Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57318 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #525 on: September 03, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »
I'm heading to New Orleans for a few days in October for a work conference. Hopefully I'll find some time to explore in the evenings. I'm staying right near the French quarter, so I suspect I'll be able to walk everywhere I need to go.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: September 03, 2022, 05:42:14 PM »
^
and stagger back afterwards ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #527 on: September 03, 2022, 09:28:52 PM »
All right, an update on my passport application appointment earlier today.  Went in, gave my paperwork, and paid around $167.00 via card (apparently, they allow you to use a card, but they have to charge around a $2.00 money order fee since it does need to be sent to the US Department of State) and that was that.

El Barto, as for parking at the Greek Theater after I saw Goo Goo Dolls today, here's how parking at the shuttle area work.  There are two parking lots.  One that serves as a regular parking lot for a Pony Ride service for children by day and a dirt lot next to the other lot.  You can park at the non-dirt lot after around 4 PM and it's better to park there than the dirt lot.  The first shuttle comes around after 5:00 PM (or roughly 2.5 hours before the first band starts).  You give the printed parking pass you buy for $10.00 to someone that can scan it.  They will give you a wristband so that you can get in the shuttle after the show ends and they give you a slip to put in the car in so that it will be in plain sight.  Afterwards, it will be a 15 minute ride from the lot to theater (of course, it varies due to being in a LA area on an afternoon).  Then, the driver will tell you where the shuttle to go back to the parking lot will be at when you get to the theater.  They told me the last shuttle goes out at 11:15.  I got into one at 10:45 and it took 10 minutes to go from theater to back to the parking lot (could be more, since I left after the band finish their main set and not after the encore.  The drive could take more time as people are leaving).  Afterwards, you exit out right and the 5 South Freeway entrance should be nearby on your right.

I will suggest parking and taking the shuttle as driving down a hill at night in a park area that's pretty darn pitch black is pretty risky, but that's just me.
Thanks for the intel. Driving a rental car down a pitch black hill in a park is my kind of good time. However, the idea of stacking cars up in those parking lots doesn't work for me at all. Sounds like normal parking may or may not be quicker, but it stands of the chance of being majorly uncool. I'm kinda wanting to be at the Admirals Club at 0700 before my flight, and wasting an hour the night before would suck. Definitely leaning towards that Pony train thing.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: September 04, 2022, 07:39:49 AM »
I guess I should add I'm also on vacation next week.  Doing a road trip to Boston for the Aerosmith concert at Fenway.  It's also my gf's birthday (who I didnt even know when I bought that Aerosmith ticket in 2020) so she's going to come and I booked up a very nice hotel and staying a bit longer than just the concert for her birthday (and we will celebrate mine as well next week since I'll be in Europe for my actual date).

I'm booked for another work Euro trip.  7 days in Amsterdam, 3 in Frankfurt to end September.  I don't really want to go, but so be it.  I thought my trip last month was going to be my last for a long time.

Have you been to Frankfurt before?

Yup, many times. My job sends me to same spots, so often if I go to Europe it's both Amsterdam and Frankfurt.

Oh nice man that sounds like a good time at the concert and hotel, going anywhere nice to eat?

I know you mentioned Amsterdam a lot but I couldn't remember if you've been to Frankfurt before. I've been twice and that's enough for me.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: September 05, 2022, 09:16:39 AM »
I'm heading out for an Alaskan cruise this weekend but I'm spending a day and a half in Seattle. We're staying near Pikes Place and plan on visiting The Wharf and Kerry park, doesn't anyone have any other places I should hit up?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: September 05, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
As someone who commuted to Seattle for work for a decade, I tend to avoid it like the plague these days   :)

Are you with kids? If so, how old? And who are you sailing with?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: September 05, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
No kids, just the wife and I. We are doing this cruise with Princess: https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/inside-passage-from-seattle/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2022, 09:51:21 AM »
Just curious. I worked for Holland America for years.

I probably should be the guy to ask about Seattle, but I rarely go there these days. I had to look up Kerry Park. Funny, that is a walk's distance from the Holland America office.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 05, 2022, 01:35:35 PM »
No kids, just the wife and I. We are doing this cruise with Princess: https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/inside-passage-from-seattle/

I can't help you out in Seattle, but I can give you a head's up as to the Inside Passage part of the trip.

We cruised up to Alaska via the Inside Passage eight years ago, made the same stops, and departed the ship for a trip through Anchorage for a tour of Denali the following day.

Anyhoo.....you will be so close to the shores that if someone was out in their yard with a dark blue tshirt, you'd be able to read whether it said 'Seahawks' or 'Mariners' on the front.

And...if it is night time, there was a point where we might have been moving 2MPH, made a couple of 45 to 90 degree turns, and went under some power lines that looked like they were less than a couple of feet above the smoke stacks.  And to see the stars above spinning during those turns in the pitch black was an unexpected highlight.

Enjoy
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: September 05, 2022, 02:07:00 PM »
I have sour feelings about cruising based on my employment experience, and even prior to that never had much of a desire to go on one. But should I ever do so, I'd go on an Alaska cruise. Not having to fly anywhere sways my opinion quite a bit.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: September 06, 2022, 06:41:53 AM »
When I was 15 or so we did some sort of underground city tour in Seattle and I remember thinking it was cool.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #536 on: September 09, 2022, 05:55:12 AM »
So I am going to be going outside the US for the first time to Europe. Anybody know what the deal is with with cellphone service (texting and data specifically)

I have a cheap carrier (Boost mobile) and I don't think it works in Europe. Anyone know how to get service? Do I get a sim card when I get there?

Thanks

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #537 on: September 09, 2022, 06:02:13 AM »
Check to see what their roaming service is. Boost uses AT&T network, which is available is all of Europe (If I'm not mistaken).

When I had Sprint (and even recently after T-Mobile merge), I was able to get data internationally at no additional cost in select countries/areas. It could be that Boost has a similar system or, cheap roaming options. Worst case, you can get a cheap phone when you get there and just do prepaid service.

Where in Europe are you going to?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 09, 2022, 06:35:51 AM »
So I am going to be going outside the US for the first time to Europe. Anybody know what the deal is with with cellphone service (texting and data specifically)

I have a cheap carrier (Boost mobile) and I don't think it works in Europe. Anyone know how to get service? Do I get a sim card when I get there?

Thanks

You really need to talk with your mobile provider. I've found them all to have wildly different rates and services that change unexpectedly. Nail down a plan that will cover your needs for the length of the visit. Sometimes monthly rates are better than weekly, too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2022, 08:24:46 AM »
When I travel to Mexico I just order up a Mexican SIM. In my experience the MVNOs don't generally offer their provider's roaming services, so even though T-Mobil might offer Mexican service Red Pocket does not. Downside is that you'll pay a bit more because they're tailoring the service to tourists. That way it's preconfigured, and all you have to do is plug it when your plane lands and you're good to go. I think I pay $30 for the SIM and a gig or so of data.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2022, 08:28:15 AM »
Thanks guys.

I did just check with Boost. They don't have Roaming currently, so I am going to get a local prepaid sim card and that do the trick.

Barto, do you buy them online before hand?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
Thanks guys.

I did just check with Boost. They don't have Roaming currently, so I am going to get a local prepaid sim card and that do the trick.

Barto, do you buy them online before hand?
Absolutely. Presumably you can just buy them at the airport when you arrive, but I'll pay a bit more to have it all setup and configured. I don't want to run into trouble getting the thing provisioned in a place I don't speak the language.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2022, 10:17:32 AM »
Thanks

How is the configuration? Just pop it in and good? Or a little more?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2022, 12:50:47 PM »
Thanks

How is the configuration? Just pop it in and good? Or a little more?
In my case (Mexico) you activate it before you leave, and my recollection is that you install it once you arrive and it's good to go. You might need to setup APM info, but I'm not sure.

Just check Amazon for European SIMs and you'll find a gazillion of them. Pick the one that best suits your needs and has thousands of good reviews. They should list the instructions on the product page, or else others have probably explained them. Something to keep in mind is that you're paying for data, and might not get voice/SMS. I consider that a bonus, and it's not like anybody will have your new number anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2022, 02:36:45 PM »
Perfect.

thanks again for the info

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2022, 03:02:57 PM »
Perfect.

thanks again for the info
Where are you heading?

Also, re-read your post, and if texting is important to you you'll want to look into that. It might be possible and people will just see your new European phone number +55, or it might not be. Something like What's App will solve that for you, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
Warsaw, Poland

Mainly need data for Uber and navigating around the city. I'll try and add texting as well. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2022, 03:15:51 PM »
I currently have ATT and they charge $10 a day for international roaming.  Honestly, I don't have too much of an issue.  I turn data off and live off wifi when I go out there.  But I have turned on the data for a day for various reasons (usually stuck somewhere without wifi and bored).  I'm seriously considering changing to Google Fi because it's very similar pricing and includes international service.   Also downloading a google offline map of where you will be is clutch so you can still rely on GPS services without data.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2022, 06:07:45 PM »
   Also downloading a google offline map of where you will be is clutch so you can still rely on GPS services without data.

Genius. I will be doing that

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 13, 2022, 10:37:56 PM »
Have been loving reading where you guys have been holidaying to....

Coming back to the United States in November-December this year (last trip was 2018)

This is my first overseas holiday since Covid, and lucky for me I have been able to throw in a couple of stays in Atlanta, Nashville and Chicago to see Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. (It was meant to be New Orleans, Savannah and New York only)

And now John Petrucci in Chicago. (Hopefully the venue is seated, I forked out a bundle for front row on the floor to now find out that it may not matter if security can't find your seat. They just put you anywhere. (Not sure if this is true, again reliant on reviews) Jeez Louise!

Also arriving from Australia on November 5, where I was going to fly straight to Atlanta, but I am thinking, of seeing John Petrucci in Anaheim, just trying to work out if it is worth the hassle of getting luggage held, getting to Anaheim, going to concert at House of Blues, then getting back to LAX, getting luggage returned for a 12.50am flight to Atlanta. This could be changed to a 6 or 7am flight, but then it means less time in Atlanta.

Has anyone (on this forum) done this before LAX - Transfer - Anaheim concert - Transfer - LAX flight all in the space of about 12 hours?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2022, 12:37:01 AM »
Man, that's pretty rough.  Assuming that you are renting a car for the day (or rack up the Uber/Lyft fees), I wouldn't want to risk it driving from HOB to LAX after the show possibly ends around 11 PM.  For one thing, unless you want to leave early, you could end up getting stuck in line for around 10-15 minutes trying to get out of the parking lot at the Anaheim Gardenwalk (where the HOB is at).  Also, it's still a 30-50 minute drive from HOB to LAX and then you got to clear TSA (and who knows how long that will take). 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2022, 05:54:01 AM »
I’m in Kentucky this week visiting children and grandchildren. Also going to the Bourbon and Beyond Festival on Saturday.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2022, 08:43:37 AM »

Coming back to the United States in November-December this year (last trip was 2018)

This is my first overseas holiday since Covid, and lucky for me I have been able to throw in a couple of stays in Atlanta, Nashville and Chicago to see Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. (It was meant to be New Orleans, Savannah and New York only)

And now John Petrucci in Chicago. (Hopefully the venue is seated, I forked out a bundle for front row on the floor to now find out that it may not matter if security can't find your seat. They just put you anywhere. (Not sure if this is true, again reliant on reviews) Jeez Louise!

Also arriving from Australia on November 5, where I was going to fly straight to Atlanta, but I am thinking, of seeing John Petrucci in Anaheim, just trying to work out if it is worth the hassle of getting luggage held, getting to Anaheim, going to concert at House of Blues, then getting back to LAX, getting luggage returned for a 12.50am flight to Atlanta. This could be changed to a 6 or 7am flight, but then it means less time in Atlanta.

Has anyone (on this forum) done this before LAX - Transfer - Anaheim concert - Transfer - LAX flight all in the space of about 12 hours?
The LAX-Anaheim-LAX thing is doable, but definitely sub-optimal. Part of it depends on ground transportation. If you're renting a car it'd be advisable to prepay for your gas. You'll get ripped off, but you're not going to want to burn 10 extra minutes during your run back to the airport. If all the pieces line up you're at the airport by midnight for a 0050 flight. If they don't you miss your flight by 30 minutes and they just rebook you on the early AM flight and you sleep on an LAX bench.

If you're hellbent to do this, look at flights in and out of SNA. It's a busy airport, so you should find decent flights, and it's much, much closer to Anaheim. Flying to ATL from SNA after the show would certainly be doable, though again sub-optimal.

Re Chicago, just get there before the show starts and you won't have any trouble with your seat.
E.F. Benson

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2022, 09:24:57 PM »
Man, that's pretty rough.  Assuming that you are renting a car for the day (or rack up the Uber/Lyft fees), I wouldn't want to risk it driving from HOB to LAX after the show possibly ends around 11 PM.  For one thing, unless you want to leave early, you could end up getting stuck in line for around 10-15 minutes trying to get out of the parking lot at the Anaheim Gardenwalk (where the HOB is at).  Also, it's still a 30-50 minute drive from HOB to LAX and then you got to clear TSA (and who knows how long that will take).

No car rental, (don't want my first LA drive to be this one), so it would be a car service. But thank you for the information.
It does sound terrible, it would have been fine it JP was going on at 8pm with no support, but not knowing how long he will play, and I wouldn't want to miss the end if he went longer.
I guess I have to weigh up either changing the flight to 6am or not going to Anaheim at all and get to Atlanta on the 5th which was the original plan.
What works in Anaheim's favour is that there are still good seats available, front row went late last week, but there is second and third, and a lot of other good ones.....I always go for up front as I am vertically challenged. I have spent many a concert behind tall guys.... DT 2017 in Sydney when JLB asked everyone on the flat floor to stand for the I&W album, that was the end of my viewing for about half an hour until some sat back down. At least for that concert, I knew I was seeing them in Melbourne the next night, so it wasn't the end of the world. (Sorry I am a chronic oversharer  :blush)

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2022, 09:36:53 PM »

The LAX-Anaheim-LAX thing is doable, but definitely sub-optimal. Part of it depends on ground transportation. If you're renting a car it'd be advisable to prepay for your gas. You'll get ripped off, but you're not going to want to burn 10 extra minutes during your run back to the airport. If all the pieces line up you're at the airport by midnight for a 0050 flight. If they don't you miss your flight by 30 minutes and they just rebook you on the early AM flight and you sleep on an LAX bench.

If you're hellbent to do this, look at flights in and out of SNA. It's a busy airport, so you should find decent flights, and it's much, much closer to Anaheim. Flying to ATL from SNA after the show would certainly be doable, though again sub-optimal.

Re Chicago, just get there before the show starts and you won't have any trouble with your seat.

Thanks for the reply El Barto as I just told Anguyen92 no car hire, it will be a booked car service of some description. (I have driven in America but mainly in the South on the 10 heading from New Orleans towards Georgia etc. I have been told LA roads are pretty crazy at the best of times)

I assume SNA is another airport? ... Unfortunately I have booked the flight on a multi city ticket, so I can change it, within a day either side, just not cancel it, Delta are pretty good with the changing to a later time should I need it. I may just do that, that way I don't have to rush out of the venue after the concert.

Thank you for the info regarding Chicago concert. I will be picking up my ticket at the box office earlier that day so I will see how many people are lining up early.

Regarding Chicago where have you stayed there in the past, (you or anyone else) I saw a few pages back someone mentioned I think The Bradley, I will have to look that up. First time going there, I am there for four nights doing some touristy things, but have booked JP at the Vic Theater and Steve Vai at the Copernicus Center, which I will have to catch the train to. Have currently booked Hotel Julian, but open to any suggestions.  :smiley:

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2022, 10:27:46 PM »
I’m traveling from Florida to NY to see Porcupine Tree at Radio City , the final band on my Mt Rushmore
that I haven’t seen live … can’t wait !!!
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2022, 06:25:05 AM »
I’m traveling from Florida to NY to see Porcupine Tree at Radio City , the final band on my Mt Rushmore
Safe Travels and enjoy!

I'll be at the show as well  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2022, 08:10:21 AM »
Safe Travels and enjoy!

I'll be at the show as well  :metal

:metal :metal

I think Axeman and Nick will be there too.  Probably even more DTF folks as well.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2022, 08:15:01 PM »
You sure were right , but it was DT folks !!!Jordan was there !! In the Orchestra section on Floor on the right side about 5 rows back !!
The show was phenomenal!!! Steven Wilson is AMAZING !!!
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2022, 04:34:58 PM »
JR was there? I had no idea and yeah, the show was awesome.

I just checked into my flight to Amsterdam tomorrow for work while on the train into NYC to see Eric Clapton tonight. Will also be driving to Frankfurt next week before flying home from there.