Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 532830 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #1925 on: January 29, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
Just don't forget to wear flowers in your hair.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1926 on: January 29, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
Well, shoot.  I was not planning on seeing them.  But they're in San Francisco on Saturday night.  And I'm going to be in San Francisco on Saturday night.  Shoot.
the regency is a great venue, one of my favorites from SF. enjoy!  :metal :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1927 on: January 29, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
Man, the Wind at my Back stuff is really killing Kaleidoscope (the song) for me. Crap :( Otherwise the album is quite decent really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1928 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
Well, shoot.  I was not planning on seeing them.  But they're in San Francisco on Saturday night.  And I'm going to be in San Francisco on Saturday night.  Shoot.
the regency is a great venue, one of my favorites from SF. enjoy!  :metal :metal

I don't think I'm going to go.  But it just sucks because it seems like such a wasted opportunity.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1929 on: January 29, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »

I swear I followed up that they were making a new album and touring but obviously not. Only found out yesterday that it released and they're playing in San Francisco Saturday night. Problem is I don't drive and public transportation stops at midnight and I work the graveyard shifts starting at 1:00 AM Sunday nights. Can't believe I'm gonna miss out!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1930 on: January 29, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »
Love the album! Just from the first listen, it's not quite as good as the other three (which are pretty much tied for me) but it's great and I'm totally psyched for Friday. I'm hoping to see Stranger in Your Soul  :metal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1931 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
Kaleidoscope (song) is much better than I expected it to be. Also, yes, pretty strong similarities with Wind At My Back  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1932 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Two more comments:
-The final vocal note of Into The Blue is 16 seconds long.
-3:03 of Kaleidoscope is a horrible transition.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1933 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
YOUR MOM IS A HORRIBLE TRANSITION!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1934 on: January 29, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
-3:03 of Kaleidoscope is a horrible transition.

Funny, I find it gorgeous :p
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1935 on: January 29, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1936 on: January 29, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Exactly!  I take back what I said about his mom.  HIS MOM ACTUALLY PUT THE "HOR" IN HORRIBLE!  >:(

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1937 on: January 29, 2014, 05:16:14 PM »
Exactly!  I take back what I said about his mom.  HIS MOM ACTUALLY PUT THE "HOR" IN HORRIBLE!  >:(

Just appreciating this. Nothing more to add.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #1938 on: January 29, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
Plot twist! 3:03 of Kaleidoscope IS my mom!

:eek :eek :eek
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1939 on: January 29, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
:panicattack:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1940 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1941 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »
Who does one of the lead vocals on Into The Blue???Its an amazing job!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1942 on: January 29, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
Daniel Gildenlow did those awesome vocals 17 and a half minutes in. The booklet says he's a guest vocalist. I sure hope this Ted Leonard guy is a good singer. It's too bad I won't be able see Gildenlow do those vocals live.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1943 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
Daniel Gildenlow did those awesome vocals 17 and a half minutes in. The booklet says he's a guest vocalist. I sure hope this Ted Leonard guy is a good singer. It's too bad I won't be able see Gildenlow do those vocals live.
Ted is good. I have the new Spocks Beard. He does a great job.
Daniel is great on that track!
Hope he gets well soon!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1944 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

Ted is great, but he just doesn't sing/sound like Daniel, so I'm not expecting much from that section live.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1945 on: January 29, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
Yeah, that is some unfortunate irony that they finally gave him a vocal section on a studio album, instead of being a live-only 5th member, and now he will miss a part of the tour and not be there to sing it. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1946 on: January 30, 2014, 05:56:43 AM »

Ted is great, but he just doesn't sing/sound like Daniel, so I'm not expecting much from that section live.
Yeah, it makes me sad he won't be there. Especially hearing what the reason why is.
Hopefully Ted will surprise us all.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1947 on: January 30, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »
I'm sure Ted will do a fine job on guitar and vocals. Of course he won't beat Daniel in terms of showmanship.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: January 30, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
Man, Roine really butchers the Preacher and the Teacher part of "And You and I". Otherwise, the cover is great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1949 on: January 30, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
When we did The Whirlwind tour we were playing a three hour show and it was only six songs. [laughs] Obviously, now with the new album we can’t physically go out and play four or five hour show. So, inevitably you have to start to pick and choose what stays and what goes. Basically, the setlist on this tour will be pretty much everything off the Kaleidoscope, because we want to play the new stuff and let people hear the new stuff, but at the same time obviously we have to play some of the epics, we have to pick and choose. We can only use sections of The Whirlwind, we can’t go out there and do the full 75 minutes, we did that at our last tour. So, you know as you go further into your career you have to start to pick and choose. It was something I learned with Dream Theater. With Transatlantic we only get to do a limited amount of touring with each album, because all four of us have some of the other things going on in our lives. You kind of have to make each show very special for the people that are coming because, you know, who knows when you’re gonna get to see Transatlantic again. So that’s it, we wrote a setlist this time around that will be great for the people that have already seen us, but will also be great for people that have never seen us and you know, make it a special night of intense progressive music.

https://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/mike-portnoy-interview-2/#sthash.BUEhizL0.dpuf

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1950 on: January 30, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
Man, Roine really butchers the Preacher and the Teacher part of "And You and I". Otherwise, the cover is great.

I don't see myself listening to any of these covers as I often as I have listened to the Genesis and Santana covers from the Whirlwind bonus CD, but I do like the ELO and Focus covers on the new one quite a bit.  I have a hard time with the Yes and Moodies covers, simply because the originals are so absolutely perfect, so it is pretty much impossible to do them justice. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: January 30, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
I'm down with all of Kaleidoscope, but since they didn't play Suite Charlotte Pike on Whirld Tour, I hope they bring it out this time. Otherwise, all their music is so good, I'll enjoy whatever they do.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
40 seconds into black as the sky, it's Devil's Got My Throat from Snow.  Love it popping up randomly in TA.  That is all for now as the album is way too fresh to have any real opinion.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1953 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
Yeah, I noticed the Devil's Got My Throat thing too. It's only very short though.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1954 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
^Yep. Noticed right away on the first listen. Sometimes I wonder if these little reprises are intentional or if it's been so long since
NM heard Snow that he forgot he already did a section like that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1955 on: January 30, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
Well, keep in mind that Neal Morse is an extremely prolific writer, so when you write that much stuff, you are bound to write songs with riffs or melodies that are similar to others you've written.  Hell, Steven Wilson is far more diverse of a writer stylistically than Neal, and yet even he does it at times, too (like The Sky Moves Sideways guitar leads showing up in both Glass Arm Shattering and Veneno Para Las Hadas).  It happens.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1956 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Sorry, but I always find these "I write so much, I'm bound to repeat myself" arguments rather weak. Not that I have written all that much music myself, but when I have done so, I am keenly aware what my previous stuff has been and try to avoid it. And I would say most artists have this aversion to repeating themselves, including artists who have had a career for 50 years.
Reality is, like it or not, but Neal has somewhat of a Lego approach to his music. He has fixed elements he plugs into his songs, and that regularly causes repetition in his songs. He essentially "parked" the Wind At My Back chord progression for a while, and the same for the Devil At My Throat thing. Whether him pulling them out of park position was intentional (in the sense of enough time has passed, let's reuse this) or unintentional, who knows. But fact is, Neal has a problem with self-plagiarization.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1957 on: January 30, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
Sorry, but I always find these "I write so much, I'm bound to repeat myself" arguments rather weak. Not that I have written all that much music myself, but when I have done so, I am keenly aware what my previous stuff has been and try to avoid it. And I would say most artists have this aversion to repeating themselves, including artists who have had a career for 50 years.
Reality is, like it or not, but Neal has somewhat of a Lego approach to his music. He has fixed elements he plugs into his songs, and that regularly causes repetition in his songs. He essentially "parked" the Wind At My Back chord progression, and the same for the Devil At My Throat. Whether him pulling them out of park position was intentional (in the sense of enough time has passed, let's reuse this) or unintentional, who knows. But fact, Neal has a problem with self-plagiarization.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1958 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
Riffs always rehash, over and over and over...
Every artist who has been around long enough, winds up having stuff sound similar.
Rush...Yes...Dream Theater...Neal Morse....
all guilty.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1959 on: January 30, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
Riffs always rehash, over and over and over...
Every artist who has been around long enough, winds up having stuff sound similar.
Rush...Yes...Dream Theater...Neal Morse....
all guilty.

True, and in the case of at least Rush and Yes, and perhaps even Dream Theater, they do it ON PURPOSE!!! *GASP*

I'm not sure which is worse - rehashing motifs/riffs/ideas/melodies/progressions on purpose, or by accident?

With Rush, they/Alex purposely re-used the infamous "Hemispheres Chord" for "Far Cry" back in 2007. With Yes, they threw in a ton of stuff over the years, be it lyrical or musical mentions to their 70's glory. And with Dream Theater, they did it a couple times on FII, and even ended up doing a WHOLE ALBUM based on a 9-minute song, re-using a ton of riffs and progressions, as well as lyrical ideas.

But yeah, it happens! What do you expect? Musicians who live and breathe music often find themselves treading old ground, either on purpose or by accident, but it DOES happen. A lot. More than you'd think.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!