Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485951 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5775 on: December 16, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
I record and release videos of my playing video games but I dont even watch others. I'd rather play as well. My friend streama and also asks me to watch but I couldn't care. I find watching others play so boring. Load the game up and get me in there.

I know you do, and I hope you know I certainly mean no offense.  I get that it's a big deal, and in fact, my stepson can watch for hours.  There are also benefits for spoilers/hints as well.  I was really making the point that  FOR ME, it's secondary to actually playing (which it sounds like you agree with). 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5776 on: December 16, 2019, 09:51:09 AM »
I record and release videos of my playing video games but I dont even watch others. I'd rather play as well. My friend streama and also asks me to watch but I couldn't care. I find watching others play so boring. Load the game up and get me in there.

That Stadia feature that is supposed to be coming soon, that one that lets people join into a game via stream - that sounds pretty awesome. I just hope they can make it work consistently and reliably. I wonder how that would affect sales though.

Why would streamers want people to join them via the stream?  I'm not familiar with this so I'm not sure I understand.  As far as I know, most streamers aren't going to want to game with randoms and that includes my friend who won't game with me when he streams.  Another reason why I don't bother watching him.

I know you do, and I hope you know I certainly mean no offense.  I get that it's a big deal, and in fact, my stepson can watch for hours.  There are also benefits for spoilers/hints as well.  I was really making the point that  FOR ME, it's secondary to actually playing (which it sounds like you agree with). 

Oh I know, I get that.  I will occassionally watch youtube videos on "how to" for games.  One of my most viewed gaming videos was actually a test I did for my equipment (can i record myself gaming and make a video out of it?) and I filmed myself discovering a hidden crypt in Rise of the Tomb Raider.  It's not really entertaining and it's fairly poorly done, but because it was about how to find a crypt, it got more views than any of my typical gaming videos (which are of a totally different style).  I've thought about just making more "how to" videos for games, but it's not as fun for me but that's a huge market for gaming videos. 

In RDR2, there's youtubers who release daily videos on how to do the daily challenges, that's like a full time job  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5777 on: December 16, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »

That Stadia feature that is supposed to be coming soon, that one that lets people join into a game via stream - that sounds pretty awesome. I just hope they can make it work consistently and reliably. I wonder how that would affect sales though.

Why would streamers want people to join them via the stream?  I'm not familiar with this so I'm not sure I understand.  As far as I know, most streamers aren't going to want to game with randoms and that includes my friend who won't game with me when he streams.  Another reason why I don't bother watching him.

I think that's a function of it, but I think it's more like, "Hey, this guy I'm watching is playing a cool game, I want to try it out" so they click something that lets them jump right in and play that game. I dunno if it's intended for multiplayer functionality like, say, if someone's watching Fortnite and they can jump right into the streamer's game. But I could be wrong on that. I think if you're watching a cool single player game and want to jump in for a few minutes, then that's a really cool function. IF that's how it works. Stadia launched with like 20% of its functionality so who knows  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5778 on: December 20, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
Red Dead Online is winterized for the holidays.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5779 on: December 22, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
Picked up Witcher 3 for Switch.

Its definitely rough around the edges, but runs/looks fairly decent. I'm impressed.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5780 on: December 22, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »
Is this your first go around for witcher 3? I heard the switch port was decent.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5781 on: December 22, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
Mangs, I'm in a gaming slump. I bought a bunch of good games during the last sale but I don't feel like playing any of them. I'm currently replaying Far Cry Primal which I enjoyed the first time around but I'm not enjoying it so much this time. I don't even feel like finishing it. And I have a BUTTload of unplayed games that I don't want to play. What's a Herrick to do?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5782 on: December 22, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
Oh so I had this issue about a year ago. I have almost 400 games in my steam library and what I've started doing is giving each game an hour if I like it, I'll keep playing it, if I don't I move on.

I also typically will have a game in each genre. So for multiplayer I'm playing either overwatch or smite now, RPGs is outer worlds, racing game is wreck fest.

For a long time I'd just stare at my steam library and keep scrolling until i went to bed and not play anything

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5783 on: December 22, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
Mangs, I'm in a gaming slump. I bought a bunch of good games during the last sale but I don't feel like playing any of them. I'm currently replaying Far Cry Primal which I enjoyed the first time around but I'm not enjoying it so much this time. I don't even feel like finishing it. And I have a BUTTload of unplayed games that I don't want to play. What's a Herrick to do?

Come collect treasure with Chino and myself in RDR2 PC?

Apparently Halo Reach is on PC now, I had no idea its been out. That's tempting, but I am just loving messing around in RDR2 still

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5784 on: December 22, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
Oh so I had this issue about a year ago. I have almost 400 games in my steam library and what I've started doing is giving each game an hour if I like it, I'll keep playing it, if I don't I move on.

I also typically will have a game in each genre. So for multiplayer I'm playing either overwatch or smite now, RPGs is outer worlds, racing game is wreck fest.

For a long time I'd just stare at my steam library and keep scrolling until i went to bed and not play anything

LoL I stare at my GoG and Steam library then I end up just watching some TV shows or a movie on my computer.

Come collect treasure with Chino and myself in RDR2 PC?

Apparently Halo Reach is on PC now, I had no idea its been out. That's tempting, but I am just loving messing around in RDR2 still

That's a kind offer, Good Sir. I've never really been into multiplayer stuff. RDR2 was great but I finished it a few months ago on the PS4 and I've no interest in visiting that world again unless someone can mod the movement speeds. I hated that slooooow-ass walk Arthur does outside of camp. They should've had that fast camp walk everywhere in the game.

Edit: That was a bit too harsh. I loved that game but it's too soon for me to get back into it. I'd definitely play through it again one day.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5785 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:36 PM »
Slow walking in camp is definitely lame in single player, makes a bit more sense in multiplayer but is still annoying

also, I encountered black santa tonight  :rollin https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1208981782571421696 this is why I play personally, we did some bounties together as well which were just fun and yes, very stupid but everyone was laughing in this random posse we formed

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5786 on: December 22, 2019, 11:07:17 PM »
Slow walking in camp is definitely lame in single player, makes a bit more sense in multiplayer but is still annoying

also, I encountered black santa tonight  :rollin https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1208981782571421696 this is why I play personally, we did some bounties together as well which were just fun and yes, very stupid but everyone was laughing in this random posse we formed

Agreed no running in camp is dumb but my point is it's dumb you can walk faster in camp and indoor places but you can't walk faster in any other outdoor environment. Outside of camp, all we got was a painfully slow walk or a goofy jog. Shit drove Herrick nuts especially in the crowded areas of St. Denis. How about CockSt*r giving the player the mofuckin' option to use whatever movement speed we want to use?

I hate when games have such limiting movement speeds and that's why I opt to use a gamepad over keyboard & mouse. I like being able to gradually increase movement speed with the thumbstick in games that have that option. Assassin's Creed 3 had the best movement animations. I think it was that one. You had a slow walk, a slightly faster walk, an even faster walk, a slight jog, a faster jog, and even faster running. It looked and felt good to use. I don't always want to run around in a town like a crazy mang. And no, I didn't even like AC3 that much.

There are some games that were focused on consoles that don't even give us those movement speeds like Mass Effect. Useless slow walking then a jog and sprint. That's it. I know most gamers don't care about this. It's a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:17:10 PM by Herrick »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5787 on: December 23, 2019, 04:34:40 AM »
Is this your first go around for witcher 3? I heard the switch port was decent.

This is my 3rd go around, lol.

I've had it for PS4 for years, but never make it very far. Its a very in depth game with all it has to offer and I'm just not into video games as much I was when I was a kid. I pick them up, do a couple hours and end up putting them down these days unfortunately.

That's why I truly love the switch. Its technically always on, and just sitting there. I just pick it up and I am right back playing. This pick up and play aspect helps being able to invest in video games more in my busy adult life.

I feel 100% the same way. Even on days when I'm completely off, I just don't feel like playing them. If you told me that to my 12 year old self I would have though "no way", but It is what it is. But back then I wasn't working Full Time and sometimes I just want to sit, relax and recover.  And if its nice out, the bike will always come first, lol.

Its just funny that as a Kid I looked forward to being an adult and being able to afford ALL the games and now I have all the games I want and don't even feel like playing them  :lol   Life is funny
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:44:54 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5788 on: December 23, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »

Who do you like playing in Overwatch?
Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5789 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
95% of the time Pharah, I'm way better with her than anyone else. I like playing her because it reminds me of the days when I played Tribes. I'm also half-way decent with D.Va and Solider.

What about you?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5790 on: December 24, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »
Omg - can't believe it. Got the PS4!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5791 on: December 24, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »
Nice!!! :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5792 on: December 24, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
Phew. It's all set up and downloading HZD and God of War. Still amazed I have this. The controller is actually super comfy. Hooray for me.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5793 on: December 25, 2019, 04:06:31 AM »
95% of the time Pharah, I'm way better with her than anyone else. I like playing her because it reminds me of the days when I played Tribes. I'm also half-way decent with D.Va and Solider.

What about you?

When I play competitively it's usually support. Usually I play either Baptiste or Zenyatta, depending on the map, but I'll dabble in Lucio or Moira depending on the rest of the team. If I play damage it's usually Reaper. Reinhardt is one of the most fun heroes for me to play, I'm just not very good with him, way too aggro :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5794 on: December 25, 2019, 05:23:52 AM »
Phew. It's all set up and downloading HZD and God of War. Still amazed I have this. The controller is actually super comfy. Hooray for me.

I finally started playing HZD a month or so ago - it was a Christmas gift from jingle.son last year!  Loving it.

Glad you finally have a real console, Tiny Hands. :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5795 on: December 25, 2019, 05:25:30 AM »
Aloy's a badass. Enjoy, you two.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5796 on: December 25, 2019, 05:27:07 AM »

I just stayed my first Stormhawk - first try too!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5797 on: December 25, 2019, 05:36:20 AM »

Excellent! Those are a bugger, but I'd rather them than a Rockbreaker!! :)

Edit: I assume you liberally used the rope caster, yes? That's the only way I can think of taking down a Stormbird, first try.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:45:13 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5798 on: December 25, 2019, 05:52:41 AM »

I finally started playing HZD a month or so ago - it was a Christmas gift from jingle.son last year!  Loving it.

I started HZD about a month ago and I loved the first couple of hours. I'll probably play more now that the visit from the in laws is over.

What about you?

When I play competitively it's usually support. Usually I play either Baptiste or Zenyatta, depending on the map, but I'll dabble in Lucio or Moira depending on the rest of the team. If I play damage it's usually Reaper. Reinhardt is one of the most fun heroes for me to play, I'm just not very good with him, way too aggro :lol

I like Reinhardt too but I'm the same, I try to go in and charge the fight. Are you gonna pick up ow 2?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5799 on: December 25, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

Excellent! Those are a bugger, but I'd rather them than a Rockbreaker!! :)

Edit: I assume you liberally used the rope caster, yes? That's the only way I can think of taking down a Stormbird, first try.

Yeah, totally.  I'd just finished the fourth Hunting Trials (where one of them is rope-casting Tramplers; and another is rope-casting a Glinthawk), so that technique was fresh on my mind.  I got super lucky with the Stormhawk that was right next door.  For some reason, it just hovered for a good 20 seconds, and I got a bunch of tear-blaster shots on it, tied 'im down twice, both times unloading a shit-ton of bombs, then a shit ton of fire arrows.  Miraculously, the Snapmaws that were in the area seemed to be oblivious to me, as none of them really got much of a shot on me.

Time to cash in that and my Thunderjaw trophy.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5800 on: December 25, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »

I started HZD about a month ago and I loved the first couple of hours. I'll probably play more now that the visit from the in laws is over.

What about you?

I like Reinhardt too but I'm the same, I try to go in and charge the fight. Are you gonna pick up ow 2?

For sure. I absolutely love the Archives events they've had (admittedly Havana was a little phoned in, but we all know why now). I'm just worried about how much of the player base will lose interest if we have another year or more of very little in the way of new heroes/maps/content before OW2 drops.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5801 on: December 25, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »
I never bothered with the ropecaster (or a few other weapons) on my first playthrough but when I played it again I found them so useful.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5802 on: December 26, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
Omg omg omg God of War. I played a few hours yesterday, I got up to Tyr's Bridge at Aflheim before stopping for the night. That first hour of the game had my jaw on the floor. The cinematics are crazy. I shouldn't be surprised by the graphics but I am blown away by how beautiful this game is.

Then I checked out the online store. $30 for RDR2. $15 for GTAV premium online edition (even though I've already bought the game twice and played hundreds of hours, I can't resist this title). $20 for Spider-Man. I think Kingdom Hearts 3 was down to $20 or $30. And more...

The controller is super comfy but I don't quite understand the point of the touch pad and the share/option buttons are startlingly small and don't have much of a tactile response (so I constantly have to look down to see if I'm pressing them or the touchpad by mistake). I love how the controller's light changes color depending on what's happening in-game (Spartan rage turns it orange!). I do not have tiny hands!!  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5803 on: December 26, 2019, 07:50:46 AM »
I never bothered with the ropecaster (or a few other weapons) on my first playthrough but when I played it again I found them so useful.

Yeah, I'm learning they can be incredibly useful - tie a machine down, then hit the weakest parts (like a shock arrow to a power cell), or set traps/wires all around them, or just bomb the ever loving crap out of 'em.  Might try tieing one down, then hit 'em with a few shots of a tearblaster.  Not sure if that would be a useful technique or not.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5804 on: December 26, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

Yeah, I'm learning they can be incredibly useful - tie a machine down, then hit the weakest parts (like a shock arrow to a power cell), or set traps/wires all around them, or just bomb the ever loving crap out of 'em.  Might try tieing one down, then hit 'em with a few shots of a tearblaster.  Not sure if that would be a useful technique or not.

The bolded part was the most useful to me over time. I got to the point where I could use focus and bring down almost any machine by attacking their vulnerable points with the right elemental attack. For instance, piercing the freeze canisters on Stormbirds is way more effective than hitting them with multiple freeze bombs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5805 on: December 26, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Just bought Doom, Spider-man, and Red Dead 2 for $60  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5806 on: December 26, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »

Well, your down to $440 now.  :lol

Play Spider-man stat!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5807 on: December 26, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »

Well, your down to $440 now.  :lol

Play Spider-man stat!

:lol

I'm not sure what I'll play after God of War. I'm also guaranteed to play RDR2 by this weekend since my buddies are coming over and we'll probably throw that on and have some drinks and good around in it. I think I'm done buying games til at least March  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5808 on: December 27, 2019, 07:31:12 AM »
I've been slowly, but steadily making my way through Jedi: Fallen Order. As just a casual gamer, it's been pretty tough to get the hang of the precision parrying mechanic that is required to truly excel at combat.

Throughout the history of games, there has always been this element of requiring the player to replay scenarios until they get the timing (or get lucky enough) to progress past an opponent. Fallen Order (and I understand Dark Souls, although I've never played it) seems to take it to extremes though. Some of the special monster/opponents are ridiculously aggressive (even on lower difficulty) and I think the game is unbalanced in regards to stun. It's ridiculously easy for your opponent to knock you down and get your character in a stun-lock due to the time it takes to recover. On the other hand, you can score massive damage from a well executed move and your opponent recovers almost instantly with a counter attack. Scoring a hard earned hit often feels not weighty enough. Still, the player has a clear advantage by having the Force, right? Not if you keep running into opponents who are force resistant/immune.

Thus, the game has a parry mechanic. Done right, it can lead to instant kill attacks. Bigger, nastier enemies require successive parries until you can rock them. Don't get the split-second parry exactly right and you open yourself to getting rocked yourself.

Cool game though! Successful combat is very satisfying. I'm still motivated to play it out and see where the story goes, but I don't really want to be forced to put the game in "story mode" just to finish. I'm not devoted to gaming enough to play constantly in order to get good at playing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5809 on: December 27, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »
Fallen Order is pretty decent.

I lost interest and stopped playing though sadly. And the level design confuses the hell out of me  :P    At some point I'm gonna try and get further in it.