Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 387648 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2975 on: June 08, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
Whoa, just like that? No hype? No singles?  :omg:

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2976 on: June 08, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
Whoa, just like that? No hype? No singles?  :omg:

Here's the description from his website

"This is album is a beautiful collection of never heard before songs written over the last two years by Casey McPherson of Alpha Rev and Flying Colors. Some are rough mixes, while others are large productions. All are an exploration into the idea of connection, relationship, and acceptance of life's vast changes that come"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2977 on: June 08, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
As much as I love Casey's voice, his stuff outside of Flying Colors has never done much for me, but I will give this a try.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2978 on: June 08, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
His last album was a collection of very good (art-)pop songs, plus a soundscape/spoken word meditation exercise that I never quite understood. The shorter songs are great though, Casey definitely can write beautiful melodies. Plus, his last album proved what caliber of a singer he really is (more so than FC). So I will give this a listen.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2979 on: June 12, 2020, 12:44:09 PM »
In the third part of Neal's Lockdown Interview, released this morning, Neal reveals that the Live In London show from the Third Degree Tour will be released this fall (I'd presume October, just enough time after Neal's solo album, though he could surprise me and release is concurrently - he's released studio AND live albums together before, often offering bundles on his website).

He also added that there would be bonus material from the Morsefest show, which says to me that the Morsefest show won't get its own release. Looking at the setlists, looks like they played "The Fury Of My Love" at Morsefest, but not in London, so I suspect that'll definitely be one of the bonus tracks, but they'll probably throw in a few more given the addition of other instrumentalists for the Morsefest performances.

Either way, at least we finally have a time-frame for release, but I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of us NOT getting the whole Morsefest 2019 show as a proper release (maybe, if anything, an Inner Circle release?).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2980 on: June 12, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
I haven't bought any of their live stuff (I don't buy many live DVD's/Blu-rays anymore cause I never end up watching them more than a few times), but I might get this one.  I wish they had played Guardian, which has crept up for me as a top 3 song from Third Degree, but the overall song selection is pretty great.  Then again, it's hard to go wrong with just about anything from their three albums outside of a couple of songs I would deem average/okay.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2981 on: June 13, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
They better include Peaceful Harbor with the backing vocalists from Morsefest as part of the bonus material.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2982 on: June 21, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
I haven't bought any of their live stuff (I don't buy many live DVD's/Blu-rays anymore cause I never end up watching them more than a few times), but I might get this one.  I wish they had played Guardian, which has crept up for me as a top 3 song from Third Degree, but the overall song selection is pretty great.  Then again, it's hard to go wrong with just about anything from their three albums outside of a couple of songs I would deem average/okay.

I'll listen/watch the two live albums more than the two studio albums. Probably still play Third Degree more those two but I'm sure I'll stop as soon as the new live one comes out. It will be nice to savor that one.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: June 23, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »

PRESS RELEASE MASCOT LABEL GROUP/MUSIC THEORIES RECORDINGS
Visit our MLG Press Page for more information and downloads
FLYING COLORS ANNOUNCE GLOBAL RELEASE OF LIVE DVD
'THIRD STAGE: LIVE IN LONDON'

'Third Stage: Live In London'
Released: 18 September 2020
Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group

Watch The Live Video For "Mask Machine” HERE

And The Trailer: https://youtu.be/Kb4TK0KBvJE

“Welcome to the rarest of all sightings, rarer than a UFO sighting, rarer than a sasquatch sighting. A Flying Colors sighting - here on stage, in London.” Mike Portnoy

Supergroup Flying Colors will be releasing their brand new live album, ‘Third Stage: Live in London,’ on 18th September via Music Theories Recordings – home to Ayreon, Jordan Rudess, Von Hertzen Brothers, Michael Romeo, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert and Spock’s Beard.

‘Third Stage: Live in London’ was filmed during their 2019 US and European tour and the footage captures the exhilarating sold-out final night, on the 14th December at the iconic Grade II Listed, Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London. The album will be released on several formats including, Orange transparent 3LP, Blu-ray, digitally, 2CD/DVD and a 40-page Earbook which includes 5 discs; 2CD album, 2DVDs and a Blu-ray. The Blu-ray and DVDs in the Earbook also include bonus material of music videos and concert footage of their Morsefest 2019 performance in Cross Plains, Tennessee.

When you combine the calibre of supergroup musicians - guitarist Steve Morse (Deep Purple, Dixie Dregs, ex-Kansas), drummer Mike Portnoy (Winery Dogs, ex-Dream Theater, Transatlantic), keyboardist/vocalist Neal Morse (Transatlantic, ex Spock's Beard, and a prolific solo artist in his own right), bassist Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs, ex-Joe Satriani), and powerhouse vocalist and songwriter Casey McPherson (Alpha Rev, The Sea Within) – the results are going to be lightning in a bottle.

They had only played 9 exclusive shows on the tour, culminating at the sold-out show in London, which saw Portnoy stand up mid-set and quip, “Welcome to the rarest of all sightings, rarer than a UFO sighting, rarer than a sasquatch sighting. A Flying Colors sighting, here on stage in London. This is a very sad night for us because it is the last night of the tour and we don’t get to play together enough, so we’re going to savour every moment tonight and enjoy each and every moment here on stage.”

Their latest studio album ‘Third Degree’ had only been released two months previously, and songs from that record make up just under half to the night’s setlist with the rest of the songs coming from the 2012 self-titled Billboard Top 10 debut and 2014s worldwide Top 10, ‘Second Nature.’ Backed with a HD projector screen, the five take the stage in the darkness amidst a rumble of applause and immediately groove into opener ‘Blue Ocean,’ and from the outset, their technical virtuosity, joyous melodies and reflective lyricism wash over the crowd proving to be the cornerstones of the Flying Colors sound.

Talking about walking out on the stage, McPherson recalls; “I remember how I felt right before the show in London. I was excited because my oldest daughter and her grandmother were there, whom I love dearly, and felt like I had the show, down by then. It's always a good feeling to take the stage when the material is ingrained enough to just let go and let it out!”

They flow into the melodic progressive wonderment of ‘A Place In Your World,’ featuring guitar heroics from Steve Morse before they shift up a gear further for a duo of thunderous new songs, ‘The Loss Inside,’ and the almost rousingly apocalyptic sounding ‘More’ – it’s this that makes them so special, the ability to weave through several genres simultaneously.

The sight of LaRue and Portnoy bouncing off one another is a gloriously effortless sight to behold, whilst the wizardry of Neal Morse throughout is hypnotic. The band flit nimble-fingered through complex yet musical treasure-trove of accessible and sophisticated pop songs, jazz-fusion, progressive-rock and multi-layered vocals from Macpherson, Neal Morse and Portnoy - giving the band added dimensions, many can only dream of. ‘Kayla’ lights up the room and makes the 100-year-old theatre feel like the most intimate of settings.

From its opening in 1903 as a Music Hall, hosting variety performances and revues from the likes of Charlie Chaplin the venue has been a captivating one. The Shepherd’s Bush Empire was designed by architect Frank Matchem, who also designed the world-famous Palladium, Victoria Palace Theatre and London Coliseum. Its mix of stunning Art Nouveau and Baroque style creates a luscious backdrop to the spiralling psychedelic progressive pop stylings of this supergroup. “The Shepherd's Bush Empire is a classic theatre. Little nooks and crannies backstage, and that ornate vibe in the hall. Great people to work with which always makes for a fun gig,” says McPherson.

As the camera weaves from cascading light effects and a captivating video backdrop to the view from the stage, sweeping above the crowd and along the lavish balconies, it’s visually stunning and as the band journey through their back catalogue it at times creates an almost spiritual awakening and has you hooked through further crowd favourites such as ‘Geronimo,’ ‘Infinite Fire’ and new songs alike until it reaches its triumphant finale ‘Mask Machine.’

“Playing in Flying Colors is like being in a movie,” says the singer. “It’s so incredibly powerful emotionally, and to think this was going to be the last show was a bittersweet feeling. I love the other guys in the band and we always have such a good time on the road together. Our Chemistry is like really good sushi. There's not one ingredient you could replace and it taste that good. It is one of the kindest and uniquely unified band's I've ever been in.”

‘Third Stage: Live In London’ captures the band in all their uncompromising glory, five musicians that when they come together prove that they have a special and breath-taking connection. In the words of Mr. Portnoy, it’s the “rarest of all sightings,” but what a sight to behold.

On September 18, Flying Colors will also re-issue the ‘Flying Colors’ and ‘Second Nature’ albums on Light Blue 2LP, both limited to 1000 units.

CD 1

Blue Ocean
    A Place In Your World
    The Loss Inside
    More
    Kayla
    Geronimo
    You Are Not Alone
    Forever In A Daze
    Love Letter

CD 2:

Peaceful Harbor
    Crawl
    Infinite Fire
    Cosmic Symphony
    The Storm
    Mask Machine

* Earbook/Blu-Ray includes bonus show Live @ Morsefest

« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:51:21 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2984 on: June 23, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
Earbook ordered! Glad to see we're getting a good chunk of the Morsefest show on video!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2985 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
The press release seems possibly misleading about this, but according to the Mascot Records website, the regular Blu-ray edition also includes the Morsefest footage, not just the expensive deluxe box set. And their site also gives this list of bonus material that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet:

Bonus Material

Live at Morsefest 2019:
1. More
2. You Are Not Alone
3. The Fury Of My Love
4. Crawl
5. Peaceful Harbor
6. Cosmic Symphony

Music Videos:
More
You Are Not Alone
Love Letter
The Loss Inside
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2986 on: June 23, 2020, 09:27:10 AM »
The press release seems possibly misleading about this, but according to the Mascot Records website, the regular Blu-ray edition also includes the Morsefest footage, not just the expensive deluxe box set. And their site also gives this list of bonus material that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet:

Bonus Material

Live at Morsefest 2019:
1. More
2. You Are Not Alone
3. The Fury Of My Love
4. Crawl
5. Peaceful Harbor
6. Cosmic Symphony

Music Videos:
More
You Are Not Alone
Love Letter
The Loss Inside

I love that they're putting pretty much half of the Morsefest show on the BD, and they're all great choices too - the three "first performance" songs from Third Degree (More, YANA, and Crawl), one song from Morsefest that wasn't played in London (TFOML), and two of the best tracks from Second Nature (which I'm sure will sound fantastic with the extra musicians). Nice touch to throw in the music videos from Third Degree as well!

Also, if it wasn't mentioned yet, Neal will be signing the first 100 pre-orders at Radiant when the pre-orders for him go up TOMORROW MORNING (I assume 9 or 10am CST, but his post on Facebook didn't specify). I didn't feel like waiting for a Neal signature, nor gamble on their shipping processes (though I've never really had any problems with them before - I've just never heard anyone have any issues with Mascot, unlike Radiant). Also, I trust how Mascot packs and ships their stuff, so I know I'm earbook will be nice and pristine when it arrives in September.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2987 on: June 23, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »

PRESS RELEASE MASCOT LABEL GROUP/MUSIC THEORIES RECORDINGS
Visit our MLG Press Page for more information and downloads
FLYING COLORS ANNOUNCE GLOBAL RELEASE OF LIVE DVD
'THIRD STAGE: LIVE IN LONDON'

'Third Stage: Live In London'
Released: 18 September 2019
Music Theories Recordings / Mascot Label Group

Damn, why have I waited so long to get this??? :P :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2988 on: June 23, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »
Oops?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2989 on: June 23, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Haha, yep.

Reading the comments by the band members, it is a little maddening to think how few shows they did last year.  I know they all have other bands and projects, and getting everyone lined up to be free at the same time for an extended period is not easy, but I know I am not alone in wishing they were a little more active.  It was five years in between the last two records, and it will suck if we have to wait that long for the fourth album.  I am a greedy fan.   I want MORE. :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: June 23, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
I'm frustrated that they only go east to NYC.  I'm glad Neal started to tour N.E. again the last 2 tours for the NMB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2991 on: June 23, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
I am just thrilled that St Louis was a mainstay for Neal the last few years.  The NMB was here both the Similitude and TGA tours, and he was here by himself when he did that solo tour in 2018.  I am hoping it stays that way once concerts resume in 2033.

Edit: Since becoming a fan of Neal's in 2000, he had not played a concert here in St Louis until the Similitude tour.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2992 on: June 23, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
TA played Boston in 2001 but nothing after that until the Similitude tour.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2993 on: June 24, 2020, 08:36:39 AM »
TA is the last Neal/Mike thing that I have to see.   King, when they come in 2021, we should try to make that happen.   

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2994 on: June 24, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »
Ordered the blu-ray and I'm really happy Radiant Records adjusted the shipping charges. $2.80 for a blu-ray shipped via Media Mail.  :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2995 on: June 25, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »
I won't buy this, but I will, however, buy the Second Nature vinyl reissue  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2996 on: June 25, 2020, 09:01:45 AM »
The live clip they released of Mask Machine is very underwhelming. It’s like they played it in slow motion. I thought that was a strange choice as the last encore, and it makes even less sense when changing the key and playing it slower.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #2997 on: June 25, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »
I'm frustrated that they only go east to NYC.  I'm glad Neal started to tour N.E. again the last 2 tours for the NMB.

They also played in Glenside, PA, on this tour. It was my first time seeing Flying Colors. Great show.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2998 on: June 25, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
The live clip they released of Mask Machine is very underwhelming. It’s like they played it in slow motion. I thought that was a strange choice as the last encore, and it makes even less sense when changing the key and playing it slower.

Yea....I only got through a minute or so of it. It's about 10bpm slower than the album version and the mix is.......not very good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2999 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »

Yea....I only got through a minute or so of it. It's about 10bpm slower than the album version and the mix is.......not very good.

I also thought it was a weird decision to encore with Mask Machine. But, what's more pop than ending the set with your famous single.

If I went to a show, I'd be underwhelmed at it ending with this. It would've worked more higher in the set, like 2nd song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3000 on: June 25, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
Mask Machine is a "famous" single?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3001 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
Mask Machine is one song I quite enjoy on Second Nature. But this live version, It sounds sluggish in feel with the tempo being slower, you can almost feel MP trying so hard to restrain from going faster. Probably not his decision either on the tempo for certain songs.

I'm sure the other songs sound great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3002 on: June 25, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
Recent listens of all three albums reminded me that while I like Second Nature, the other two are much, much better.  And heck, I like every song on Second Nature, and there are plenty of awesome moments on there, but having a producer would have really helped songs like Open Up Your Eyes and Cosmic Symphony, the former of which is too long and suffers from padding (it could have been an awesome 7-8 minute song instead of 12 minute one it is), and the latter sounds like three little songs that they just threw together for the hell of it.  Casey's two movements (I and III) are great enough to elevate the song into really good stuff despite the copy and paste feel of the song structurally, however.

I did find it interesting the other day that Portnoy, in his vinyl video, called out Last Train Home as a particularly good one from Third Degree.  Makes me wonder why that one was never played when they toured. I know they only did nine shows, but I sure hope Last Train Home and Guardian don't end up being two great songs that never got played live.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3003 on: June 25, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »
I just listened to the live single and yeah, that is a really weird choice to promote an album with. The mix is pretty strange and not only is the tempo far too slow, it's also fluctuating big time...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3004 on: June 25, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »
Man, the way you guys are talking about Mask Machine really makes me happy that I haven't bothered checking out the single yet. I'll blissfully wait until September to hear it, then, and hope the rest of the show is much better. Maybe they were all tired by the end of the show and so their tempos weren't as great? They're not all spring chickens after all!

-Marc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3005 on: June 26, 2020, 08:10:51 AM »
Mask Machine is a "famous" single?

:tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: June 26, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
FROM RADIANT RECORDS: "In addition to the new Flying Colors, 'Third Stage: Live In London,' we're offering pre-orders for a limited edition repress of 'Flying Colors' 2 LP and 'Second Nature' 2 LP on light blue vinyl."

I'll be autographing all double LPs (a Radiant exclusive!) Pre-order now: http://ow.ly/zTS250AiHXM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3007 on: June 26, 2020, 05:38:53 PM »
FROM RADIANT RECORDS: "In addition to the new Flying Colors, 'Third Stage: Live In London,' we're offering pre-orders for a limited edition repress of 'Flying Colors' 2 LP and 'Second Nature' 2 LP on light blue vinyl."

I'll be autographing all double LPs (a Radiant exclusive!) Pre-order now: http://ow.ly/zTS250AiHXM

Saw that and ordered both already.  I just started collecting vinyl again recently and have Third Degree already, so I figured why not get the first two studio albums as well, that way I have all three.  :metal :metal

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3008 on: June 26, 2020, 10:38:03 PM »
I already have the fist album as regular black vinyl, but I still considered buying the blue one. But there is so much cool stuff coming out these months, I have to save money... (I still ordered the blue Second Nature though  :biggrin:)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3009 on: June 27, 2020, 09:52:20 AM »

They also played in Glenside, PA, on this tour. It was my first time seeing Flying Colors. Great show.

That it was. That show will be the standard for my live album comparison. The set alone probably qualifies it as the best of the 3 live albums.