Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 257288 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2345 on: February 01, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »
Here is my interview with James and John : enjoy ;)
The French promoter told us to hold all the reviews and interviews until Feb 1st, so be prepared, everyone's gonna release everything :D
https://youtu.be/6qgzew42vps

Cool, thanks for posting!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2346 on: February 01, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »
Interesting how JP says he wrote four tracks & co-wrote two with JM. That means FITL was co-written by Petrucci.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2347 on: February 01, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »
It's February! Release month! Just three weeks left to wait until the glorious 22nd! :caffeine:

Offline illusionist

« Reply #2348 on: February 01, 2019, 03:51:15 AM »
The French promoter told us to hold all the reviews and interviews until Feb 1st, so be prepared, everyone's gonna release everything :D

Great interview,because
1.It was not boring and repeating the same things again and again
2.We learned about the cover artwork
3.We learned the working title for the album
4.We learned what S2N is all about

Love it when i learn a little bit more about DT and their albums!
Thanks!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2349 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:23 AM »
Great interview,because
1.It was not boring and repeating the same things again and again
2.We learned about the cover artwork
3.We learned the working title for the album
4.We learned what S2N is all about

Love it when i learn a little bit more about DT and their albums!
Thanks!
Thanks a lot: when I interview the band for the fan club, I know that the fans will read so I don't want to ask the same questions but specific questions that I've never read before. As I had the main lyricists of the band, I thought it would be great to focus on the lyrics.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: February 01, 2019, 06:12:36 AM »
https://youtu.be/X_R1Idf0n-U

Here’s another one, another French one but with James only.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2351 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:33 AM »
Both are great interviews! :metal Thanks for posting them.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2352 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:53 AM »

Good interview, it was really nice to hear the guys talk a little more in-depth about lyric writing. It's interesting that James' favorite lyricist is the guy from Switchfoot.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2353 on: February 01, 2019, 07:19:03 AM »
If we talk about the set list of the upcoming tour, could we do so in a new thread? I would love to know nothing about the set list before the concert.

Can’t wait to hear/read the new interviews when I come home tonight! Thanks for posting :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2354 on: February 01, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »

It's my life mission and creed to go to ANY concert without spoilers on the setlist.

Should have gone to concerts before the 00's! :P

I don't think I started sneaking a peak at set lists online until 2000/2001 or so.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2355 on: February 01, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »

It's my life mission and creed to go to ANY concert without spoilers on the setlist.

Should have gone to concerts before the 00's! :P

It's not THAT hard, even though with superstar bands such as Iron Maiden it's quite difficult.

Even so, to make an example, I still haven't the slightest clue about what Metallica is playing currently, and I intend to keep that up until I'll see them in early May. With Iron Maiden I remember I had to unfollow their Instagram page but aside from that, unless friends don't post videos on FB and you avoid of course the official forums, it's relatively easy to not know a setlist.

With DT themselves I managed to fully avoid info on the last tour and I didn't even have to stop posting here, I just avoided the tour section.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2356 on: February 01, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »

It's not THAT hard, even though with superstar bands such as Iron Maiden it's quite difficult.

Even so, to make an example, I still haven't the slightest clue about what Metallica is playing currently, and I intend to keep that up until I'll see them in early May. With Iron Maiden I remember I had to unfollow their Instagram page but aside from that, unless friends don't post videos on FB and you avoid of course the official forums, it's relatively easy to not know a setlist.

With DT themselves I managed to fully avoid info on the last tour and I didn't even have to stop posting here, I just avoided the tour section.

Props to you. I simply don't have the willpower to hold out and not look.  Now, if the show I am going to is like the 2nd or 3rd on a tour, it is possible, but for a month or even weeks?  No freaking way. :facepalm: :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2357 on: February 01, 2019, 09:04:50 AM »
What really does suck though (and I’ve had this happen) is when you make it all the way to the show spoiler-free, and then people around you ruin the setlist before the band comes out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2358 on: February 01, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
What really does suck though (and I’ve had this happen) is when you make it all the way to the show spoiler-free, and then people around you ruin the setlist before the band comes out.
This is what I'm usually afraid of, given that people tend to chat about what they saw online. At a couple of concerts, a person next to me even checked setlist.fm in order to know what will follow. In such case, you must try not to look and hopefully avoid accidentally seeing a part of the set list.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2359 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »

Oh yeah, I feel you!

Avoiding official band pages... check
Avoiding YouTube videos... check
Avoiding interviews and carefully dodging internet pages discussing the shows... check

You finally go to the show and the people in front of you go "Can't wait to finally hear ULTRA RARE SURPRISE SONG" and you go FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2360 on: February 01, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »

Oh yeah, I feel you!

Avoiding official band pages... check
Avoiding YouTube videos... check
Avoiding interviews and carefully dodging internet pages discussing the shows... check

You finally go to the show and the people in front of you go "Can't wait to finally hear ULTRA RARE SURPRISE SONG" and you go FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ya, I guess the best you can do is politely tell them to shut up if you can catch them quickly enough 😂

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2361 on: February 01, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
I'm going to the third show on the tour, so I'll only have to restrain myself for two days.  We'll see if I can do it.....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2362 on: February 01, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
I had times I tell people to please not talk about the set list. My last show was Coheed and Cambria and I was towards the front. People put out their phones and took pictures of the set list taped to the stage and I told them please don’t spoil the show for me. Some of them were nice others didn’t care
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2363 on: February 01, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
I can't fault fans who talk about how they can't wait to hear a song.  If that is what gets them excited about the show and they want to verbalize it, more power to 'em.  Going out of your way to spoil it for people is another story, but if you happen to hear someone talking about a song that is going to get played, that is just the way it goes.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2364 on: February 01, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »

I tried that to that but someone spoiled Breaking All Illusions a thread in this section, not the tour section; the thread title didn't have anything to do with the current tour so I thought I'd be safe.  Once this coming tour starts I'll stick to the general music section until I see the show for myself.

I can't fault fans who talk about how they can't wait to hear a song.  If that is what gets them excited about the show and they want to verbalize it, more power to 'em.  Going out of your way to spoil it for people is another story, but if you happen to hear someone talking about a song that is going to get played, that is just the way it goes.

I sort of agree with this, but I think people who want to talk about the setlist at a show should at least keep their voices down.  There have been enough times where someone asks for the setlist not to be spoiled that we should all try to accommodate them.  And in turn those who don't want to be spoiled should do what they can to avoid it.  I've had people say "please don't tell me what they're playing" (even when I had no intention of doing so), but that's fine because you never know if someone might be about to spoil a song or two.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2365 on: February 01, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »
Tons of reviews from the various Dream Theater World fan clubs are up - https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2019/02/01/dream-theater-distance-over-time-the-fan-club-reviews/

Offline rab7

« Reply #2367 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
I'm now really excited about this "Beatles section" in Room 137.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2368 on: February 01, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
Tons of reviews from the various Dream Theater World fan clubs are up - https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2019/02/01/dream-theater-distance-over-time-the-fan-club-reviews/

Oh man, I might get a progressive metal overdose in 22-23 days time. First (Hopefully, if the postal service does their job effectively) d/t, which I'm probably going to listen to ALOT. And secondly, in between every playthrough I have to find time to attend the Haken show on the 23rd also.  :eek
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2369 on: February 01, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Wow, some of the new tunes seem to be unanimously liked. Great news!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2370 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
Cool reads! Lots of good information in those reviews.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2371 on: February 01, 2019, 01:07:42 PM »
I'm now really excited about this "Beatles section" in Room 137.

Me too.  :biggrin:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2372 on: February 01, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »
Interesting stuff. Damien’s review came across as a little bit muted, but the others seemed positive.

Can’t wait to hear it for myself!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2373 on: February 01, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Interesting stuff. Damien’s review came across as a little bit muted, but the others seemed positive.

Can’t wait to hear it for myself!

His review had served to bring the hype down a little bit.  :lol

I'm very curious to hear Barstool Warrior, Room 137 and S2N.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2374 on: February 01, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
My birthday wish is that my iTunes would miraculously make my D/T preorder available on my birthday on the 18th. These advance reviews are killing me!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2375 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
I did this for the probably final Rush tour and loved the surprise songs in the set list.
The thing that made it a little easier on that Rush tour was the fact that they varied the setlist up a bit from show to show. Nothing as drastic as what DT did from 2002 to 2006, but still it was nice not to know exactly what the next song was gonna be, despite knowing all the songs that had been played at previous shows. Here's hoping DT will once again apply the "what would Rush do?" mentality.   ;)

Interesting how JP says he wrote four tracks & co-wrote two with JM. That means FITL was co-written by Petrucci.
I'd imagine it's probably in the same way that all the songs with JM's lyrics were co-written (altho not credited as such): JM submits the lyrics in poem form, and then someone else (apparently only JP, post-MP) helps reformat them into proper song form.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2376 on: February 02, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »

Very interesting reviews!
The nice thing is that every listener seems to like different songs/ sections...

The french guy didn't like the album...also the  the Italian review is a bit "defensive" vs potential critics, but we are used to that...
For some strange reason the Italian DT web community has become (with few exceptions) a den of crybabys..

All other reviews are pretty positive
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2377 on: February 02, 2019, 03:49:27 AM »
an anti-Astonishing album. I think that the band heard the dissatisfied fans and tried to do the opposite: shorter songs
dafuq xd
Btw, the thing that I (and many other fans whose opinions I've heard) disliked the most about Astonishing is indeed the shortness of songs
Pale Blue Dot is just a pile of riffs without any structure, a bit like Enigma Machine
This is precisely why I dislike Enigma Machine. The only song I'm looking forward to now is At Wit's End :(

Also, reviewers keep being happy about Rudess not using his crazy wizard sounds. How the hell is that a good thing?!
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2378 on: February 02, 2019, 04:23:28 AM »
Pale Blue Dot is just a pile of riffs without any structure, a bit like Enigma Machine
This is precisely why I dislike Enigma Machine. The only song I'm looking forward to now is At Wit's End :(

Also, reviewers keep being happy about Rudess not using his crazy wizard sounds. How the hell is that a good thing?!

To be honest it takes many listens to start grasping Pale Blue Dot. I also don't believe it's one of the strongest songs on the album, but it is indeed quite different in terms of atmosphere.
Rest assured, there will be more songs to love apart from At Wit's End, which is indeed fantastic. I can't imagine how someone who likes I&W and Six Degrees won't be able to love Barstool Warrior.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:26:25 AM by nikatapi »

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #2379 on: February 02, 2019, 05:12:04 AM »
You're such a tease. :)