Author Topic: The Hobbit movies  (Read 172603 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Hobbit movies
« Reply #1190 on: December 31, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
Plus, from what I've read, his hand was forced as far as some details *cough Tauriel* went, so I'm sure it was a constant battle between his vision and the vision of dollar signs being made.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1191 on: December 31, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
That's interesting, I always thought Tauriel was a PJ creation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: December 31, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
When I get home I'll try and find the interview where I read that the studio pushed for a love story of sorts.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1193 on: January 01, 2016, 06:06:52 AM »
I am certainly in the camp of fans who thought that the Hobbit films were too long, with way too much padding inserted unnecessarily.

So I now, of course, own the extended version of each film lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1194 on: January 01, 2016, 07:02:34 AM »
I am certainly in the camp of fans who thought that the Hobbit films were too long, with way too much padding inserted unnecessarily.

So I now, of course, own the extended version of each film lol

Of course, that's what we do.  :blob:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1195 on: January 01, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
To be honest, I got them mostly for the Appendices discs. But I also look forward to watching the extended Battle of the Five Armies, since it actually got an R rating.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1196 on: January 01, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1197 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:38 AM »
Oh for fuck's sake...

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: January 02, 2016, 02:29:30 AM »
Love the Lord of the rings movies... the Hobbit on the other hand are bareley watchable to me.

Have read everyting Tolkien has written an Lotr and Hobbit multiple times.

LOTR worked because of the care that went into making it analogue. Lot's of optical tricks, miniatures etc... with CGI being used as a minimum. It was also made as close to the book as was possible, th feeling was just right.

The Hobbit was a drawn out CGI fest that did not stay with the book. The dwarfs were caricatures, Radagast was portrayed as a silly and disgusting fool. It felt like a computer game for kids more than a movie.

I have the extended LOTR dvds but will never buy the Hobbit ones...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1199 on: January 02, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »
It's not that R-worthy. 

https://furiousfanboys.com/2015/12/why-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-was-rated-r/
Wow.
But then again I don't know when I watched the extended edition it did seem a little bloodier than the theatrical edition.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1200 on: January 02, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
To be honest, I got them mostly for the Appendices discs. But I also look forward to watching the extended Battle of the Five Armies, since it actually got an R rating.

Well, I got them for both the appendices and the extended film. If I treat it like it's completely based off of The Hobbit then I'm a bit disappointed, but treating it like it's own piece of work then I can enjoy it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1201 on: January 02, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
It's not that R-worthy. 

https://furiousfanboys.com/2015/12/why-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-was-rated-r/
Wow.
But then again I don't know when I watched the extended edition it did seem a little bloodier than the theatrical edition.

I thought the same thing...but I still don't think I saw anything in there that I haven't seen in several PG-13 movies.   The chariot wheels beheading the orcs was probably the most violent thing I saw.   But was it really any worse than the scene in LOTR when the Uraki beheads that Orc and says "Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!" and entrails go flying all over the place?    I think not. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1202 on: January 02, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
Yeah on watching the extended Battle Of The Five Armies I was looking out for what might make it R rated (15 in the UK as opposed to 12A). Of course I believe that officially it is the extra "twist and crunch" when Legolas stabs Bolg in the head that made the difference, but my observations when viewing (without knowing that) were:

- That troll ("Stumpy" as he is referred to in the extras) with amputated legs, no eyes and chains in its eye sockets. I believe it made it into the theatrical version (Legolas sees it and uses it to knock down a tower), but I think there was a lot more of it in the extended, including seeing more of the orcs controlling it using the chains, followed by Bofur doing the same. To me that was the one thing that stood out as most horrific and maybe worthy of a higher rating.
- The fact that the elves and dwarves actually kill each other. In the theatrical version the orcs arrive just as the elves and dwarves are finished trading insults and about to attack each other, but we never see them actually fight. It's one thing for people to be killed by "scary, evil monsters" like the orcs, but for elves and dwarves (both depicted as fundamentally "good" races) to be shown actually attacking and killing each other might be seen as more shocking.
- The extra bloody deaths that were included, such as the decapitations and eviscerations by the chariot. I don't know if any of them alone are so bad that they would affect the rating, but perhaps they just thought that if they were going to risk being stuck with an R rating anyway they may as well just go for it and include some more graphic violence.

Watched the first disc of the extras and in the process of watching the second right now. As I suspected and had heard before, the lacking version of The Battle Of The Five Armies that was released in theatres was greatly due to the time factor making them literally unable to finish the CGI sequences, as well as the rushed nature and studio meddling early on that meant there wasn't as clear a vision for the way the battle would go early on which meant that more of had to be purely CGI. My impression watching the films (and the first two films' extras) was that the parts that were rushed and really suffered by the story shuffling were the role of Azog and the orcs, and the battle of the five armies. Watching the third film's documentaries I think definitely confirms it - Azog was rushed for the first film because they had only relatively recently abandoned the original designs, and the detail of the battle of the five armies wasn't known early on so had to be hashed out basically in the year before the film was released.

I know that a lot of people are hung up on the fact it should have been one film, but honestly I think that a trilogy is fine and most of the flaws are less to do with the number of the films that were made, and more to do with the time pressure and the fact it was changed as it went on. Adversity like that can sometimes lead to something greater than if a director has full control and gets to operate exactly as they want, but I think in this case it would have been better if Peter Jackson had had an extra year or so in preproduction to get everything sorted to be a bit more cohesive as a trilogy. Also, if you are going to hack it down then I think two films is the sweet spot rather than one. I've mentioned before in this thread (several times I believe) that I don't think a great one-film version could have been done while simultaneously getting most of the memorable episodes from the Hobbit book, and making it feel like something that could be in the same universe as The Lord Of The Rings. But you can still see the remnants of a two film version in the finished product - film one would be "the journey", taking you from Hobbiton to within sight of the Lonely Mountain with the expanded barrel chase sequence as the climax of the film, and with film two introducing and entirely focused on Lake Town, Erebor and what happens there. Cut or drastically reduce one of the "orc chase" sequences from an Unexpected Journey and perhaps some of the backstory (even though I love the scenes of the battle at the gates of Moria), Smaug confronts Bilbo and leaves the mountain to attack Lake Town without an extended action sequence with the dwarves, the battle of the five armies is cut down slightly to be a singular climactic battle, and the fat is trimmed here and there to give you, at the very least, a complet "two extended film" version of the Hobbit.

But considering the amount of films these days that get split into two parts (Harry Potter did it and it allowed it a worthy big finale to a huge film series, but many that have followed in its footsteps aren't worthy), I really think that the Hobbit being from pushed from two to three films is actually fine. Yes, the children's book Tolkien wrote may be a mere "300 pages" (though it packs a lot of events into those pages due to its zippy pace), but the events that take place during the Hobbit, as they exist within the context of Middle Earth, are definitely worthy of a trilogy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1203 on: January 03, 2016, 03:34:30 AM »
I do think two films would have been best. As you explained, there's a lot of fat to trim on this trilogy.

And one film would indeed be too little. My favorite stuff is the scenes dealing with Sauron. Gandalf's side quests. Bigger picture stuff. That would've been lost of if it was a single movie adaptation of the Hobbit book.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1204 on: January 04, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Yeah, one film would have sufficed if they were only adapting the novel.  But with adding in the extra stuff from the LOTR Appendices and other stuff, one film wasn't enough. 

I think the original two film plan would have worked.  But even the three-film system would have been better with some more studious editing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1205 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:54 AM »
So i'm thinking of re-watching all 6 movies but I can't decide if I should see them in chronological order or start with LoTR and go from there? For some reason it just feels like it would be more enjoyable seeing the old movies first and then the new ones even though it's not the correct order.

What do you think?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1206 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:41 AM »
Personally, just like when I watch Star Wars, I'd go chronological.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1207 on: March 12, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »
The only option is to see them in the order they were released

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1208 on: March 12, 2016, 07:18:02 AM »
The only option is to see them in the order they were released
Just curious, why do you think that?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1209 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
Order of release. Even though they are definitely designed to feel like they go together, the Hobbit movies aren't really designed to fit well watching before Lord Of The Rings.

Think about the beginning of the Hobbit, with Bilbo speaking to Frodo and a little bit of foreshadowing (if you can call it that, for something that was released earlier) for him leaving the Shire. If you haven't seen The Lord Of The Rings, that stuff is not very meaningful at all - it's hinting at stuff that doesn't happen in the Hobbit, but at the start of the Lord Of The Rings, and isn't even anything really to do with the story of the Hobbit other than it involves the ring he finds. If you come from Lord Of The Rings first, that stuff helps link the Hobbit to what has come before (even though it's a prequel). But if you're going through the Hobbit first, it basically doesn't add anything to the Hobbit, and by the time you get to Fellowship Of The Ring, Bilbo's relationship with the ring and his plans to leave don't really benefit from any previous hints as they don't need them (since the film was obviously designed to work as a beginning).

Of course, obviously since we have all seen all of the films it is not like you literally don't know what's coming in Lord Of The Rings, so you could start with the Hobbit fine and get a kick out of LOTR references since you're already familiar with them. But it's stuff like that that means that the films flow better in order of release rather than chronological. The Lord Of The Rings may be a sequel to the Hobbit novel, but the Hobbit trilogy is definitely a prequel to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. And contrary to what is sometimes assumed, prequels almost always work better after the original, since the original was made to stand alone while the prequel was made to benefit from the original.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:56:25 AM by RuRoRul »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1210 on: March 12, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »
You have a good point. I think because i've seen all the movies I just thought it would be fun to watch them in chronological order because that's how the story goes and it would be interesting to see the progress and how they flow together. Haven't seen the old movies in ages so would be fun to save them for last also.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1211 on: March 12, 2016, 08:55:30 AM »
Found this quote by PJ:

"If you can get us the rights to these books we’d like to make The Hobbit as one film and, if it’s successful, we’d like to do The Lord of the Rings as two movies’. Now, 17 years later, it has become six movies and we did them the wrong way round: we did Lord of the Rings first and The Hobbit was supposed to be two films, so it’s all been very weird. It’s not anything I could control – it’s just circumstance and fate – but the one thing I think I’m very proud of is that when people do see the six films in the series in the right order, then they’ll sort of sense there was some vague design behind it all, as chaotic as it actually was in terms of the order being changed around.”

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1212 on: March 12, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
It could go either way, for reasons others have pointed out.  You already know the stories, and you know the release order.  With that in mind, all the callbacks and "callforwards" will stand out a bit anyway, and you can get a kick out of how well they're done, or maybe laugh at how obviously shoehorned in they are.  Legolas dancing his way through The Hobbit?  Go find a ranger dude named Strider, because he might, you know, turn out to be someone important?  Come on.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1213 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »
I would start with The Hobbit just for chronological purposes. Even though it's unnecessarily long, it does have it's good purposes.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1214 on: March 12, 2016, 02:37:56 PM »
I'd also say start with the Hobbit movies, but don't bother with the extended editions. However, when you get to the LOTR movies, I'd definitely go with the EE as they add a little bit depth to the story.

You'll notice a darker and more serious tone with LOTR, which mirrors the tone of the books.

I must admit to not liking the Hobbit movies anywhere near as much, for pretty much the reasons already mentioned. Interesting to see even PJ acknowledging some of the issues - I admire his honesty.

You could always forget about the movies altogether and just go read the books.. ;)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1215 on: March 12, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »
I'd say definitely go for the extended editions of The Hobbit, especially BOTFA. I think it makes it a much better movie.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1216 on: March 12, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
I'd say definitely go for the extended editions of The Hobbit, especially BOTFA. I think it makes it a much better movie.

Oh? Cool. Can you remember any stand out extra scenes? (Please don't say there's more of Billy Connolly's Dain Ironfoot - I hated that part  :lol)

I just didn't have the appetite for double-dipping for extra content with the Hobbit. With LOTR, I had the original theatrical editions on DVD, the EE on DVD, and then the Blu-Ray EEs when they were released. This time, I bought the first Hobbit on BR, but didn't buy any of the second two as they're all now on Netflix.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1217 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »

Oh? Cool. Can you remember any stand out extra scenes? (Please don't say there's more of Billy Connolly's Dain Ironfoot - I hated that part  :lol)
Elves vs. Dwarves.
Chariot Chase.
Bilbo and Bofur.
Thorin's Funeral.

Also the White Council vs. Ringwraiths fight (slightly extended / improved I think). The Battle Of The Five Armies extended even just improved the CGI in various non-extended parts of the film, I think. And the improved pacing means that the Alfrid scenes (while still there) don't feel nearly as annoying as they are not packed so close together. Definitely much better than the theatrical version, and it's not even that long for a Middle Earth film.

As far as the films themselves go, there's less need for the extended version of the first two Hobbit films, especially the first - there's very little added. The documentaries are still good though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1218 on: March 12, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »
Ru pretty much nailed it. To sum it up, it's definitely worth it. It's easily my favorite of the trilogy.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1219 on: March 13, 2016, 05:04:24 AM »
Thx for the tips guys, I started with The Hobbit yesterday.  :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1220 on: March 14, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »
Watched the extended versions of The Hobbit in the last couple of weeks, and I've moved on to watching the extended LotR. Holy smokes the difference in pace is enormous! I forgot about that, and especially watching the ending of The Battle Of... and going straight into The Fellowship was a smack in the face.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that the CGI in the Lord of the Rings holds up pretty well, even difficult scenes, like Gandalf fighting the Balrog still look pretty good, and they started working on it in '99! Even The Return of the King is already 13 years old.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1221 on: March 14, 2016, 04:56:23 AM »
I'll admit it, I never got to finish the Hobbit trilogy. The first one was OK, the second one was better, but by the time the third came out, and most reviews were fairly lukewarm (or thought it was a step down from the second again), I just didn't feel the enthusiasm or excitement to actually see it.

Considering how much I love the LOTR trilogy, I would want to return and finish the Hobbit trilogy one day, and also see all the 3 Hobbits in extended edition format, but for whatever reason I don't feel like doing it. There was really nothing overly appealing with the story, and it felt so drawn out. With LOTR I loved everything that was going on, so the slow pace and 11-12 hour run time of the whole trilogy (extended) is rewarding through the whole viewing, but with The Hobbit I didn't get as invested in the plot as I hoped.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1222 on: March 14, 2016, 05:23:10 AM »
Elves vs. Dwarves.
Chariot Chase.
Bilbo and Bofur.
Thorin's Funeral.

Also the White Council vs. Ringwraiths fight (slightly extended / improved I think). The Battle Of The Five Armies extended even just improved the CGI in various non-extended parts of the film, I think. And the improved pacing means that the Alfrid scenes (while still there) don't feel nearly as annoying as they are not packed so close together. Definitely much better than the theatrical version, and it's not even that long for a Middle Earth film.

As far as the films themselves go, there's less need for the extended version of the first two Hobbit films, especially the first - there's very little added. The documentaries are still good though.

I think Thorin's funeral probably interests me the most in seeing. He didn't get much of a send off in the TE. I got the impression that Bofur was shortchanged - there seemed to be a friendship there with Bilbo, but was never fleshed out.

I think there's probably enough fighting scenes for me - I wouldn't be dying about seeing any more. I did like the duel between Thorin and Azog though - they way Thorin stepped off that floating ice block to let it tip up was very cool.

I'll admit it, I never got to finish the Hobbit trilogy. The first one was OK, the second one was better, but by the time the third came out, and most reviews were fairly lukewarm (or thought it was a step down from the second again), I just didn't feel the enthusiasm or excitement to actually see it.

Considering how much I love the LOTR trilogy, I would want to return and finish the Hobbit trilogy one day, and also see all the 3 Hobbits in extended edition format, but for whatever reason I don't feel like doing it. There was really nothing overly appealing with the story, and it felt so drawn out. With LOTR I loved everything that was going on, so the slow pace and 11-12 hour run time of the whole trilogy (extended) is rewarding through the whole viewing, but with The Hobbit I didn't get as invested in the plot as I hoped.

I can relate to that. I totally loved the LOTR trilogy, but the Hobbit movies just didn't have the same magic for me. It's hard to put my finger on why exactly. I was pretty forgiving about the padding they added to stretch it out to 3 movies, but maybe it didn't need all that overshadowing stuff to link it up to the LOTR movies. Dunno - maybe it should have been left as a fun adventure to go on a quest to kill a dragon and get some gold, without too much knowledge of the bigger picture..   :tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1223 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:32 AM »
I may have mentioned it early in the thread but I never even got around to finishing the second movie and part of the reason was that there was no real sense of danger, which is what turned me off about the first movie. Once that card was played it just ruined my enjoyment because you knew every one in that stupidly large group of theirs was going to live no matter if they were fighting orcs or wolves or whatever. It's been well over a decade since I read the book and I know it's a kids story but man give me something a slight bit believable.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1224 on: March 14, 2016, 06:38:54 AM »
Lately I've watched the scenes at Bilbo's home quite a few times (my daughters want to see the Hobbit because I made up a version of it as a bedtime story, but they're not old enough to see orcs and battles) and there's one scene that irks me and sums up my problem with these movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XbCAX65Aio

In an instant, the movie goes from doing throwing dishes around while singing stupid songs to an overly dramatic moment with the Gandalf close-up and the terrible "he's here", which is basically a copy from similar moments in LOTR that worked well because there was a real threat, not just a known character knocking at the damn door. The movie does not know whether it wants to be a light hearted tale with non-threatening battles or a LOTR 2.0, and it ends up being neither.

The dwarves looking like anything but dwarves is a major problem for me too, though I acknowledge not everyone feels this way.