Author Topic: 425’s Second Roulette v. Keep your hands upon the wheel  (Read 97148 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Round 4 Hangmanen)
« Reply #980 on: September 25, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
It's an honor to be Ted Lange Issac'd.

Fixed
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #982 on: September 26, 2018, 05:46:35 AM »
Live Round? This is more like the Dead Round!

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: September 26, 2018, 06:08:31 AM »
ZIIIIIINNNGGGG!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 26, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
The light and shade of things
And now I get a five
And although people change
The round is still live

:corn
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #985 on: September 26, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »
too deadhead to be alivehead

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
It's not over, not over, not yet
Sadly, two players sent Deadhead

:corn

reference

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #987 on: September 27, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
i have now run out of popcorn and resorted to consuming the popcorn container for sustenance

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: September 27, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
Bags or buckets?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #989 on: September 27, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
I heard 425 just turned 426.

I personally have aged a full year since the last round!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #990 on: September 27, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
Bags or buckets?

The buckets have to be harder on your digestive system.   :omg:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: September 27, 2018, 10:43:25 AM »
Bags or buckets?

The buckets have to be harder on your digestive system.   :omg:

Eat the bag, save the bucket for later. Lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #992 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »
friggin delicious cardboard

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #993 on: September 27, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
Cardboard? dafuq
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: September 27, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »
Yeah.  Movie bucket of popcorn is cardboard.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
I heard 425 just turned 426.

That's a good one. :lol

425, hopefully all is well on your end.

Offline 425

« Reply #996 on: September 27, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Results coming within a couple of hours. It's been a hard week.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: September 27, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »
HE LIIIIIVES!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: September 27, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
giving us the green light

Offline 425

« Reply #999 on: September 27, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Here are the results. I want to say to everyone, thank you so much for being patient while I have been going though a rough and busy week. In addition to my laptop breaking, there has been a family crisis that has commanded a lot of my attention. This upcoming week, I should be able to focus mo clearly on the roulette.

One good thing about this week, for me, is that you guys sent me a really good batch of songs. The scores are not going to have much spread this time, because even the lowest songs from this round were quite enjoyable. I'm really happy with how everything was.

The downside of that, of course, is that some people submitted good songs this round and are still going to have to be eliminated. It feels weird to me to send someone out on a good song, but I need to continue reducing the numbers so that I can give more attention to each song. I'm just happy that 15 of you were able to participate through half of the roulette.

As you may have noticed, I never posted a third batch of snippets. One of the things that got lost in the craziness. Those songs simply won't have a snippet listed.

Here are the results:

Stadler: The Allman Brothers Band - Nobody Knows

This song feels like an extended live version. It seems like there is a base song with verses and so on, and then a healthy helping of instrumental material on top of that.

I think they definitely make the mesh of the basic material and the soloing/instrumental craziness work pretty well. My preferred part is definitely the instrumental aspect, and it's definitely one of those live performances where the instrumentation just feels so much more exciting than it likely would in the studio.

I really do enjoy this piece all the way through. What keeps me from going higher is that I feel like the base song (the vocal parts, basically) is only good. The meat of the song is what feels like a long, wandering jam session. Which is a lot of fun! But not in itself going to earn the higher scores.

Score: 7.5 out of 10

Kattelox: Toto - Rosanna

Snippet: There's a groove on this one just works so well with all the stuff that comes in on top of it.

The other one this round that has a distinct "extended version" feel. And one that makes it work pretty well.

This one just has a really nice groove that it sticks with and layers with a lot of melodic variations (and solos in the later part). The vocal melodies are just catchy in a very good way, and the solos are skillful and melodic. The crowd interaction also helps here. There's a nice healthy crowd noise on this recording, and you can really feel the crowd's excitement at some of the critical moments.

What keeps me from going higher is that, ultimately, the song is a bit repetitive. That makes me less inclined to come back to it than some of the other ones.

Score: 7.5 out of 10

Sacul: Ulver - Nowhere (Sweet Sixteen)

I didn't know there was such a thing as live Zantera/Sacul music! But here it is, nonetheless.

This is a piece that really goes for a depressing, spacey vibe, especially on the chorus, where ominous, deep vocals (alternating with high, wailing ones) repeat the refrain "Nowhere... catastrophe."

This style of music, I've made no secret, is not my bread and butter. But this is a well-executed piece that I have come to enjoy pretty well. There's enough of a melodic sensibility to keep me hooked, and the vibe is quite compelling.

Score 8 out of 10

Elite: Pain of Salvation - Handful of Nothing

Snippet: I can respect what they’re doing here and can almost feel what they’re reaching for... but like other things I've heard from them, I'm just not quite feeling it yet.

Yeah, so Pain of Salvation is a band that I've heard a few songs from, and my view of all of them is that they are technically pretty good, but I just don't quite feel them.

My assessment here is somewhat more positive. I think it helps that this is a live performance. Gildenlöw's vocal acrobatics are more obviously impressive, given that he's capable of carrying off this diversity in a live setting, and the whole thing is a bit looser and more lively.

The song has a nice diversity of elements, and it's one where all the pieces feel pretty strong. The chorus really anchors it. That plus a strong performance leads to a nice score.

Score: 8 out of 10

OpenYourEyes311: Genesis - Domino

Snippet: I have no doubt that this is a great performance. The song itself is walking right up to the line of sounding a bit too cheesy, though, and I haven't decided quite how I feel about it yet.

This is definitely the most 80s-sounding of all the 80s material I received this round, which did come with a sound that could be decried as cheesy. And I was really on the fence about that for a little while.

But the fact is that this is a fantastic performance. I'm impressed on the video by the size of the stadium they're playing. I knew Genesis attained mainstream success, but I didn't know it was this much. Either way, aurally speaking, this is a really excellent performance. The instrumentals are completely on point, and Phil Collins just hits all the notes seemingly without breaking a sweat.

As for the song itself, the vocals are definitely the highlight, but I really admire the way the music builds intensity by nearly-imperceptible degrees, making each part feel more powerful than the last.

After all that, it may be my least favorite of the three Genesis pieces sent this round. But that's not a hit on it. A great introduction to a band I should have investigated long ago.

Parama and Puppies_On_Acid: Devin Townsend - Deadhead

The song that two people sent comes from an artist who I've kind of admired from afar without checking out too closely aside from a couple of pieces. As Parama noted in his PM, some things that Townsend does do seem to be too far out there for me. This song does not have any of those elements, and instead is just a skillfully done piece of prog metal.

What I most enjoy about this song is the riffs are all of a variety that I call (using cry technical music theory terminology) "mounting." It feels like waves that just keep towing high and higher, and that's cool. It feels a little relentless at times, but that mostly works because it's such an enjoyable style. The riffs are really the center of this one's appeal for me, though it also shares an element of appeal with the Pain of Salvation song: the singer displays a wide diversity of styles in a live setting while making it seem effortless.

TAC: Helloween - How Many Tears

Snippet: This is one where I feel like the live performance might be better than the song, and elevates it above what the studio version would probably be. Those are always cool to hear, though, I'm now thinking, a challenge to score.

First of all, no huge concerns here about thrashiness. Yeah, it's speed metal, and some of the riffs could be more melodic, but it didn't detract significantly for me.

The highlight here for me is, perhaps unsurprisingly, Michael Kiske. He hits all these crazily high and fast vocal melodies and makes it feel really easy.  I really enjoy his performance here. As for the rest of the band, I am nearly as impressed. This performance has the awesome feel that a lot of Maiden live shows have, where you can tell that the band is playing the song pretty close to as fast and as high-energy as human constraints will allow. It creates this feeling like a high-wire act, where it feels like there's no way they can keep nail in the parts, but they somehow just make it each time.

As the snippet indicates, the song itself is somewhat less impressive than the performance, but I've come to rather enjoy it. The transition out of the quiet middle section is a really good moment, and overall the whole thing has a feel of a faster Iron Maiden, which is some whiting I can get on board with, no problem.

One of the most fun ones of the round.

Lethean: Angra - Carolina IV

Snippet: Yeah, this is one of those songs that I enjoy because the band throws in a ton of different elements and makes them all work together.

As the snippet says, I like that this song has a lot of different elements. I was kind of expecting straight-ahead power metal, more or less, and that's not what I got, although there were some (good) power metal elements here. This song instead brings a lot of different stuff, including symphonic elements, some eastern-sounding influences and a very interesting vocal section at the beginning and end that I don't know quite how to describe. Plus a really good guitar solo at the end.

This song immediately intrigued me and made me interested in hearing more from this band. I like music like this that mixes epic-sounding metal with other elements, and I'm interested in hearing more of what they have to offer.

The primary downside for me on this one is that the quality of the recording, while not awful, wasn't the best. It was perceptibly the worst of the round. As a result, I feel like I didn't get as clear a sense of all that's going on musically as I did on some of the others. Still, I enjoyed this one.

And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #1000 on: September 27, 2018, 11:17:05 PM »
ShadowNinja 2.0: Cloud Cult - Love & the First Law of Thermodynamics/Good Friend

Snippet: The singing may not be technically great, but there's a lot of passion in this performance, which I'm really liking.

This is an interesting  band and an interesting performance. I'm a fan of the diversity of instrumentation here, with strings and brass instruments accompanying acoustic guitars and all coming together to create a unified sound. Love & the First Law of Thermodynamics is a lovely instrumental where each of these elements has its room to shine.

The second part, Good Friend, is maybe not quite as good as the first, but it is still a nice song with some lovely melodies, and, as the snippet says, a lot of passion on the part of all the singers. I really enjoy when the passion people put into their music is this obvious. It makes the live experience all the better. And when the music is something unique and lovely like this, the experience is already good.

Score: 8.5 out of 10

kingshmegland: Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

This is really a very enjoyable subtle performance on two levels: both on the part of McLachlan and on the part of her band. By "subtle," I mean that neither of them go for any huge, grandiose moments, but they still both have fantastic moments.

Where the band is concerned, they make "less is more" really work. The music supports the vocal performance exactly where needed, without being showy, except on the guitar solo at the end, which is quite good and caps off a great performance.

McLachlan's vocals are, of course, the centerpiece here, and she delivers are really emotional performance, with a compelling power at times and a lovely frailty in others. The final chorus encapsulates both.

This is a lovely song that I quite enjoyed.

Evermind: Fates Warning - The Light and Shade of Things

Snippet: This feels lively than the other stuff I'm familiar with from this artist (possibly because it's live), and I'm impressed by the quality of the live vocal performance.

This was indeed a bit of a risky choice, given that Fates Warning has not done much for me in the past. But as the snippet says, this time just feels different. Other songs I've heard from them have this very cold and almost sterile feel to them. I don't know if it's the live performance, or something else, but that is not the case here.

This song is a warm, powerful prog metal piece. The quiet early section is a solid build up, but the latter half is the real highlight. Here is where the best riffs and melodies come in. And it's where Ray Alder really shines. This is really good for a live performance. A lot of these parts just sound difficult to do with any sort of power, and he hits almost all of them.

Alright, I'm sold. I have to give Fates Warning another look.

Nekov: Pendragon - The Last Man on Earth

Snippet: This is an early favorite for the round. A really well-structured epic piece that is perceptibly boosted by its live nature.

I'm really impressed by this one. This is a song about death and the afterlife with a ton of emotion behind it. The "Skylights are open to you, friend" chorus is, by itself, a winner. And then it is surrounded by so much good prog that it attains an epic weight. Even as it wanders a little bit in the second half, it never loses the plot or the purpose.

This song just sparkles. The keyboards lend the whole piece a smooth, bright feel. It really works with the singer's voice and the subject matter here. It makes the whole thing feel hopeful even as it talks about the end of a life.

And by the way, this is a live round? How about the crowd singing part of the first chorus? That's how you know it's a special song, when the singer is willing to trust the audience with the FIRST chorus.

Score: 9 out of 10

Indiscipline: Steve Hackett - Firth of Fifth

Snippet: I really get the sense that this one is a carefully, intricately structured composition, which interests me.

As the snippet indicates, this is the one, out of all the Genesis songs, that feels most like a complex but deliberately structured piece of music. And though it does not have the emotional intensity of the In the Cage Medley performance, I like it almost as much, for different reasons.

This really is a piece where each little segment builds in just the right way on the one before it all the way to the conclusion that follows from all the prior parts. And all these little pieces are just lovely. This is such a nice song, above anything else.

The performers on this version, even though, as I understand, only one is actually from the original band that wrote this song, are definitely up to the task. The singer does not have the intense energy of Collins, but has his own calmer power. The other instruments feel warm and melodic, and sound great with a more modern sound (as against the distinctly 80s sound of the other two Genesis songs of the round).

The only thing that keeps this rated slightly below the In the Cage Medley is that the payoff isn't quite as big. But this is still a very enjoyable one.

Score 9 out of 10

romdrums: Genesis - In the Cage Medley/Afterglow

A lot of people really want me to like Genesis, and romdrums decided to try to achieve this by means of a huge slab of prog rock. A medley, I'm told. I can't quite see the seams, which goes to how well-constructed this is.

Like on the other 1980s Genesis track I received, the performance is definitely that of a band on fire. Phil Collins gives a great vocal performance, and here there's a ton of room for great work from the keyboard player, too.

My favorite section of the medley is the opening one, In the Cage. There's a feeling of intense forward momentum and urgency here that I enjoy quite a bit. Plus, it has the most memorable vocal sections from Collins. But here is a lot of great instrumental stuff on the later sections, too, and Afterglow is a pretty good finale.

Side note: I'm not technically counting video elements for a song, but I do think it's awesome that they have a second drum kit up there so that Collins can drum on the instrumental parts in addition to being the frontman. As you said in your PM, the moment he gets behind the kit is indeed an awesome one.

This is big, great piece of music that has convinced me that checking out Genesis needs to be a high priority.

Score: 9.5 out of 10

Standings:
Indiscipline: 35.5
Evermind: 35
romdrums: 33
Elite: 32.5
Kattelox: 32.5
kingshmegland: 32.5
Lethean: 32.5
Parama: 32
Nekov: 31.5
TAC: 31.5
OpenYourEyes311: 30.5
Puppies_On_Acid: 30.5
Sacul: 30.5
ShadowNinja 2.0: 30.5
Stadler: 30

Aefenwelg: 21
lonestar: 20.5
Train of Naught: 19.5

Stadler, unfortunately, you are eliminated at this point. It's been a tough competition, and I actually enjoyed all four of your songs, especially the Queen piece. This is just the way things have shaken out. It was great to have you, and I wish I could carry more participants so you could call my attention to more artists I have probably overlooked.

As for the other eliminations... As Nekov predicted might happen earlier in the thread, there is a four-way tie for the last two elimination spots. So we will resolve this tie with a lightning round. In this lighting round, OpenYourEyes311, Puppies_On_Acid, Sacul and ShadowNinja 2.0 should all send me a song, with the maximum length being 10 minutes. I will listen to all four songs twice each, and the two people whose songs I like best will stay in the roulette another round.

Everyone else is free to go ahead and send... And the four people in the tiebreaker are free to send two songs, one for the tiebreaker and one for the round if they stay in. Just make sure to indicate which is which if you do this.

This round's theme is "mini-epic." It comes with a maximum length of 8 minutes. And the guideline is one that I gave in an earlier post that I can dig up tomorrow if needed. Basically, what I'm looking for is a song that isn't very long, but feels quite epic despite that. This can be either because it covers an epic amount of musical ground in a short time (here I cite Surrounded) or because it just feels very grand.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (Round 4 RESULTS!)
« Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
Goddammit, Indiscipline, send a shitty song for once.

Wanted to send The Cave but turns out it's 8:10. :facepalm:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: September 27, 2018, 11:25:57 PM »
didn't totally suck in the live round woo  :metal

there's as big a gap between 1st and 3rd as there is between 3rd and 11th, god  :lol

i still don't have anything lined up for any rounds in this roulette but i'll try to find me something for this next round

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1003 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:30 PM »
holy shit I'm still alive

Will send soon.

edit: shadow ninja, you have sent.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:54:46 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: September 28, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
can we do hangman for the lightning round? :neverusethis:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1005 on: September 28, 2018, 03:10:29 AM »
Goddammit, Indiscipline, send a shitty song for once.

Wanted to send The Cave but turns out it's 8:10. :facepalm:

"I must break you"

And I totally thought about The Cave too *snickers*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: September 28, 2018, 04:56:39 AM »
Niiiiice!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: September 28, 2018, 05:00:55 AM »
Whew. Wow, didn't expect Rosanna to come in so far down the list, still a decent score though, glad you enjoyed it. Fucking epic handicaps got me this time  :lol

Got a TON of ideas for this next round so I may take a little while to figure out what to send but I'll make sure to send something I think you'll really like. I was limited heavily on the live round, so I'm hoping this time I can bump myself up in the rankings again. king and Lethean and Elite... GTFO my 32.5 spot  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: September 28, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »
I was honestly expecting to get eliminated this round because, to tell you the truth, I don't think the live version really does justice to the album version of the song, so if you liked that one you should definitely check out the original version. This is a nice surprise.
Mini epic then, I'll look for the post to see exactly what you are expecting and will send later today.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 425’s Second Roulette v. The Comeback Kid (R1 Results Now!)
« Reply #1009 on: September 28, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
FYI guys

The mini-epic round has specific guidance of a sort that you might not expect. The mini epic has a maximum length of 8 minutes, and the guidance is that the song has to condense the epic feel into a relatively short runtime. One very good way to achieve this is to throw off the verse-chorus formula and have few or no repeating parts, but this is not a requirement.

As examples: Coheed and Cambria do this well, and I'd particularly note the first three Willing Wells and Gravity's Union. Dream Theater's Surrounded is another good example, and The Bigger Picture would work pretty well for this, too. Basically, you're looking for something that feels big and epic even though it's actually standard length.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1010 on: September 28, 2018, 06:29:19 AM »
Thanks, Nekov!

Sent. Six minutes of unashamed self-indulgent pompous cheese.

That's your chance, Ev.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1011 on: September 28, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
Mini epic of maximum epic-ness sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »
Wow, didn't expect Rosanna to come in so far down the list

I did.  ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »
Sent

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: September 28, 2018, 07:14:40 AM »