Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 387187 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2905 on: October 16, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
That picture makes me so happy.

Stads, you need to see Pineapple Thief in November in Cambridge Mass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2906 on: October 16, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't get the sense from that pic that he needed a nap. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2907 on: October 16, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
He was held up by young, virile men.  That's why.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2908 on: October 17, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
We were in a little storefront, because it was raining when we came out of the show.  Adami went left, looking for a cab, Bill went right, heading to the train station, and I collapsed into a little heap in the corner until I was well enough to get to my car. 

That show may be do-able.  I need to check when the family is coming in for T-Giving (which is the following week).

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2909 on: October 17, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
Excited for the show tonight in St. Charles. Second time seeing the boys.

The album has been growing on me. First couple of listens were just kind of there. Then on the third listen or so things started clicking. I can't remember the song off the top of my head but I caught a clear Steely Dan reference, at least to my ears. It might have been Geronimo. Being a huge fan of the Dan, that really caught my attention.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2910 on: October 17, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
We were in a little storefront, because it was raining when we came out of the show.  Adami went left, looking for a cab, Bill went right, heading to the train station, and I collapsed into a little heap in the corner until I was well enough to get to my car. 

To catch the last train home?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2911 on: October 17, 2019, 11:16:53 PM »
Wow. Just.........Wow.

I don't say this often, but that was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Just incredible.

District 97 opened. I have been aware of them for years but have never checked them out for some reason. That will change. Their set was eclectic, to say the least. Quite a meshing of styles. And the vocalist, wow. She has a set of pipes on her. Even my mostly metal-head buddy gave her big props.

While they were tearing down I got overexcited when I saw Rich Mouser on the stage. My buddy was like, who? Then he was confused that I was that excited about a mixing engineer. I told him, just you watch, this show will sound fantastic. Rich did not make a liar out of me. The sound was about as good as I have ever heard at a show. No earplugs needed and everything was clear and the separation was excellent.

The boys were at the same time the loosest and tightest band I might have ever seen. Not sure that I have seen 5 guys that genuinely excited to be sharing a stage together. They didn't miss a beat. Steve is just inhuman. No one should be that good and make it look so effortless. I don't think he missed a single note.

I couldn't really catch any mistakes or screw-ups. They played like this was the 100th show of the tour. They had no reason to be that on point. I'm just stunned at how good it was. Casey's voice was excellent, Neal sounded really good and he was blowing his nose all night. Dave was Dave, just a beast on the bass. MP looked like the happiest guy on the planet. The love and joy those 5 give off is something to see.

So glad that I dropped the money on myself for my birthday. It was worth every freaking penny. This is one show that will stay with me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: October 18, 2019, 06:53:02 AM »

:rollin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2913 on: October 19, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
If setlist.fm is to be believed, it looks like the PA show got one less song than NY did (and it was a new song, too). I wonder why...was it curfew issues, or maybe they just didn't feel like playing it last night? Either way, it'll be anther 5 days til their next show, and the last one until the December European tour, so hopefully by Europe, they'll have all the tour kinks ironed out and they'll have a tight set by then. I'm sure a European show will be recorded for release as I'm sure those crowds are a bit livelier than some of the American ones, but I wouldn't mind getting the NY show as an Inner Circle "official bootleg" type show.

-Marc.

Don't know if it was the curfew or what seemed like an impromptu audience participation moment with Peaceful Harbor or both. Neal also didn't seem to have had a cold or something so maybe it was that.  One thing is for sure. This album needs to be celebrated with a live release.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:58:48 PM by ytserush »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2914 on: October 19, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
Now that the album has been out for over a week, has anyone come up with an alternate track order, perhaps one that includes "Waiting For The Sun"? I haven't had a chance to sit down and really do a rearrangement of the running order of the album, and I like including all the original studio songs on an album/playlist/CD-r if I can, so I'm trying to find a spot for WFTS.

Still haven't watched Mike's drumming DVD or listened to the bonus disc yet.  Don't know what I'm waiting for.  I keep wanting to just listen to the album and the bonuses will be there when I'm ready for them. I wouldn't change a thing as far as the order at this point.  Would probably just leave the bonus track on the end where bonus tracks usually go.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2915 on: October 19, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
Good stuff.  :coolio

In a just world, this band would be popular enough to be a mostly full time band and we'd get albums and tours from them on a regular basis, but it's not a just world, so we have to enjoy what we get when we get it.

Clearly this band isn't a money maker (what bands are these days?) but it would be a shame for this not to continue because it's quite obvious they have so much fun doing it and that really comes across.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2916 on: October 19, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »

I actually did that. But it was for King Crimson a few weeks back, not Flying Colors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: October 20, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
Now that the album has been out for over a week, has anyone come up with an alternate track order, perhaps one that includes "Waiting For The Sun"? I haven't had a chance to sit down and really do a rearrangement of the running order of the album, and I like including all the original studio songs on an album/playlist/CD-r if I can, so I'm trying to find a spot for WFTS.

Still haven't watched Mike's drumming DVD or listened to the bonus disc yet.  Don't know what I'm waiting for.  I keep wanting to just listen to the album and the bonuses will be there when I'm ready for them. I wouldn't change a thing as far as the order at this point.  Would probably just leave the bonus track on the end where bonus tracks usually go.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the alternate mixes.  I LOVE them.  Not more than the album (they are a different vibe than the album) but they are, to me, more than just throwaways that I'll never listen to again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2918 on: October 20, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »

Maybe love is what you're waiting for. :P

Clearly this band isn't a money maker (what bands are these days?) but it would be a shame for this not to continue because it's quite obvious they have so much fun doing it and that really comes across.

True that.

I had to do an unaccompanied road trip this weekend (3+ hours each way), and listened to all three Flying Colors studio albums on the way home today.  And that was after listening to NMB's Similitude and Great Adventure back to back on the outbound drive early Friday.  Today's listens confirmed what I had been thinking the last week or so, and that the new album might approach being as good as the first album...both are great, the new one obviously being a major grower (my initial listens were so wrong :lol), and the second one, despite being my least favorite of the three, is still really, really good.  Let's hope a wait for a 4th album isn't too long. #greedy :hat

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2919 on: October 20, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the alternate mixes.  I LOVE them.  Not more than the album (they are a different vibe than the album) but they are, to me, more than just throwaways that I'll never listen to again.

Gotta agree that the alternate mixes are a LOT of fun to listen to! Definitely different, but still very much Flying Colors. I even made a playlist of them along with the 3 acoustic versions of Second Nature songs:

1. Love Letter (Alternate Acoustic Arrangement & Mix)
2. Geronimo (Instrumental Arrangement & Mix)
3. The Fury Of My Love (Acoustic Version)
4. You Are Not Alone (Instrumental Arrangement & Mix)
5. One Love Forever (Acoustic Version)
6. Last Train Home (Instrumental Arrangement & Mix)
7. Peaceful Harbor (Acoustic Version)
8. Crawl (Instrumental Arrangement & Mix)

A shame there were never any acoustic or instrumental mixes of the first album's songs, I'm sure they'd sound great in that format, especially "The Storm" as an acoustic version!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2920 on: October 23, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
Finally got around to Disc 2. I'm usually not a fan of instrumental versions of songs that weren't intended to be that way, but these work. The version of Crawl is the MVP of Disc 2 for me. That acoustic guitar that takes the lead is just excellent. I loved it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2921 on: October 24, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
Finally got around to Disc 2. I'm usually not a fan of instrumental versions of songs that weren't intended to be that way, but these work. The version of Crawl is the MVP of Disc 2 for me. That acoustic guitar that takes the lead is just excellent. I loved it.

Steve *really* shines on the bonus disc. If you're a Steve Morse fan, you owe it to yourself to get the 2CD Version just for disc 2!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2922 on: October 24, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
I agree that the acoustic lead in the instrumental version of Crawl is really good, but while that and the other instrumental versions are all nice, I can't help but wonder where the vocals are when listening to them. :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: October 24, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »

Steve *really* shines on the bonus disc. If you're a Steve Morse fan, you owe it to yourself to get the 2CD Version just for disc 2!!!

-Marc.

I've been telling anyone that will listen (and some that won't) that same thing for weeks now.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2924 on: October 24, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »
You guys are making me annoyed that the 2 disc version isn't available on iTunes.
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2925 on: October 25, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
You guys are making me annoyed that the 2 disc version isn't available on iTunes.

If you buy physical, you can get the 2CD set on Amazon for only $19.99, though when I pre-ordered it, it was only $16.99 (which is a BARGAIN for such great music, especially with 2 discs!). I'd say the 2CD set is still worth $19.99, especially with the photo book that is included.

I decided to start my 3rd Flying Colors Survivor today, so please check it out in the Polls/Survivor Forum! The first round can be found HERE!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:56:19 AM by The Letter M »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2926 on: November 02, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »

On my fifth spin today of the DVD. I love the mix more than the album I think,  As far as Waiting For The Sun goes: I don't know Doesn't really feel like part of the album to me as I've listened to the CD way more.   Can't believe the attempted a UK vibe with it though. I love how they just went for whatever they were feeling.

Still haven't gotten to the bonus disc yet, believe it or not.

Marillion With Friends From The Orchesta (new Rothery solos!) has been Kicking my ass lately (I still haven't ever cracked open the Deluxe Edition of Afraid of Sunlight yet either (but I only really like about half of the album and wanted it for some of the unreleased demos that I might enjoy although there is no immediate need to listen to it.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2927 on: November 02, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »

-Marc.

Sounds like I'm in for a treat when I eventually do make it there.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2928 on: November 07, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
Removed "More" from my phone, and have no desire to listen to it again. ever. (first FC song I've done this with).
Other than that, the album is really good :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2929 on: November 09, 2019, 09:07:50 AM »
Removed "More" from my phone, and have no desire to listen to it again. ever. (first FC song I've done this with).

I thought More was a boring plodder at first, but I like it now.  The way I see it, More and The Loss Inside are definitely the least best of the bunch on the new album, IMO, but they are both solid tunes.  The keyboard solo near the end of More is really weird in a good way. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2930 on: November 09, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »

I thought More was a boring plodder at first, but I like it now.  The way I see it, More and The Loss Inside are definitely the least best of the bunch on the new album, IMO, but they are both solid tunes.  The keyboard solo near the end of More is really weird in a good way.

The Loss Inside was an instant like for me, and I still love it. More is the only song on the album that I just cannot stand listening.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2931 on: November 17, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
I still don't think there's a bad song on this album. It's a lot like the first one in that way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: November 17, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »

For me, it's like Tattoo by Van Halen.   Stand alone over YouTube it sucks, but in the context of the album is actually pretty good.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2933 on: November 17, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »

For me, it's like Tattoo by Van Halen.   Stand alone over YouTube it sucks, but in the context of the album is actually pretty good.

I haven't listened to Tattoo in years (I have the entire album except that song in my iTunes and on my iPhone), but I will take your word for it. :)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2934 on: November 17, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
Looking to listen to some new music, and decided to finally give Flying colors a try.  Never got into the Portnoy side project stuff like Transatlantic, etc yet...just never did, don't know way.

Tried the Third Degree album....I am absolutely LOVING it.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2935 on: November 18, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »
My current ranking:

1. Love Letter
2. More
3. The Loss Inside
4. Geronimo
5. Guardian
6. Cadence
7. Last Train Home
8. Crawl
9. You Are Not Alone

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2936 on: November 18, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »

I haven't listened to Tattoo in years (I have the entire album except that song in my iTunes and on my iPhone), but I will take your word for it. :)

I did that same thing at first.  I HATED that song when I first heard it; then I was on a trip somewhere, and I streamed it with that song and it sort of clicked.  I don't know what it is, but it fits. It helps that I think that's Roth's greatest record lyrically, and I like the lyrics to Tattoo:  "From Mouse-wife to Mom-shell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" I think is genius. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2937 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
A song hitting me years later, after not doing much for me initially, is not unheard of, but since Tattoo is not a song I can't imagine ever hearing in public, and has been deleted from my iTunes and my phone, I'd have to go out of my way to hear it again.

As for ranking the new songs...

1. Geronimo
2. Crawl
3. Love Letter
4. Guardian
5. Last Train Home
6. Cadence
7. You Are Not Alone
8. The Loss Inside
9. More

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2938 on: November 18, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
I'll join in on ranking the Third Degree songs, at least as best as I can...

01. Crawl
02. Love Letter
03. Last Train Home
04. Geronimo
05. Guardian
06. Cadence
07. Waiting For The Sun
08. More
09. The Loss Inside
10. You Are Not Alone

I could probably swap a few of those around, and this took a bit longer than I thought to organize. It's a fairly level album over all, though those bottom three are definitely my 3 least favorite on the album.

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2939 on: November 18, 2019, 01:16:37 PM »
Surprised to see nobody ranks Cadence higher, I think it’s really really good.