Author Topic: RIP Jeff Beck  (Read 2699 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: RIP Jeff Beck
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 03:48:32 PM »
Whoa.  That's a major loss this early in the year.  One of the few guys who helped revolutionize multiple styles, and kept adding to his bag of tricks in later decades while others stagnated. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »
Damn.  Massive loss. While not my favorite guitarist, I'd be hard pressed to find a rock guitar player who was better than him.

R.I.P.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 04:36:12 PM »
wow.

Bacterial Meningitis which he just caught?

he was a legend. From The Yardbirds to the JBG to collaborations with Jan Hammer. Fuck, this 1 stings.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »
Jeff Beck was a musical treasure!

WOW!  :(

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 05:00:25 PM »
Just saw the news, awful  :(
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:02:07 PM »
I know who Jeff Beck is, but admittedly don't really know much of his music. Still sad to lose someone like him.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 05:52:17 PM »
RIP to a legend! :hefdaddy

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 08:13:08 PM »
Legendary player. Sad that he's gone :(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 08:30:47 PM »
Dang. I knew I should've went to see him when I had the chance.

Jamming some Jeff Beck here at work.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
I didn't love all of his work but he had a great and distinctive way of playing. Guitar Shop is one of the best instrumental records I own. Surely a loss to the music world.

RIP Jeff.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »
Never a fan but definitely respect him and his talent.  Shocking news.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 12:16:25 AM »
I know who Jeff Beck is, but admittedly don't really know much of his music. Still sad to lose someone like him.

Same here. I know he was a brilliant and highly regarded guitarist but I can't name a single one of his songs. Definitely a big influence on lots of guitarists. RIP Jeff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 04:22:12 AM »
'Wired' and 'Blow By Blow' were the two LPs of his I bought in the 70s. 

Benny Goodman, Miles Davis, Al DeMiola, Stanley Clarke, Steve Howe, John Petrucci, and Jordan Rudess are my only other instrumental purchases by the
original artists.

As with most of the great musicians, one can do a 'Six Degrees of Jeff Beck' and pretty much guarantee success.

RIP
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 07:14:34 AM »
Legend.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 07:25:41 AM »

I get that music is all taste, but you had a group of guys coming up and out at the same time back in the 60's; you had Page and Blackmore coming up through the studio system (both were very much in demand session players, along with Big Jim Sullivan, a mentor of Page's).  And you had Clapton and Beck coming up through the local blues club scene (though Page did some time there, too). 

Beck was too iconoclastic for his own good.   He followed Clapton into the Yardbirds, and brought them into the psychedelic 60's (most of the Yardbirds hits had Beck on guitar, even though he was only in the band for a year and a half) but quit in a rage.   Page took over and turned it into Zeppelin, more or less.  Beck then formed his own group - The Jeff Beck Group - with Rod Stewart, and tried to make that his version of Zeppelin - even doing their own version of "You Shook Me".   Famously, Beck played that for Page, PROUDLY, and then Page played the Zeppelin version and Beck stormed off in another rage (though Page always denied ever hearing Beck's version before cutting the Zeppelin version; it's very difficult to accept Page's account, because John Paul Jones actually played on both versions, and several people attest that Page was given an advance copy of Truth and accompanied Beck on their first tour of the US).  :)

He later abandoned rock altogether to get into jazz ("Blow By Blow" is a MONUMENTAL album) and further after that, largely stayed clear of any organized band arrangements, just putting out solo records with his collaborators of the moment - Tony Hymas, Jan Hammer, and Max Middleton. 

I think the first Jeff Beck Group album - "Truth" - and the first jazz album - "Blow By Blow" - are essential listening.   The number of people that claim Beck as a primary influence is stunning.  "Truth" is Tom Scholz's favorite album; Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick is an unabashed Beck acolyte, and Gene Simmons has long said that "Truth" is one of the greatest albums ever produced.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 09:41:03 AM »
Legend.

RIP

Bingo...   LEGEND

Im simply gutted by this loss... he was my fav he was the total package
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »
:(

And thanks, Stadler, for that post of yours. Cool stuff to read.
He was on my list to check out still. I’m a little bit ashamed to admit that I heard ‘Blow by Blow’ for the first time ever today. This stuff is awesome, why have I never heard this before?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 12:14:21 PM »
I’m a little bit ashamed to admit that I heard ‘Blow by Blow’ for the first time ever today. This stuff is awesome, why have I never heard this before?
Don't stop there.  Go on to Wired.  Fusiony goodness.  Then go to There & Back, and Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop is just 10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 12:15:27 PM »
Only had time for one on the commute, the rest is queued for tomorrow!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2023, 12:17:19 PM »
Great post, Stads.

I've heard about him in guitar mags and whatnot but never actually listened to any of his music until today. Played Rough And Ready and Wired. Will definitely be going back for more.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2023, 12:48:13 PM »
Jeff also played some guest spots, among them the lead guitar on Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze Of Glory. Say what you will about that song, but that solo is top notch.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2023, 12:58:49 PM »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2023, 01:08:00 PM »

I get that music is all taste, but you had a group of guys coming up and out at the same time back in the 60's; you had Page and Blackmore coming up through the studio system (both were very much in demand session players, along with Big Jim Sullivan, a mentor of Page's).  And you had Clapton and Beck coming up through the local blues club scene (though Page did some time there, too). 

Beck was too iconoclastic for his own good.   He followed Clapton into the Yardbirds, and brought them into the psychedelic 60's (most of the Yardbirds hits had Beck on guitar, even though he was only in the band for a year and a half) but quit in a rage.   Page took over and turned it into Zeppelin, more or less.  Beck then formed his own group - The Jeff Beck Group - with Rod Stewart, and tried to make that his version of Zeppelin - even doing their own version of "You Shook Me".   Famously, Beck played that for Page, PROUDLY, and then Page played the Zeppelin version and Beck stormed off in another rage (though Page always denied ever hearing Beck's version before cutting the Zeppelin version; it's very difficult to accept Page's account, because John Paul Jones actually played on both versions, and several people attest that Page was given an advance copy of Truth and accompanied Beck on their first tour of the US).  :)

He later abandoned rock altogether to get into jazz ("Blow By Blow" is a MONUMENTAL album) and further after that, largely stayed clear of any organized band arrangements, just putting out solo records with his collaborators of the moment - Tony Hymas, Jan Hammer, and Max Middleton. 

I think the first Jeff Beck Group album - "Truth" - and the first jazz album - "Blow By Blow" - are essential listening.   The number of people that claim Beck as a primary influence is stunning.  "Truth" is Tom Scholz's favorite album; Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick is an unabashed Beck acolyte, and Gene Simmons has long said that "Truth" is one of the greatest albums ever produced.

nice post Stad   

Online HOF

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2023, 01:43:22 PM »
Jeff also played some guest spots, among them the lead guitar on Jon Bon Jovi's Blaze Of Glory. Say what you will about that song, but that solo is top notch.

I never knew he played on that song!

The one thing I was familiar with was his rendition of People Get Ready with Rod Stewart. I always liked that a lot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 01:57:42 PM »
He's on two songs from Ozzy's new album, too.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 01:59:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/hHHY3eRUMsM

Probably my favorite Beck moment.   He recreates the orchestra amazingly.  At the end the camera pans over to Page in the audience beaming like a maniac. 

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2023, 02:19:17 PM »
This is simply beautiful: Were Where You

https://youtu.be/Me_H_B6Blrs

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2023, 03:31:06 PM »
This is simply beautiful: Were Where You
https://youtu.be/Me_H_B6Blrs

ABSOLUTE CLASSIC & extremely beautiful. If you're a QUEEN fan, listen to this and then listen to BIJOU! Both are timeless!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2023, 06:29:28 PM »
For me, Blow by Blow and Wired were Beck at his peak, but I think Who Else! and You Had It Coming were pretty amazing as well.  If you want to rock, crank up those two and let 'em rip.  :metal :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2023, 09:38:58 AM »
I always loved the version of Amazing Grace he did for the Merry Axemas album.  Just Beck on slide, backed by the London Philharmonic Choir.  Not singing the lyrics, just vocalizing.  So gorgeous.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »
There's been a huge Jeff Beck flood on Dime over the last couple of days.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
MP called out the Ronnie Scott live record in his tribute as being a master class. I see he had Vinnie Colaiuta on drums so that really got my attention. I'm going to have to check that out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2023, 12:21:17 PM »
It was yes. They obliterated *everyone* that day. This is the best Beck show ever (that had been documented). One of Vinnie's greatest documented performances too (says a Vinnie diehard)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"