Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 280654 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: NFL thread 2014 v. DoC Lays the Pipe on stale themes
« Reply #840 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »
Goodell Apologizes for Ray Rice decision

Also announces new personal conduct policy - First incident of domestic violence results in a six game suspension without pay, the second gets you banned for at least a year.

On one hand, the NFL completely deserves credit for responding to this the right way.  Admit you fucked up. apologize, and make changes so it doesn't happen again.

On the other, I'm curious what will happen when another domestic abuse case comes up (and it will).  The policy allows for the first suspension to be reduced because of "mitigating circumstances."  "Mitigating circumstances" is why Ray Rice only got two games.  Will the league come up with excuses to not give out full six game suspensions?

While the NFL should have never gave Rice a two game suspension in the first place, at least they're handling it.  The same can't be said about a lot of the league's problems.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #841 on: August 28, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »
That's a best approach to discipline regarding Domestic Violence, but it's really pathetic that Rice only received two games in the first place.

Also, the NFL shouldn't have punished Peyton. You know why? That kind of "jawing" happens after every single play.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
I would be more supportive of the decision of the 2 game suspension if the NFL actually said what happened in that elevator.  Regardless, its good that the suspension for domestic abuse will be more than a failed drug test.  One wrong is clearly worse than another.

Anyway, cool to the the Giants go 5-0 in the preseason, but sadly I think they are terrible this year.  They got all those preseason wins on the back of the second team.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #843 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
Just let the backups play all the regular season games. What could possibly go wrong?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
Just let the backups play all the regular season games. What could possibly go wrong?

:lol not much more wrong than what the first teamers are doing.  There has been some talk on the local sports radio here in the NYC area that Eli could be replaced by Nassib at some point during the season if he keeps struggling because Nassib has looked really good and was a good draft prospect.  I find it hard to believe that Eli cant handle this new offense, but from the looks of it, it seems to be the case.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #845 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
The Panthers finished off the Steelers last night in a game where not too many starters played a ton of significant time.  But it was still entertaining, somewhat.

Ready for the regular season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #846 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »
Patriot's game was damned anticlimactic. Tim Wright was actually a contributor which was reassuring. No Dom Easly, though, which is what I've been waiting to see.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: August 29, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
Patriot's game was damned anticlimactic. Tim Wright was actually a contributor which was reassuring. No Dom Easly, though, which is what I've been waiting to see.

Even more anti-climatic is going for it on 4th down in your own territory so the game will end and not go into OT.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #848 on: August 29, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »

Even more anti-climatic is going for it on 4th down in your own territory so the game will end and not go into OT.
I didn't know that happened since I didn't watch the second half, but that's brilliant. Giant's player said they'd have done the same thing. Conversely, Dallas would have fought tooth and nail for a meaningless victory. That's why I'm a Patriots fan.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: August 29, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »

I didn't know that happened since I didn't watch the second half, but that's brilliant. Giant's player said they'd have done the same thing. Conversely, Dallas would have fought tooth and nail for a meaningless victory. That's why I'm a Patriots fan.

Yea I didnt watch the end, just read the recap and yea glad both teams would have done that to just put an end to the preseason.  Its a smart move, no point trying to win and risk injuries.  Lets move on to the real games!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #850 on: August 29, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

Yea I didnt watch the end, just read the recap and yea glad both teams would have done that to just put an end to the preseason.  Its a smart move, no point trying to win and risk injuries.  Lets move on to the real games!

Dallas Cowboys
On September 1, 2011, while playing a preseason game against the Miami Dolphins, Radway suffered a broken left fibula and tibia after leaping for a catch during the last 3 seconds of the game. He was then placed on injured reserve.[4][5][6]

It was the closing seconds of the last preseason game of the season. Kid was an undrafted FA fighting for a slot in a very crowded receiving corps. Kid excelled in training camp and that entire preseason, then completely owned that entire game, likely earning his roster spot. The catch that killed him was a recreation of The Catch which would have won the game. Turned from Clark to Theismann in the span of a half second.

For some reason that game had a highschool football kind of atmosphere and both teams really wanted to win. You could tell last night that NE and NY just waned to get it done with.

edit: Oh, and Radway plays for Gene Simmons now. Not sure if that's better or worse than working for Jerry.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
I had complained earlier about the first two weeks of HBO's Hard Knocks being kind of boring.  This week's episode was not boring.  It was awesome, lots of coaches chewing out players for their stupidity, and then cuts at the end.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #852 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
I am soooo ready for football to begin.  Love this time of year. :coolio :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #853 on: August 29, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
I am going on record as predicting we will not see a Browns vs. Cowboys super bowl this year.

There.  I said it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #854 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
*shocked face*

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #855 on: August 29, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
I am soooo ready for football to begin.  Love this time of year. :coolio :hat

Amen.

I am going on record as predicting we will not see a Browns vs. Cowboys super bowl this year.

There.  I said it.

You just ruined the year for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #856 on: August 29, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »

There.  I said it.

I'll go on record saying we won't see either in a playoff game.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #857 on: August 29, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
Cowboys might well beat Phili for the division. Dallas will come with some offense this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if Phili fell back to Earth a little.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: August 29, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »
My predictions.

Before the preseason started, I had Indy beating Arizona in the Super Bowl, but due to Indy's O-Line, and Arizona's injuries, I'm not now going in another direction.

AFC East
1. New England
2. Miami
3. New York
4. Buffalo

AFC North
1. Cincinnati
2. Baltimore
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cleveland

AFC South
1. Indianapolis
2. Houston
3. Jacksonville
4. Tennessee

AFC West
1. Denver
2. Kansas City
3. San Diego
4. Oakland

NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

NFC North
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. Minnesota
4. Detroit

NFC South
1. New Orleans
2. Atlanta
3. Carolina
4. Tampa Bay

NFC West
1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. San Francisco
4. St. Louis

Super Bowl
New Orleans defeats Cincinnati 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #859 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
I'm going with Seattle to repeat, by winning over New England in the Super Bowl.

I think NE will win the AFC over my Broncos because a:

-they have a much easier schedule.
-the Patriots/Broncos games is in New England AGAIN (funny how Denver has had to play AT New England all three years Peyton has been in Denver), and the home team always seems to win lately when Brady and Peyton play.
-The AFC title game, as a result, will be in New England.

Seattle will repeat because they still have the best all-around team, their offense will be even better this year with a healthy Percy Harvin, and I think Peter Carroll is a good enough coach to keep them motivated and fresh.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #860 on: August 29, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
I'm going with Seattle to repeat, by winning over New England in the Super Bowl.

-the Patriots/Broncos games is in New England AGAIN (funny how Denver has had to play AT New England all three years Peyton has been in Denver), and the home team always seems to win lately when Brady and Peyton play.

Seattle will repeat because they still have the best all-around team, their offense will be even better this year with a healthy Percy Harvin, and I think Peter Carroll is a good enough coach to keep them motivated and fresh.
I've got NE winning the AFC, as well. I think they're improved on both sides of the ball this year. As for whether or not they beat Seattle (who's a shoe-in for the NFC, methinks), who knows? I think a strong NE team has a better chance than most, but those guys really are really good.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #862 on: August 29, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
Obviously, he should have just beat his girlfriend instead.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: August 29, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

Obviously...... instead he chose to be a criminal.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #864 on: August 29, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »

I lol'd.  Hard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

I lol'd.  Hard.

Really? Still? I mean, I don't condone what Ray Rice might have done, but we have heard this after every single suspension following Rice's.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

I can only assume they are here again in N.E because they had a better record and Denver, because they were #1 have the hardest schedule. 

I think Seattle/N.E but damn how can you not think Seattle will not win again?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: August 29, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »
NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

What? Dallas ahead of NY? I know the Giants look terrible but they are significantly more talented of a team than the Cowboys. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: August 29, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »
NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

What? Dallas ahead of NY? I know the Giants look terrible but they are significantly more talented of a team than the Cowboys.

Significantly?

Honestly, I could have went either way. They're both gonna have a tough time this year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: August 29, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

Significantly?

Honestly, I could have went either way. They're both gonna have a tough time this year.

I think so.  Obviously the Giants have major problems with learning the new offense, but I see very little talent on Dallas besides Bryant and Romo if he is healthy.   I agree both will have  a tough year, but I see the Cowboys at around 4-5 wins with the Giants at around 6-7.  Giants have more upside potential if things click because I believe there is a larger talent gap between those two.  Just my two cents and I am a Giants fan so I am biased.  :biggrin:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:29 PM »
NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

Significantly?

I think so.  Obviously the Giants have major problems with learning the new offense, but I see very little talent on Dallas besides Bryant and Romo if he is healthy.   I agree both will have  a tough year, but I see the Cowboys at around 4-5 wins with the Giants at around 6-7.  Giants have more upside potential if things click because I believe there is a larger talent gap between those two.  Just my two cents and I am a Giants fan so I am biased.  :biggrin:

Hey, I'm hope you're right. In fact, I'll be thrilled if New York finishes above Washington as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: August 29, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »
NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. New York

Significantly?

Hey, I'm hope you're right. In fact, I'll be thrilled if New York finishes above Washington as well.

Well I wont go that far.  Washington should be better than last year, but Id be happy with that as well.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #872 on: August 29, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
Really? Still? I mean, I don't condone what Ray Rice might have done, but we have heard this after every single suspension following Rice's.

Are you suggesting that it's inappropriate to do so?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: August 29, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »

Are you suggesting that it's inappropriate to do so?

I was showing disbelief that another post suspension Ray Rice joke would be funny.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
Listen, Rice was wrong, that culture of abuse is wrong, the NFL was wrong but at least now it's corrected and people will be held accountable.

That's what matters.