Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 444296 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #5635 on: November 22, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5636 on: November 22, 2021, 05:48:05 PM »
I will GREATLY miss Diego in Haken. He is definitely one of my favorite keyboard players currently.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5637 on: November 22, 2021, 06:05:57 PM »
Well, there it is.  :( :(

Will be interesting to see where the band goes from here and how.  My interest had already dropped quite a bit after the last two records, and now this being confirmed has firmly taken them off my auto-buy list, as quickly as they gotten on it.  Oh well, at least I got to see them twice with the core lineup intact and saw a lot of the big dogs played.  Visions one tour, Crystallized the next.  :metal :metal

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5638 on: November 22, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
Well, there it is.  And now is Diego's new work going to be with Devin Townsend as rumored? 

I hope he's smarter than Mike Portnoy and doesn't expect that to be a secure position. :lol

Diego hasn’t sent out his press release, so, there’s that.  ;) :D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5639 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:37 PM »
Yes he did. Check out his Facebook page.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5640 on: November 22, 2021, 07:24:01 PM »
I hope he wasn't mad about my Haken scores.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5641 on: November 22, 2021, 07:38:16 PM »
Yes he did. Check out his Facebook page.

Whoops. :facepalm:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5642 on: November 22, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »
Hey, I'm here for you. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5643 on: November 22, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
I hope he wasn't mad about my Haken scores.

He blamed you directly.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5644 on: November 22, 2021, 07:47:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5645 on: November 22, 2021, 11:53:08 PM »
Oh well, at least I got to see them twice with the core lineup intact and saw a lot of the big dogs played. 
Which core lineup? :lol I assume you mean the latest one. They've had two bassists since they started putting out full releases.

I am noticing that the people who have complained about Diego making minimal contributions to Virus are generally the ones most negative about his departure, which I find odd. But then maybe I've got more of a picture of what Diego is like from being closer to some of the band for a long time.

I couldn't really say anything about what went wrong in the last couple of years, mainly because I only know snippets so couldn't fairly paint a full picture, plus the bits and pieces I do know it wouldn't be appropriate to talk about anyway. It's quite possible there really was an element of creative differences (which I usually see as a euphemism).

But what I do know is that there were some issues for years. Not sure I've ever posted about this before, but now that he's left I kinda don't mind doing so. In particular, at least when it came to the live setting, Diego never pulled his weight. Definitely as far back as Visions, possibly even the Aquarius tour when he'd only just joined, the band were small and didn't have any crew at all so they needed to set everything up themselves. They would all pitch in to do this as a team, apart from Diego who as far as I know (and observed myself once) refused to help out. So regardless of exactly what happened in the last two years, I feel quite strongly that Diego leaving is a good thing for the band.

In terms of his contributions to Haken, I'm thankfully comfortable separating my opinions on those from my opinions on him. I loved his sound design work on Affinity, and I like As Death Embraces a lot too. So I'm glad for those contributions, but nothing else of his really stands out and I've always found his lead playing very bland.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5646 on: November 22, 2021, 11:59:29 PM »
Oh well, at least I got to see them twice with the core lineup intact and saw a lot of the big dogs played. 
Which core lineup? :lol I assume you mean the latest one. They've had two bassists since they started putting out full releases.

I am noticing that the people who have complained about Diego making minimal contributions to Virus are generally the ones most negative about his departure, which I find odd. But then maybe I've got more of a picture of what Diego is like from being closer to some of the band for a long time.

I couldn't really say anything about what went wrong in the last couple of years, mainly because I only know snippets so couldn't fairly paint a full picture, plus the bits and pieces I do know it wouldn't be appropriate to talk about anyway. It's quite possible there really was an element of creative differences (which I usually see as a euphemism).

But what I do know is that there were some issues for years. Not sure I've ever posted about this before, but now that he's left I kinda don't mind doing so. In particular, at least when it came to the live setting, Diego never pulled his weight. Definitely as far back as Visions, possibly even the Aquarius tour when he'd only just joined, the band were small and didn't have any crew at all so they needed to set everything up themselves. They would all pitch in to do this as a team, apart from Diego who as far as I know (and observed myself once) refused to help out. So regardless of exactly what happened in the last two years, I feel quite strongly that Diego leaving is a good thing for the band.

In terms of his contributions to Haken, I'm thankfully comfortable separating my opinions on those from my opinions on him. I loved his sound design work on Affinity, and I like As Death Embraces a lot too. So I'm glad for those contributions, but nothing else of his really stands out and I've always found his lead playing very bland.
I've worked with lots of bands and there's often one guy in the band or crew who may be perfectly nice but for whatever reason isn't interested in helping set up or tear down. He finds ways to stay away and/or act like he's busy, e.g. engaging in conversations with folks nearby. The rest of the band and crew notice, and it gets on their nerves, but in almost all cases I've experienced it, the guy isn't a jerk or whatever, so it's hard to get too mad at him. He just doesn't want to do the setup/teardown. No idea about Diego but just saying that in general it doesn't surprise me when that's the case.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5647 on: November 23, 2021, 12:12:20 AM »

I feel this post. Seriously. I’ve seen “that guy” and I get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5648 on: November 23, 2021, 12:33:04 AM »
@ariich Thanks for sharing your insight in a tactful way.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5649 on: November 23, 2021, 01:21:00 AM »
I've worked with lots of bands and there's often one guy in the band or crew who may be perfectly nice but for whatever reason isn't interested in helping set up or tear down. He finds ways to stay away and/or act like he's busy, e.g. engaging in conversations with folks nearby. The rest of the band and crew notice, and it gets on their nerves, but in almost all cases I've experienced it, the guy isn't a jerk or whatever, so it's hard to get too mad at him. He just doesn't want to do the setup/teardown. No idea about Diego but just saying that in general it doesn't surprise me when that's the case.
Yep that's all completely fair, and I'd not meant to imply that the live issue alone would have been enough to cause a major rift. Indeed, it went back to the early days and he was in the band for over 10 years.

I guess the purpose of sharing my observation (which I should stress is informed but still partial, and should be taken as such) is to explain why him leaving didn't come as a surprise to me. For what actually led to his departure, I don't know and can only speculate. Maybe the issues with effort/contribution got worse or more pervasive, maybe it genuinely was creative differences, maybe something else entirely, quite possibly a combination of factors. But ultimately it always seemed his position in the band might be unsustainable because of how he approached it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5650 on: November 23, 2021, 01:25:34 AM »
"To bring you the music we are passionate about (and we'll have news about that soon)..."

Is it likely just more tour dates, or actual new music being hinted at there?  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5651 on: November 23, 2021, 03:53:37 AM »
I seriously hope that they do carry on with a new keyboard player. Some newer prog metal/djenty bands have shown that it's possible to make heavy and at the same time atmospherical music without a keyboard player, but in Haken, the keys take on a more important role than that.

I loved Diego's input in Haken and am thankful for his contributions. But it feels like this step is the most logical for everyone involved and it doesn't sound like there are too many hard feelings involved.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5652 on: November 23, 2021, 06:55:42 AM »
Well, that was a long time coming. It's good that it's finally out and everyone can move on. I also want to point out that Rich started sharing some inside info about the band and answered some questions, yet he didn't even acknowledge these two posts. I'm taking this a sign.

So when is the announcement that Pete is the new (old) keyboardist?

Finally!
At least this seems a bit more amicable than some were thinking. I wish Diego all the best, though I have to wonder who they will get to replace him in the band? Any ideas, leads, or suggestions?

-Marc.

My bet is someone Rich knows very, very well ;) :lol

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5653 on: November 23, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »
Well, that was a long time coming. It's good that it's finally out and everyone can move on. I also want to point out that Rich started sharing some inside info about the band and answered some questions, yet he didn't even acknowledge these two posts. I'm taking this a sign.

So when is the announcement that Pete is the new (old) keyboardist?

Finally!
At least this seems a bit more amicable than some were thinking. I wish Diego all the best, though I have to wonder who they will get to replace him in the band? Any ideas, leads, or suggestions?

-Marc.

My bet is someone Rich knows very, very well ;) :lol

Well, I'd be VERY surprised if Pete doesn't end up returning to the band (unless he's unable to, but not because they didn't want him back).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5654 on: November 23, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
As both a Haken fan and a Dua Lipa fan (I'm being serious)

Future Nostalgia is one of my favourite ever albums.  It's pop music at its very best (I'm being serious).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kram

« Reply #5655 on: November 23, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
It kinda sounds like he might have been asked to leave, versus "quitting" the band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5656 on: November 23, 2021, 06:31:06 PM »

I can't think of the name of either bassist to be honest, so yeah I will go with the lineup that was intact the last few years as the core lineup. That is my story. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5657 on: November 23, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »
 :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5658 on: November 24, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »
No surprise here. Sad to see him leave, but appreciate all the things he contributed to Haken's sound, and wish him the best! Also looking forward to what the future of Haken holds. I'm curious if they're going with a touring keyboardist for the time being, or bringing in a full-time member? I imagine it's actually been a while since Diego "left" so they might have a replacement already, but just aren't saying anything yet out of respect for Diego, and letting people jump on board his other projects first.

The way they recruited Conner was super cool, so I'm curious if they would do that again if they haven't found someone yet.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5659 on: November 24, 2021, 09:45:41 AM »
I wonder if they'll do a quick EP with the new band member, like they did when Connor joined.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5660 on: November 24, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
I wonder if they'll do a quick EP with the new band member, like they did when Connor joined.

Time to re-arrange and re-record the other 3 songs they left from the original demo :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5661 on: November 24, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
Especially if the guy who played on the original recordings is back

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #5662 on: November 24, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
No offense to Ariich's brother, but does he have the chops to replace Diego? Not just anybody can play his parts. I haven't heard his live playing though, so maybe he's just as good.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5663 on: November 24, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
If you dedicate yourself for 10,000 hours, you can become proficient at anything.  ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5664 on: November 24, 2021, 01:12:52 PM »
No offense to Ariich's brother, but does he have the chops to replace Diego? Not just anybody can play his parts. I haven't heard his live playing though, so maybe he's just as good.

Nova Collective.

https://youtu.be/HwPe5jVYKe4

Offline Glasser

« Reply #5665 on: December 02, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
Progressive rockers, Haken, have announced that they have parted ways with keyboardist, Diego Tejeida.

Says the band: "Dear all, we unfortunately have to announce that Diego is leaving us for pastures new. We’d like to thank him for sharing the journey with us so far and we couldn’t be more proud of the music we’ve created over the years. We are so grateful for all of the accomplishments, adventures and good times we’ve shared together. But never fear! Haken will continue with its mission to bring you the music we are passionate about (and we’ll have news on that soon), but in the meantime, join us in wishing Diego all the best in his future musical adventures."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5666 on: December 02, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
Progressive rockers, Haken, have announced that they have parted ways with keyboardist, Diego Tejeida.

Says the band: "Dear all, we unfortunately have to announce that Diego is leaving us for pastures new. We’d like to thank him for sharing the journey with us so far and we couldn’t be more proud of the music we’ve created over the years. We are so grateful for all of the accomplishments, adventures and good times we’ve shared together. But never fear! Haken will continue with its mission to bring you the music we are passionate about (and we’ll have news on that soon), but in the meantime, join us in wishing Diego all the best in his future musical adventures."

Did you not read the entire page before your post? :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5667 on: December 02, 2021, 03:10:47 PM »
Yeah. Heck, even I knew! :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5668 on: December 02, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »
I think it was officially announced by the band over a week ago now.

It's literally being discussed in the posts directly above.   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5669 on: December 02, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »
Also, Mike Portnoy, who once hit the gong on a Haken song, has left Dream Theater.  Statement to follow...