Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 485988 times)

Offline TL

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1645 on: October 27, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »
Anyone planning on picking up Halo 5? I was initially really excited for this based on how awesome Halo 4 was, but after reading the you only play as Masterchief for 20% of the story I'm concerned. I'm not into multiplayer and only play Halo for the story. Based on early reviews the story isn't great. Going to wait until the price drops and save up for Battle Front and Tomb Raider instead.

For me, 95% of my time with past Halo games has been playing local co-op, and split-screen multiplayer. Since Halo 5 apparently doesn't have either of these things, I'll be giving it a pass. It's pretty disappointing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1646 on: October 27, 2015, 01:22:59 PM »
Also is it just me or does it not look that impressive graphically? Like I've only seen clips people are uploading o the xbox store but it doesn't look very next gen at all which is pretty disappointing considering how great some games already look this gen. Granted I've only seen short clips but eyeh.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1647 on: October 27, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
Anyone planning on picking up Halo 5? I was initially really excited for this based on how awesome Halo 4 was, but after reading the you only play as Masterchief for 20% of the story I'm concerned. I'm not into multiplayer and only play Halo for the story. Based on early reviews the story isn't great. Going to wait until the price drops and save up for Battle Front and Tomb Raider instead.

For me, 95% of my time with past Halo games has been playing local co-op, and split-screen multiplayer. Since Halo 5 apparently doesn't have either of these things, I'll be giving it a pass. It's pretty disappointing.

It's kind of lame, don't you think? We finally have televisions big enough and consoles powerful enough to handle high-quality, high frame rate split screen games, and the game makers choose not to bother with it. Damn. I remember four us huddling around a 19 inch screen to play N64 with four players... would have been heaven on a 60".

Offline adace

« Reply #1648 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »
I'm really excited to play Halo 5 as I'm a huge fan of the series but the reviews have me concerned about the plot. I just really hope there's significant progress on the overall story arc.

Also, here's the trailer for Detroit, the new game from Quantic Dream (developers of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2gW7hmXu4

It looks seriously amazing from the graphics to the feels. Count me aboard the hype train.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1649 on: October 27, 2015, 06:36:50 PM »
Welp, AC Syndicate is fantastic, I think. It's like all the best parts of Rogue and Unity were carried over and they revamped that terrible cover system (the "sneak mode" is an improvement in every way) and brought back the whistle mechanic. Taking back territory reminds me of Saints Row and I like that. The grappling hook has basically made it so I don't want to climb anything ever again. The two main leads are way more like-able than Arno ever was. I like all the continuity nods and that the map isn't outright swamped in shit to collect like Unity was.

Oh it's lightyears better than Rogue and Unity....especially Unity. Unity is the only AC game that made me legit mad from a game play aspect. Jacob and Evie are also better characters than Arno and Shay.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1650 on: October 28, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »
I'm really excited to play Halo 5 as I'm a huge fan of the series but the reviews have me concerned about the plot. I just really hope there's significant progress on the overall story arc.

Also, here's the trailer for Detroit, the new game from Quantic Dream (developers of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2gW7hmXu4

It looks seriously amazing from the graphics to the feels. Count me aboard the hype train.
Yea they're doing a game of the Kara tech demo unvield a couple of years ago! Too bad it's exclusive though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1651 on: October 28, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
i did pacifist twice  :lol
can't bring myself to kill -anything- in this game lol

I did it.

I don't feel good about it.

I mean I feel accomplished because I beat that boss but

My friends

...my name is Araragi.

Offline adace

« Reply #1652 on: October 29, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »
Beat Halo 5's campaign. Not my favorite Halo game although with the boost and ground pound I think it does have the best gameplay of the series.

The story's really interesting and well-done. Can't wait to see what happens in the next game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: October 29, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »
Beat Halo 5's campaign. Not my favorite Halo game although with the boost and ground pound I think it does have the best gameplay of the series.

The story's really interesting and well-done. Can't wait to see what happens in the next game.

I heard people are not happy with Halo 5's storyline.  I just finished mission 5 last night, taking my time with this as these type of games are so short so I'd rather take it slow and enjoy it.  The gameplay as you said is fantastic, really enjoy the feel of this game and the multiplayer so far is really fun as usual, but feels way better than previous Halos.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1654 on: October 30, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
I want it. I want it. I WANT IT!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: October 30, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
Until you swing a sword into your TV and destroy it

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1656 on: October 30, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
Until you swing a sword into your TV and destroy it

I feel like this is going to be too common of a problem for the designers to not account for. Remember the Wii-mote fiasco? I'm assuming (hoping) there will be software smart enough to alert you if you are getting too close to your television. Either flash a warning in your headset or have a very distinguishable beep. It wouldn't be hard. The camera has to be able to detects your movements along all three axis anyway, they could just have it set to alert if you come within say three feet of the camera.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:54:18 AM by Chino »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1657 on: October 30, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »

Is that the Vive?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1658 on: October 30, 2015, 09:24:38 AM »

Wouldn't that make you head hurt and want to throw up within 30 seconds? Honest question. I have enough dizziness issues dealing with regular 3D person shooters to even attempt putting that in front of my eyes.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1659 on: October 31, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »
I'm debating between getting Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, or Skyrim. I've never played any of them, so I thought I'd ask: Which is your favorite and why?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1660 on: October 31, 2015, 11:55:31 PM »
Fallout 3, because it's post-apocalyptic, has a dark humor, lots of cool weapons and places to visit, and I never thought radiation could be so fun. But Skyrim has fucking dragons and epic missions. So it's up to you - or why not both?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1661 on: October 31, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
For me Skyrim had a whole lot more to do, had a lot more variety, and had a far more interesting world to explore than Fallout 3. I haven't played New Vegas so can't comment on that one.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1662 on: November 01, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »
Hell, if both is an option then definitely both. I love both for different reasons. I'm an apocalyptic addict and love that realm a lot more than the somewhat cliche, mostly 'normal' fantasy that Skyrim has; but the actual world, interaction and all around MASSIVE exploration of Skyrim is leads, bounds, and lightyears ahead of Fallout 3. So on that note, I'd say get Fallout 3 first since it'll take FAR less of your time and you'll finish it first if it's one or the other for now. I actually love Skyrim and it's world, it's gorgeous, but in terms of what I prefer, I'm much more apocalyptic prone, hence my immense excitement for F4. It'll have the exploration of Skyrim plus the upgraded graphics, sound, everything! That's another thing, you're going to have the option (if you have the means to play it, dunno if you're playing on PC or not and if it's got the power if so) to play what is hopefully going to be F3 on steroids and just all around better, so Skyrim might be a better option for now. But we'll see if F4 lives up to expectations. I can't imagine it not.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1663 on: November 01, 2015, 05:31:09 AM »
The correct choice is Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Also, FALLOUT 4 IS 9 DAYS AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1664 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »

*snip*
Wouldn't that make you head hurt and want to throw up within 30 seconds? Honest question. I have enough dizziness issues dealing with regular 3D person shooters to even attempt putting that in front of my eyes.

It's different for everyone. I've watched plenty of content in 3D and have gamed in 3D for many hours on top of that. I've never once gotten a headache from it. I anticipate having no problems with VR. If you're someone who can't make it through a tow hour 3D imax movie without feeling like crap, this might be tough for you. However, I have read that your brain in time will adjust to the discomfort if you deal with it for a while.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: November 02, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
I'm debating between getting Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, or Skyrim. I've never played any of them, so I thought I'd ask: Which is your favorite and why?

Why not just wait for Fallout 4?

But Skyrim if you like more fantasy and Fallout 3 if you like more sci fi.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1666 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »

Why not just wait for Fallout 4?

But Skyrim if you like more fantasy and Fallout 3 if you like more sci fi.

Before playing Skyrim, I had absolutely no interest in that kind of game and/or world. The only thing that got me to stop playing it was my PS3 bricking after about 250 hours of play. I would highly recommend Skyrim.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1667 on: November 04, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll probably wait till one or more of them go on sale and then pick one up. (I doubt fallout 4 will be on sale before next summer, but we can dream can't we?)

Going along similar lines, I'm working on building a PC. This is what I'm looking at right now, and while I don't have all of the parts lined up yet, I thought I might just ask what you all think.

One more question. Best OS for gaming? Windows 10 would appear to be the best long term decision, but I don't claim to be an expert.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1668 on: November 04, 2015, 12:51:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll probably wait till one or more of them go on sale and then pick one up. (I doubt fallout 4 will be on sale before next summer, but we can dream can't we?)

Going along similar lines, I'm working on building a PC. This is what I'm looking at right now, and while I don't have all of the parts lined up yet, I thought I might just ask what you all think.

One more question. Best OS for gaming? Windows 10 would appear to be the best long term decision, but I don't claim to be an expert.
Don't forget a powersupply unless you have one. If you ask me I think I would put a few more bucks into the gpu, atleast a 960. Never had AMD parts so I can't say anything about those.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1669 on: November 04, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
Looks fine aside from MrBoom's point about the PSU (and I'm not sure you'd need an 8 core CPU just for gaming, but it can't hurt). As for OS, I don't know what the general consensus currently is on Windows 10, but I would think it would be best for future proofing for graphics API and general compatibility. But it's still a new OS, so I have no idea.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1670 on: November 04, 2015, 02:32:41 AM »

My favourite of those is definitely Fallout New Vegas, but all three are pretty great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1671 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
I wish Skyrim would get a PS4 remaster. I only ever played oblivion for a bit, but thought the combat was clunky. Especially considering the "flop" that elder scrolls online has been (anybody play it, I've never heard of anybody who has, so I'm scared to buy it), Bethesda could do with a comeback in the series.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1672 on: November 04, 2015, 07:32:44 AM »
I wish Skyrim would get a PS4 remaster.

+1

If they remastered that with PS4 graphics and Playstation VR support, I'd pay $100+ for it without hesitation.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1673 on: November 04, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
I'd rather just get a new Elder Scrolls game lol. Does not sound like that's happening for quite awhile though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1674 on: November 04, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
I'm essentially buying Fallout 4 simply to cover the gap between Elder Scroll games. I was really hoping they would do a PS4 Skyrim, but alas, it was not to be.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1675 on: November 05, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
PC build draft 2, as built by my brother. Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/p/hJzcXL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1676 on: November 05, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »

Any particular reasons for going with a Micro ATX?

Offline adace

« Reply #1677 on: November 06, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Just finished the campaign on Black Ops 3. I really like the customization and special abilities but the levels and enemies didn't really feel varied enough. Spending several levels in the same city shooting the same enemies is just boring. By the end of the game it just felt like a chore to shoot through all those waves of robots and enemy soldiers, especially with the weird plot being so hard to follow at times. I'm just glad to have finished it. Doubt I'll replay it anytime soon.

Overall I like Advanced Warfare better even if that game's story is pretty cliched. I'm really hoping the next CoD takes place entirely in space.

Anyways, I'm so looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider next week (and Fallout 4 of course).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:26:24 AM by adace »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1678 on: November 07, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

Convenience/portablility and price mostly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: November 09, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »

Convenience/portablility and price mostly.

Portability? You plan on bringing your pc around with you? I wouldn't go with a mini case unless you were looking for a really small pc to fit in a small spot. You will lose room for expansion.

Otherwise my only suggestion would be at least a 2tb spindle hard drive. They are so cheap and data is only growing. My personal pictures and videos from my phone take up so much space alone on my pc, let alone once you start installing games you will fill that up quickly.