Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 280791 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kev, I think most Pats fans could get over spygate, Today listening to fans, most of them are really annoyed by this. They feel it was unnecessary and opens the Patriots up to all this second guessing.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I think this is missing the point.  The Patriots drubbing of the Colts is not the story; the story is the Patriots, once again, apparently crossing that line again that separates gamesmanship and cheating.  And if they did this, do you really think  Sunday was the first time?  And it makes you wonder what else they do?  Now, I am naive to where I think that other teams don't try to get away with what they can as well, but the Patriots seem to take it to a whole other level, which is sad for them because the combination of this and Spygate will taint their legacy/dynasty in the eyes of a lot of people.  I am sure the Pats and their fans couldn't care less, or at least that's what they'd all say, but years from now, when the greatness of the Patriots dynasty, Belichick's place among the all-time great coaches and Brady's GOAT status are all discussed, this will be a part of each of those conversations.  There will now always be that "Yeah, but..."
I tend to agree with you, and that's why this bugs me. It'll tarnish their legacies a bit, altbhough to be honest I think that was the case anyway. But moreover it just wasn't necessary. Where I will differ with you is that other teams aren't necessarily as bad. I have no reason to assume that the Patriots take it to a whole new level as you say. It's just as likely that they're not as good as getting away with it. All we know is that they got caught twice. Doesn't mean they're doing anything that others aren't doing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Kev, I'm not disagreeing with you.  They should be fined. I believe Bellichick's gruffness with the league, other teams tend to rub others that they don't turn a blind eye to the things most coaches do so their QB's are afforded the same. What makes him great is what is his downfall.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Getting back to the games, looking at this picture below has to make every Packer fan sick to their stomach. That is the exact moment the Packer DB picked that ball off with 5 minutes and change to play.  Look at how much room he had to run!!  He probably returns it to at least FG range and possibly the distance with good blocking.  Unbelievable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yup. Ridiculous.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
If the situations were reversed there, no way does a Seahawk DB go down.  He's doing whatever he can to take it to the house. 

Offline dparrott

How much you wanna bet Brady could throw a football over them mountains?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Getting back to the games, looking at this picture below has to make every Packer fan sick to their stomach. That is the exact moment the Packer DB picked that ball off with 5 minutes and change to play.  Look at how much room he had to run!!  He probably returns it to at least FG range and possibly the distance with good blocking.  Unbelievable.

Damn, that's a lot of space, and he's got some blockers (who were apparently yelling at him to go down  :facepalm:).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/01/21/new-england-patriots-deflating-footballs-may-not-as-easy-as-it-sounds/22113343/

Chain of custody for game balls. CLiffs: the refs keep them until immediately before kickoff. They give a few to the respective ball boys. The refs then keep them in their lockerroom during halftime. Seems the ballboys would have very little time to manipulate them, and might well have to be doing what they're doing in full view of everybody (including cameras). Author goes on to state that getting each of them to exactly -2psi would be tricky without spending a fair amount of time doing it.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tom Pelissero is apparently the pen name for Scott Zolack. ;D

Belichick's press conference is at 9:30 this morning. I place the over/under on "It's a league matter" or "it's a matter for the league" at 10 1/2.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Anyone else would say the same thing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/01/21/new-england-patriots-deflating-footballs-may-not-as-easy-as-it-sounds/22113343/

Chain of custody for game balls. CLiffs: the refs keep them until immediately before kickoff. They give a few to the respective ball boys. The refs then keep them in their lockerroom during halftime. Seems the ballboys would have very little time to manipulate them, and might well have to be doing what they're doing in full view of everybody (including cameras). Author goes on to state that getting each of them to exactly -2psi would be tricky without spending a fair amount of time doing it.

The Pats bought off the Ref, the Commish & the Ball Boys. :lol

I do believe that the Pats have done it.  But all coaches do this for the comfort of their QB's.  Some like it inflated other deflated, some scuffed up ect.  The league has the rule in place but never enforce it as shown this year in a Vikings game.

https://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/11218/nfl-aware-of-game-ball-incident-during-panthers-vikings

The told them to knock it off.  Instead of punishing them which tells me they are ok with what teams do since they didn't punish the Vikings.  Problem is, it was brought to light by another team and now the league has to investigate it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Tom Brady: I like the ball at 12 1/2.
Tom Brady: I can't tell whether a ball is overinflated or underinflated.

checkmate.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I got that too

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
"Once I get on the field to play, I don't worry about the football."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

The coverup is always worse than the crime.

This shouldn't be that big a deal, but Tom Brady coming off like the worst liar ever just make it 100 times worse.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The coverup is always worse than the crime.

This shouldn't be that big a deal, but Tom Brady coming off like the worst liar ever just make it 100 times worse.
Nah, in this case it doesn't matter. It is and will always be as bad as it can get given their past history and the animosity towards them in general. Absolutely nothing that Brady, Belichick or The League says or does will change anybody's mind one bit about this. Opinions are already set in stone here.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Okay, but that is simplifying it a bit too much.  For one, they've earned their reputation as cheaters.  Two, many of us whom many would think of as "Patriots haters" don't think this story is that big a deal, but again, the coverup is making it way worse.  Brady and Belichick lying their asses off today just reinforces the opinion of many that they are dishonest persons.  It's pretty crazy that two guys as savvy as them thought their best game plan to tackle this story was to come out and lie and be that obvious about it.  They must really think people are stupid, thinking that everyone would buy what they were selling. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's more "Lawyer Speak" really. They should have came out and said Brady likes less PSI in his footballs and then a small fine would be it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Troy Aikman said there is no way that this happened without Brady knowing about it/being behind it.

For what it's worth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
He may be right.  But then again, he is a tool, and may be completely off base. 

I am a card-carrying Patriot hater, and I STILL say "who cares?"  This whole thing is such a complete non-issue to me, whether Brady and/or BB are lying or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I've been seeing a few articles calling for BB being banned from the NFL, and the Patriots not deserving to play in the Super Bowl and I just can't help but laugh. Sure I may be a fan of a rival team, but the degree this stupid shit is getting blown up to, it's being treated like Tom Brady and BB beat up a classroom full of kids with Down Syndrome on video.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Troy Aikman said there is no way that this happened without Brady knowing about it/being behind it.

For what it's worth.
The consensus seems to be that no quarterback would fail to notice a ball being 2 pounds light. The being behind it part sounds like nonsense to me.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I hate the Patriots as much as the next guy, but this seems a little silly to me.  This is nowhere near the big deal that many people are making it.

Not sure I understand the rationale of each team supplying its own balls if you can't tweak them a little.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The simple answer is to let the refs check the balls before and each half only to hand them right before each kick off.

Offline dparrott

Seahawks to wear home uniforms in the SB!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Rats.  I like the Pats dark uniforms.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The simple answer is to let the refs check the balls before and each half only to hand them right before each kick off.
I believe that's already the case.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I thought so too but I heard the balls were given to the team 2 hours before kickoff.  I may be wrong though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I thought so too but I heard the balls were given to the team 2 hours before kickoff.  I may be wrong though.

NFL rules require each team to provide 12 primary balls to the referee for testing 2 hours, 15 minutes before kickoff to ensure they fall between the proper inflation limits of 12½ to 13½ pounds per square inch. The home team also must provide 12 backup balls, and the visiting team has the option to provide 12 more for outdoor games such as Sunday's at Gillette Stadium.

The referee "shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications" and the balls "remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game," according to Rule 2, Section 1.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I did read that, then I heard that the pats got the balls a little earlier.  I'll have to look the interwebs.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Seems no one's willing to consider that maybe the Patriots delivered 12 underinflated balls to the refs, a la St. Rogers, expecting them to be flagged and the refs just missed it. Considering everyone's mistrust of the league it's interesting that their mistrust of the Patriots is greater.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Could be.  I just wonder why the league wouldn't want to wrap up this fast before the SB.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Idk if this is the right time to come in with a 'newbie question', but how often do they change the ball during a game? And do the already-used balls get re-used, if they can?