Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 532783 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Transatlantic: #4 in 2014
« Reply #1365 on: October 28, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
I agree with bosk1

That's 'cause I'm hecka' smart. 

But yeah, I think we'll likely either get a medley or a few different movements scattered throughout the set that are treated as standalone songs like DT has done with the movements of 6DOIT.  Mark, I like your idea of throwing a bit of For Such A Time in there.  That would be really cool.  And I love that song, so I'd be fine with it just from that perspective alone. 

But if a medley is in there, I personally would prefer it to not have all of Dancing With Eternal Glory/The Whirlwind (Reprise).  I mean, it's a cool movement.  But it suffers from having the Lord Of The Rings/November Rain ending syndrome.  It sounds like you are at the end.  But no!  There is still like another 20 minutes and another 6 or 7 "endings" before you really get to the end.  That's all fine, except where you have a limited amount of time in a set and a LOT of music to play.

Which is why I would like them to limit the amount of Whirlwind material in the set. If the new album is 75-79 minutes long (as is typical with Transatlantic), that's about 80 minutes of a 3 hour set. What will they do with the remaining 100 minutes? I'm sure we'll get ONE of their first 3 epics ("All Of The Above", "Duel With The Devil", and "Stranger In Your Soul"), and possibly at least "We All Need Some Light". I say, keep DWTD, trade AOTA out with MNW, and play either "Mystery Train" or "Suite Charlotte Pike", as both were only played on one tour.

That doesn't leave a lot of time left in the show, as most about 50 minutes left of material to fill out between Whirlwind material and other songs. Guess we'll find out in a few months...

Either way, the new album will definitely be a contender for AOTY 2014!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1366 on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
So they're coming to SA for the first time in February and I already got my ticket. 4 months will be a long wait :caffeine:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1367 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
I'll throw my 2 cents in and say that to me, track lengths are very interesting.  To me, it's pretty much as exciting to hear about as the song titles themselves.  Anyone going to the Chicago show and have tickets yet?  I haven't found them on sale anywhere yet.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1368 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
I agree with the above post. I wish they'd release track lengths when they announce the song titles. It gives me a general idea of what the album's structure and flow will be like. It's the thing I want to find out more than anything else about an album.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1369 on: October 31, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
Some info from an interview with Mike:

Mike: Well, it’s everything that anybody that’s a fan of Transatlantic would want to hear from the band. “The Whirlwind” was a big epic undertaking and, when we started to make this follow-up, we did what we do. We make these epic songs. “Kaleidoscope” is made up of basically five songs, two of which are huge epics. One is 25 minutes, and one is 35 minutes. The three pieces in the middle are medium-length songs -- 6 or 7 minutes. It’s everything that Transatlantic fans would want from the band -- taking that classic prog sound from the 70s and giving it a modern twist and taking it to all-new extremes.

link: https://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=96992

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1370 on: October 31, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

Mike: Well, it’s everything that anybody that’s a fan of Transatlantic would want to hear from the band. “The Whirlwind” was a big epic undertaking and, when we started to make this follow-up, we did what we do. We make these epic songs. “Kaleidoscope” is made up of basically five songs, two of which are huge epics. One is 25 minutes, and one is 35 minutes. The three pieces in the middle are medium-length songs -- 6 or 7 minutes. It’s everything that Transatlantic fans would want from the band -- taking that classic prog sound from the 70s and giving it a modern twist and taking it to all-new extremes.

1. INTO THE BLUE ~ 25:00
2. SHINE ~ 6:00
3. BLACK AS THE SKY ~7:00
4. BEYOND THE SUN ~6:00
5. KALEIDOSCOPE ~ 35:00
Total ~ 79:00 (my guesses, of course, given that we know the album is book-ended with epics now)

That would seem about right...a full single CD, and I'm pretty sure we will get a bonus disc with extra songs, most likely covers.

As repetitive as it seems for Neal, I'm excited for these epics, especially if they're as good, if not better, than the last two he wrote since "The Whirlwind" with TA (that is, "Seeds Of Gold" and "World Without End", two of my favorites by Neal).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1371 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »
And from the same interview, there's this tasty tidbit:

Frank: Will “Kaleidoscope” actually involve Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation, since you’ve been using him on tour?

Mike: We talked about it before starting the album, but, really, Transatlantic is the four of us and there’s a great chemistry between the four of us. Daniel’s a great additional element on stage live, but we wanted to keep the writing chemistry just as it always has been, with just the four of us. That being said, we did find a nice spot for Daniel to do a guest vocal on the album.

SWEET! Even if it's just a guest vocal spot, it's nice that they put him on there like that! I enjoyed his longer, and lead vocal contributions on the last tour as documented on the live albums from it. I'm sure the next tour will be even better!

-Marc.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1372 on: October 31, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »

1. INTO THE BLUE ~ 25:00
2. SHINE ~ 6:00
3. BLACK AS THE SKY ~7:00
4. BEYOND THE SUN ~6:00
5. KALEIDOSCOPE ~ 35:00
Total ~ 79:00 (my guesses, of course, given that we know the album is book-ended with epics now)

That would seem about right...a full single CD, and I'm pretty sure we will get a bonus disc with extra songs, most likely covers.

As repetitive as it seems for Neal, I'm excited for these epics, especially if they're as good, if not better, than the last two he wrote since "The Whirlwind" with TA (that is, "Seeds Of Gold" and "World Without End", two of my favorites by Neal).

-Marc.

Following this thread. I know nothing about Transatlantic other than the fact that MP is there, I haven't heard one song by them (will fix that tomorrow), but just the grandiosity of the track titles for this and their assumed lengths is too much to handle.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1373 on: October 31, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
You'll love 'em. My humble recommendation would be to start with Stranger in Your Soul or All of the Above.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1374 on: October 31, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »
You'll love 'em. My humble recommendation would be to start with Stranger in Your Soul or All of the Above.
Definitely that one.

If the track lengths are a put off, try to think of it as just 30 minutes of music. Whether it's one song or six, who gives a fuck? All that matters is whether it's 30 minutes of music that you like.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1375 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
Definitely that one.

If the track lengths are a put off, try to think of it as just 30 minutes of music. Whether it's one song or six, who gives a fuck? All that matters is whether it's 30 minutes of music that you like.

When I said "too much to handle" I meant it in a good way.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1376 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
When I said "too much to handle" I meant it in a good way.
Oh. :lol Well you're not wrong, you're in for a treat if you haven't heard these guys before.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #1377 on: November 01, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
Funnily enough, the first Transatlantic song I ever heard was We All Need Some Light and I was totally sold on the sweet poppy sound they had going on. Talk about misrepresentative! The material I heard after just blew my head clean off.

Offline badger

« Reply #1378 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:02 AM »
Waiting for the Chicago tix to go on sale, anybody know when?
When did we all let you down?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1379 on: November 01, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
I'd bet the farm they play Spinning. Soul Sacrifice wouldn't surprise me, either; it'd make a good encore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jimthescrivener

« Reply #1380 on: November 01, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
Definitely looking forward to this. A Transatlantic release seems even more special now with Portnoy no longer being a part of dream theater - also, partly because I have not been the biggest fan of his other musical projects since his departure. (Although Flying Colors had its moments) It will be nice to hear Portnoy grooving to some good prog music again.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1381 on: November 01, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Our tickets already showed up.  Hope I remember where I put them in four months.

I put all my tickets for concerts and hockey games in the same spot. When it comes time for a show or concert I go to that spot and retrieve the ones I need.

We do that too, Except the last time I was in there I couldn't find my lucky earplugs (sometimes I forget to put them back) and tore the drawer apart looking for them and I haven't fixed it yet.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1382 on: November 02, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
I am seriously considering getting a VIP meet and greet for the Chicago show.  After spending hundreds on one for DT and then feeling rushed and ripped off (systematic chaos tour, Detroit), an additional $50 seems worth it to meet Neal and Mike.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1383 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
No turning back now.  I just purchased the meet and greet package for Chicago.  Now I just have to buy a concert ticket when they go on sale.  I can't imagine how awesome this will be.  When I last saw TA (on Whirld tour),  I was brought to tears when Neal came on stage and started singing.  I only met Mike once (see above post).  I was star struck so I didn't know what to say.  I only said that I was a huge Transatlantic fan, and his response was along the lines of "so am I."  (this was in that time period where it seemed unlikely they'd ever do another album).  I was dumb and didn't bring anything along to have signed.  It will be different this time for sure.  Definitely going to take a picture with Neal, and with Mike.  So freakin' excited!!!

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1384 on: November 02, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Ah, seems MP has that kind of behavior when people turn up to M&G without anything to sign.....  ::)

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1385 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
Not sure what you mean there.  Mike was genuinely cool.  The meet and greet started really late and we were all rushed through, that's all.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1386 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:51 AM »
Reaaaally thinking of buying a M&G ticket.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1387 on: November 03, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
i would buy a m&g for philly, but since its after the show there wouldn't be time for me to catch a train back to the city  :-[
next time perhaps

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1388 on: November 03, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
Ah, seems MP has that kind of behavior when people turn up to M&G without anything to sign.....  ::)

I can totally see how what I said could get this response.  It's not that he was all "blah" and that's all he said.  But what I wrote I can totally see that it could have sounded like I was saying that.

I was just saying that all I could come up with was saying I loved Transatlantic, and he agreed.

Soooo looking forward to this!!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1389 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
I am seriously considering getting a VIP meet and greet for the Chicago show.  After spending hundreds on one for DT and then feeling rushed and ripped off (systematic chaos tour, Detroit), an additional $50 seems worth it to meet Neal and Mike.

Don't overlook talking with Pete.  The guy is a riot and loves to chat with the fans.  Roine and Daniel are much more reserved adn difficult to get talking.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1390 on: November 04, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

Don't overlook talking with Pete.  The guy is a riot and loves to chat with the fans.  Roine and Daniel are much more reserved adn difficult to get talking.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to do so!  I should probably check out some Marillion so I can have something to talk about.  I've honestly never heard a single Marillion song.  Not sure why...

I'm REALLY looking forward to meeting Neal.  From the first time I heard the Testimony album, he has been my favorite musician since.  And I've never met him.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #1391 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »

I second this.  All of the Above is a great introduction to the band.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1392 on: November 06, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
Tickets for Chicago on sale!!!

https://www.oshows.com/ (the link's not perfect but at least brings you to the right site, just click on "upcoming shows")

I went for the closest aisle seat in the cheapest section (which is still a good seat at row 16 if I remember correctly).  $43 after small convenience fee.  Not bad to see these wonderful musicians!!!!  So stinking excited.

BTW I checked out Marillion.  Good stuff,  probably an acquired taste (to really get into it I'd probably have to invest quite a bit of listening time to absorb it).  The song "sounds that can't be heard" (going by memory, I may have mistaken the title) is really cool!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1393 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
Man, I wish that Chicago show was on the weekend; we'd be there without hesitation.  We are mulling it for now, but it could be tough, it being in the middle of the week and all, and making the trek up from St. Louis would require dedicating a Tuesday and Wednesday to it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
SINGLE CD VERSION

3 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DIGI-PACK - This version comes in a lovely digi-pack and includes the main disc, bonus disc, "Making Of" DVD and deluxe artwork.

LIMITED EDITION ART BOOK - This version is in a spectacular full color large book with 36 pages and crazy amazing cover texturing. You have to see it to believe it! Includes the main disc, bonus disc, "Making Of" DVD, deluxe artwork and a 5.1 mix of the main audio disc created by Rich Mouser.

3 LP - 2 CD VERSION - 3 LPs in a deluxe package that will blow your already blown mind! Green vinyl to match the artwork. Totally cool! 3 LPs contain all the music on the main disc and bonus disc. Comes with the main disc CD and bonus disc CD as well.

SONGBOOK - For the first time ever! A complete music book of the entire album. Includes everything you need to be able to play this incredible album either solo or with a whole band. All melodies and themes (vocal and instrumental), riffs, lyrics, and chords. A dream come true for the musician in the house and a great collector's item!

BUNDLES! - We have bundled all the deluxe versions with the songbook at a special price!

Aww yis.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1395 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
Came to post about this... well, looks like they went the Art Book direction again. SO MANY bands are doing this now, it's getting EXPENSIVE to be a fan of them all! But...it's TA, and I can't help it. I love this band so much, I'll shell out the money for them. I mean, it's going to be around $80-100 I am sure, but it'll be worth it from the sound of it.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: November 22, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »
I think this is the first time they've offered Vinyl for their albums in the US too.. I'm doubly screwed.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1397 on: November 22, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
I think this is the first time they've offered Vinyl for their albums in the US too.. I'm doubly screwed.

I wonder if the 3LP Green Vinyl set will match the same style as the releases of their first three albums in 3LP Vinyl format? I've been wanting to get them for awhile now, but they're pretty rare (the colored vinyls that is) and I've not had the income to set aside for them. I might bite and get the vinyl this time, in addition to the Book set as well (leaving me with 2 sets of the album/bonus disc). Who knows...depends on the costs.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: November 22, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »

I wonder if the 3LP Green Vinyl set will match the same style as the releases of their first three albums in 3LP Vinyl format? I've been wanting to get them for awhile now, but they're pretty rare (the colored vinyls that is) and I've not had the income to set aside for them. I might bite and get the vinyl this time, in addition to the Book set as well (leaving me with 2 sets of the album/bonus disc). Who knows...depends on the costs.

-Marc.

Marc,
  I've never seen ANY of them. Were they even sold state side?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1399 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »

-Marc.

Marc,
  I've never seen ANY of them. Were they even sold state side?

In stores? Doubtful. If they were, it was likely only the black vinyl sets. The colored ones had a small, limited production run. They were sold online, I think, on a site called Nuclear Blast, but they haven't had them in quite some time. I'm pretty sure the only way they were sold to people in the US was from online stores, and I think even Radiant had them for a short time.

-Marc.