Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 532734 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Transatlantic: #4 in 2014
« Reply #1540 on: December 10, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
The instance must be moving, the site just craters instantaneously now.

Offline drew512

« Reply #1541 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »
It probably doesn't help the site runs ASP.NET... sometimes that crap doesn't scale well.

Heh, I just noticed that when I saw the 500 error page. Yea, lots of bad .NET stacks out there (but some good ones too).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: December 10, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »
"IT dude is now Initializing new server.. Should be running soon…very sorry for the delay.."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: December 10, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
site is back to spinning, must be on it's way up.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1544 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »
its up, still no add to cart button lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »
cart buttons went up slow.. i wanted the mega deluxe and it was last to get buttons.. probably missed it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: December 10, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
32 DOLLARS SHIPPING?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
Done.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: December 10, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
3835* number.

Offline drew512

« Reply #1549 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »
Aaaaand it's hosed again.

I did get far enough to see the outrageous shipping costs, and to see that despite having $70+ worth of items in my cart, and a total close to $100, the 15% discount still wasn't being applied (guessing the $80 requirement is pre-tax/shipping). At this point I'm going to pass on this pre-order and just buy it somewhere else later for a much more reasonable price. I've wasted enough of my morning trying to make this work. I like to support the artists, but this is bordering on ridiculous.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1550 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Ugh, woke up late and missed the start time, my order number is 386**, so unless most of the last 400 orders WEREN'T bundles, then I probably won't get the signed poster.

At least, as an Inner Circle member, I get the songbook signed by Neal, so that's not ALL bad.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: December 10, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
Ugh, woke up late and missed the start time, my order number is 386**, so unless most of the last 400 orders WEREN'T bundles, then I probably won't get the signed poster.

At least, as an Inner Circle member, I get the songbook signed by Neal, so that's not ALL bad.

-Marc.

No worries, the site was down for over an hour with capacity issues and the fact the IT guy couldn't turn on the buy boxes.  So none of us got in right at 10AM EST.  Mine was 11:14EST....

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1552 on: December 10, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
3835* number.
same here  :metal
luckily once the buy buttons were up it was relatively quick to do the checkout process, so heres hoping.
$90 spent, but who needs money?  :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
3835* number.
same here  :metal
luckily once the buy buttons were up it was relatively quick to do the checkout process, so heres hoping.
$90 spent, but who needs money?  :lol

Right, just the Picturebook+Songbook button went up way after the 3 CD deluxe edition button did.  It doesn't appear they can 'enable all'... so I wonder how many orders snuck in before ours. 

Mine was $116 after shipping..... Picturebook+Songbook + LP set.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1554 on: December 10, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm sorry, but when your website has in huge bold letter:

Big Holiday Sale At Radiant! 15% EVERYTHING in the store  for 3 days only!

And then it's on orders $80 or more, that's absolutely awful. I love Neal as a musician, but kinda dislike him at this point as a businessman and label runner.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: December 10, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »

And then it's on orders $80 or more, that's absolutely awful. I love Neal as a musician, but kinda dislike him at this point as a businessman and label runner.

Yeah they snuck the "$80 or more" in at the last minute, the ORIGINAL promo email did not mention that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1556 on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
Well, I'm going to wait and see what's offered through retailers. Probably will have to end up with just the 3 disc edition. It's really sad that what is, musically, probably my biggest anticipated release of 2014 is now something I'm already lukewarm towards because of how and where it was marketed.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1557 on: December 11, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
The sale was very misleading! But they still got my business since I want the special edition and songbook... I usually go to other retailers if I only want a std edition.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1558 on: December 12, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
I never even noticed the 80 bucks minimum. I just kept on clicking and clicking. The funny thing is, I shopped in work-breaks, so I really ended up buying a lot of stuff I couldn't even remember at the end of the day. I never looked at the cart total. I love the fact that I'm really impatient for all that stuff to arrive, since it'll probably surprise me.

And apart from that I haven't bought the meet and greet with 15% off (was that even with 15% off?) And I'm still doubting whether I'd like to 'meet my heroes'.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1559 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
I've met them all (some at TA, some otherwise), and they were all nice. That said I think Roine is probably the most approachable and fan friendly. Next is likely Daniel.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1560 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »

Yeah they snuck the "$80 or more" in at the last minute, the ORIGINAL promo email did not mention that.

This is what I get for going back on my decision (made over 7 years ago) that I'd never buy anything direct from that site again.  They sucked me in with the false misleading promise of "15% off everything" combined with "First 200 orders get a signed poster"  >:(   :censored   >:( .  I guess I expect better (read: more honest, less deceptive) advertising and disclosure in a pre-sale promotion.  Hell, ANY promotion. 

Fool me once...

Edit:
And just after I hit the "Post" button on the above, an email from Radiant Records in my inbox.  Here is the opening statement from that message:

Quote from: Radiant Records

Hello,

Thanks to all of you who ordered from us this week! We really appreciate it.

If you had trouble ordering we are very sorry and are extending the 15% off sale one more day so no one will be left out that wants to take advantage of this amazing offer.

NOTE: We will do our best to get your items to you by Christmas but we can't guarantee it.  (this applies to anything ordered that is not the new Transatlantic. The release date for the new TA is Jan. 28)

Thanks and all the best,

Radiant Team

No disclaimer, no asterisk that points to any conditions or requirements on the 15% off.  These emails are blatantly false and misleading.  Not cool.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:38:08 AM by kirksnosehair »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1561 on: December 13, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
Yeah, that's ridiculous.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
From MP:

"Something very special coming next Monday from Transatlantic, Inside Out Music and Progressive Nation at Sea...get ready for something very Progalicious! : )"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1563 on: December 14, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
From MP:

"Something very special coming next Monday from Transatlantic, Inside Out Music and Progressive Nation at Sea...get ready for something very Progalicious! : )"

I'm going to guess it will be their cover of "And You And I", as well as revealing their encore plans with Jon Anderson for the PN14 cruise. Or hopefully an announcement of one or more live releases from the cruise.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1564 on: December 14, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
Yeah, given how much Roine and Portnoy are already performing on the cruise I can't imagine their is going to be more performances announced, so it probably has something to do with what's already going on with TA on the cruise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1565 on: December 14, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
Why would they announce their encore plans for the cruise?  What fun would that be, if they announce what they are gonna do?  Better to not say anything and leave it a surprise.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1566 on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Why would they announce their encore plans for the cruise?  What fun would that be, if they announce what they are gonna do?  Better to not say anything and leave it a surprise.

Maybe not specifically, but perhaps they'll say "we're doing an epic" (in reference to saying it's a 'progalicious' update)...or I daresay, a whole album for a 40 minute encore!

Who knows...if it involves Transatlantic AND the cruise, it's gotta involve their show somehow.

-Marc.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1567 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
Go to the PN14 website to check out the World Premiere of Transatlantic's cover of the Yes classic "And You And I":
https://www.progressivenationatsea.com/premiere/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1568 on: December 16, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
Go to the PN14 website to check out the World Premiere of Transatlantic's cover of the Yes classic "And You And I":
https://www.progressivenationatsea.com/premiere/

Called it! Too bad I can't listen to it right now as I am at work, but I will asap!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1569 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »
Call me a pessimist, but I wasn't wild about this.  The music was done really well of course, even with not doing the normal intro, but as much as I enjoy the vocals of both Neal and Roine, neither have the vocals to do this song justice.  Neal sounded like he was really struggling with some of the lines during his section, and Roine aiming for some of those high notes is not playing to his strength as a vocalist (in the "I listen hard..." section).  I am sure it will slay on the cruise when Jon Anderson performs with them and likely does all of the lead singing, but while I suspect Portnoy chose this song because it is probably a favorite of his (and it is my favorite Yes song), it probably would have made more sense to choose a Yes song that was better suited for their singing voices.  Not be a spoil sport, but that was my impression after one listen.  I am admittedly a tough judge when it comes to covers though, especially when it is a song of which I am a huge fan. :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: December 16, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
At first I didn't like it because I was expecting it to be more like the original one but then I realized that's not what I should be expecting at all since this is a completely different band, doing a song that is almost 40 years old and also a song that I think is near perfect so I just relaxed and accepted what was coming my way and it was quite enjoyable actually. I think they just tried to modernize so that people would get past the comparison and that was probably a wise decision because I'm sure I'm not the only one that absolutely loves the original and I probably wouldn't listen to this song if it was too similar to the old one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1571 on: December 16, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »
At first I didn't like it because I was expecting it to be more like the original one but then I realized that's not what I should be expecting at all since this is a completely different band, doing a song that is almost 40 years old and also a song that I think is near perfect so I just relaxed and accepted what was coming my way and it was quite enjoyable actually. I think they just tried to modernize so that people would get past the comparison and that was probably a wise decision because I'm sure I'm not the only one that absolutely loves the original and I probably wouldn't listen to this song if it was too similar to the old one.

Same feelings. I enjoyed their meshing of live and studio versions of the song, while giving it a bit of a modern-prog twist. I dug the vocals because I was expecting TA-styled vocals, not Jon Anderson + Chris Squire vocals. Instrumentally, it's a pretty decent cover, great performances all around, especially Roine and Pete.

This makes me wonder what else they will be playing with Jon on the Cruise. I would really love to hear them do a whole album, but a few epics would be great, too!

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1572 on: December 16, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
I guess I'm more with Kev.  As soon as it started and it was the "old-style live version" (they've returned to the acoustic 12-string thing more recently) and of course they have to lower the key significantly, I realized that I should not have expected anything like an exact cover.  Other than the vocals, I'm sure these guys have the chops, but the idea here is clearly to put their own spin on it, and ultimately I didn't really care for it.  But that's after one listen.  I've heard the original and various live versions hundreds of times, easily.  So maybe it'll grow on me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1573 on: December 16, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
I gotta be honest, I don't get MP's cover-itis anyway (BCSL extra disc, Coverta etc etc). I mean, I *do* get wanting to play your favorite tunes, but recording it in a studio setting I don't get. Covers, IMHO, really only belong on a record if a) you have a really different approach to the tune or b) you don't have enough original tunes to fill up an album.
I think when they play it live on the cruise this tune will be probably all kinds of awesome. But the recording is decisively "eh".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:23:29 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1574 on: December 16, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
I gotta be honest, I don't get MP's cover-itis anyway (BCSL extra disc, Coverta etc etc). I mean, I *do* get wanting to play your favorite tunes, but recording it in a studio setting I don't get. Covers, IMHO, really only belong on a record if a) you have a really different approach to the tune or b) you don't have enough original tunes to fill up an album.
I think when they play it live on the cruise this tune will be probably all kinds of awesome. But the recording is decisively "eh".

I'm somewhat with you.  I actually like getting some bonus covers now and then, whether live or studio.  Both are cool for different reasons.  But I am definitely with you on the fact that I feel like Mike has overdone it in recent years, and I am burned out on covers by him in his various bands.  Not that they aren't well done, but it's just overkill.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."