Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 387190 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Flying Colors v. Third Degree (Rel 10/4/19)
« Reply #2730 on: August 28, 2019, 08:49:44 AM »
Damn.

It did nothing for me. /shrug
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2731 on: August 28, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Same here. By-the-numbers cheesy ballad. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special either.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: August 28, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
Same here. By-the-numbers cheesy ballad. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special either.

Hang on a minute! Aren't you breaking your own rule here and deflating those who eagerly and enthusiastically await the album's release? :biggrin:

Silliness aside, I have to say it didn't do anything for me, either. Bland as.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2733 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
I think the song it's fantastic, very emotional, and I love it!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
It's not a bad song. It just doesn't tickle my private parts like other Flying Colors' music does.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2735 on: August 28, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »

Hang on a minute! Aren't you breaking your own rule here and deflating those who eagerly and enthusiastically await the album's release? :biggrin:

I don't even know anymore. I'm tired of trying. There's no point.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #2736 on: August 28, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Pretty uninspiring so far.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
I don't listen to Muse at all and couldn't name more than 2 of their songs, and after 5 seconds of the vocals on More, I thought "Huh, sounds like Muse." Pretty boring and annoying scratchy-sounding riff (I am sure there is a musical term for that sound). That keyboard solo is horrid.

That second song was alright, brought to you by the team that gave you the video to Hollow Years.

I try not to judge artists by their look, but I really hate (thanks, Stadler) that that train conductor hat Casey always wears.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2738 on: August 28, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
Okay, so you're missing a VERY key word in your post... :)

I like it, not love it, but I'm also pretty against most "pre-release" songs.  I HATED Tattoo before the newest Van Halen record came out, and that record was my album of the year (and I really like Tattoo in the context of the record).    I'm still a first day buyer, and I'll judge it as a whole.   

FC is still my favorite post-DT Portnoy project.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2739 on: August 28, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
When did Flying Colors become Coldplay?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2740 on: August 28, 2019, 02:25:47 PM »

Plot twist: RoeDent now hates everything.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2741 on: August 28, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »

"The Storm"  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #2742 on: August 28, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
Two awful songs so far. And this is supposed to be one of MP's top albums ever (according to him)?

Offline emtee

« Reply #2743 on: August 28, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
No connection to that song whatsoever. 2 total swings
and misses so far.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2744 on: August 28, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
I liked it just fine. Will have to see how it settles. Does seem a tad long for that kind of song. I love Casey's voice. (On a barely related note I've found that Ted's voice is stopping me from digging later SB...)

I really hope the album turns out good...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2745 on: August 28, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
Heard it this morning before work, and I enjoyed it enough. It wasn't super surprising but not boring for me, either. I enjoyed Steve's playing a lot, and the quieter drumming was a nice touch. Casey's voice definitely suits this song a lot, but I do hope this is the slowest/softest ballad on the album.

I am still eagerly awaiting the whole album, and despite a lackluster first reaction to "More", I listened to it earlier this week and quite enjoyed it, so I think this album may be a grower.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2746 on: August 28, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Listened to this new one twice...not too wild about this one either.  I am officially a little worried about this new record since they are 0 for 2 now.  :( :(

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2747 on: August 28, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
In a moment of weakness I clicked on the first video. Not making that mistake again.

Waiting until it shows up in my mailbox.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2748 on: August 28, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
 LAst Train Home is pretty slow too, but a little bit more dynamic than You Are Not Alone. Love Letter is them playing The Beatles, Guardian and Cadence have the feel of the first album, but not much stands out in them. Geronimo has a Toto feel and a catchy chorus. Crawl is the saving grace of the album for me.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2749 on: August 29, 2019, 04:47:18 AM »

Plot twist: RoeDent now hates everything.

You're not far wrong. I'm certainly not getting the joy out of this music that I hoped I would. More is hitting the spot a little bit more (heh...) than YANA, but not quite. Not as much as Lost Without You from the previous album, which still brings me goosebumps and reminds me of happier times.

Let's hope the rest of the album has something that'll hit the spot. If not, let's hope IQ can make the autumn a bit better, music-wise.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2750 on: August 29, 2019, 09:15:01 AM »
I liked it just fine. Will have to see how it settles. Does seem a tad long for that kind of song. I love Casey's voice. (On a barely related note I've found that Ted's voice is stopping me from digging later SB...)

Wow, you had all of my thoughts, get out of my head!  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2751 on: August 29, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
BTW, is it too much to ask that those of you are getting promo copies early do not get descriptive about the songs? Some of us would like to get the CD and listen to it fresh without knowing this song is the Beatles song, that song is that, etc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2752 on: August 29, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
I actually liked the new song, much better than the first single.  Yeah, it was balladish, but it reminded me of their approach from the first album - pop "style" shorter songs, but with a little musical flair.  I dig it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2753 on: August 29, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
BTW, is it too much to ask that those of you are getting promo copies early do not get descriptive about the songs? Some of us would like to get the CD and listen to it fresh without knowing this song is the Beatles song, that song is that, etc.

Sorry! I thought I was being helpful.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: August 29, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »
I'd like this if it was much shorter. Repeat plays, I get bored halfway through. I think this could easily be half as long as it actually is.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2755 on: August 29, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
I actually liked the new song, much better than the first single.  Yeah, it was balladish, but it reminded me of their approach from the first album - pop "style" shorter songs, but with a little musical flair.  I dig it.

Exactly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2756 on: August 29, 2019, 08:27:44 PM »

Sorry! I thought I was being helpful.

All good. I am just nicely asking to keep spoilers to a low roar. :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2757 on: August 29, 2019, 08:48:28 PM »

It's the vocals that keep me from this band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2758 on: August 29, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
Swing and a miss for me too. Not 100% sure why. It’s just.....boring.

Melodies are nice. Orchestration is good. But I kept turning it off after a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2759 on: August 30, 2019, 12:51:49 AM »

Wow, you had all of my thoughts, get out of my head!  ;D

:lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2760 on: August 30, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
I might give the album a shot once it comes out, but yeah, I think this project in general just isn't for me.  I enjoyed the debut well enough but didn't care much for the second. The two tracks released so far are among the weakest material I've heard from them personally

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: August 30, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »

It's the vocals that keep me from this band.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm at now, too. Like, the first album is really good for a debut and has lots of interesting and quirky music, but the second not so much, and the singles for #3 are doing nothing for me. Casey in particular. I hope this is just a case of the singles being the weak links.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2762 on: September 05, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Tonight! :caffeine:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: September 06, 2019, 04:41:37 AM »
Review of last night concert?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2764 on: September 06, 2019, 08:03:50 AM »
LAst Train Home is pretty slow too, but a little bit more dynamic than You Are Not Alone. Love Letter is them playing The Beatles, Guardian and Cadence have the feel of the first album, but not much stands out in them. Geronimo has a Toto feel and a catchy chorus. Crawl is the saving grace of the album for me.

I like Geronimo and Crawl a lot! The opener is a very cool rocker with a catchy chorus, catchier than Mask Machine.
any rock can be made to roll