Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 532760 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #1610 on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
I think Kev is simply referring to Radiant's history.

Everything I've preordered from Radiant has come before the release date. Maybe I'm lucky that way.

That's true for most people, I'm sure.  But there have been plenty who have had issues with the website and/or delivery. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
LOL, well, they aren't gonna say that ahead of time, but many of us could give you stories about ordering from Radiant and then not getting the CD until well after the release date, hence my sarcastic post earlier.  I was burned by them on that back in 2005 when I pre-ordered Neal Morse's ?, had to bug them over a week after the release date about it, finally got a reply saying that it was being sent out, with no apology or anything.  They burned their bridges with me right there and then, and I have read enough stuff over the years, from others who've had similar problems, to know that I made the right decision.

Well I'll wait until I get burned like that before reserving my own judgement.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1612 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »
I pre-ordered the super-deluxe media book package from Radiant this time because I was interested in getting one of the signed copies and -more importantly- I don't really give a shit when it gets delivered. 

If I absolutely had to have it on release day, I would have found another way to get the album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1613 on: January 14, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
I've honestly never cared about the whole "getting it on the release date". I can afford to wait a few days.

Anyways, I usually never order things until they've been out for years...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1614 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but I've NEVER had a problem in dealing with Radiant in more than 15 years.

They absolutely inflate their shipping costs, but I've always mitigated that with the guarantee that I'll get it well before the release date and the incentive that something would be signed. Okay...I'm a sucker for that personal touch.

Since I blew my shot at getting something signed during the last round, I opted not to order during the last go round.

The signed music book was not something I was interested in.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1615 on: January 15, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
NEWS FROM MIKE!!!

We are saddened to announce that because of some personal issues that have unfortunately arisen, Daniel Gildenlow will not be able to join us for the first half of the upcoming Transatlantic tour.

However, coming to our rescue will be Ted Leonard of Spock's Beard/Enchant to help us out and step in as Transatlantic's 5th touring member

Ted will be standing in until Daniel is able to come join back up with us...(we are hoping that will be for the Progressive Nation at Sea cruise and the European tour, but only time will tell...)

In the meantime, please help us wish Daniel all the best and welcome aboard Ted!

Sad to hear about DG, but I hope his issues are quickly resolved. Glad to hear they have gotten Ted to helm the 5th spot, though, and I think he'll be suitable for the band! Kind of funny to have Spock's Beard's former and current frontmen in the same band...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1616 on: January 15, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
That's too bad. On the last tour DG was the most interesting one to watch. The new guy's resume and skillset seem to be up to the task, but DG just seemed to really gel with his role there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1617 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:21 PM »
It worries me that MP says that he "hopes" that DG will be ready for the cruise, since Pain of Salvation are playing. Ted will do a fantastic job, and since I've already seen TA with DG I'd almost prefer to get to see them with Ted, but when I saw PoS at RoSfest DG was sick and the other guitarist had to stay back and the show was lacking as a result, was hoping to see them under proper circumstances this time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1618 on: January 15, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
It worries me that MP says that he "hopes" that DG will be ready for the cruise, since Pain of Salvation are playing. Ted will do a fantastic job, and since I've already seen TA with DG I'd almost prefer to get to see them with Ted, but when I saw PoS at RoSfest DG was sick and the other guitarist had to stay back and the show was lacking as a result, was hoping to see them under proper circumstances this time.

You raise a good point. If the show gets to the point where Ted gels really really well with the rest of the band and it becomes a tight touring unit, a live recording from them would be AWESOME to have, especially since we already have 3 live releases featuring DG in the band. One from them with TL would be neat, especially if we get a separate release from them from the cruise.

I guess if DG isn't ready for the PN Cruise, Ted will still cover since Spock's Beard will also be on the cruise. Hopefully that doesn't mess up THEIR schedules either (in that TA and SB aren't performing at the same time).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1619 on: January 15, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »
Kind of funny to have Spock's Beard's former and current frontmen in the same band...

Ha ha, I totally forgot that Ted Leonard is with Spock's Beard now.  I'll always think of him as the guy from Enchant.  I don't even follow Spock's Beard anymore.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1620 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
Kind of funny to have Spock's Beard's former and current frontmen in the same band...

Ha ha, I totally forgot that Ted Leonard is with Spock's Beard now.  I'll always think of him as the guy from Enchant.  I don't even follow Spock's Beard anymore.

WHAAAAT. Dude, get Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep. It's easily one of my Top 5 albums of 2013, and has been on a lot of people's Top 10 lists in many magazines, blogs, critic's sites, etc. etc.

It's a great album, and I hear they're working on another album this year as well. It's good stuff, and it's even got a couple songs with Neal Morse's help (as he helped Alan put some stuff together). It's fresh-yet-classic SB, definitely worth listening to at LEAST once (the special edition, with the bonus tracks), if not owning in physical format!

-Marc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1621 on: January 15, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
I think it might actually be my favourite SB album. :O

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1622 on: January 15, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
I remember checking out Feel Euphoria and then Octane, neither of which were completely horrible, but they didn't really fire me up.  The self-titled was okay, too, some good stuff, but it just seemed like the spirit was gone (the spirit being Neal, of course).  Then I vaguely remember hearing that Ted Leonard had joined them, and I'm apparently one of like five people in the world who actually likes Enchant, but somehow I never got around to checking out the new Spock's Beard album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1623 on: January 15, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Bob, it's really good.  I think you'll like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1624 on: January 15, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
I remember checking out Feel Euphoria and then Octane, neither of which were completely horrible, but they didn't really fire me up.  The self-titled was okay, too, some good stuff, but it just seemed like the spirit was gone (the spirit being Neal, of course).  Then I vaguely remember hearing that Ted Leonard had joined them, and I'm apparently one of like five people in the world who actually likes Enchant, but somehow I never got around to checking out the new Spock's Beard album.

So, you stopped before X came out (which, to that point, was their best post-Neal album), and then skipped over BNADS too?!

Their last two albums, while being two different line-ups, are both two of the best SB albums, right up there with the best of the Neal-Era material! Both are definitely worth checking out!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1625 on: January 15, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Roine
To avoid any speculations - Daniel is hospitalized - "The issues" that keeps him from joining Transatlantic on the American shows - are medical issues. I've spoken to him today and he is OK - but it will be a few weeks to full recovery. In time he may let you know details (or not) but let's just say he was in a very dangerous place just yesterday. (agressive bacteria) We're relieved that he returned from the twilight zone and he will now need rest and to be under observation - so a tour and frequent flights,early mornings and exposure to bacterial all sorts is not a good idea. Daniel is looking forward to meet you all - and rest assured he will give you 100% once he is fully recovered. We aim at the PROG cruise. That's the plan. Until then Ted Leonard (Spocks Beard) will join Transatlantic . Send your good vibes to both Daniel - his family & Ted who was gracious to fill in at short notice.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1626 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
To avoid any speculations - Daniel is hospitalized - "The issues" that keeps him from joining Transatlantic on the American shows - are medical issues. I've spoken to him today and he is OK - but it will be a few weeks to full recovery. In time he may let you know details (or not) but let's just say he was in a very dangerous place just yesterday. (agressive bacteria) We're relieved that he returned from the twilight zone and he will now need rest and to be under observation - so a tour and frequent flights,early mornings and exposure to bacterial all sorts is not a good idea. Daniel is looking forward to meet you all - and rest assured he will give you 100% once he is fully recovered. We aim at the PROG cruise. That's the plan. Until then Ted Leonard (Spocks Beard) will join Transatlantic . Send your good vibes to both Daniel - his family & Ted who was gracious to fill in at short notice.

Always good to hear from Roine, and for some clarification regarding Daniel's issues. Sad to hear about his hospitalization. It's always something, isn't it? What bad luck to have, but hopefully he will recover quickly!

And yes, cheers to Ted for filling in on such REALLY short notice. I mean, he's got to learn 3 hours of music he's never played before! YIKES...but I'm sure he'll handle it expertly!

And go figure - just as soon as TA give DG some vocals to do on an album, he can't make the start of the tour.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: January 15, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Bob, it's really good.  I think you'll like it.

This. I didn't like Octane and Feel Euphoria but this latest record is fantastic.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1628 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:15 PM »

So, you stopped before X came out (which, to that point, was their best post-Neal album), and then skipped over BNADS too?!

Their last two albums, while being two different line-ups, are both two of the best SB albums, right up there with the best of the Neal-Era material! Both are definitely worth checking out!

-Marc.

Not to hijack the TA thread with SB love, but this so much.  While I like Octane, FE and s/t were mediocre by SB standards for sure.  X and BNADS are fantastic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1629 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »

Always good to hear from Roine, and for some clarification regarding Daniel's issues. Sad to hear about his hospitalization. It's always something, isn't it? What bad luck to have, but hopefully he will recover quickly!

And yes, cheers to Ted for filling in on such REALLY short notice. I mean, he's got to learn 3 hours of music he's never played before! YIKES...but I'm sure he'll handle it expertly!

And go figure - just as soon as TA give DG some vocals to do on an album, he can't make the start of the tour.

-Marc.

Not to mention Yes stuff if DG ends up having to miss the cruise.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1630 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Huge Transatlantic fan here, but maybe I'm just not a huge fan of covers.  Anyway, checked out the King Crimson and Yes covers today for the first time.   :o  Superb stuff, instantly I like them better than any of the covers from The Whirlwind.

Also been reading a lot of reviews.  This one may have already been linked to, but good none the less.  https://www.hitthefloor.com/music/rock-metal/review-transatlantic-kaleidoscope-album

I can't be more excited for this release.  And of course, seeing them in Chicago very soon.  I'm really excited to meet Ted Leonard as well, as I'm doing the VIP thing.  I love all his work.  That said, I'd obviously rather have Daniel in better circumstances instead (I haven't really heard anything he's done, but his health is far more important than me meeting a singer I like!!!).

I have such incredibly high expectations for this album.  I really don't see how they won't be met, Transatlantic seems to exceed expectations every time for me.  And with it being a while since Momentum, and no new prog cd from him on the horizon that we know about (he's talked about a singer/songwriter album if I remember correctly, possibly from IC letters?), I'm thirsty for some Morse/Portnoy prog.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1631 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »
no new prog cd from him on the horizon that we know about (he's talked about a singer/songwriter album if I remember correctly, possibly from IC letters?), I'm thirsty for some Morse/Portnoy prog.

Actually, it was reported by Randy George that he, Eric, and Bill were writing new solo-prog album music without Mike a few weeks ago. There was a pic of Eric mashing out skeleton drum parts for the music, too, supposedly whenever Mike can get around to tracking for them.

It looks like this will be a full-band release, with their input and performances. Between releasing and touring the new Transatlantic, then doing the new Flying Colors, I don't expect a new Neal Morse album until midway next year. If the next Flying Colors album is out by fall or winter, they'll likely be touring for it next winter or spring, so to give Neal (and Mike) some breathing room, they'll probably not release Neal's next solo album until at least the summer of 2015. I'm okay with that - gotta space out my Neal/Mike projects/bands over the next couple years!!

-Marc.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1632 on: January 16, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »
Dang, Ted must be a pro.  :omg:

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1633 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
Dang, Ted must be a pro.  :omg:

It's a crazy task, for sure. But if any of the guys of TA called today that I should fill in keyboard parts, maaaan, I'd work my ass off. I wouldn't sleep for days on end, just to be part of that experience.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1634 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »
Exactly.  "What?  You want me to play with TransAtlantic on the tour?"

What will be the next words out of your mouth?  "I don't know.  I would probably have to practice really hard..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1635 on: January 16, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
I really consider Daniel to be the fifth member in the band.

I'm a little bummed, but the opportunity to see Ted in this context will be interesting at least although I think he may be in over his head.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1636 on: January 16, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »

I'm a little bummed, but the opportunity to see Ted in this context will be interesting at least although I think he may be in over his head.

I wouldn't count Ted out so quick. He was in a similar situation having to learn a set of SB tunes before his first appearance with them at the High Voltage show a couple years ago.

And being a multi-instrumentalist AND a vocalist will help him I think. He can cover a LOT of parts, but I wonder if Roine and Neal will be picking up a bit of the slack for Ted since he is new to Transatlantic? Their rehearsals have only just begun, so we will see.

I cannot wait to see their tour documentary for this tour, at least, I hope they are filming one!!!

-Marc.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1637 on: January 17, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
I kinda always thought Rikard from Beardfish would be a perfect-fit 5th member live if Daniel couldn't continue on for them. ah well.

GET WELL SOON, Dannyboy!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1638 on: January 18, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »
Rikard. <3

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1639 on: January 18, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOP-DjbuYvM

Mike Portnoy's KALEIDODRUMS teaser, featuring a sample of what I presume to be new music from the new album!!!

9 days til release!!! I CAN'T WAIT!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1640 on: January 18, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
Not sure if I prefer Kaleidodrums or Kadrumoscope for the latest MP attempt to insert "drum" into an album title. I wonder if that is taken into consideration when his bands decide on album titles...  ;D

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1641 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »

I wouldn't count Ted out so quick. He was in a similar situation having to learn a set of SB tunes before his first appearance with them at the High Voltage show a couple years ago.

And being a multi-instrumentalist AND a vocalist will help him I think. He can cover a LOT of parts, but I wonder if Roine and Neal will be picking up a bit of the slack for Ted since he is new to Transatlantic? Their rehearsals have only just begun, so we will see.

I cannot wait to see their tour documentary for this tour, at least, I hope they are filming one!!!

-Marc.

The High Voltage set was a lot shorter than a Transatlantic set.

If there is enough rehearsal time, I'm sure things will improve. 

Generally though, a band that has Mike Portnoy in it doesn't get many full band rehearsals so the first several shows may be lacking more in chemistry than they normally would.

I'm sure he'll be fine after getting some shows in, but I don't think it's going to be easy.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1642 on: January 18, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOP-DjbuYvM

Mike Portnoy's KALEIDODRUMS teaser, featuring a sample of what I presume to be new music from the new album!!!

9 days til release!!! I CAN'T WAIT!

-Marc.

This got me quite excited too.  I've been ramping up towards the new TA release by listening to them a LOT lately, and there isn't any MP playing quite like this on any other TA stuff.  Sure, it's varied and interesting, but this is full on balls to the wall awesome!

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
These polyrhythms look.... Interesting....

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1644 on: January 19, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
These polyrhythms look.... Interesting....

Without discussing... The clip is from the title track.
I think I finally went too far with the video for that (even though MP loved it).