Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 152292 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Kamelot
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
Shit. That's a nice looking film. I may be getting this one but haven't followed Kamelot since Khan left.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: June 03, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
Wasn't a big fan of the latest album (didn't even buy it in the end), I think I may skip this one as well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1122 on: June 03, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
I've been wanting a new live DVD forever (hah) but am a little sad this is so light on Khan era stuff.

The visuals look great, but the audio seems WAY too similar to the album. For a bit I thought it was just the album with live visuals until there were minor vocal differences. But yea, VERY similar sounding to the albums which I don't like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1123 on: June 03, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »
I've been wanting a new live DVD forever (hah) but am a little sad this is so light on Khan era stuff.

True, but I can't fault the band for favoring the current lineup in a live setting, and if we want to reason like Mike Portnoy, you already have those older songs on the previous DVD.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1124 on: June 03, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »

The visuals look great, but the audio seems WAY too similar to the album. For a bit I thought it was just the album with live visuals until there were minor vocal differences. But yea, VERY similar sounding to the albums which I don't like.

Yeah, I'm in full agreement with this.

Every time I've seen them live over the last 3 album cycles has been a fantastic show with loads of energy, but... it's just not the same with so few classics, imo. And honestly every time they play Song of Jolee I hear more chatter and noise from the audience to the point that it's hard to listen to the band. They could solve that by just playing A Sailorman's Hymn  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: June 03, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
They did not play Song for Jolee here during their Haven tour and I'm sad, it's one of my favourite Tommy-era songs.

Online Adami

« Reply #1126 on: June 03, 2020, 09:59:21 AM »

True, but I can't fault the band for favoring the current lineup in a live setting, and if we want to reason like Mike Portnoy, you already have those older songs on the previous DVD.

Eh, not really. Obviously we have a Khan era DVD, but even that one was so heavily focused on their last 2 albums. A lot of Fourth Legacy and so forth songs were ignored. I just wish they pulled out some more rare songs instead of the same old ones over and over though I obviously get why they do.

Edit: a lot of it is that 1) I don't connect with most of the Tommy stuff. I actually love Tommy and think he's the perfect singer for the band, and I really liked Silverthorn. I can enjoy the rest of it so some degree, but less and less. It's much more fun manfucatured songs than any desire to make something new. and 2) Unlike the MP stuff, they have 1 dvd. I complained when DT announced a new dvd of Scenes cause they not only already did that exact thing, but have a lot of scenes songs on multiple dvds. When a band just has 1 DVD already, the "you've already heard it" is a bit of a harder sell, especially when that live album is 14 years old, you know?

Though I am super happy with the guest musicians this time around.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:08:49 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: June 03, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »
They did not play Song for Jolee here during their Haven tour and I'm sad, it's one of my favourite Tommy-era songs.

You and I are so totally opposite on so many musical things!! That's one of my least favorite Tommy-era songs  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: June 03, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
The setlist is a common complaint for the band IMO, but I don't think it's fair in regards to the DVD.  It only makes sense for the songs on the new DVD with the "new" singer to focus on the music they've made with him in the band.  I would love to see them play more rare songs and to include those in a potential new DVD in the future, but for this release, it's hard for me to argue against the band's set decision.  Also, this show had My Confession and Under Grey Skies which have essentially become "rare" songs even though they are newer.

And I'll +1 on the sound, my first reaction was "is this even live?" until the vocals came in.  Thomas is pretty sloppy live, it wouldn't surprise me if this is heavily touched up.  But I still love it, been wanting to see this for a couple years now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1129 on: June 03, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »
No blu-ray only option for preorder?  Hmmm... guess I'll have to wait and see if they have one after the release.  Agree with much of the comments already. 

I'll still probably buy it though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #1130 on: June 03, 2020, 10:23:54 AM »
Oh I'm buying this day one.

I also feel like my complaints about the sound are becoming more prominent. At least of the ones I've gotten in the last few years, the sound has become so sterile and studio sounding that it defeats the purpose to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: June 03, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
At least it doesn't sound as bad as Sonata Arctica's Live in Finland. Holy crap, that is bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »
No blu-ray only option for preorder? 

I thought I saw it but you have to buy the CD/DVD/Bluray combo which I absolutely hate.  I don't mind the CD and whatever video format you like, but I hate when they bundle the DVD and bluray together and jack the price a bit.  Why would I need both? DVD is very much obsolete in my mind.  I'm holding off on preordering anything, maybe the blu-ray only option pops up later.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1133 on: June 03, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
I wish they released the stuff they recorded on the Silverthorn tour, that one had much better setlists.

At least it doesn't sound as bad as Sonata Arctica's Live in Finland. Holy crap, that is bad.
I keep droning on like a broken record, but it's the stereo mix on the main show! the 5:1 sounds better, and the bonus show is great. My biggest problem with that DVD isn't the audio, but the video. Watching the main show is like trying to watch Live Scenes all over again  :rollin so this at least looks good. I don't think any band DVD will ever top One Cold Winter's Night though, video or audio.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: June 03, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »
I wish they released the stuff they recorded on the Silverthorn tour, that one had much better setlists.

I keep droning on like a broken record, but it's the stereo mix on the main show! the 5:1 sounds better, and the bonus show is great. My biggest problem with that DVD isn't the audio, but the video. Watching the main show is like trying to watch Live Scenes all over again  :rollin so this at least looks good. I don't think any band DVD will ever top One Cold Winter's Night though, video or audio.

I think they can, if only because if I recall correctly, Khan misses the beat when he comes in on Nights of Arabia. THERE IS A FLAW!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: June 03, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
A flaw, vanquish it at once!!!

I'm really curious at how this is going to go for them tbh. I love Tommy and he's great but these songs don't offer him a lot of space to truly shine, and all of these guests have about 0.75% of the charisma of the previous DVD lineup (please don't kill me, I just don't like them).

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Adami

« Reply #1136 on: June 03, 2020, 10:49:43 AM »
A flaw, vanquish it at once!!!

I'm really curious at how this is going to go for them tbh. I love Tommy and he's great but these songs don't offer him a lot of space to truly shine, and all of these guest have about 0.75% of the charisma of the previous DVD lineup (please don't kill me, I just don't like them).

The guests are great. Shagrath had great presence but I have no idea if I was even hearing him muddled under the tons of backing vocal tracks. The rest were some really cool girls but didn't have any special presence. I say this as someone who also holds that DVD as one of the best of any band. But I think Elize and Alissa are fantastic additions. Hopefully the Once Human girl is too but I haven't a chance to see her in a live setting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: June 03, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
One Cold Winters Night is one of the best concert dvds Ive ever seen.  I dont expect this to top it, I just am looking forward to a show with Tommy professionally done.  It's been a long time due IMO.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: June 03, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »
I just am looking forward to a show with Tommy professionally done.  It's been a long time due IMO.
Yeah, I feel the same way, I'm just talking about the reception.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1139 on: June 07, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
013 was an awesome show, glad to finally see the film emerge! To me the sound is good, yes similar to the album, but it does have that live edge to it. And visually it looks great.

As for their setlist, it is obvious they are focusing on Tommy era songs, but with three albums they have a pretty good selection. The new songs are received well in the concerts and on youtube they are also doing really well, so it makes sense for them to focus on it. I agree these albums have been a bit too similar, but for a concert this selection of songs works really well.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1140 on: June 07, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
I'm with Adami on this one. This live album is way too polished. Maybe I'm spoiled by live albums like Alive in Athens (which may have post production work as well) but it still sounds live. Or Live at Budokan, or Score, or Rock in Rio, which I know had post production work done. Still sounds live. Dream Theater's later live albums, and even Iced Earth don't sound all that great because they silence the crowd, and just polish it too much. It defeats the purpose of a live album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: June 07, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »
I think that sums up Kamelot a lot since Tommy joined. Polished. Way too polished, in almost every way. There is even a Silverthorn poster on my living room wall that is hilariously airbrushed to make the guys almost look like Barbie dolls, Casey in particular. It's bad. I only haven't taken it down because I'm afraid it'll peel the paint off the walls and I'm not ready to deal with that until I move out  :lol

Offline Shredzorz

« Reply #1142 on: June 07, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »
I would argue that Kamelot has also been too polished and sterile sounding, at least since Karma. But they at least used to be able to write killer songs and had a singer with a unique voice. Now it's like every aspect of the band is as generic as the production.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1143 on: June 08, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »
I'm with Adami on this one. This live album is way too polished. Maybe I'm spoiled by live albums like Alive in Athens (which may have post production work as well) but it still sounds live. Or Live at Budokan, or Score, or Rock in Rio, which I know had post production work done. Still sounds live. Dream Theater's later live albums, and even Iced Earth don't sound all that great because they silence the crowd, and just polish it too much. It defeats the purpose of a live album.

With regards to Audiences not being mixed well. I'm certain the band doesn't have a mic dedicated to audience noise, more than likely the audience isn't loud enough to go through the Mics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

« Reply #1144 on: June 08, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »

With regards to Audiences not being mixed well. I'm certain the band doesn't have a mic dedicated to audience noise, more than likely the audience isn't loud enough to go through the Mics.

Audience mics are very common and easy. I really believe the thought process is that the fans want something identical to the album and they want to do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: June 08, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
While I agree, the band sounds too polished, listen to Elize's parts and I don't think she sounds very polished at all

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: June 08, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
This made me look back at the last 3 albums and pick out my favorites.... but sadly in this case my 'favorites' are just the only songs I enjoy:

Vespertine
Amnesiac
Fallen Star
Insomnia
Citizen Zero
My Therapy
Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife) (you know, the song Veil of Elysium and Phantom Divine copied bar for bar)

I think Haven is easily the best of the Tommy era... just wish they had more songs like Citizen Zero and Fallen Star and Insomnia. But Vespertine and Amnesiac are pretty awesome too. Still, I think Poetry and Ghost Opera have almost no songs I consider skippable, so I'm still baffled at how disappointing Silverthorn was.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1147 on: June 08, 2020, 08:15:32 AM »
I think Haven is easily the best of the Tommy era... just wish they had more songs like Citizen Zero and Fallen Star and Insomnia.

Hear, hear. I love a lot that album. But the latest album sounds like "two good songs and a bunch of stuff that wasn't worth of being on Haven".

I should actually go back to it and re-evaluate it, because by now I'm completely over that record and I haven't heard it in months.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #1148 on: June 08, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
I actually consider Silverthorn the best Tommy album and think Haven was pretty dull.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: June 08, 2020, 08:18:12 AM »
I actually consider Silverthorn the best Tommy album and think Haven was pretty dull.

Silverthorn is easily the best with Tommy IMO.  Haven and The Shadow Theory are both very similar. I would say both have good songs and bad songs.  You could make a really solid album between the two, but neither stand out on their own. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »

This is what I think as well. Silverthorn was really good/great, Haven was a significant step down from that.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1151 on: June 08, 2020, 08:23:54 AM »
I don't think there are really any bad songs on any of their last three albums, but some songs are too similar, with that I agree.

Oh I am certain they used audience mics. In the trailer you can hear the crowd singing along clearly, because that is where the producers decided it was apt.

Many (most?) microphones used for performing are very capable of isolating the performers voice from crowds/stage noises. So if producers want an isolated, studioesque sound, that is an option/choice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: June 08, 2020, 08:25:04 AM »
What do people like about Silverthorn (favorite songs, etc.)? Genuinely curious. I don't hear anything quality on there except for Sacrimony. I think the concept really held that one back, and I even have the box edition with the hardback storybook and stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1153 on: June 08, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »

This is what I think as well. Silverthorn was really good/great, Haven was a significant step down from that.

+1
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: June 08, 2020, 08:29:07 AM »
What do people like about Silverthorn (favorite songs, etc.)? Genuinely curious. I don't hear anything quality on there except for Sacrimony. I think the concept really held that one back, and I even have the box edition with the hardback storybook and stuff.

Every song is good on this one IMO, minus the opening/closing tracks Silverthorn is probably my least favorite song and my favorites are My Confession, Veritas, Falling Like the Fahrenheit, and Sacrimony.