Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57326 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #910 on: September 09, 2023, 07:13:10 AM »
I was shockingly allowed to check in at 10:30am yesterday, advertised as 3pm.  Usually you can get in a bit early, but how early really depends on the hotel.  So it's hit or miss, but if you can't get in, like others have said, drop the bags off at least and go explore or chill locally.  When I flew into Atlanta to see Metallica two years ago, they wouldn't let me check in so I went for a long 2 hour walk around the town and through a cemetary  :lol I was so annoyed though, they had rooms available and the lady was just being an ass.  One of the other people were about to check me in at 2pm but she stopped him. The hotel was literally empty that day.  It may not make sense to let me check in at noon, but to literally make me wait till exactly 3pm was pretty dick IMO.

When I ran a hotel if you showed up and I had a room available you're checking in, I didn't care if it's 7am :lol. Getting people checked in early really helped when 3 rolled around and I have a ton of people waiting to check in at once.

The worst was holiday weekends, people were always trying to check out as late as possible and other folks are trying to check in as early as possible.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: September 09, 2023, 07:50:26 AM »
Second day in Quebec City and I'm really digging it. I like the vibe and strolling around the cafe's. The food I had for dinner last night fantastic, including the poutine. Today we board our cruise ship but we still have today and tomorrow in Quebec.

I did get stuck in the elevator this morning on the hunt for coffee. Last night when I got into the elevator I thought "wow look at how nice these dual touch screens are for floors". This morning I get in and start going down when both screens bluescreened. I was there for about 10 minutes.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: September 12, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
On a ship heading to Charlottetown in Prince Edward Island. I'm curious how things with hurricane Lee will pan out because we are supposed to meet Lee in Nova Scotia the same day Lee arrives :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: September 14, 2023, 03:08:41 PM »
After years of really great trips I think our cruise was kind of a bust. Due to hurricane Lee we had to skip 3 ports and are heading straight to Boston where we'll spend 3 days instead of 1. We also had some pretty rough seas today and the coast guard did a medical evacuation from our ship today.

Any of you guys have some good food recommendations for Boston?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #914 on: September 16, 2023, 03:55:15 PM »
Sitting at the airport ready to fly home from a few days at a conference in Vegas followed by a few days at Zion national park in Utah. Vegas, as I suspected, wasn't really my thing. But it was fun to go once. Zion is breathtaking. I could have stayed there forever. Ready to get home though. Traveling without the family is nice in some ways, but I miss them all a ton.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2023, 04:17:54 PM »
After years of really great trips I think our cruise was kind of a bust. Due to hurricane Lee we had to skip 3 ports and are heading straight to Boston where we'll spend 3 days instead of 1. We also had some pretty rough seas today and the coast guard did a medical evacuation from our ship today.

When are you coming to Boston?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #916 on: September 17, 2023, 03:12:51 AM »

Lost occasion to ask "when are you shipping up to Boston"  ;D :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: September 18, 2023, 06:50:01 AM »

Hey Tim, just saw this! We left yesterday after spending three days there. Easily one of my favorite cities to visit. My wife and I were joking that when we retire we want a place in Boston and one in Florida.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: September 19, 2023, 08:41:05 AM »
So, I'm going to Italy for the first time!
My parents in law are visiting us and we decided to take a trip with them. We'll be doing 4 days in Rome, 2 days in Naples and then 3 days in the Amalfi coast. I'm really looking forward to the coliseum and the Vesuvius, two places I've wanted to visit for a very long time
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #919 on: September 19, 2023, 11:46:10 AM »
I'm italian but I've never been to Naples and the Amalfi coast. You're gonna beat me to it  :lol

Four days in Rome should be enough for the "greatest hits". If you want to enter the Coliseum, tickets can be bought only online, you won't find any there at the place. Don't miss highlights such as Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and avoid tourist-traps restaurants  :D and if you have time, try and get lost wandering around the Trastevere neighbourhood, it's basically a small village within the city!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #920 on: September 19, 2023, 07:32:31 PM »
I'm italian but I've never been to Naples and the Amalfi coast. You're gonna beat me to it  :lol

Four days in Rome should be enough for the "greatest hits". If you want to enter the Coliseum, tickets can be bought only online, you won't find any there at the place. Don't miss highlights such as Piazza Navona, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and avoid tourist-traps restaurants  :D and if you have time, try and get lost wandering around the Trastevere neighbourhood, it's basically a small village within the city!

We had a Rome trip in 2020 cancelled by Covid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #921 on: September 19, 2023, 11:43:23 PM »
I'm 2 weeks away from my Scotland trip! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online pg1067

« Reply #922 on: September 20, 2023, 10:05:25 AM »

We had a Rome trip in 2020 cancelled by Covid.

Same.  I agreed to take over as president of my daughter's HS marching band boosters about a month before COVID hit.  We were smack in the middle of planning a trip for the band to go to Rome and play in a new years day parade (along with a couple other performances).  Dealing with the chaos and headache of canceling that trip and refunding money that parents had already paid was an absolute nightmare.  We'll eventually make it over there on our own, but the trip with the band was an opportunity of a lifetime that the kids will never get back.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: September 21, 2023, 07:16:22 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations. I already purchased the Coliseum ticket, it just took me about 5 hours of attempting to beat the bots  :lol. Still better than trying to get tickets to the Vatican...
Anyways, I'll try to hit those places that you mentioned. I had never heard of Piazza Navona  :)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #924 on: September 21, 2023, 07:35:50 AM »
It's just one of the most beautiful squares of Rome  :hat and it's a couple of walking minutes away from the Pantheon so don't miss it!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #925 on: September 21, 2023, 08:10:54 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations. I already purchased the Coliseum ticket, it just took me about 5 hours of attempting to beat the bots  :lol. Still better than trying to get tickets to the Vatican...
Anyways, I'll try to hit those places that you mentioned. I had never heard of Piazza Navona  :)
Tickets to the Vatican? Is that a new thing? When I was there you just walked right up, and waiting in a very short line.

The fountains at Piazza Navona are nice enough, but the highlight is the Church of Sant’Agnese in Agone. As beautiful as St. Peters but without the crowd.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #926 on: September 21, 2023, 09:15:13 AM »
Maybe he means the Vatican Museums. True, you can enter in the St. Peter's Basilica by just queuing up, but to visit the Museums (and pass, among other things, through the Sistine Chapel) you need a ticket (and at the very least half a day of your time. Totally worth it however).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #927 on: September 21, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »
So, in early October, the Queen and I are heading to New Jersey for Progstock.  We get home on a Monday, and I fly out Tuesday to see a new process for work in Columbus, OH.  Fly back the next day.  Then the week of the 17th, we have our conference in Pittsburgh, PA. Then finally at the end of the month, in Vermont, we staying at a treehouse for our 29th anniversary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #928 on: September 29, 2023, 12:19:17 PM »
So... politics aside, it looks like this gov shutdown is likely to happen. I've got air travel and cruise end of October. Anyone know what kind of impact I should expect? Wondering about dealing with TSA, customs, etc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #929 on: September 29, 2023, 12:27:06 PM »
When I traveled to San Fran 10 years ago, the government shut down during the middle of the trip. All essential services will still operate, others like parks, national monuments etc will be closed. It was a bummer for us because we had tickets to Alcatraz and were in line to board the ship when word came out it would be closed down. I think one boat that already took people had to come back. Couldn't also see the Redwood forest which I was super disappointed by.

Not sure how it plays out now, I'd imagine TSA and all those places will operate largely the same.

Funny coincidence, just checked that it was today 10 years ago we left for San Fran for our trip.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 03:21:27 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: October 03, 2023, 06:49:27 AM »
Maybe he means the Vatican Museums. True, you can enter in the St. Peter's Basilica by just queuing up, but to visit the Museums (and pass, among other things, through the Sistine Chapel) you need a ticket (and at the very least half a day of your time. Totally worth it however).

Yeah, this is what I meant. I came back a couple of days ago and I must say I have mixed feelings about my experience. Rome was mostly great. I enjoyed the tours and visiting all the awesome monuments and churches, and the amazing food of course. Napoli and the Amalfi coast on the other hand were a bummer. Napoli is way too chaotic, even for someone coming from Argentina. The Amalfi coast is nice, but everything is overpriced, it's overcrowded and getting to and from there is a real nightmare.
The highlight for me was Ostia, a little coastal town we went to on our last day since we had some hours to spare before returning. Really nice a quite place with some nice beaches.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #931 on: October 04, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions for places to each lunch and dinner in New York city?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #932 on: October 04, 2023, 06:57:07 AM »
Or perhaps in Queens?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #933 on: October 04, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »
Good food in Queens (I like to stay in Astoria when I'm there) is abundant. Hard to go wrong. In Manhattan I've found it to be more hit or miss. If you're near Times Square around lunch time I had a great meal at Tasty Hand Pulled Noodles on 9th. Not a place I'd go for dinner, it's typical NY diner decor, but nice for lunch. Good dumplings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #934 on: October 04, 2023, 08:55:51 AM »
We're staying just south of Queens, so we'll probably just go there. We are only in town for today before we catch out flight to Scotland in the morning.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #935 on: October 04, 2023, 09:19:13 AM »
We're staying just south of Queens, so we'll probably just go there. We are only in town for today before we catch out flight to Scotland in the morning.
If you look for Indian or Thai you should do pretty well. Those are usually my go-tos in NY, and it's served me very well.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #936 on: October 05, 2023, 04:22:41 AM »
If you look for Indian or Thai you should do pretty well. Those are usually my go-tos in NY, and it's served me very well.
Ended up eating at this little ramen shop for lunch, which I can't remember the name of now.... Then we ate at a burger place called The Local Press.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #937 on: October 05, 2023, 06:36:55 AM »
Driving to LA tomorrow to see Coheed NWFT Neverender :caffeine:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #938 on: October 05, 2023, 06:40:24 AM »
Driving to LA tomorrow to see Coheed NWFT Neverender :caffeine:

Enjoy  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #939 on: October 20, 2023, 05:32:38 PM »
In about a month I am going to be travelling to Perth for my cousin's Wedding, and since I am flying via Singapore I'm going to stop by for a few days on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations for either place?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: October 21, 2023, 07:35:24 AM »
Flying to Miami for the SS NEVERENDER COHEED CRUISE wooooooo fuck off tropical storm tammy!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: October 21, 2023, 07:40:00 AM »
Goodluck with the cruise! Hopefully the storm doesn't make it too bad, I was just on a cruise that had to skirt a storm.

Jealous of AAL on the bill.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #942 on: October 21, 2023, 07:48:11 AM »
Goodluck with the cruise! Hopefully the storm doesn't make it too bad, I was just on a cruise that had to skirt a storm.

Jealous of AAL on the bill.

I am prepared with prescription patches, sea bands, and Dramamine lol I may be over prepared but better than suffering! Im looking forward to AAL and HTS, husband excited for Mac Sabbath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #943 on: October 21, 2023, 07:54:26 AM »
Just checked the lineup.

Other than C&C, AAL, and Mac Sabbath, I've never heard of a single other band. :D

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #944 on: October 21, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »
Just checked the lineup.

Other than C&C, AAL, and Mac Sabbath, I've never heard of a single other band. :D

Most I hadn't heard of either. I've listened to them all and some definitely sound cool and I'm hoping to check them out!