Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 280680 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I know he really only made one play, but I wish Butler would have gotten MVP.  Brady didn't play that good, and his picks were pretty bad.

Since I can't stand the Pats, I can take some solace in that this SB will be remembered as one that the Seahawks gave away more than the Pats won it due to that moronic play call.  I can't wait to see the grilling Seattle coaches deserve to get.

Offline senecadawg2

I've never ever posted in this thread before because I have no interest in football. Had very little interest in this game, too. But I do have a question now. Maybe ill-timed, but I'm wondering why the Patriots weren't punished more severely for the ball deflation mess. As in, a punishment that might have affected the outcome of this game in some way. Don't know what the best way to go about doing that would be, but some sort of handicap or even disqualification(?) I realize (or assume) that that kind of punishment is unprecedented, but it does seem unfortunate that they should be allowed to win the Super Bowl after that. I also understand that even without the ball deflations, they likely would have won that game, but still... Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:54:52 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I know he really only made one play, but I wish Butler would have gotten MVP.  Brady didn't play that good, and his picks were pretty bad.

Since I can't stand the Pats, I can take some solace in that this SB will be remembered as one that the Seahawks gave away more than the Pats won it due to that moronic play call.  I can't wait to see the grilling Seattle coaches deserve to get.

I agree that Butler should have gotten MVP. Without his jump on the ball... New England, in all likelihood loses.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
this SB will be remembered as one that the Seahawks gave away more than the Pats won it due to that moronic play call.

We'll certainly the play call was bad....but I don't think Seattle 'gave' anything away. Like Kevin pointed out....the Seattle D couldn't hold a 10 pt lead with 7 minutes to play and if not for a pretty lucky bounce to put them on the 5 yard line....Seattle is heaving hail Mary's for the endzone the last couple plays.

I don't think it was a 'give away' at all. It was a real good super bowl that one real good team had to lose.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never ever posted in this thread before because I have very no interest in football. Had very little interest in this game, too. But I do have a question now. Maybe ill-timed, but I'm wondering why the Patriots weren't punished more severely for the ball deflation mess. As in, a punishment that might have affected the outcome of this game in some way. Don't know what the best way to go about doing that would be, but some sort of handicap or even disqualification(?) I realize (or assume) that that kind of punishment is unprecedented, but it does seem unfortunate that they should be allowed to win the Super Bowl after that. I also understand that even without the ball deflations, they likely would have won that game, but still... Am I missing something?

The league wasn't willing/able to determine the cause of the deflated balls. Therefore, no punishment could be levied.

Expect the punishment in the coming weeks now that the NFL's biggest day of the year is over. More than likely, the punishment will fall upon some ballboy, who will be made to take the fall.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
I've never ever posted in this thread before because I have very no interest in football. Had very little interest in this game, too. But I do have a question now. Maybe ill-timed, but I'm wondering why the Patriots weren't punished more severely for the ball deflation mess. As in, a punishment that might have affected the outcome of this game in some way. Don't know what the best way to go about doing that would be, but some sort of handicap or even disqualification(?) I realize (or assume) that that kind of punishment is unprecedented, but it does seem unfortunate that they should be allowed to win the Super Bowl after that. I also understand that even without the ball deflations, they likely would have won that game, but still... Am I missing something?

The league wasn't willing/able to determine the cause of the deflated balls. Therefore, no punishment could be levied.

Expect the punishment in the coming weeks now that the NFL's biggest day of the year is over. More than likely, the punishment will fall upon some ballboy, who will be made to take the fall.
Also, the most the league can punish the team is a $20,000-something fine and take away draft picks.

Not exactly a stern punishment that will deter future teams from doing the same.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Nice tight game, great ending, and I'm just shocked to see Brady as MVP. He had some good drives, but an overall OK game, and those picks were horrendous.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Skeever

Not unhappy at all with the outcome. The Seahawks were becoming really annoying, and I'm glad to see them finally put back in their place. Bandwagon Hawks fans jumping ship in 3... 2... 1...

I hate the Patriots but, hey, "Devil you know"...

Offline senecadawg2

Also, the most the league can punish the team is a $20,000-something fine and take away draft picks.

Not exactly a stern punishment that will deter future teams from doing the same.

DoC's response makes sense. Maybe I'm just being a bit too harsh on something that likely didnt make that much of a difference. But as you said, it really doesnt send a strong message. I believe all sports should have a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of things. Same way I feel about flopping in soccer (and basketball, for that matter). Fines just aren't enough of a deterent, in my mind
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Rattlehead

Well, that was a hell of a game; congratulations Patriots fans.  :tup I thought the game was all but over after Kearse's circus-like catch.

Offline Syzzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

Just going to leave this here since who doesn't love to make fun of Trent Dilfer?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
LOL. Stay classy, Bruce Irvin!

On the other hand, Carroll's comments after the game were classy and sincere. He was honest that he was afraid of NE's run D and took full responsibility for the slant.

Great win for the Patriots. Also gives Brady a couple of more feathers. Tied with Joe Montana with 3 MVPs and with Montana/Bradshaw for rings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

Just going to leave this here since who doesn't love to make fun of Trent Dilfer?

What a tard'.   :lol   Yep....they suck Trent..
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
My overall thoughts of the night:

Pretty sure I heard Goodell being booed. Awesome.

Terrible commercials, except for the Heisenberg one and one or two others.

I really want to see Jurassic Parks and Rec

I was disappointed by lack of wardrobe malfunction. In fact, it seemed like Katy Perry made a point to wear as many clothes as possible. Atrocious.

I made 5 bucks off this game.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Rattlehead

That is surprisingly unprofessional, even for Dilfer  :loser:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
LOL. Stay classy, Bruce Irvin!

On the other hand, Carroll's comments after the game were classy and sincere. He was honest that he was afraid of NE's run D and took full responsibility for the slant.

Great win for the Patriots. Also gives Brady a couple of more feathers. Tied with Joe Montana with 3 MVPs and with Montana/Bradshaw for rings.

Yeah, but Montana did it without throwing a single pic. Advantage- Big Sky

Quality game for me, didn't really have a dog in the race other than the pure hatred of Carroll, so the end was just dandy for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Seriously...I am just happy it was such a GREAT GAME.    I seriously believe we were just one handoff away from a repeat...but the Pats won it fair and square.   Congrats.   :tup

We are still the youngest team in the NFL, so just wait til next year.

I'm the same way. I'm not hurt, pissed, or sad. I'm happy We gave everyone an amazing Super Bowl.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

I think that AMAZING catch near the end deserves more credit.   Alas...it will never be.   If we had won, it would be a one of the all time SB highlights alongside "the helmet catch".   But because of that one stupid play call at the end, it will now only be a footnote.    I just think it deserves more credit than that. 

I mean, sure there was a bit of "luck" involved, but honestly, you had to have *some* wits about you to realize that ball was still live and get control of it before it hit the ground.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Made, $45.00 on LRC, Had great food and great beer & saw the worst call to pass ever in the history of football.  The Pats should have lost.  I'm stunned.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I wonder how Marshawn Lynch feels about that call.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'd be pissed.  He should have had the ball in his hands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
At least something came from the worst batch of Super Bowl commercials ever.  I'm glad that they were the least objectifying of women, but overall they were too serious and not funny enough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Seriously...I am just happy it was such a GREAT GAME.    I seriously believe we were just one handoff away from a repeat...but the Pats won it fair and square.   Congrats.   :tup

We are still the youngest team in the NFL, so just wait til next year.

The problem with that is they aren't getting Wilson for peanuts anymore.  His salary is gonna skyrocket, and they will likely keep Lynch, too, so it's gonna be hard to keep that whole nucleus together.  Plus, some Seattle players were ripping the finally play call last night, and you have to wonder if Carroll will lose part of the locker room. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
At least something came from the worst batch of Super Bowl commercials ever.  I'm glad that they were the least objectifying of women, but overall they were too serious and not funny enough.
I would have liked more humorous ones; in fact, at one point, so many of them seemed to focus on Dads that was wondering if Father's Day had come early.

But I think that relatively few of them actually sucked, which is the first time in a long time.  So I was OK with them.

I hate the game ended the way it did, but I enjoyed the game overall.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Shitty commercials all around but at least we got a close game. I swear Bud could have a commercial with a clydesdale taking a dump for a minute with some sappy music playing and people would call it amazing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I'm not sure how many touchdown passes Brady has to throw in a game to get some respect. Four touchdowns, but he only played "okay." Yeah, the picks were pretty terrible, but it's what you can put behind you when you make a mistake that marks a great quarterback. And also, just because a team makes it to the one yard line on a lucky catch, that doesn't mean they automatically get a touchdown. "Seattle deserved to win..." I disagree. There are two teams out there, and even if Carroll makes the "right" call, there's no guarantee the defense doesn't stop them. I'd say the team with the most points deserved to win. (yup)

Great game though, I wish the Pats could win like they did in the AFC Championship more, instead of these nailbiters. My heart can't take much more of that. And, to me, it seemed like sour grapes on the part of the Seahawks with all the fighting at the end. Didn't see the Pats doing that against the Giants. Hopefully this teaches some of those guys how to lose.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Time for the final Monday morning QB's of the season.  If I had it my way, both teams would've lost.  :lol

More seriously though, as good a coach as Carroll is, he's gonna be known for probably the biggest all time bonehead play call in SB history.  However, I suppose it's poetic justice that they gave the game away when the Packers did them the same favor 2 weeks earlier.

Hat's off to the Hawks for paying it forward. :rollin  Congrats to the Pats and their fans.  :hat
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:23:17 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Time for the final Monday morning QB's of the season.  If I had it my way, both teams would've lost:lol

Not sure if this was directed at me, but even still, as it pertains to the highlighted quote, I would say that both teams deserved to win this week. I feel both teams made some great plays, and a couple bonehead plays. Hard fought game right down to the end. If Brady doesn't throw that first pick, everything being equal, it's not even that close of a game in the end. If Carroll makes the right call at the end, the Hawks most likely win. Hell, they even had a chance to get the ball back if they could have forced a safety after that call (another bonehead play to go offside there). If there was any game where both teams deserve to lose it was the Green Bay/Seattle game from two weeks ago, not this one.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I'm not sure how many touchdown passes Brady has to throw in a game to get some respect. Four touchdowns, but he only played "okay." Yeah, the picks were pretty terrible, but it's what you can put behind you when you make a mistake that marks a great quarterback. And also, just because a team makes it to the one yard line on a lucky catch, that doesn't mean they automatically get a touchdown. "Seattle deserved to win..." I disagree. There are two teams out there, and even if Carroll makes the "right" call, there's no guarantee the defense doesn't stop them. I'd say the team with the most points deserved to win. (yup)

I love Tom Brady. That said, he didn't give the best performance he can. He got it done, played a good game, but there were others who excelled more at their job than he did that day and someone else deserved to take home the trophy. I honestly don't know who, as they were pretty balanced with contributions on offense and defense, and that's part of the problem. So often when you don't know... just give it to the quarterback.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Man, I wonder if anybody has ever been punished as hard as Jonas Gray for oversleeping through a meeting. Kid had an immeasurable impact on the Patriots getting to the Superb Owl and doesn't even get to dress for the game. 

Seems like a ton of discord going on regarding the call (and while it was a bad decision it was pretty understandable). The players are blaming Bevell. Bevell threw Ricardo Lockette under the bus. Seems the only people with a bit of class are Carroll, Wilson and Lynch. On top of other lockerroom discord going on it doesn't bode too well for next year.

And nobody's talking about the off-side penalty that led to Bruce Irvin's dazzling display of sportsmanship. The game was not over at that point. NE had no room to kneel and a safety/free kick would have given Seattle a great chance to pull it out. Much like GB two weeks ago a crucial breakdown of discipline.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I love Tom Brady. That said, he didn't give the best performance he can. He got it done, played a good game, but there were others who excelled more at their job than he did that day and someone else deserved to take home the trophy. I honestly don't know who, as they were pretty balanced with contributions on offense and defense, and that's part of the problem. So often when you don't know... just give it to the quarterback.

If it wasn't Brady, it should have been Edelman. He played a hell of a game.

And nobody's talking about the off-side penalty that led to Bruce Irvin's dazzling display of sportsmanship. The game was not over at that point. NE had no room to kneel and a safety/free kick would have given Seattle a great chance to pull it out. Much like GB two weeks ago a crucial breakdown of discipline.

I mentioned this in my last post, but yeah, not a lot of talk about the fact that the game was NOT OVER. If they come up with a big stop there, they get the ball back at roughly midfield only down by two with a timeout and about 40 seconds on the clock. Could've made two quick plays, spike, and kick the FG for the win. NOPETHEYWENTOFFSIDESGAMEOVER.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I mentioned this in my last post, but yeah, not a lot of talk about the fact that the game was NOT OVER. If they come up with a big stop there, they get the ball back at roughly midfield only down by two with a timeout and about 40 seconds on the clock. Could've made two quick plays, spike, and kick the FG for the win. NOPETHEYWENTOFFSIDESGAMEOVER.

Well, no.  There were only 20 seconds left when NE got the ball.  Not sure how the coaches would have drawn it up, but I think if I am in the situation for NE, I put Brady in the shotgun with max protection, have the wideout run a streak down the sideline, and have Brady just hold the ball as long as he can, and then lob high passes way downfield out of bounds.  If they can eat up 5 seconds per play, that only leaves 5 seconds for them to do the same thing and take a safety on 5th, then do the free kick with only a couple of seconds on the clock.  I kind of wish that penalty hadn't happened so that we could have seen how it would have played out, but I still think NE easily comes away with the win without Seattle ever really getting another chance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

As much as I hated the outcome of the game, I was more put off by the halftime show. Hyped all week as "global superstar", what we got was a lip-syncing moron with dancing sharks. This is what people consider to be great entertainment? And before anyone says "who cares, she's hawt" you do realize you could take any reasonably attractive female, put the spray-tan and make-up on them and have them dance around like a tramp while pretending to sing and no could tell the difference? At least not anyone further back than 5 rows. I wonder if Perry and her handlers could see the contrast between her "performance" and those of Legend and Menzel.