Author Topic: Rank James Cameron's Major Films.  (Read 9964 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Rank James Cameron's Major Films.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »

an original story
not too long (as in, it was too damn long)
a film with any suspense as to what was going to happen
a film that created any emotion for the characters. thus, I didn't give a solid fuck if someone died

A blatant, gimmicky, cash grab by James Cameron.

I'm done with this thread.
Chino: almost as bad as dealing with opinions contrary to his as tisboolsheet

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
Avatar was shot in 3D, the first really big budget 3D movie. He poured hundreds of millions of dollars into it and used a story that has been told at least 9001 times before. But, it's a simple enough story that, if you change around some of the minor details (whom the who is, where the where is, etc.), people don't even realize the fact they've seen/heard the story before.

aka

gimmicky cash grab

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
I wasn't especting Avatar to change the world or have a groundbreaking story that shook the core of my being.  I was expecting it to be a flashy as fuck, entertaining sci fi film with cool imagery and over the top effects, which I got.  I was thoroughly entertained by it and felt I got my 30 dollars worth, cause I saw it twice in the theaters.  Feel better now Chino?

It still is below the others in awesomeness though.  The Abyss is one of my all time favorites, and the Terminator is the fucking Terminator for christ's sake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
I wasn't especting Avatar to change the world or have a groundbreaking story that shook the core of my being.  I was expecting it to be a flashy as fuck, entertaining sci fi film with cool imagery and over the top effects, which I got.  I was thoroughly entertained by it and felt I got my 30 dollars worth, cause I saw it twice in the theaters.  Feel better now Chino?

It still is below the others in awesomeness though.  The Abyss is one of my all time favorites, and the Terminator is the fucking Terminator for christ's sake.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
James Cameron is not a shitty director either.

I think you're confusing him with Michael Bay or McG or that German hack who tried to direct Quantum Of Solace.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
James Cameron is not a shitty director either.

I think you're confusing him with Michael Bay or McG or that German hack who tried to direct Quantum Of Solace.

Different strokes. I enjoyed Quantum of Solace. But, with Avatar, you hear about people seeing it 5 or 6 times and you're kind of feeling "oh, then it must be good". That's 50+ dollars to see a fucking 3D movie. If Avatar were shorter, I'd give it a better rating than "raping my mouth with a giant flying cock". However, there is very little action for very long stretches. Tarantino can get away with this (Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs) because the dialogue and characters are interesting. The story I care about. Avatar was preachy from the very beginning of the movie. It was incredible "safe" and Cameron should be ashamed of himself.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »
GOD TIER:
Aliens
Terminator
Terminator 2

MEH TIER:
The Abyss
Piranha II

WHY DID I SPEND MONEY/MY FREE TIME ON THIS TIER?:
Titanic
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »
*ABYSS SPOILERS AHEAD*

To me the movie was severely hurt by the whole alien/other race thing. Like, you have this awesome story about people trapped underwater looking for a nuke, why the fuck do you have to throw in these benevolent underwater aliens who create world peace? It's just stupid.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »
YES. I remember I started a thread about that back when I watched the extended version of it.

I also remember ReaPsTA got really mad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
*ABYSS SPOILERS AHEAD*

To me the movie was severely hurt by the whole alien/other race thing. Like, you have this awesome story about people trapped underwater looking for a nuke, why the fuck do you have to throw in these benevolent underwater aliens who create world peace? It's just stupid.
It's been years since I've seen it, but I think you've got a chicken/egg thing working.  I believe ET was actually the focal point, and the race for the nukes was a vehicle to get to that aspect; not the other way around.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
Titantic
Teminator
Terminator 2
The Abyss
Aliens
True Lies
 :smiley:

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 11:28:30 PM »
Not really a huge fan of the man.  He is a great director from a cinematic/visual perspective, and he sure as hell knows how to entertain, but his writing tends to be cliche and overtly didactic, and his characters often lack any real depth.

Still, being the film buff I am, I'll take a shot at this.....

Avatar - Preachy and shallow emotional manipulation has never been so damn entertaining.  Even with a plot that has been done to death, Cameron at least gave it a new twist and made it interesting, despite still being predictable. 

Terminator - Probably his most original movie.  Cinematography is a bit dated, but it still kicks a lot of ass

True Lies - Always fun to see Arnold in a more comical, but still ass-kicking, role, especially opposite a rather hot JLC

Aliens - Weak compared to it's Ridley Scott directed predecessor, but still a great sci-fi action flick

Terminator 2 - Great follow-up, but it was a tad too commercial for my tastes, and missing much of the darkness and grit of the original

The Abyss - cool concept and some memorable scenes, but not much more

Titanic - If you cut out the cringe inducing love story that makes up half the movie, it's a fantastic piece of cinema

Never saw Piranha II
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:19:32 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
Aliens (One of my favorite movies of all time, insanely rewatchable)
Terminator 2
Terminator
--- gap ---
True Lies
--- gap ---
The Abyss
--- bigger gap ---
Titanic

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2012, 05:57:19 AM »
I love Titanic. I think its a great movie. Don't understand the hate.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
I don't like Titanic, but most of it is probably because it's a 3 hour lovestory, which really isn't my thing.
As for Avatar, it just failed with pretty much everything. Costumes, sound editing, screen writing and so on.  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
Aliens - Weak compared to it's Ridley Scott directed predecessor, but still a great sci-fi action flick

Two different styles of movie. As you mentioned, 'Aliens' is an action movie. 'Alien' was more suspense. I don't think it's fair to compare them. Both were fantastic IMO.

Aliens (One of my favorite movies of all time, insanely rewatchable)
I honestly have watched 'Aliens' well over 300X...easily. There was a point back in the day where me and my buddies would watch it daily...sometimes mulitple times a day. And we weren't even on drugs :lol
I was on a local talk show a little over a year ago where they invite guests in who have particular areas they are 'experts' in. I told them mine was the movie 'Aliens' and that no one could 'stump' me with any questions or trivia about it. I fielded about a dozen questions or so over the 10 minute segment and wasn't stumped once. Stuff like "What was Newts real name....what was the name of the cat found with Ripley.....what was written on Vasquez's gun....things like that.

Pretty pumped about 'Prometheus' coming out this summer. Looks amazing!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
You must be misunderstood.

In all seriousness, the film is just boring. Sure, it was a milestone in visual cinema. But that alone does not justify one scene with boobs and an overall pretty boring film.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Piranha II
Terminator
Terminator 2
Aliens
The Abyss
True Lies
Titanic

It was nice of the OP to go ahead and put them in order for me (except Piranha II, which I haven't seen).

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
I thought Avatar was a good movie. Nothing special, mindblowing, or groundbreaking, but a solid, enjoyable movie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
I honestly have watched 'Aliens' well over 300X...easily. There was a point back in the day where me and my buddies would watch it daily...sometimes mulitple times a day. And we weren't even on drugs :lol
I was on a local talk show a little over a year ago where they invite guests in who have particular areas they are 'experts' in. I told them mine was the movie 'Aliens' and that no one could 'stump' me with any questions or trivia about it. I fielded about a dozen questions or so over the 10 minute segment and wasn't stumped once. Stuff like "What was Newts real name....what was the name of the cat found with Ripley.....what was written on Vasquez's gun....things like that.

So I have to ask:  Do some of the things they did in the subsequent films absolutely drive you insane?  I'm not nearly the fanatic you seem to be, but the later films (A3, A4, AVP, AVPII) drive me up a wall.  They spend so much time creating such deep and consistent lore in the first two films, but then began to take liberties (that, IMO, are inexcusable) in the latter films. 

In A3, we get facehuggers on the Sulaco and the escape pod.  Uh...really?  How exactly is that possible given the events in Aliens?  If you ignore that, it's actually a decent movie.  But that very premise drives me nuts. 

A4:  Inferior to its predecessors, but I guess you can excuse the liberties they too in changing cannon since they are all probably explainable just by the fact that they were genetically engineering xenomorphs, so variations in behavior and biology would be expected I suppose.

AVP:  You know, actually, the downsides of this moving have nothing to do with continuity.  I think they actually did a pretty good job of preserving continuity here.  They appear to have taken some liberties in terms of how fast the xenomorphs mature, which is a bit of an annoyance.  But it wasn't a major flaw.  Or maybe it was, but it was so overshadowed by other silliness that it just feels like it didn't matter.

AVP2(Requiem):  This is where they went off the deep end in changing at least 2 (if not more) fundamental pillars of Alien cannon:  (1) Continuity in terms of xenomorphs being in a populated area, and survivors living to tell the tale, which would make it HIGHLY unlikely that the crew of the Nostromo and the marines on the Sulaco would have had no clue.  Yeah, they tried to invoke the conspiracy/"government cover up" theme to imply that the truth was buried, but that didn't ring true to me at all.  It was just too shallow to allow me to suspend disbelief.  (2) The alien biology in terms of how they reproduce and develop was completely thrown out the window.  This film could have been amazing, and they blew it.

Anyway, yeah, it just makes me mad to see how the franchise was ruined.  I imagine a lot of the more fanatical fans must have been even more annoyed. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

So I have to ask:  Do some of the things they did in the subsequent films absolutely drive you insane?  I'm not nearly the fanatic you seem to be, but the later films (A3, A4, AVP, AVPII) drive me up a wall.  They spend so much time creating such deep and consistent lore in the first two films, but then began to take liberties (that, IMO, are inexcusable) in the latter films. 

Anyway, yeah, it just makes me mad to see how the franchise was ruined.  I imagine a lot of the more fanatical fans must have been even more annoyed.

I tolerated Alien 3, when Ripley ended up on the Prison colony.....up until the BS with Bishop's "designer" showing up to try and save Ripley and the Alien baby. Right about then I realized I hated the movie. I mean, I thought the idea, setting, characters....all were contrived. I just think they 'owed' the character Ripley a better ending...or at least one that wasn't so dark.
   I would have liked to see a completely different third movie. Something along the lines of a return trip to LV426 to further explore the crash landed ship from Alien. That is if it weren't destroyed by the Nuclear Blast of the Colonies atmospheric processor blowing up. I guess along the lines of what Scott is doing with Prometheus.

Alien 4 or whatever with Wynona Ryder was horrid....as were all the subsequent movies you mentioned. Just raping the Alien franchise. I have high hopes for Prometheus....the minute and a half trailer is better than any of the "Alien" movies released since 'Aliens' IMO.
  I consider the first two the only "real" Alien movies in the franchise. The rest were just BS money grabs and a chance for up and coming special effect personel to get practice at creating stuff. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »

In all seriousness, the film is just boring. Sure, it was a milestone in visual cinema. But that alone does not justify one scene with boobs and an overall pretty boring film.
Thanks for the little words on the bottom. Good thing for reading glasses. You think it was boring? Maybe a bit too long, but it wasn't boring, imo.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
I thought Alien Vs Predator was a lot more enjoyable than Alien Resurrection which was just nonsense.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
I thought Avatar was a good movie. Nothing special, mindblowing, or groundbreaking, but a solid, enjoyable movie.

Exactly this. A great entertaining visual feast. nothing more.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »

Visual feast? No thanks. I'd rather watch the Seven Samurai for visuals. They even had bald caps that were obvious. And it's in black and white!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
Never expected so much....anger.....in a movie thread  :|   It's weird

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »

In A3, we get facehuggers on the Sulaco and the escape pod.  Uh...really?  How exactly is that possible given the events in Aliens?  If you ignore that, it's actually a decent movie.  But that very premise drives me nuts. 

A4:  Inferior to its predecessors, but I guess you can excuse the liberties they too in changing cannon since they are all probably explainable just by the fact that they were genetically engineering xenomorphs, so variations in behavior and biology would be expected I suppose.

AVP:  You know, actually, the downsides of this moving have nothing to do with continuity.  I think they actually did a pretty good job of preserving continuity here.  They appear to have taken some liberties in terms of how fast the xenomorphs mature, which is a bit of an annoyance.  But it wasn't a major flaw.  Or maybe it was, but it was so overshadowed by other silliness that it just feels like it didn't matter.

AVP2(Requiem):  This is where they went off the deep end in changing at least 2 (if not more) fundamental pillars of Alien cannon:  (1) Continuity in terms of xenomorphs being in a populated area, and survivors living to tell the tale, which would make it HIGHLY unlikely that the crew of the Nostromo and the marines on the Sulaco would have had no clue.  Yeah, they tried to invoke the conspiracy/"government cover up" theme to imply that the truth was buried, but that didn't ring true to me at all.  It was just too shallow to allow me to suspend disbelief.  (2) The alien biology in terms of how they reproduce and develop was completely thrown out the window.  This film could have been amazing, and they blew it.

I'm a very big Alien Universe fan, and agree with most of your points. A3 and A4 are saved by Sigourney's insanely great acting. The AVP movies I actually enjoy as a guilty pleasure because I'm also a big fan of the first 2 Predator movies, but they have MAJOR flaws that are hard to get past, and foremost of those is the design and behavior of the creatures themselves.

Aliens
Terminator 2
Terminator
True Lies
Titanic
Abyss

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
Never expected so much....anger.....in a movie thread  :|   It's weird

$12 is a lot to see a movie that's absolute shit. (I know you city folk generally pay more, but hey, when a night movie is still like...8.50, 12 is a lot. Plus it was absolute shit)

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »

Thanks for the little words on the bottom. Good thing for reading glasses. You think it was boring? Maybe a bit too long, but it wasn't boring, imo.
Well thank lens flares that we can all have differing opinions, then.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
To be completely honest, I don't really get all the hate for avatar. Was the plot a bit recycled? Yes, I will admit that. However, the visual effects were stunning. The 3d was beautiful. The annimation was superb. Now obviously it takes a lot more than the few aspects above to make a truly great movie, but it was still a perfectly enjoyable film. My favorite James Cameron movie that I have seen. In fact, it is the only James Cameron movie that I have seen...

*runs and hides*
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

Well thank lens flares that we can all have differing opinions, then.

Did somebody call for me?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
'Aliens' is on the SyFy channel right now.....that's random

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »

Visual feast? No thanks. I'd rather watch the Seven Samurai for visuals. They even had bald caps that were obvious. And it's in black and white!

Don't post in a thread about James Cameron then.