Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488187 times)

Offline adace

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1785 on: December 06, 2015, 02:29:22 AM »
Got Just Cause 3 but so far it's pretty average to me. Maybe it's because of the cheesy, almost tacked-on story. Maybe it's also because I feel this game is just begging to be played with cheats, which are sadly no longer a reality for console games. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1786 on: December 06, 2015, 02:43:30 AM »
Never could get into that series. Looks like a game I'd love but it's not what I was expecting.  :-\

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1787 on: December 06, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
Holy shit that looks amazing. Fucking hell yes, I am so glad they had the balls to change up the battle system that much. I also cannot wait to see the cinematics that I once shed a tear to as a kid when they were blocky polygons...now that they're this amazing...gawdayum I'mm'a need sum TISSUES.

I cannot wait for this shit. BOOM, PS4 bought. That's all it takes. Well not really cause I'm broke and it could actually still end up mediocre but I am extremely hopeful after seeing that.

I also can't wait to masturbate with the tears of those who can't take off their nostalgia glasses and will undoubtedly bitch and moan over this not being traditional. MUUUAHAHAHA. *fapfapfap*
This this this! I've seen so many fanboys moan over the fact that it isn't turn based anymore. Well...go play the frigging original then! I'm glad they're changing things up! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1788 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
So serious question:

If they re-released Street Fighter 2 but it was not a fighting game anymore, would you think people were just being blinded by nostalgia if they weren't into that?

What if we remade Doom as a point and click adventure?

If you change the gameplay it's not the same game.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1789 on: December 06, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »
FF VII is my favorite game of all time, so bring that shit on  :metal :metal

+7  :metal

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1790 on: December 06, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
So serious question:

If they re-released Street Fighter 2 but it was not a fighting game anymore, would you think people were just being blinded by nostalgia if they weren't into that?

Are you saying FFVII will stop being an RPG if they replace the turn based combat system?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »
It will stop being a JRPG and become at best an Action RPG.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1792 on: December 06, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
So serious question:

I wouldn't be able to judge until I played those remakes in whatever genre they were in. I don't find beat 'em ups very interesting, so if they remade Street Fighter as a story-driven action adventure, say, I'd be a hell of a lot more interested. As for Doom, if they made a great story out of a point-n-click game, then yeah why not! Though Doom isn't really known for being particularly story-rich.

Point is, for many (nay, most) people, the fact that FFVII is turn-based is not why people like it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: December 06, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »
That's fine if you could get into it yourself, but would you be looking down on fans of the original who weren't fans of whatever new genre was chosen? The hostility towards people who aren't super excited about this game is a little odd.

Like I said, I haven't been happy with the way Square's been taking Final Fantasy for like 10 years now, so I'm certainly not going to give them any more money.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1794 on: December 06, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
I predict a DT RPG for PS4 based on TA.

It will suck ass, but we'll all play it because of the soundtrack... which will not be the album.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1795 on: December 06, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
That's fine if you could get into it yourself, but would you be looking down on fans of the original who weren't fans of whatever new genre was chosen?
For disliking it, absolutely not. But there are definitely people who take it further than that, bemoaning everything about it and saying what Square should or shouldn't be doing. I'm totally cool with anyone disliking for any reason, but some people take it too far.

I don't include you in that, though - from what I can recall of your posts here about it, you simply state your own dislike of the idea, which is completely fine.

One thing I am interested in, though, if whether you like any other action RPG's or hybrid ones (elements of turn-based combat, like FFXII or KOTOR)? As in, are you not a fan of what they seem to be doing with the remake because you genuinely aren't a fan of non turn-based games, or because you don't think the Final Fantasy series should go down that route?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:33 PM »
I like plenty of non-turn-based games, my issue comes from two places basically:

1) I don't feel that Final Fantasy has executed it well yet and don't really expect them to going forward

2) Very few companies make games in my favourite genre anymore, basically only Atlus. The last time I really liked a Squeenix game was Bravely Default, when they went back to their roots.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1797 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
I like plenty of non-turn-based games, my issue comes from two places basically:

1) I don't feel that Final Fantasy has executed it well yet and don't really expect them to going forward

2) Very few companies make games in my favourite genre anymore, basically only Atlus. The last time I really liked a Squeenix game was Bravely Default, when they went back to their roots.
Well, that's fine if you feel that way. But for me, and I guess for other people as well, I just don't see the point in upgrading the visuals and leaving everything else exactly the way it was. I mean, the original game is still there to play - it's even avaliable for the PS4 now! But it makes me much more excited to use the original game's ideas and expanding on them.
It will stop being a JRPG and become at best an Action RPG.
So no game that has ditched the turn based system has ever been qualified as an RPG then? That's a bit narrow, isn't it? That means there hasn't been an RPG released for many years. :)

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1798 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
Well, I said JRPG. And they do still make those games. Two recent examples are Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensri Iv.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1799 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
FFVII Remake a 'multi-part' game.

I'm not too sure what this means but I'm guessing that with the recent comment of the battle system not being entirely action...that either some entries will change things up by being traditional and others being action-oriented at certain points because different people will be directing each part...or that it'll simply be released ala the Telltale Games and be directed in a certain cinematic way for each one, either still changing up the battle system or just being different thematically. There's nothing to go on really but I don't like this that much. Not a huge deal considering they'll all more than likely be released all at once at some point but I've just always disliked this format of releasing a game. I haven't minded for Telltale games but then again that's basically waiting for the episodes of a 'show'...this is a completely different kind of game and experience. Hrrmm... Erring on the side of caution is always good. I'll continue to do so.

Gen, I definitely get you on the JRPG aspect and I haven't even given the time of day to the FF series for years. So when they announced a while back that they'd be changing a lot of things in this remake, I more or less decided then that I'd just take what comes. I definitely love my JRPGs, but then again like you said, Atlus is the main JRPG company these days and I love me some SMT; that more than satiates my JRPG need along with the few that come here and there from other companies. I'm pretty much under the thought that the FF series is either dead or going to be an afterthought after these next few big releases. I mean it has been for a while for me but these releases will either solidify that for me or be a turning point for the better. SMT is always going to be SMT, and for that I love it. FF on the other hand has been waxing and waning for over a decade.

Also I just finished 100% on SMTIV! 100% compendium and just now completed all the endings...saved the 'Nothing' ending for last. Woot woot! Now I get to wait while praying to the polytheistic gods that SMTIVFinal gets announced for a state-side release sooner than later. Mmmmrrrrrrrr.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline j

« Reply #1800 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
I'm very, very skeptical about Square Enix's ability to pull this off, but gotta say that gameplay footage was pretty sweet looking.  Visuals are unbelievable at least.

I'm certainly not a turn-based purist, but it remains to be seen if/how they will be able to incorporate many seemingly fundamental aspects of the game if they do go the action RPG route.  Theoretically, some sort of hybrid system might work best (and evidently something like that is what is currently in place based on that short video), but again, I don't have a lot of faith that they can design and implement it to my satisfaction.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

On the other hand, if the history of all vidya games is any indication, voice acting will at best add nothing, and more likely will be a big laughable stain on the finished product.  That's something that's practically NEVER done well, and I don't really understand why?  There are plenty of talented voice actors out there, and there's really no excuse for all these huge budget games to be so cringe-inducing in this regard.

Can we all agree that at least the game will be getting a new translation for Christ's sake?  The one thing it most desperately needed.

-J

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1801 on: December 07, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »
Well, I said JRPG. And they do still make those games. Two recent examples are Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensri Iv.

What about the (recently released) Xenoblade X? I mean, it`s real-time-battle, but still a very, VERY japanese game in many aspects (and yes: I know what you mean with JRPG; I also digged SMT IV, BD and currently backtracking the Persona series).

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1802 on: December 08, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
So apparently System Shock 3 has been announced:

https://www.othersidetease.com/strawberry.php

System Shock 2 is one of those big cult games and anyone that played the Bioshock series should know Ken Levine which also is the key person behind System Shock 2. This time though he dosen't seem to be involved.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: December 09, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »

What about the (recently released) Xenoblade X? I mean, it`s real-time-battle, but still a very, VERY japanese game in many aspects (and yes: I know what you mean with JRPG; I also digged SMT IV, BD and currently backtracking the Persona series).

I'm not sure if Xenoblade X is its own game or an updated version of Xenoblade? I haven't played it myself but having watched a friend play it, it seems to fall into the same problems modern Final Fantasy games do.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline adace

« Reply #1804 on: December 09, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Just finished Yoshi's Wooly World. Such an adorable, charming and creative game. Had a lot of fun playing it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1805 on: December 09, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
Got Diablo 3 for PS4 today.

Oh god, do I love this game  :metal     I'm addicted

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: December 09, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »
What's diablo like? I have never played a game in the series and I've always been curious. I was a big fan of wc3.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1807 on: December 09, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »
Imagine Wc3 but you are playing one single character and its zoomed in to focus on that one character. that's how it was explained to me way back in the day and every since Diablo 2, I have been hooked.

Its highly addictive, and fundamentally hack and slash gameplay, but with an intricate spells and skills system to diversify the character types.

I highly recommend.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1808 on: December 10, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Just got rocksmith for PS4

where has this game been all my life  :hefdaddy   just plug in your actual guitar and this thing makes playing fun and easy, and despite playing for years, I feel like it has a lot to offer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:47:38 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: December 10, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
I've been playing for years and I've always wanted to try rocksmith, I wish there was a place that you can demo it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1810 on: December 10, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
I've been playing for years and I've always wanted to try rocksmith, I wish there was a place that you can demo it.

Well, clearly, you just go over to Phoenix's house.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1811 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1812 on: December 11, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
Damn, I came here to post that! Noice. I've been following it for a little while. I think it looks and sounds awesome but also could end up flopping super hard given the massively ambitious goals it has set for itself. It essentially looks like it's taken Terrarria and Starbound (and a bit of Minecraft...though less so, it's just easier to relate to for the masses) and is attempting to meld it all into one big world (and turn it 3D in Terraria and Starbound's case). I honestly didn't last more than a week in Minecraft and have never been able to wrap my head around the massive hype it built upon it's initial blow up and still can't fathom how that boring look is anywhere near engaging. Then again people think the same of Terraria and Starbound and combining those two games I have about 400 hours sooo...  :lol :loser: I've always been a sucker for pixel art though.

But if this can do what Terraria and Starbound has done for my sense of wonder and similarly compound yet at the same time satiate my near OCD levels of addiction towards building, customizing and world-carving needs, this could be something really special. I like the concept, I like the look (if a little bland, those not nearly as boring as Minecraft), it's just the question of whether it can sustain and execute a level of massive exploration on a 3D platform that also has to have a shit-ton of customization and openness. The way in which you 'mine' and subsequently terraform look really interesting and I like that they're changing that up as well. 'One block at a time' (even with upgrades in their respective games) gets tedious no matter how much you like the game.

Overall, I think it could be awesome for those of us that like these types of games. Comparisons to Minecraft are inevitable given its stupidly high popularity but I see a whole lot more of the aforementioned 2D space-oriented games than I do in Minecraft aside from the 'no shit' aspect of it being 3D. Similarities end there, so I've seen thus far. But overall it has a big mountain to climb before it can even begin. First off is whether the entire concept works at all and beyond that, whether it catches. Terraria and Starbound made it work but they've had some issues and those are 2D pixel-art games so...suffice it to say that this game has a lot of hurdles to jump. I'm also sketchy on the zero interface concept. Absolutely workable, but with a game in which customizing, building and in this case actually terraforming...I think it might end up being a minus in the more complex stages. I hope they make it work though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: December 11, 2015, 04:56:38 PM »
Currently still playing Final Fantasy 7 HD on PS4.

I'm on the NorthernCrater so i've decided to not do that until i've got a Gold Chocobo and got Quadra Magic, Mime and Knights of The Round  :biggrin:

I've got the Carob and Zeio nuts. Got 2 "good" and 2 "great" chocobo - but they're all female :lol

I just need either a "good" or "great" male to start breeding.

Also the PS4 port comes with an option to turn on max HP/MP and Limit for battles. I played this game to death on the PS1 originally so I have no qualms about "cheating" this time.

Ergo - i'm mastering my "All" Materia to sell for 1.4m Gil a time and buying greens to max out my Chocobos for racing at the Gold Saucer to win a shit ton of GP in order to

buy the EXP Plus Materia so I will get double the EXP in battles and get my Level through the roof !!!

When i've got KOTR, Mime & Quadra Magic ( which I have now ) - only then will I continue with the game and destory Sephiroth ! :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1814 on: December 11, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
Knights of the round kicks ass  :metal

FFVII in general kicks ass  :metal :metal

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1815 on: December 12, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »

I'm not sure if Xenoblade X is its own game or an updated version of Xenoblade? I haven't played it myself but having watched a friend play it, it seems to fall into the same problems modern Final Fantasy games do.

It`s a "spiritual sequel" as they call it. So it`s a new game, completely new storyline, plot and so on and is completely independent from the original. Hell, the only thing refering towards the original is that one of the characters has Monado-formed pins in her hair, Actually the only thing which is like in the original is the battle system. And actually this is the point where many might simply give up, since the battles are so goddamn complex and complicated to understand, due to active skills which have to be activated in proper order for perfect combos, passive skills to maximize your favourite stats and the battle shouts which are giving buffs at certain times during battle. But, I personally think it`s definitely worth the struggle with its vast menus due to the gigantic (really gigantic) world which is beautifully designed. The main plot is not too bad either, but actually the side quests (which are much, much longer than the main plot anyways) and the characters themselves are even more interesting imo.

PS: I don`t even have the mech warriors (called Skells ingame) yet, because it easily takes 25-30 hours (which is half of the main plot) to get one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: December 13, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Knights of the round kicks ass  :metal

FFVII in general kicks ass  :metal :metal

SO THIS JUST HAPPENED

I now have Knights of The Round connected to Quadra Magic and Mime on another character which means a total of EIGHT Knights of The Round in two moves :lol

Sephiroth your ass is mine !!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1817 on: December 15, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Bought Arkham knight last week.

At first I really enjoyed the Batmobile, but now that I am at the end of the game, I really hate it. Too overused and i am very tired of fighting these tanks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:10:22 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1818 on: December 15, 2015, 03:29:35 PM »
I know there's already a SC thread but I would just like to chime in and recommend anyone fairly interested in space sims or games in general to check out this video of the latest public build of Star Citizen. Even if this type of game may not be your cup of tea I hope that you atleast would appreciate the ambitous level they're aiming for. Keep in mind this build is in alpha and there's still atleast a year or more until any form of release. It's a good way to get a taste of what this game is all about though.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #1819 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:54 AM »
Playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time and I'm not really that into it so far. The atmosphere is cool and the colossi are very varied and interesting, but the controls are pretty bad (especially on that godforsaken horse) and the open world is kinda bland and lifeless. No epic music while you're exploring like in Zelda, just disappointing wind effects. Also, getting killed because your character can't get back up fast enough is incredible frustrating. I feel like the game has a lot of potential but there's too many issues for me to consider it great.