Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 532789 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Transatlantic: #4 in 2014
« Reply #1225 on: July 29, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
First off, although you really can't go wrong with any of them, The Whirlwind sonically sounds the most current.  For that reason, that would be my recommednation. 

Well, to be honest, sonic quality usually isn't much of a factor for me.  Even if an album is downright horrible sonically, I can usually get past that and enjoy the music (assuming I like the music, of course).  So, while I really appreciate that you pointed this out, I'm curious: taking sonic quality out of the equation, would you still recommend The Whirlwind first?

Second, and I'm sure you know this already, but just in case:  Transatlantic is a prog rock group.  There is no metal, so hopefully, you aren't expecting any.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.  I was already aware, but it was nice of you to think to warn me.   :tup

And thanks again for the tips, everybody.  Much appreciated. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1226 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
Bridge Across Forever is the only Transatlantic album that I enjoy, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but that's what I'd recommend to you.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1227 on: July 29, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
First off, although you really can't go wrong with any of them, The Whirlwind sonically sounds the most current.  For that reason, that would be my recommednation. 

Well, to be honest, sonic quality usually isn't much of a factor for me.  Even if an album is downright horrible sonically, I can usually get past that and enjoy the music (assuming I like the music, of course).  So, while I really appreciate that you pointed this out, I'm curious: taking sonic quality out of the equation, would you still recommend The Whirlwind first?

Yes.  And just for clarification, when I say "sonic quality," I'm not just talking about production, but more about how current the music sounds. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1228 on: July 29, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
Bridge Across Forever is the only Transatlantic album that I enjoy, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but that's what I'd recommend to you.

:( but.... The Whirlwind.....

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1229 on: July 29, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
The Wind Blew Them All Away is amazing, the rest ranges from meh to boring as fuck.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1230 on: July 29, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
A Man Can Feel/Out of the Night/Rose Covered Glasses is nearly 19 minutes of the best music Transatlantic has ever done.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: July 29, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »

Yes.  And just for clarification, when I say "sonic quality," I'm not just talking about production, but more about how current the music sounds.

Fair enough.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1232 on: July 29, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
A Man Can Feel/Out of the Night/Rose Covered Glasses is nearly 19 minutes of the best music Transatlantic has ever done.

That truly is an amazing section of The Whirlwind.  But to me, if I had to pick the best 3-movement section of the song, I would hands-down go with Rose Colored Glasses/Evermore/Set Us Free.  That, to me, is in the running for 17 minutes of the best music anybody has ever done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1233 on: July 29, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
The Whirlwind used to be one of my favorite albums of all time, but recently I've found a lot of it to be really boring and tiring. Bridge Across Forever is good, but I think my favorite is currently SMPT:e. I love the Procol Harum cover, but it could be a turn-off for some people. All of the Above is a fantastic epic, and We All Need Some Light is one of my favorite ballads. So if you don't mind a 17 minute cover, then I'd start from the beginning and work your way through the three albums.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1234 on: July 29, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

That truly is an amazing section of The Whirlwind.  But to me, if I had to pick the best 3-movement section of the song, I would hands-down go with Rose Colored Glasses/Evermore/Set Us Free.  That, to me, is in the running for 17 minutes of the best music anybody has ever done.

Really?  No love for Dancing With Eternal Glory?  As incredible as some of the other sections are, Is it Really Happening and Dancing blow the others out of The Water for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1235 on: July 29, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

Yep, that is awesome, too.  Really, tracks 2-8, 11 and 12 are all absolutely stunning.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1236 on: July 29, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
Also, Pete's bass tone is fantastic.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1237 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
Evermore is way up there among my favorite TA songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1238 on: July 29, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

His and Roines combine beautifully I think.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: July 29, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

Yeah, The Whirlwind has one of the best bass tones I've ever heard.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: July 29, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
I can't believe it took me this long to listen to The Whirlwind.  My habit of buying media and shelving it sucks. lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1241 on: July 29, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »

Really?  No love for Dancing With Eternal Glory?  As incredible as some of the other sections are, Is it Really Happening and Dancing blow the others out of The Water for me.

Oh, plenty of love.  I just happen to think some of the other sections are even stronger, that's all.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1242 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »
Pretty awesome cover of Bridge Across Forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysx-_GpPBJ8
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1243 on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
Finished all vocals on TA4 yesterday! Sang 2 covers and a short heartfelt track.  Running ruffs this am then on to a new writing project!

A recent tweet from Neal Morse himself! Looks like progress is going well with TA4 and that we are getting at least 2 covers for the new album! Sweet!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1244 on: August 15, 2013, 08:51:50 AM »
Finished all vocals on TA4 yesterday! Sang 2 covers and a short heartfelt track.  Running ruffs this am then on to a new writing project!

A recent tweet from Neal Morse himself! Looks like progress is going well with TA4 and that we are getting at least 2 covers for the new album! Sweet!

-Marc.

You know the cool thing I just realized?  They'll more than likely be playing this material on the ProgNation cruise!!!  :happydance:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: September 01, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
I was reading Wikipedia earlier and I don't ever recall reading this before (I probably did but forgot). Jim Matheos was to do the guitar work when they formed, but couldn't so they got Roine Stolt.

I gotta say, I love Matheos but I can't help but wonder if without Roine's playing if I'd love the albums near as much as I presently do.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1246 on: September 01, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm not a huge Stolt fan, in fact I probably prefer Matheos. But Stolt fits the group perfectly, having Matheos just doesn't seem right.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: September 01, 2013, 07:14:02 PM »
I'm not a huge Stolt fan, in fact I probably prefer Matheos. But Stolt fits the group perfectly, having Matheos just doesn't seem right.

Well it doesn't seem right _NOW_.  I'm trying to imagine what The Whirlwind would have been with Matheos. If they would have even gotten 3 albums out.

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
« Reply #1248 on: September 01, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
It's funny, because even though I love Dimebag, I couldn't see the LTE albums being anywhere as good without Petrucci's being there. Just can't imagine Dimebag playing or helping to create a song like Universal Mind. Same with Matheos and TA imo!
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1249 on: September 01, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
I've always wondered, even wished at many times, Jim has been involved. But then OSI likely wouldn't have happened. But then again, I've always wondered what OSI would have been like had Daniel Gildenlow been involved like he was supposed to be initially (and John Arch at 1 point as well).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
I've always wondered, even wished at many times, Jim has been involved. But then OSI likely wouldn't have happened. But then again, I've always wondered what OSI would have been like had Daniel Gildenlow been involved like he was supposed to be initially (and John Arch at 1 point as well).

I've never heard that Arch and Glidenlow were to be part of OSI. That's interesting. I mean Arch makes sense though.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1251 on: September 01, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

Well it doesn't seem right _NOW_.  I'm trying to imagine what The Whirlwind would have been with Matheos. If they would have even gotten 3 albums out.
I dunno, Matheos is more of a Metal player. I know Portnoy is pretty Metal too, but he has a pretty big classic Prog side too. Honestly I couldn't think of a better fit for TA than Stolt. I imagine it would be a completely different band with Matheos.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: September 02, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I thought I'd check back in and update everybody who gave me reccomendations. 

My birthday was a couple weeks ago, and since nobody had any idea what to get me, I got cash and a couple gift cards.  One of the gift cards was for a record store, where I managed to find both Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind.  No sign of SMPT:e, but I bought what they had.  And after listening to both albums a few times, I'm definitely loving this band.  Stranger In Your Soul in particular is out of this world incredible.  I'm not quite as fond of Suite Charlotte Pike or BAF (the song) so far, but Duel With the Devil is great, and The Whirlwind is mostly excellent, although I did feel like it dragged a bit in a few places.  Overall, though, I'm thoroughly pleased.   

So, yeah.  Thanks for the recommendations, peoples. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1253 on: September 02, 2013, 01:47:56 AM »
 :tup

BTW, it's now more than obvious that they'll cover Close To The Edge on PN14, and most likely on the bonus disc of the new album. (Collaborating with Jon Anderson, so there must be a Yes cover somewhere, plus MP asked Pete to be a part of TA because he heard him play the Close To The Edge bass theme, if I remember correctly)

And yes, I'd love to hear that.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1254 on: September 02, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
Ah that would be so cool! Love all of their covers, almost looking forward to those as much as I'm looking forward to TA4.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1255 on: September 02, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
would much prefer to hear them do a cover of heart of the sunrise.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1256 on: September 02, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
Eh, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really care about covers.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1257 on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Eh, I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really care about covers.
You aren't, I couldn't care less about them either.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1258 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
I would love to see a cover of Nine Feet Underground, Starless or Lady Fantasy.

EDIT: Although i know it's not gonna happen  :-\
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1259 on: September 03, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »
I would love to see a cover of Nine Feet Underground, Starless or Lady Fantasy.

EDIT: Although i know it's not gonna happen  :-\

Neal and Mike (along with Randy George) covered "Starless" and I believe Bill Bruford gave Mike props for his drumming on the cover! It's a great rendition, too, so I doubt Mike and Neal would do "Starless" with TA. Mike has also already done HOTS with Dream Theater, so if he's going to be picky about covers, I'm sure he'd pick CTTE since, as far as I know, he's never played it with any major band before.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!