Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 221934 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3710 on: May 13, 2024, 03:56:59 PM »
Yep….and I’m digging the first two episodes of Dark Matter.

Yes, I am also enjoying Dark Matter but just really surprised that after just watching Constellation along comes another show soon after using the same quantum physics multiverse concept.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3711 on: May 13, 2024, 04:06:27 PM »
Yes, I am also enjoying Dark Matter but just really surprised that after just watching Constellation along comes another show soon after using the same quantum physics multiverse concept.

It’s all the rage right now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3712 on: May 13, 2024, 04:10:55 PM »
I never did buy into most of those shows that were star vehicles for actors that hit it big in other sitcoms.  Didn't watch Spin City, didn't watch Frazier... I'm sure there are others.

Buy into?  And did Kelsey Grammar really "hit it big" in Cheers?  Depending on the season, he was a lesser piece in an ensemble cast.  <shrug>

Bill, those 2 shows were excellent. Seriously. 

Frasier is a must watch for anyone who enjoys sitcoms.  I wouldn't put Spin City on the same level (based on what I've seen so far), but it's not bad (and, like I mentioned, Connie Britton!).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3713 on: Today at 07:07:59 AM »
I'm not at all suggesting that I am reasonable in that position or that it's fact-based or anything like that. It's all perception.  I generally don't come to sit-coms until later, often when they move into syndication.   King of Queens; I LOVE that show and didn't see even one episode during it's first run.  I think Seinfeld is the last sitcom I watched in "real time" until the current series "Ghosts".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3714 on: Today at 10:03:50 AM »
I think Seinfeld is the last sitcom I watched in "real time" until the current series "Ghosts".

Once Friends ended, I was knee deep in kids and selling my soul to the practice of law.  I picked up How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory around the same time (TBBT when it started, and HIMYM a few years into its run).  I watched those to their conclusions.  I watched the pilot of Young Sheldon and thought it sucked, but I gave the show another chance a few years ago and have stayed with it through the end (which will be this Thursday).  Along the way, I picked up Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, Modern Family, and, most recently, Ghosts (although I didn't think much of the recently concluded season).  B99, TGP and Modern Family had all completed their runs when I started watching.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3715 on: Today at 10:23:43 AM »
Once Friends ended, I was knee deep in kids and selling my soul to the practice of law.  I picked up How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory around the same time (TBBT when it started, and HIMYM a few years into its run).  I watched those to their conclusions.  I watched the pilot of Young Sheldon and thought it sucked, but I gave the show another chance a few years ago and have stayed with it through the end (which will be this Thursday).  Along the way, I picked up Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, Modern Family, and, most recently, Ghosts (although I didn't think much of the recently concluded season).  B99, TGP and Modern Family had all completed their runs when I started watching.

I liked the early Big Bang Theory, but it's on every night after the local news and I am beholden to the local weatherwoman, so I'm always watching that.   I saw the steady and continual decline of that show years before the end.  I am fully convinced that no sitcom should go more than four years.  Seinfeld the obvious exception).  EVERY sitcom, even the great ones, ALWAYS soften their characters to a point they are generic and uninspiring to me.  M*A*S*H is another; it was brash, sarcastic and satiric in the early years, and especially with BJ, it became "heart-warming".  Blech.   I am in the Larry David camp; I don't want "growth", I don't want "lessons". No learning. I'm not interested in the actors "bringing themselves" to the roles.   Sheldon in Year One was glorious. He was an obnoxious douche in the end.  Trapper, Blake, Frank Burns and the early Klinger were awesome.   Potter, Winchester, the later Klinger and especially BJ were nausea-inducing.   I have a standing objection to children in sitcoms, so I boycotted Young Sheldon from day one, and when it replaced TBBT after the news I inadvertently watched a couple episodes and bolstered my commitment to boycotting children actors.  That kid - granted it was the character too - was annoying beyond belief, and there was nothing funny about it to me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3716 on: Today at 12:41:07 PM »
Not a whole lot of comedy on that I like anymore.

But Resident Alien is pretty awesome.  I also liked Mrs. Davis, but I need to finish it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: Today at 12:50:51 PM »
Finished Baby Reindeer.  While sad and disturbing, it was an emotional rollercoaster show and quite good at it.  I knew it was based on a true story, I did not realize until watching last night that the main actor not only wrote the story, but is the guy it's based on... and considering the story... I'm kind of shocked this guy was able to pull this off.  I feel like this would be incredible difficult to act out.  I'd be shocked if this guy doesn't win some sort of award for this because he was really good as himself in such a disturbing story.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3718 on: Today at 01:05:50 PM »
But Resident Alien is pretty awesome.

I'm two episodes in to S3 of this one. REALLY like it.....so many great quips and one liners.....characters are hilarious as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #3719 on: Today at 01:10:22 PM »
I'm two episodes in to S3 of this one. REALLY like it.....so many great quips and one liners.....characters are hilarious as well.

I'm really loving the show, re-watching with the wife and we're both having a blast, jokes are so much funnier on 2nd viewing. Hope season 4 gets picked up somewhere soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan