Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 280795 times)

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. Saints' D says "Astro Glide won't be necessary."
« Reply #1085 on: September 08, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
And for regularly scheduled NFL chat:

Eagles:  God damn I was sweating that game for the whole first half- Foles can be really great and he can be really shaky and it seems to be a crap shoot which one we're going to get.  Thankfully once everyone got into a "groove" it turned around.  But I really worry...if they hadn't been playing the notoriously bad Jaguars, they might not have gotten away with that.

Thankfully, even if the Eagles are mediocre at best this season, the rest of the NFC East appears to be even worse, which is good news.

:lol at the Cowboys and how they're already completely deflated as if it was like week 12 already.  Fuck I hate the Cowboys and they're so laughably bad it's spectacular.  Tony Romo is one of my favorite QBs for the simple reason that he makes the Cowboys so much worse. 

:lol at the Giants for pretty much the same reason. 

And :lol at the Redskins just because. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1086 on: September 08, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1087 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
To me this is another example of the sketchiness of the NFL and pro sports in general. The tape didn't reveal any new information, at least not that I'm aware. This makes me think that the Ravens cutting Rice was purely a PR move and they couldn't care less about what he actually did.

Ding ding ding.

Kev, can you please stay on topic?  If you want to talk about that other stuff, that's fine, but don't do it in the Ray Rice thread.

Ray Rice? According to the Thread Title, we should be talking about the Saints   :\

Green. It was implied.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1088 on: September 08, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
And for regularly scheduled NFL chat:

Oh thank god let's talk Eagles.

Eagles:  God damn I was sweating that game for the whole first half- Foles can be really great and he can be really shaky and it seems to be a crap shoot which one we're going to get.  Thankfully once everyone got into a "groove" it turned around.  But I really worry...if they hadn't been playing the notoriously bad Jaguars, they might not have gotten away with that.

Foles was really scary that game.  Even during the second half, his balls never quite had the right zip to them.  He showed what he can do last year, so I think he can turn it around, but this was not an encouraging first game.

Thankfully, even if the Eagles are mediocre at best this season, the rest of the NFC East appears to be even worse, which is good news.

It's insane.  Each one of those teams is fundamentally broken in some way.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1089 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer doing the late game...Lord, give me the strength. :facepalm: :facepalm: :censored

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1090 on: September 08, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer doing the late game...Lord, give me the strength. :facepalm: :facepalm: :censored

Please everyone let's pray for Kev.  He's going through some tough times right now.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1091 on: September 08, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
LOL, but seriously, who does Berman have dirty info on at ESPN?  He is so awful on every level now.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1092 on: September 08, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
You're just an old curmudgeon.   I like Boomer...   

I guess it's just a nostalgia thing for me...   :angel:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:58:18 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
If TMZ actually has proof the league had the video before hand....fuck that actually makes me sick. Fuck Goodell and his shitting fucking job.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1094 on: September 08, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
 :rollin at Neon's pic.

Also, fuck Berman being called Boomer. Nobody outside of ESPN calls him that. Boomer Esiason is the only Boomer.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1095 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »
:rollin at Neon's pic.

Also, fuck Berman being called Boomer. Nobody outside of ESPN calls him that. Boomer Esiason is the only Boomer.

To be fair, it's not mine...I'm part of an NFL smack talk group on facebook and someone there posted it. 

And I've always felt the same way about the whole "Boomer" thing. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1096 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:18 PM »
Berman isn't the worst part of that announcing tandem.  I can tolerate Berman in small doses.  I just flip the channel periodically to cleanse my ears.

Seriously, I can't remember a duo where I really liked both.  Sommerall (good) had Madden ( ::)); Anyone (good) had Dierdorf ( ::)); Lundquist (good) had anyone; Simms (good) had to listen to Gumbel ( ::))
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1097 on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »
Simms is an overconfident, often-wrong hillbilly. He speaks with this tone of 110% certainty on so many issues where he's only voicing an opinion or flat out incorrect.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1098 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
Nice comeback from AZ, but they should have been eating clock this entire drive. They were clearly trying to save clock and now SD had two and a half minutes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1099 on: September 08, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »
Nice comeback from AZ, but they should have been eating clock this entire drive. They were clearly trying to save clock and now SD had two and a half minutes.

Eh, I almost always disagree with that line of thinking.  When you are trailing, especially when you are in a game that didn't have a lot of scoring, you score when you can.  You don't dunce around and run a few throwaway runs to kill clock, because what if you waste those downs and end up not scoring and losing?  All to waste time on a drive that didn't end in a score.  Nope, you score when you can.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1100 on: September 09, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
If Larry Fitzgerald was catching passes from someone like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, he'd be one of the best receivers in the league. He SHOULD be one of the best receivers. His reach is just crazy.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1101 on: September 09, 2014, 06:32:31 AM »
his balls never quite had the right zip to them. 
He should visit this thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1102 on: September 09, 2014, 06:42:19 AM »
If Larry Fitzgerald was catching passes from someone like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, he'd be one of the best receivers in the league. He SHOULD be one of the best receivers. His reach is just crazy.
Would make me a lot happier that he was on my Fantasy team  :sadpanda:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1103 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »
Just because Fitzgerald doesn't have the quality of QB that other top flight WR's have doesn't make him any less of a receiver.  That's damn fantasy football thinking.  He would be just as good on other teams, but the quality around him would change his production.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:04 AM »
Just because Fitzgerald doesn't have the quality of QB that other top flight WR's have doesn't make him any less of a receiver.  That's damn fantasy football thinking.  He would be just as good on other teams, but the quality around him would change his production.

Agreed.  Enter Exhibit A - Megatron.  Exhibit B - AJ Green.

There's lots of exceptional WRs still being exceptional despite having an average QB throwing to them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1105 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »
In this day and age of inflated passing numbers, Fitzgerald is someone who is always better than the stats he puts up.  Granted, you expect more than one catch out of him, but the Cardinals have a lot of young talent at WR now, so there is no need to force feed Fitz the ball.  He'll get his over the course of the season (although "his" won't be stud numbers for fantasy ball).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1106 on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »

Eh, I almost always disagree with that line of thinking.  When you are trailing, especially when you are in a game that didn't have a lot of scoring, you score when you can.  You don't dunce around and run a few throwaway runs to kill clock, because what if you waste those downs and end up not scoring and losing?  All to waste time on a drive that didn't end in a score.  Nope, you score when you can.
I wasn't thinking about that level of clock killing. I'm just thinking stay in bounds each play, where they were clearly trying every play to get of bounds to stop the clock. They went from 6 minutes to two and a half, and that easily could have been one and a half if they'd played normally without trying to rush the clock. The outcome was the same, but I was annoyed that their coach had clearly directed them all to save the clock.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1107 on: September 09, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
I think that moronic play call on the first 2-point try was way more egregious.  A direct snap to the RB and your QB isn't even on the field?  That's awful.  Losing 20-18 would have been poetic justice for that nonsense.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1108 on: September 09, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Every sports league should institute a "no-tolerance" policy on criminal behavior on and off the field. It needs to get cleaned up. Of course due process would have to be involved, but any conviction should result in a lifetime ban. There are plenty of players who behave like decent citizens sitting on the benches waiting to replace the thugs.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1109 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
Wow... His wife is a moron.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1110 on: September 09, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »
His wife is a moron.

Yeah, some of the grammar mistakes in there really don't make her look very smart.

What exactly is "a horrific"?

:biggrin:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1111 on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
If real love is smashing your lover's head into the wall, dragging her out of an elevator, dropping her face into the floor as you tell the security guard she's drunk, and then somehow manage to get her to not press charges (NFL paychecks and endorsements on the reg), then I have no idea why my girlfriend stays with me.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1112 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »
I'm too busy being horrified by the level of battered wife syndrome I'm seeing here to nitpick her grammar, frankly.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1113 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
I'm too busy being horrified by the level of battered wife syndrome I'm seeing here to nitpick her grammar, frankly.
Essentially this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1114 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
Despite the fact that the entire world seems to know her better than she knows herself, the fact remains that she's trying to move on and some of her points are perfectly valid, if poorly expressed.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1115 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
Despite the fact that the entire world seems to know her better than she knows herself, the fact remains that she's trying to move on and some of her points are perfectly valid, if poorly expressed.
I agree.  Whatever his faults may be, nothing is different now than two days ago, except that he got cut, suspended, and probably will never play again, meaning unemployment and even more chaos into her life.

But let's do the right thing and help her.

*shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
I can see it now: they'll be divorced within two years and will be blaming it on the media for never letting them get past it. 

Granted, the media does go crazy with stuff like this - did ESPN really need to move their ESPN2 shows to ESPN News yesterday so they could have Sportscenter on two channels where the Rice story was talked about it non-stop - but I think we all knew it was inevitable that the video would eventually be seen by everyone.  Nowadays, everything gets out there eventually.  That is why, if the NFL and the Ravens are lying about having not seen the tape prior to yesterday, they are morons.  Like Jim Rome often says, the cover-up is worse than the crime.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1117 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »

You know, I hate to say it, but if you date a celebrity, you knowingly accept the risk of something like this happening. I hate when websites or networks obviously milk or release stuff for the sake of publicity and ratings, but I have no problem with something like this. As far as I am concerned, this man is a danger to society, his wife, and any children they may have in the future. It's not like footage from their home security system was stolen and sold. This happened in a public space. As far as I am concerned, the people who had possession of the tape initially should have been legally (and morally) obligated to bring this to light.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: September 09, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »

Ayup.

I would hardly call marrying Mr. Rice AFTER getting cold-cocked by him an attempt to "move on".  She clearly does know herself, and has a diminished sense of self-respect to stay with a person who would/could do something like this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1119 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

I would hardly call marrying Mr. Rice AFTER getting cold-cocked by him an attempt to "move on".  She clearly does know herself, and has a diminished sense of self-respect to stay with a person who would/could do something like this.
You might be right, and you might be stunningly off base. Unless you know these people I don't really see yours (or anybody else's) opinions carrying much weight. All I know is that at this point it's her decision to make. However, that sort of misses the point. Regardless of why she remains with him, does this help her? I don't see how this isn't going to be financially devastating and that'll play a huge part in however their situation plays out.
E.F. Benson