jammindude....doing Queensryche backwards since 1984!   :tup
Right there with you bro. Had the EP long before Warning came out. Such an exciting band at that time. Never really heard anything like them.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: June 12, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
I like your take on "I Am I ," jammindude!

I also wanted to point out that a big part of what makes PL extra special for me are the lyrics. I'm also discussing PL on fcebook with a friend and he said: "The humanity, presence, angst, reality, dispair and hope in this album. Christ almighty." That says it all for me.  Tate held nothing back lyrically.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1551 on: June 13, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
Damaged pretty much saved the album for me initially. It took a while to appreciate the rest. I still can't stand Disconnected. Still,Damaged, Bridge, OutOfMind, PL, My Global Mind, One More Time, Someone Else all hit the spot eventually.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1552 on: June 13, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
Promised Land was my first Queesryche album, and Damaged was what hooked me in.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1553 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
I like your take on "I Am I ," jammindude!

:tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1554 on: June 14, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
I also wanted to point out that a big part of what makes PL extra special for me are the lyrics. I'm also discussing PL on fcebook with a friend and he said: "The humanity, presence, angst, reality, dispair and hope in this album. Christ almighty." That says it all for me.  Tate held nothing back lyrically.
I'll give you that, M.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1555 on: June 15, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »

Todd has said that they plan to.  I think Scott may have said that as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1556 on: June 16, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
OK, well I took a run through Promised Land..twice.

My thoughts..
I Am I- I don't get it. I don't care for it at all. I feel it's messy, and it's just not pleasurable to my ears.

Damaged- Still an awesome tune. Easily the best on the album.

Out Of Mind-I have always raved about the live version, and have always thought the studio version was weak. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my listens to this song. This one definitely gets raised in my eyes. I do have two issues with it though. Firstly, the placement on the album. Perhaps lyrically it belongs there, but after Damaged, it just sucks all of the momentum out of the beginning of the album.
Also, the guitar solo is INCREDIBLE, but it's way too short. At the end of the solo, the tempo picks up and the chorus returns. I wish they had continued the solo over the increased tempo. It truly would've turned a good song into a great one.

Bridge- Lyrically I'm sure it is quite impactful, and I would never hold that against anyone for liking it, but musically, it just brings nothing. I mean this i the mighty  Queensryche we're talking about. They are so much better than this.

Promised Land- While I can certainly respect the effort on this song, and again, lyrically, I can see how they could be appreciated, I will say that this song has actually lost some of its shine. It's long, slow, bloated, and really goes nowhere. I need something more than this for 8:25.

Disconnected/Lady Jane Queensryche, by this point, had put out so much great music. These two songs are so far below what this band is capable of.

My Global Mind-It's OK. Don't love it, don't hate it. But very mediocre QR.

One More Time-Not a bad tune, but I feel like there's an untapped great tune here. It's missing something, but I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe if it had Empire's production, it would sound a bit fuller.

Someone Else- I love this song. Musically and lyrically. Seriously. The problem..the vocals. I admire the effort. I really do, but I feel like this is the first clue that Tate started to lose it. In fact:*

* The recording of the vocals is a major roadblock for me on this album. They vocals just sound weird to me, like they were being sung through some sort of machine. They feel like they are loaded with effects and do not sound very pure at all.

I know it's the old "TAC hates Promised Land", but in the end, I'm just discussing what I think after giving it a couple of fresh listens. My intent is NOT to rag on it.
I freaking LOVED Queensryche, literally from the release of the EP up through Empire. Because of the great Promised Land tour, I gave Hear In The Now Frontier a chance. QR essentially fell off the map for me after that. Which is too bad, and honestly, it was frustrating because as a teenager, Queensryche were a staple for me.
Promised Land certainly has a more laid back style and shows the Floydian influence, but as a hard rock fan following this hard rock band, I was caught completely off guard by this Floydian approach. never saw it coming, and I have never adjusted to it. They were probably the most thoughtful metal band of the 80's. Seriously, that's how strongly I feel about them. Queen Of The Ryche was game changing.

I guess bands change and evolve. And that's cool. I respect that. Look at Rush and Metallica. It's just that as the tracks wind, sometimes you get thrown off the train, which is what happened to me.
Pre Empire Queensryche, Pre Signals Rush, and Pre Black Album Metallica are all easily Top 10 bands for me, but in their totality, all three don't crack the Top 10. I hate that!

Anyway, thanks for reading. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1557 on: June 16, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
I get where you are coming from.  I completely disagree with it and think you are nuts.  But I get it.  :) 

I'll play too:

I Am I- What a different and amazingly bombastic way to start off an album.  This song caught me off guard at first listen, but I warmed up to it VERY quickly.  Spectacular.  It really grabs you and sets up the journey ahead.

Damaged- VERY good song.  In many ways, very straightforward.  But enough interesting little twists on the "norm" to keep things interesting.

Out Of Mind- The live version really made me appreciate this song.  I liked it before.  But seeing it live made it have a much bigger impact on me.

Bridge- Good song, and very accessible.  Very logical choice for a single.  Nothing wrong with it.  But it is not a favorite either.

Promised Land- Terrific effort.  This song, I Am I, and Disconnected really show the band experimenting, and it worked.  The lyrics, the vocals, and the music all blend seamlessly to create a very emotional, impactful epic.

Disconnected - I really love the trippy vibe of this song. 

Lady Jane - Nothing wrong with this one, but it never grabbed me.  The solo is pretty cool, but the rest of it just doesn't do it for me most of the time.

My Global Mind- Very good song.  I wish it could have somehow been heavier.  The lyrics are cool, and actually did a GOOD job of expounding the subject matter, which Geoff would do a horrendous job with on subsequent efforts about similar subject matter.  Here, Queensryche was still in a mode where they could write thought-provoking lyrics that actually...provoked thought on the subject matter.  Their lyrics often misfired on later efforts in either of 2 respects:  (1) Rather than getting you to think, they told you what to think; and/or (2) they sounded so out of date and out of touch that you really don't want to think about what otherwise might be an interesting topic. 

One More Time-  I overlooked this song at first, but it was a grower and is one of my favorites.  As with most of the rest of the album, great lyrics.

Someone Else- Good song.  But not my favorite version.  I like a good, stripped down piano ballad every now and then.  And closing the album out on a soft note is brilliant.  But this one...I've never really pinpointed why it doesn't work quite as well for me as I think it should, but I think you actually hit it, TAC.  The full band version is good, but a bit too bombastic to end this particular album.  I'm glad they decided at the last minute to scale it back for the album version.  But I think maybe they scaled it too far, and I think the reason is Geoff.  I won't say his vocals were bad.  He could still sing.  But I think his voice is just not suited to going from soft to soaring over soft music--at least by this point in time.  My favorite version of this song is the live version from the tour.  It struck a great compromise and added just enough instrumentation back in that Geoff's vocals seemed to fit better.  But still, good song.

All in all, this is really a quality album.  Over time, it has lost a bit of its luster.  There are songs like Out of Mind that, although I can still appreciate them for being great pieces of music, I just don't feel drawn to listen to anymore.  For that reason, I don't often find myself reaching for this album when I want a Queensryche fix.  More often than not, I reach for Empire.  So while I still feel that this is probably the better album, Promised Land usually sits at #2 in the rankings for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
I get where you are coming from.  I completely disagree with it and think you are nuts.  But I get it.  :) 
:)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1559 on: June 16, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
I think every song on Promised Land is f'ing great.  Take that.  :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1560 on: June 16, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »
I know Bosk1 will be the only one to agree but I like HITNF more than Promise Land.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1561 on: June 16, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
As much as I love HITNF, that is just crazy talk.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: June 16, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
Well there you have it.  I seem to gravitate to it more than PL.  Maybe I'll play both tomorrow at work.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1563 on: June 16, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
I know Bosk1 will be the only one to agree but I like HITNF more than Promise Land.
I'm with ya, Bro!

And speaking of HITNF, I really liked what they set out to do with this. Strip it back kind of thing. I just think there's way too many iffy tracks. But I do love a bunch of them.
Other than Damaged, I like Anytime/Anywhere, Hit The Black, Sign Of The Times, Miles Away, and sp00L, over anything else on PL.

Also, HITNF has my favorite album sleeve band photo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1564 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
I agree with kingshmegland:  Some opinions are just wrong.  :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1565 on: June 16, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »
Aside from the very uneven, and often mediocre, songwriting, one major problem with HITNF is its sound.  The drums sound like total shit (too loud, yet no punch, and just very dry and flat).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1566 on: June 16, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
Yeah, but I think they were going for that, no? That said, everything about it showed a band in turmoil. I think the fact that a few of the tunes are at least catchy is completely by accident.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1567 on: June 16, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
HITNF is similar to Rush's Test for Echo for me in that I listened to both a ton (around the same time, ironically), in large part because at the time, I didn't listen to a lot of bands.  I usually tend to go through long phases with bands who are still releasing new music (meaning, bands not releasing new music tend to fall into the retired category for me, in the sense that I might go through a few days of listening to them non-stop, but they will never dominate my stereo for months), and that has been true for most of my life, and in 1997, my favorite bands were Rush, Floyd, Yes, DT and 'Ryche, and one of my favorite bands back then could release crap and I would have listened to it non-stop. :lol  But, back to HITNF and TFE, neither album is one I have high regard for anymore, and I rarely listen to anything from either now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1568 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
I agree with kingshmegland:  Some opinions are just wrong.  :P

Hey, It's probably a better album.  Can't argue that.  How do you like them apples. :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1569 on: June 16, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
I just had a quick run through HITNF. God, it sucks!

I am now starting to wonder if the writing style on PL and HITNF was due to Tate's already diminishing range and strength.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: June 16, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
It's because it's no QR sound for you Tim.  you don't like change you old cahoot! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1571 on: June 16, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
It's because it's no QR sound for you Tim.  you don't like change you old cahoot! :lol
Only when change goes from great to sucks!

Back in my...oh wait! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
AH HA! :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1573 on: June 16, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »
I just had a quick run through HITNF. God, it sucks!

I am now starting to wonder if the writing style on PL and HITNF was due to Tate's already diminishing range and strength.

It definitely was, but the band was also going for a more stripped-down approach to the music. Especially the melodies.

Combine that with Tate's diminished range and then EMI going bankrupt, then Chris leaving, and it was a rough time for the band in general.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: June 16, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
Wasn't Chris the main driving force behind HITNF.  He wrote like 80% of the album didn't he?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.